• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#51 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

..... Just as DFW Airport has longer term parking, so should the Intermodal Center so folks leaving Fort Worth in the afternoon for an evening in Dallas won't have worries about parking tickets or worse, being towed, when they return.....

Seriously..an evening in Dallas; why?

Fort Worth over anyone.

If you can get the Mavs to play in Fort Worth, I'm all for it... :)

#52 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

In reply to JBB: no I was not aware of any nearby free parking but have made a note of that for any future forays via the TRE. As for the trip to Dallas, it had been years and years since we were last in Downtown Big-D and our California guest singled out Dealey Plaza as the place he wanted to visit. No, we ourselves would take Sundance Square any day over downtown Dallas. (although the old Red courthouse was pretty cool)  I omitted that we were panhandled several times by homeless folks on our way to Dealey Plaza and going back to Union Station. One enterprising type managed to convince my spouse to buy an expose or conspiracy theory type tabloid about the Kennedy assassination for an inflated price. Fewer panhandler types are present in DT Fort Worth, thankfully.

#53 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

..... Just as DFW Airport has longer term parking, so should the Intermodal Center so folks leaving Fort Worth in the afternoon for an evening in Dallas won't have worries about parking tickets or worse, being towed, when they return.....

Fort Worth over anyone.

I don't know if you've noticed, but urban Dallas genuinely has a *lot* to recommend it these days.

--

Kara B.

#54 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

Fort Worth over anyone.

I don't know if you've noticed, but urban Dallas genuinely has a *lot* to recommend it these days.

The idea of someone leaving Downtown Fort Worth for an evening in Dallas strikes me as sounding "suburban" as if Fort Worth is just another suburb of "City Dallas" and lacks enough of its own recommendable evening adventures.  Except for those, as pointed out by Not Sure,  who must attend a professional sports event at the American Airlines Center,  I echo the remarks made by the Mayor and others at the Sundance Square Plaza that Fort Worth's goal is to be a destination city of itself.

Fort Worth over anyone!

#55 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

Fort Worth over anyone.

The idea of someone leaving Downtown Fort Worth for an evening in Dallas strikes me as sounding "suburban" as if Fort Worth is just another suburb of "City Dallas" and lacks enough of its own recommendable evening adventures.  Except for those, as pointed out by Not Sure,  who must attend a professional sports event at the American Airlines Center,  I echo the remarks made by the Mayor and others at the Sundance Square Plaza that Fort Worth's goal is to be a destination city of itself.

Fort Worth over anyone!

I remember a restaurant around here where the servers wore t-shirts that proclaimed, "life is too short to live in Dallas," a sentiment I heartily agree with. Other than the Stars and Mavs, really, why go?

#56 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:09 AM

Haha, funny thing is I take the TRE to Dallas all the time. But never once have I gone anywhere other than to a Stars game with. 

Dallas is fine and dandy and has it's own great offerings, but I'll stick with FW.

#57 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

I don't give a care at all about any of the sports franchises - I genuinely enjoy going to several areas of central-city Dallas these days.  It's made massive progress.  Deep Ellum, Oak Cliff, Main Street in downtown, Uptown, *especially* Greenville, etc. - there's some fantastic places in Dallas now.  Lowest Greenville's transformation of late is one of the most impressive things I've seen in Texas from an urbanism/placemaking perspective, given how quickly it's advanced.  And there are some great businesses in these areas.

It's not like fifteen years ago, when people could legitimately say that Sundance Square was the "best" urban revitalization in the region/state/whatever and nothing else was comparable.  Not only have other parts of Fort Worth made rapid progress, but a lot of other cities have caught up/edged out in some respects.  It is instructive and beneficial to visit and enjoy what other cities have done, and learn from them, including Dallas - they are doing a lot of good.  Not only are they massively better at transit than we are, but they really have gotten better at building enjoyable, livable neighborhoods and streets.  I am happy to commend Dallas on what they've done and it's nonsensical to let some old-fashioned civic isolationism deny you the chance to experience some great stuff very close by and learn what we might do differently and what we do better.

--

Kara B.

