#1 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:23 PM

www.thurbermingus.com

Construction work has been going on for about 6 weeks.

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

The location is 4400 White Settlement Road.  It looks promising.

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

Is that Froggys boat house location?

Either way, another development nearby the river and trails.

#4 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

Does anyone know who's sketch that is or who the architect is if there is one?

#5 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

This place has a soft opening Tuesday/Wednesday and full opening on Thursday. 

#6 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:07 PM

weird name

#7 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

weird name

I think it's a wink or inside joke for people who have driven from Fort Worth toward West Texas: https://goo.gl/maps/fpbBu

#8 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:47 PM

The name is made even more odd by the menu description on their website. Nonetheless, I'm interested in giving it a try.

#9 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:56 PM

Name sounds like a disease diagnosis.  They better hope the food kills it, cause with a name like that, people tend to not remember it after the initial buzz.

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:12 PM

Some of our Palo Pinto County bicycle rides go through both towns.  I also drive through Thurber when I go out to the Davis Mountains for cycling. 

#11 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:46 PM

There are two really good restraunts in TM. The one on New York hill and the smokestack one. Both delicious.

#12 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

Check the about page in the URL the OP gave. It explains the reasoning for the name.

Erik France

#13 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:15 PM

Parking is very limited and the building signage is very difficult to even see.  The food was excellent, but I have some doubts the place will be open a year from now.  Just off the beaten path and hard to get to isn't a winning combination.

#14 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

Parking is very limited and the building signage is very difficult to even see.  The food was excellent, but I have some doubts the place will be open a year from now.  Just off the beaten path and hard to get to isn't a winning combination.

I have the same feeling about the location and the view from the street.  It looks like its in a ditch.  I still need to eat there, though.

#15 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:34 PM

Review of Thurber Mingus, well, actually of Stephen Beatty's recent performance there:

http://www.dfw.com/2...hen-beatty.html

#16 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:03 AM

If you go, make sure you get the nanner pudding for dessert (it comes with a shot of bourbon mixed in!)

My blog: Doohickie

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:05 AM

With Crystal Springs going in up the road I think this will be a good location.... eventually.  Hopefully Thurber Mingus can stick it out long enough to enjoy it.

The location reminds me a bit of Republic Street Bar - a bit off the beaten path right now, but in an area with a bright future.

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:58 AM

From FWBP -Making more news!

http://www.fortworth...cc6542c742.html

(Posted here but might belong in the "Arts and Entertainment: Restaurants" thread). :smwink:

#19 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:36 AM

He needs to tell his staff that Dr. Pepper is a Texas born and raised product.  He has his servers telling folks that since DP isn't from Texas they will not serve it.

Lots of bad reviews on facebook lately about this place--service, attitudes and poor food.

#20 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

Lots of bad reviews on facebook lately about this place--service, attitudes and poor food.

That's a shame. We really liked the place - the food was delicious, and our server went above and beyond. I guess people who have positive experiences aren't as inclined to air their opinions on social media.

#21 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

He needs to tell his staff that Dr. Pepper is a Texas born and raised product.  He has his servers telling folks that since DP isn't from Texas they will not serve it.

Social media, a pillar of trustworthiness - Ha!

Technically, TM might just be correct.  Dr.Pepper is no longer a Texas product.

#22 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

GTHOH with the talk that DP isn't Texan.  I don't care if the British or Canadian parent company.  It was created in Texas and is native Texan.

#23 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

Curiosity got the best of me and I went to their Facebook page. Where are all these "bad reviews" "lately"? I saw 3 since July amongst a whole lot of glowing reviews. 1 mentioned poor service and bad attitudes (and he didn't eat) and the other 2 said the service and staff were great.

#24 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

GTHOH with the talk that DP isn't Texan.  I don't care if the British or Canadian parent company.  It was created in Texas and is native Texan.

Seriously, chill out.

#25 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

Do you have a funny bone in your body renamerusk?  It was obviously a joke about DP and being upset about being Texan or not on my end.

Anyway, about TM, the discussion isn't on their facebook page.  The place has been discussed in Kitchen FW many times.

