In memory of Steve Clark's Content

There have been 2 items by In memory of Steve Clark (Search limited from 19-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#79687 July 10 , 1969 Goat Man

Posted by In memory of Steve Clark on 21 September 2013 - 03:35 PM in Local History

The actual name of this critter was 'The Lake Worth Monster'.  The Goat Man was said to live on the island off of Mosque Point.

The Monster was active in an area above the Lake Worth Nature center that backed up to what was then called 'The Goat Farm', so perhaps this is where the Goat Man confusion comes in.

Google the Goat Farm.  It is a story unto itself.

#79686 The Corral Drive-In Theater

Posted by In memory of Steve Clark on 21 September 2013 - 03:27 PM in Local History

An old thread, but perhaps someone will find this interesting.

I lived on Highland Lake Drive during the early 60's and went to the Corral now and then starting when I was ten.  I would cross Azle Ave., walk across the field that is now covered with shopping, and around to the front.  I would pay (I think) thirty-five cents, and walk in.  Sometimes there were cattle in the field but no Bulls, so they just munched the grass and didn't ever look at me.

The concession stand was attached to an indoor seating area that likely held about 100 seats, and the wall facing the screen was made of several very large glass panels.  These were not windows so much as they were a glass wall.  The sound was better in the indoor area since the outside sound came through those metal speaker boxes that hung on your door and the indoor area used real speakers.

Sometimes the indoor area was almost empty and a few of us kids would get in there and discuss the films as we watched them.  I remember one double billing of 'PT-109' and 'Hootenanny Hoot' and the discussion for both films got really lively.  No one every told us to be silent because with the place being so large and the sound up so loud no one could hear us anyway.

The concession stand was not air-conditioned and was as hot as a sauna.  During those years the only place you could buy a pizza in Lake Worth was the Corral Drive-In and some people would remark that they could not go there without buying one.

There was also a playground down front, under the screen, and it was always filled with kids who had no desire to watch the film.  There was no attendant, and when some kid would fall off a ride, which was just standard playground equipment, everyone would run over to help them.  It was no big deal since everyone in Lake Worth knew each other and if someone was really banged up we knew which car their parents were in.

Sometimes we would lay down on the playground and watch the movies.  Very weird, and the only sound came from all the outdoor speakers that hung on the poles next to the cars.  The sound was delayed and had a bit of an echo, but it was still fun.

After the film I would walk home, but since it was about midnight I would have to walk west down Jacksboro Highway until I reached the shopping center.  I would then cut through there, up Azle to Highland Lake and then down to the bottom of the hill.

At the time Lake Worth was so small no one thought it was odd that a kid was walking down the street at midnight.

And yes, you could stand at the corner of Highland Lake and Azle and watch the films.  You could not hear the sound, but with an action film it was still fun to watch.  I would babysit for the folks that lived in that house a few times and we would always spend some time doing this.  They did it so often that it just seemed normal to them.

Hopefully someone will find this information useful.