#58 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

I am happy to commend Dallas on what they've done and it's nonsensical to let some old-fashioned civic isolationism deny you the chance to experience some great stuff very close by and learn what we might do differently and what we do better.

Hear, hear!

• JBB likes this
The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#59 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

I am happy to commend Dallas on what they've done and it's nonsensical to let some old-fashioned civic isolationism deny you the chance to experience some great stuff very close by and learn what we might do differently and what we do better.

Amon Carter is weeping in his grave.

My blog: Doohickie

#60 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

..... I am happy to commend Dallas on what they've done and it's nonsensical to let some old-fashioned civic isolationism deny you the chance to experience some great stuff very close by and learn what we might do differently and what we do better.

Well stated.

#61 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

There are also lessons Fort Worth can learn from Dallas on what not to do. I agree with the sentiment that Fort Worth can learn from Dallas, and that one should visit it occasionally; likewise for the opposite trip as well, Dallas can learn from Fort Worth too.

#62 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:57 AM

TRE was involved in it's 3rd vehicle-train crash since Oct. 1. tonight

#63 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

I look at it differently.  If you don't go over there from time to time it's hard to belittle Dallas for its failings with any credibility.  The TRE is pretty handy for getting to Dallas from Fort Worth.

I am still very much of the opinion that Dallas leaves me feeling empty and unfulfilled overall, but honestly you can't have a city that large and be awful at everything.  There's some cool stuff over there.

But Dallas still is in the bottom decile of cities that I'd be interested in taking a train to visit.

Edit:  Adjusted to accomodate Rule #9 below.

#64 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

A gentle reminder of the forum rules. No. 9 in particular:

Civic pride is one of the greatest assets of any community until degraded into petty ridicule of other communities. We will not be host to the mischievous degradation of any community. City by city comparisons are inevitable and often can provide insights to possible civic improvements. All forum members must be sensitive that these comparisons do not become an unproductive competition trying to tarnish another community.
Likewise, pursuing a similarly divisive approach with any topic will not be permitted. A healthy debate is always welcome, but decorum is a requirement. Bashing of other cities, particularly Dallas, is not allowed and may result in an immediate ban.

I hope we can return the focus of the thread to relevant discussion of the TRE. Thx.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#65 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

You're no fun, Andy.

#66 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

Just trying to do my job and keep things easy on John. As your reply is irrelevant to the thread topic, I have taken the liberty to delete it.  (Just kidding).

#67 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

I think that it's good to have some of these sidebar conversations. I've had many since I first started posting in 1997. :swg:

#68 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

In regards to the TRE, I think it's great to get to a downtown Dallas job or an event at the AAC, but I think that a line from North Fort Worth to North Dallas/Addison would be more beneficial for traffic problems and pollution.

#69 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

I responded to a TRE survey via e-mail today.  Focus was on the quality of their recent advertising ("train your brain" or something like that).  The ads are sharp, positive and upbeat.  One question asked, "does the quality of the ad make you more likely to consider riding the TRE?"   Well, nice advertising, as I see it, helps you view their service more favorably.  But does the ad influence your decision to ride the trains?  Yes, I suppose the ads about going to the AA Center for Mav games or to Dallas to see the Stars do remind me of how easy to get there by train.  But I'm not a fan of the Mavericks or the Stars, so I won't go by train or car.

And, too, the ads don't convince me to ride the trains to and from work simply because there are no such trains to and from downtown Fort Worth.  Sure, if there was a train near where I live in southwest Fort Worth that goes downtown (where I work), I'd consider taking the train instead of going by car.

#70 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

I appear to be unable to post a link. But if you go to http://www.texrail.c...tStatement.aspx, you can look at the Final Environmental Impact Statement for the TEXRail line, posted recently. Feel free to review and discuss.

#71 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

Dart started operations from the airport to downtown today. Curious how this will affect TRE ridership.

#72 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

I agree with the assessments I have read of the probable mix of passengers the DART Airport line will carry; more airport employees and fewer airline passengers. TRE is not a very useful alternative for some airport-based employees who have to pay steep rates for employee parking as there is no Sunday or after-hours service. My bet is that the TRE would have a lot more regular riders if it provided more "regular" service, as many airport employees don't work 9-to-5 M-F hours. DART on the other hand is 7 day, 22 hours a day service. Irving has already become the preferred residence for many of these folks, some of who used to live in Euless, Bedford, or further west from the airport.