Good hunting and good luck on having a sense of humor, it might actually work for you.   

#26 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:53 PM

Do you have a funny bone in your body renamerusk?  It was obviously a joke about DP and being upset about being Texan or not on my end.

Anyway, about TM, the discussion isn't on their facebook page.  The place has been discussed in Kitchen FW many times.

Good hunting and good luck on having a sense of humor, it might actually work for you.   

Am I the only one who missed this as merely being [an obvious joke......].  I also obviously missed your emoticon.

Youngalumn - You and I will go a hunting; me for that sense of humor; and maybe you for that sense of discretion.

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:48 PM

Closed after 20 months.

http://www.star-tele...e107992482.html

#28 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:19 PM

My family and I went there once for lunch and never went back.

For a place that put on a family friendly vibe, they had no kids menu and no kids cups.  Not fun paying full price on a fancy burger for a kid that will barely it.

In addition, my wife is a vegetarian and the veggie option that they had on the menu was not available and they had to substitute it with something else.

When we ordered, I think it was one of the owners that was our server, she went on and on about how carefully the chef crafted the menu and that there were no substitutions.

Based on the experience we had I highly doubt the location was the problem as eluded to in the article.

#29 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:37 PM

I totally get where you're coming from, but I rather liked the place.  I wouldn't take my vegetarian wife there; it just wasn't that kind of place.  The kids issues seems valid. 

I usually went either by myself or with a bicycle riding group, and we always got good food and decent service, in a nice atmosphere.

#30 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:36 PM

Last time I went there, the owner/chef was the only person there doing service on a Saturday afternoon.  It took forever to get food as one would expect.  They were out of several items and didn't even have mayonnaise.  I knew right then and there it was a gonner.  Of course I predicted this earlier in this thread.. 

#31 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

I went there with several people and the service was terribly slow and the price point was too high.

Originally it was a sit down place and then they transitioned it to a fast casual place where you ordered when you first came in. The second time we went (when it turned to fast casual), it took 15 mins to get through 3 transactions of couples. Wayy to long for a burger joint. It was doomed.

It was a good concept but poorly executed.

#32 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:34 AM

I only went once.  Place was completely full and they had one waiter serving every table.  My brother and I told the kid working the host stand to go help his buddy, and we took care of his job for him.

#33 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:27 AM

A little birdie told me that Heim is close to finalizing plans for location #2 at the Thurber Mingus spot.  Would be a big jolt for the area.

#34 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:56 PM

A little birdie told me that Heim is close to finalizing plans for location #2 at the Thurber Mingus spot.  Would be a big jolt for the area.

Awesome.  However, one has to be careful with additional locations that the quality of ones product does not suffer when spreading oneself too thin. :smwink:

#35 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:53 PM

Awesome.  However, one has to be careful with additional locations that the quality of ones product does not suffer when spreading oneself too thin. :smwink:

I think the first location has enough brand recognition and is in a dense enough area to carry the two locations. The question is, can Heim support location #2 long enough for the density to accumulate in the newly developed River District and take hold of the location long term?

#36 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

HOLY CHIT that's awesome news for them.

#37 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:26 PM

I've also heard the Heim owners want to do something on S. Main, so they seem to be in a fast expansion mode.

#38 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

The expansion to the Thurber Mingus site is official: http://www.star-tele...e119185023.html

#39 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:41 PM

I've also heard the Heim owners want to do something on S. Main, so they seem to be in a fast expansion mode.

I was thinking about this:  Maybe that was their intent, but if the Thurber Mingus site is available right now, the S Main location will be put on hold for the time being.

The story I heard about their Magnolia location was that it was kind of a serendipitous situation that popped up at the right time.  I could easily see where a similar dynamic occurred with the Thurber Mingus location.  (Heim isn't the only local juggernaut that would do this; the Magnolia location of Stir Crazy Backed Goods came about due to the closing of the cheese place, followed by an abandoning of its conversion to a different format, which made it available for Stir Crazy.  That location became Stir Crazy's lifeboat in light of the extended reconstruction of S Main.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Westside, Replacing Froggys Boathouse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users