#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

The Business Press is reporting that JPS Health Network is planning to bring a 100 mile bicycle rally back to Downtown Fort Worth. Fort Worth proper has not had a bicycle rally in a number of years since the Cowntown Classic cut out the 100 mile route and moved the start to the far southern reaches of the city. The ride is planned for June 23, 2013 and will be billed as a warm up for the huge 14,000 participant Hotter'n Hell Hundred held in late August in Wichita Falls. Routes will be 100, 50, 25, and 6.2 miles.

Below is the link to the story:
http://www.fwbusines...ArticleID=19181

#2 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Kind of exciting. I think this might be my first century. I couldn't see going through all the fuss of getting a hotel in Wichita Falls, but heck I can ride to the start of this one and make it 120 miles.
My blog: Doohickie

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

Doohickie, you have a year to train for that first century (or 120 miles). You could even shoot for an unofficial 200K (124.27 miles).

As for the big ride in Wichita Falls, I have heard that the closest rooms available are here in Fort Worth. If that is true, you might as well just stay home and not go, or drive up there on the morning of the ride. I have done that before, ridden the century, and then driven home. The hardest part was driving home that afternoon.

If you are really looking to do a big ride on that day, the FWBA has the Hot 'Nuff Here Century, and the start location is in SW Fort Worth.

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Since I live in SW FtW, that would be even better. And if I bonk I can just get the wife to sag me home.
My blog: Doohickie

#5 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

This is great. I think they should plan for at least 10,000 riders.

#6 Roger_H

Roger_H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

I've never done a century, my longest was the 100k. However, I agree about staying at home and driving up there the morning of the ride. I've had friends stay in some of the motels outside of Wichita Falls and they report they are pretty sketchy. Sounds like a good deal for Fort Worth.

#7 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

I have some friends that do the HTH in Wichita Falls every year and they take a motor home up and spend the night, then drive home after the ride.

#8 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

Here is a Star-Telegram article about the cycling event:

http://www.star-tele...adlines-default

"a ride that officials would promote as a warm-up to the Hotter'N Hell Hundred held every August in Wichita Falls."

A warm-up, was that an intended pun? At least in June it probably won't be a "Hotter-than-Hotter-than-Hell Race..."

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

Actually, the weather during June of this year has been quite pleasant for cycling. I've been out riding many days this month.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users