#73 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

That wreaks of inferiority complex. If I lived in Baltimore and people visited from out of town and wanted to go to DC to see the National Mall, I wouldn't take that to mean that Baltimore is a mere suburb of Washington. It's just a neighboring city. People who live along the east coast take day trips like that all the time. It doesn't imply that one city is somehow better than another.

#74 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

I remember a restaurant around here where the servers wore t-shirts that proclaimed, "life is too short to live in Dallas," a sentiment I heartily agree with. Other than the Stars and Mavs, really, why go?

To change things up. I would never live in Dallas, but it's okay to visit once in a while.

#75 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

The idea of someone leaving Downtown Fort Worth for an evening in Dallas strikes me as sounding "suburban" as if Fort Worth is just another suburb of "City Dallas" and lacks enough of its own recommendable evening adventures.

That wreaks of inferiority complex. If I lived in Baltimore and people visited from out of town and wanted to go to DC to see the National Mall wouldn't take that to mean that Baltimore is a mere suburb of Washington.

Baltimore to Washington is a poor analogy.  What other American city can be compared to the uniqueness of the National Capital for a visit? The post [#48] referred to an "evening" and not a day trip.

However, night life in Baltimore or any major city, like a Fort Worth, should have the critical mass of entertainment options available to to its citizens so as to offer them a local night out on the town; or else it is a Hurst and it is a suburban. 

Accept for a pro game at AAC, it does strike me as odd and not a sense of inferiority that someone in Fort Worth would find it necessary to travel from Fort Worth to Dallas just to have a night out on the town.  It is strange to imagine that when one goes out for an evening, one imagines that evening taking place 30 miles away.

#76 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

Accept for a pro game at AAC, it does strike me as odd and not a sense of inferiority that someone in Fort Worth would find it necessary to travel from Fort Worth to Dallas just to have a night out on the town.  It is strange to imagine that when one goes out for an evening, one imagines that evening taking place 30 miles away.

I don't find it strange at all.  Dallas has a greater variety of dining options, attracts a greater variety of live music, has several revitalizing central-city neighborhoods with a lot to offer (and more variety than just restaurants, which seems to be FW's default tenant option), etc. etc. etc.

--

Kara B.

#77 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

Buried in today's Star-Telegram report about Amtrak is good news about the TRE:

In addition to providing better Amtrak service, the plan includes adding track to the TRE line, officials said. By double-tracking portions of the TRE line, TRE will be able to operate more commuter trains, and run the Monday-through-Saturday service more frequently, they said.

#78 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:45 PM

Austin train frequencies will more than double after their double tracking is complete:

http://impactnews.co...rail-expansion/

As I posted in the Amtrak thread, I'm hoping to see dramatic frequency increases with the TRE as well.

------------

Side note: I might be riding the TRE to downtown tomorrow.

-Dylan

#79 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

In addition to providing better Amtrak service, the plan includes adding track to the TRE line, officials said. By double-tracking portions of the TRE line, TRE will be able to operate more commuter trains, and run the Monday-through-Saturday service more frequently, they said.

This is certainly welcome news.  But I have a cautionary note:  If the authorities involved "get used" to the slower but convenient (and economical) speed of the Amtrak commuter line between Dallas and Fort Worth, will the momentum for substituting it with a high-speed rail line between our two cities itself be slowed?  The authorities might just as well conclude, "why bother?"

#80 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

This is certainly welcome news.  But I have a cautionary note:  If the authorities involved "get used" to the slower but convenient (and economical) speed of the Amtrak commuter line between Dallas and Fort Worth, will the momentum for substituting it with a high-speed rail line between our two cities itself be slowed?  The authorities might just as well conclude, "why bother?"

Amtrak's Texas Eagle has been running between Fort Worth and Dallas for decades. It's also runs to San Antonio and Texarkana too.  But Amtrak doesn't run between Dallas and Houston. Hmmm, you might be on to something there.....

