#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:23 PM

I saw the DMN article earlier today.  I agree that the building is very interesting.

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:02 AM

Twisting towers had gotten a bit stale over the past few years but this one looks REALLY nice, it looks like the lower floor is 5 sided and the top shrinks to 4. 

#4 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

I'm not a big fan of twisting towers.

- Dylan

#5 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:47 PM

I saw the DMN article earlier today.....

From the same DMN article, there is a reference to a new tower proposal on property owned by the Dallas Symphony Organization and will be built in the Dallas Arts District.  The line that interested me most was that the design will be, get this, a 250K sf structure atop of a multi-story garage with street level retail. 

Now I ask, isn't this what could be done and could be a better use of the site @ Landmark Block/FW instead of a 6 story garage build proposed by XOM?   

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

Renamerusk, of course, the answer is yes.  Another option would be to build a parking garage base with the structure designed to handle a certain sized office building on top, but to be built when the need arises.  However, if you look at the history of those types of buildings, most have been demolished before the upper floors were ever added. 

#7 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:34 PM

However, if you look at the history of those types of buildings, most have been demolished before the upper floors were ever added. 

Not the Continental National Bank/Landmark Tower, it was demolished AFTER the addition was built on.   :laugh:

#8 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:37 PM

Too bad that sort of design wasn't used for a higher-rise residential building.

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:41 AM

RD, you are correct. The old Continental National Bank was demolished after it reached full height.  However, I consider this building a special case.  Construction on the proposed 28 story building was halted by the Korean War, and lack of materials, when they were building the foundation.  It was decided at that point to complete the building up to four stories.  After the war, the design was changed and two more floors plus a clock were added. The building might have never been built higher than four floors. 

The other buildings that I referenced were designed for future expansion vertically and they were intentionally completed at the shorter height.  Many of them never had the upper floors designed.  I might start a new thread on the buildings that were planned for more floors to be added on top and the end results.

#10 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music, photography, games, sci-fi.

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:36 AM

Didn't the CNB tower also change design between the construction of the initial four floors and the completion of the tower?  I remember reading somewhere that the metal tower was a design change to lighten the building to accommodate the weight of the clock.

Re: the Rolex building...it's alright.  I'm not a huge fan of twisty towers, but it seems inoffensive enough at that height.  I'd be curious to see what the ground floor looks like.  The rendering makes it appear to sit behind a bunch of landscaping at street level.

- Architecture/urban planning/transit blogger, Fort Worth Weekly

Fort Worth District 9 Zoning Commissioner

#11 eastfwther

eastfwther

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

^^
This part of Uptown is pretty much an office park, so making the building pedestrian friendly really isn't necessary. I do like that although the building is a mere seven stories, it's not a boring surburban box. My sister has lived in the Dallas downtown and uptown areas for about 8 years now and I can't count the number of new office buildings anymore. Uptown looks like another city moved next to downtown Dallas.

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:13 AM

This is right in the middle of Victory and you're describing it as an office park? I know the area isn't perfect, but "office park" is far from accurate.

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

http://forum.dallasm...Building)/page2

There is another rendering on Dallas Metropolis which shows the lower floors a bit better. 

#14 eastfwther

eastfwther

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:30 PM

This is right in the middle of Victory and you're describing it as an office park? I know the area isn't perfect, but "office park" is far from accurate.

Actually this area is north of Victory Park in what is probably the least predestrian- friendly  part of Uptown. It will be located amongst several other office buildings  near the tollway with zero connectivity to the streets. Plus the street layout is horrible and confusing so why connect to it.  There's very little difference on these few blocks in Dallas and the office park where I work in Las Colinas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users