#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

From time to time, I lead a FWBA Club ride originating out of Burleson. When I lead the ride, I have routes that are completely rural that range from 32 miles up to 84 miles. These routes head almost straight south from Burleson and they pass between Cleburne and Alvarado. From time to time, I also go down there with a few friends to ride and we usually do the 42 mile route that features a stop for food in Sand Flat. The restaurant closes early on Sundays, so we decided to alter the route to not go to Sand Flat. I came up with a direct route from Burleson to Cleburne that allows for a stop in Keene, but doesn't head southeast of Burleson; therefore, we could head further south. This route has a lot of nice scenery, is full of shade for summertime road cycling, and features a little bit of urban riding in Cleburne. The route loops around the Johnson County Courthouse as an architectural feature, but heads out of Cleburne on Anglin Street, which has some great Victorian houses that have been restored. US 67 crosses over the route twice, so there is no messing with that kind of cross traffic. My route also stays off of all of the busy Farm to Market roads, unless you have to make a jog on them to continue on your way. The overall distance is 34.4 miles.

Here's a link to a map and cue sheet that you could print out, or if you have a Garmin bike computer, you can upload it into the device:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/857318

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

I'm surprised no one has commented on the route. It was really a lot of fun. I know we have some cyclists out here on the forum.

#3 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

I looked at it! It made me think of ways I could join up with the route from my normal ride.

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

This route is nice and shady, so it is good for a ride in the summer. I lead a ride for the FWBA originating from the same starting point, but it heads toward Alvarado before making the turn back in Keene. When I planned this ride a couple of weeks ago, I thought it would be fun to ride into Cleburne. So, I took of the sections that parallel I-35W and decided to head out directly to Keene on the normal return route. That allowed us to go into Cleburne with about the same amount of miles. As for adding it to your regular route, that would be great.

Years ago, I rode from my house to all of the neighboring county seats. After I did this Cleburne ride, I suggested to my friend that we ride from home. We live real close to each other, so the difference in the distance would not be very far. When I rode to Cleburne years ago, I basically followed the Cleburne Road. The distance for that ride was 66 miles and it was an out and back route. Due to the Chisholm Trail Parkway and US 67 construction, it is not impossible to enter Cleburne from those roads. So, I have come up with a new route that does follow Cleburne Road and then heads east north of US 67, enters Cleburne on the way we left a couple of weeks ago, then heads out of town on part of my last route into town. It then follows the same route back to Burleson, then cuts across town and comes into Crowley from the south. It then heads west and joins up with the outbound portion and splits off again, staying east of Cleburne Road. My new loop into Cleburne is 68 miles round trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users