I hope you aren't suggesting killing the Texas Eagle and Heartland Flyer hoping to encourage private enterprise to fill the new void! :)

#81 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:39 PM

Amtrak's Texas Eagle has been running between Fort Worth and Dallas for decades. It's also runs to San Antonio and Texarkana too.  But Amtrak doesn't run between Dallas and Houston. Hmmm, you might be on to something there.....

Part of your statement is not factually true.  You can take Amtrak between Dallas and Houston. 

What you are saying is what Amtrak knows.  The greatest potential of service is along the Dallas to Fort Worth to Austin Route.  It is also what future rail planners will admit to also.

#82 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:36 AM

Part of your statement is not factually true.  You can take Amtrak between Dallas and Houston. 

It's approximately 250 miles between Dallas and Houston. A train averaging a slow 40 mph should be able to travel that distance in 6 hours.

By taking two trains, you can travel to Houston from Dallas by train in 23.33 hours at the least, and on the days you have an extra layover day in San Antonio because the Sunset Limited doesn't run every day, in 47.33 hours. Pick the most wrong day to leave Dallas and the trip would take 71.33 hours. 

Per http://www.amtrak.co...dule-110214.pdf and http://www.amtrak.co...dule-110214.pdf

The Texas Eagle leaves Dallas at 1150 and arrives in San Antonio at 2155, The Sunset Limited leaves San Antonio at 0625 and arrives in Houston at 1110 (on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday)

At the shortest elapse time, your average speed would be 10.7 mph, at the longest elapse time your average speed would be 3.5 mph.  Compared to the 90 minutes elapse time proposed by Texas Central, Amtrak really doesn't serve the Dallas to Houston market effectively. 

#83 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:37 AM

With an average speed of 10.7 mph, and I have no reason to doubt your calculations, the fact that Amtrak doesn't serve the Dallas-to-Houston market "effectively" is an overstatement.

#84 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:42 PM

Doesn't serve it al all.. 

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#85 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

Interesting post from Dallas Metropolis forum.
It concerns the need for commuter rail between downtown fw - arlington entertainment district - downtown dallas.
Someone comments at the end that this commuter rail would hurt the parking revenue at cowboys stadium - therefore jerry will try to kill it.

http://forum.dallasm...ts-events/page6

All this re-emphasizes the need for trains between the Arlington Stadiums and the two downtowns. On one hand we've got influential political and business leaders trying to invent a reason to raise the cash to build high speed rail service between Dallas and Fort Worth, while the sentiment on the street maintains hostility to public transportation. Outstanding commuter train service along the entertainment corridor could and would carry thousands more people per day and cost 20-30% less than the HSR extension. Even after the I-35 HSR train runs to downtown Dallas and DFW Airport, Fort Worth will be doing good to get the HSR extension, let alone Arlington. anyway....

With the easier transportation to the cities and their overnight accommodations and activities, perhaps the Arlington Stadiums would actually gain the defacto go to setting for national broadcasters. The real estate for the all encompassing Glorypark failure is still there, and still waiting.
The problem is Jerry. He purposefully took the room under the sales tax cap that Arlington had available to ensure they'd never get transit. He will lobby the powers that be in Arlington to block any access to his stadium that does not involve paying for parking. He's done the calculation and determined that an extra event or two won't make up for the lost parking revenue associated with transit access to the stadium.

#86 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:39 PM

... On one hand we've got influential political and business leaders trying to invent a reason to raise the cash to build high speed rail service between Dallas and Fort Worth...Even after the I-35 HSR train runs to downtown Dallas and DFW Airport, Fort Worth will be doing good to get the HSR extension, let alone Arlington. anyway....

Two things about your remarks I find puzzling and I will address:

There is no need to invent a reason to raise cash to build HSR between Fort Worth and Dallas unless you believe that TCR project will actually become a reality.  I certainly don't find them to be very credible. I predict that the politicians inventing a reason to connect a link between the two cities will be of Dallas to the OK-TX-MEX HSR via FW.

This will be the first time that I have heard that the OK-TX-MEX  I35 HSR corridor to have been designated as I35E.  Is that a Dallas Forum interpretation?

Commuter rail and HSR are apples to oranges.

#87 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:18 AM

I think the poster meant to say commuter rail instead of HSR.
Getting a high speed rail line between Dallas and Fort Worth will happen in the year 2060 (if ever)

#88 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:26 AM

It would be nice if that line was more than just freight (maybe Amtrak uses it?). It runs directly through the historic downtown areas of Grand Prarie, Arlington, and Handley, within a few blocks of UTA and TWU, nearby the Arlington Entertainment district, near major employers such as the GM plant and NAS Dallas. (Though, if you turned up to work at GM on a train you'd probably be fired instantly)

Dark Blue-TRE

Light Blue-TexRail

Red-talked about above

ESr4C7s.png

#89 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:14 AM

Amtrak is about to switch to the TRE line.

#90 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:24 AM

The problem is Jerry. He purposefully took the room under the sales tax cap that Arlington had available to ensure they'd never get transit. He will lobby the powers that be in Arlington to block any access to his stadium that does not involve paying for parking. He's done the calculation and determined that an extra event or two won't make up for the lost parking revenue associated with transit access to the stadium.

This has me puzzled.  Your statement may prove true, but I have to wonder about Jerry's financial calculations.  Parking revenue is undoubtedly lucrative, but is it that weighty a factor in the overall revenue picture for "Jerry's World?"  Surely, Mr. Jones is not so dumb a businessman as to overlook the potential increase in revenue flow from HSR passengers coming to Arlington from both Fort Worth and Dallas to attend his events.  Such revenue flow could offset whatever price he would pay for diminished parking fees.  And, too, Mr. Jones would just have to do more marketing to get more lucrative events to his stadium (which is probably not that difficult to do, as we've witnessed with the various sporting games and music concerts that go there).

#91 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:58 AM

He's selling out the stadium for every event, regardless of how the patrons are getting there. If they're coming in on rail, where's the revenue increase coming from if the event is sold out anyway?

#92 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

I think the poster meant to say commuter rail instead of HSR.
Getting a high speed rail line between Dallas and Fort Worth will happen in the year 2060 (if ever)

"All this re-emphasizes the need for trains between the Arlington Stadiums and the two downtowns. On one hand we've got influential political and business leaders trying to invent a reason to raise the cash to build high speed rail service between Dallas and Fort Worth, while the sentiment on the street maintains hostility to public transportation. Outstanding commuter train service along the entertainment corridor could and would carry thousands more people per day and cost 20-30% less than the HSR extension. Even after the I-35 HSR train runs to downtown Dallas and DFW Airport, Fort Worth will be doing good to get the HSR extension, let alone Arlington. anyway...."

I think if you replace the "I-35" with "I-45" the posting will make perfect sense.

#93 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

RD Milholin, I think there isn't so much "hostility" to public transportation as there is discontent and apathy.  Discontent because the current systems are not as efficient as we'd like for reasons such as too many stops making the ride too time-consuming and so rigid as to time and place as to diminish our sense of freedom and independence in our travel.  And apathy because the almighty automobile provides greater efficiency (unless, of course, there is traffic congestion) and a greater sense of freedom and independence (you can come and go on your own time and to your own place).  The latter means that we generally prefer motor vehicles and tend to ignore public transit.  But, I might consider commuter rail if it got me from point A to point B in quick time and if ever and whenever I needed it.

JBB, I didn't know Jerry's events were sell-outs and, if true, you've got a good point.  But I can't see how making it easier for event goers to get there would harm him financially (aside from the parking fee issue).  One thing I've mentioned in the Forum in the past was that when I was a Fort Worth ambassador volunteering at the ITC station during Super Bowl  week (2010?) a father and son who just got off the Amtrak from one of the competing cities (Pittsburgh?) asked me how to get to the Super Bowl party in Arlington.  No buses or trains, just a taxi or maybe a shuttle, I had to tell them.  It was somewhat embarrassing advice.

#94 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

Outside of high school football, I don't know of any events that haven't filled the available seating. The Cowboys are certainly not losing money from a lack of rail transit and, if they are, they're probably making it up somewhere else. He owns all of the parking lots around the stadium and would lose money if people weren't bringing vehicles. There were a lot of news stories about how difficult it was to get to the stadium for the Super Bowl game itself. You had to be on some sort of sanctioned shuttle service or in a personal vehicle. Walk up patrons were turned away.

#95 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

North Side Station will be a carbon copy of the Richland Hills Station, but with even less use.

I wonder if the city could put some of their mixed-use, urban village zoning in effect for the 28th and Decatur area (or preferably along 28th between the station and 35W)....Otherwise I agree with renamerusk in that the North Side Station will be quite underutilized.....

Segway to TRE from Tarrant Express, again FWTA and DART have allowed a miss opportunity in Richland Hills to go on too long.  RH has steadfastly expressed a lack of enthusiasm for public transportation.  The Bell Station, too, is falling short of its potential. 

If TOD is what FWTA & DART desire, why not close the RH Station and open a new Beach Street @ Airport Fwy in Fort Worth where I believe a successful TOD could be established. I would add the vacant blocks adjacent to the ITC as another TOD location with great potential.

Color me cynical, but so far these agencies seem perfectly satisfied with surface lots instead of transit/retail centers.

#96 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

TRE's TOD has been terrible. Centerport has a lot of development, but not transit oriented. Irving station is pretty pathetic as well.

Grapevine and NRH seem to be ambitious, as does the Berry St station, but the remainder aren't showing much promise.

#97 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:10 PM

Richland Hills is probably happy with their decision to pull out. They lost bus service, but they still have TRE service despite not paying sales tax for it anymore.

-Dylan

#98 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

TRE's TOD has been terrible. Centerport has a lot of development, but not transit oriented. Irving station is pretty pathetic as well.

Grapevine and NRH seem to be ambitious, as does the Berry St station, but the remainder aren't showing much promise.

Commuter rail that comes so infrequently doesn't generate much in the way of TOD anywhere that I've seen.

--

Kara B.

#99 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:50 AM

Commuter rail that comes so infrequently doesn't generate much in the way of TOD anywhere that I've seen.

It's not what type of train it is that matters; and you're correct that it is how often the trains run that counts. 

Commuter rail systems with many lines with low headways converging into one station can affect TODs developments at that one station. Like the TRE and TexRail sharing the ITC and T&P Stations should increase the number of passengers using those stations.

During rush hors, DART runs its light rail trains on each line every 10 minutes - therefore its every 2.5 minutes at those stations where all fur lines merge. 

Ever heard the term McDonalds and other fast food restaurants use for placing their stores? They looked at traffic, the more the better. They called these places of heavy traffic great locations. With trains, frequency of services on a linear line usually is proportional to the amount of traffic the trains have. While individual streets are also linear in nature, I would like to point out that many streets are laid out in grids, with traffic merging and spreading apart at every intersection. Never-the-less, it's the amount of traffic on a stretch of road that attracts businesses to these great locations.

It's traffic that counts most...whichever way it is measured. 

#100 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:43 AM

Using TRE for a day or overnight pleasure trip to Downtown Dallas is a thing to see as a violation of loyalty to Fort Worth as well as part of an adventure across the county line to enjoy what's-not Fort Worth.

Living more than a couple miles from a TRE station probably renders the ride more trouble than it's worth and more than that the Sunday return trip doesn't exist so why bother? From the Fort Worth perspective, though, it's important to consider how many people live within walking distance of a Downtown Dallas TRE station who would come to love such an easy trip to a different city. A long time ago my Dallas gang used to head to Fort Worth for fun, maybe once a month.... primarily to look at art, but the Botanic Garden was a stand alone destination, too. Sometimes we went just to go to 8.0.  I only remember being vaguely aware of TRE, but it was never an option. Spending the night in Fort Worth would have been great during the visits nothing better was happening in Dallas, but specifically spending the night in Fort Worth would have been great when Dallas was so stupid or tiresome or pretentious or boring or lame or we just wanted something different and Austin was too far.... these anecdotes show the best thing about North Texas, two cities, different and fun. 

Probably, overnight trips to Fort Worth will be a steadily growing source of TRE trips as the downtown Dallas area population grows --- IF the Sunday return becomes available. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users