Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Southwest/Chisholm Trail Parkway

• Please log in to reply
390 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the Southwest/Chisholm Trail Parkway really needed? (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the Southwest Parkway really needed?

1. Yes, It's pure pork, but let's build it anyway. (3 votes [3.41%])

Percentage of vote: 3.41%

2. Yes, It's a viable, needed roadway. (39 votes [44.32%])

Percentage of vote: 44.32%

3. No, It's donation to the land developers in SW Tarrant. (14 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

4. No, We should be spending money on other projects/transit. (28 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

5. Undecided. (4 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#251 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

I know that. There were two completely separate thoughts. The first was in response to the post preceding it:

"Also, look for the closure of West Rosedale Street between University Drive and Lovell Avenue to occur soon."

"Is that where the University ramp will be?"

The second was a response to the picture:

"Posted Image"

"This picture seems so quaint right now."

I know the spot well. It was a regular part of my bicycle commute for two years.
My blog: Doohickie

#252 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

If by "University ramp" you mean from the new parkway, that would be a no. If I remember correctly, after it starts at Summit, the next exits from either direction are at Montgomery and Stonegate (or is that Clear Fork Main?).

#253 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

Handy map of the project for this section. http://www.ntta.org/...f9_HALFSIZE.pdf

#254 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

Ah, I see now. The CTP crowds out Rosedale. I think if it were a priority, they could have kept Rosedale connectivity using the CTP ramps but they didn't bother.

#255 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

Ah, I see now. The CTP crowds out Rosedale. I think if it were a priority, they could have kept Rosedale connectivity using the CTP ramps but they didn't bother.

Can you be more specific about where "connectivity" is lacking? It looks to me that there is a lot of ways to get from one roadway to another in most every direction, this in a relatively small area with a lot of roads going in several different directions. I can't see where any existing connection between any two existing roads is sacrificed in favor of yielding space for the new tollway.

#256 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

Rosedale isn't being crowded out. CTP will run between the railroad track/Vickery and I-30 from Summit to University. It will cross under the Rosedale to West Vickery ramps just west of Rogers. I'm assuming that the coming closure of Rosedale is so that the bridges can be altered to make room for the new roadway similar to what was done to the I-30 to Rosedale ramps earlier this year.

#257 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

John, might I suggest we split this thread one for construction and one for pros cons of the project and or the design / route?

#258 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

Can you be more specific about where "connectivity" is lacking?

I'm talking about the connectivity from Rosedale (east of University) to Lovell/Vickery (west of University). I see now that the westbound route will be pretty much the same, and after looking at the map I can see that there will be a way to get from Vickery to Rosedale going eastbound, but it is no longer a direct-flow ramp. Instead, a driver would need to turn right onto the extension of Montgomery, then left onto the CTP ramp. When I looked earlier I didn't see that path. It's there, just not as effortless as it used to be.

#259 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

I will try to split this thread up between construction and pros and cons for the project sometime this week.

#260 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:06 PM

Thanks!

#261 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

Nice today , so I walked some of the contstruction area today at Arbor Lawn. I expected more done. The huge sound wall along country day is complete the frontage road along is poured. Columns for Arbor Lawn are up, but no approaches for the east. curious how they plan to handle drainage as it borderline wetlands down in some sections of the area

#262 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hmmm..... Well, I had been planning to split the topic for some time, but it seems like I do not have permission to do that. I still seem to have moderator functions, they're just not functioning.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#263 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

Andy, I re-entered your status as this forum's moderator. I don't know why it is not working.

#264 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

TxDOT has been warning drivers of the impending closure of Insurance Ln and EB exit from 183. They opened the WB frontage road this past week, eliminating the detour around the construction of the new bridge. NTTA send weekly email about the timeline for removal of the bridge and the start of the reconstruction and lowering of 183.

Hulen street bridge appears to continue their work, but focus appears to be getting NB Hulen open at Vickery stoplight. Should help with traffic flow.

IH 30 they are stacking concrete barriers, for installation along 30, my guess waiting for stock show to end then start narrowing the lanes.

Anyone know if they are doing much south of 20 yet?

#265 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

They are working south of I-20. I was on Oakmont last week and they were moving dirt in that location.

#266 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

TxDOT has been warning drivers of the impending closure of Insurance Ln and EB exit from 183.

I found out "the hard way" yesterday that the EB ENTRANCE at Bryant Irvin is also closed. When I tried to get on there, there is no way to enter 183. Instead, the access road ends at the southbound Chisholm Trail access road, which leads to the westbound I-20 access road, which took me back to where I started. :angry:

Lesson learned, I guess.

And yes, they are working diligently south of I-20, all the way past Dirks Road.

#267 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

It might be interesting to do a forum bike ride where we ride from far South Fort Worth along the roads that parallel the parkway all the way down to Cleburne.

I go through the construction zone on I-20 and westbound 183 every morning to work now since we moved near the Traffic Circle. I return home on I-30 & either Forest Park or 8th Avenue. I sometimes used to shop at the big box stores near 183 and Bryant Irvin, but due to existing traffic congestion and the road construction, I don't even go over there anymore. Lately, I've been frequenting the stores on 183 near Green Oaks.

#268 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

I drive in the Hulen area quite a bit. I've learned the workarounds. But yeah... it's kind of bad right now.

#269 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

Does anyone know the height of the tallest ramp in the freeway stack at Chisolm and I-20? While I'm not a huge fan of the money being spent on this project, I do appreciate a good freeway interchange and this one is going to be the most impressive in Tarrant County I think. Would be interesting to know how the highest ramps compare with downtown FW or the High Five in Dallas.

#270 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

Does anyone know the height of the tallest ramp in the freeway stack at Chisolm and I-20?

The bottom of this map shows that interchange. Maybe someone with more expertise can translate it into height. I see at least one spot where the stack will have four levels of ramps: I-20, CTP, ramp from NB CTP to WB I-20, and ramp from WB I-20 to SB CTP.

I might be most excited that there will finally be a ramp from Hulen directly to westbound I-20 ... no more having to wait in a bottleneck at Bryant Irvin just to get on the freeway.

#271 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

I might be most excited that there will finally be a ramp from Hulen directly to westbound I-20 ... no more having to wait in a bottleneck at Bryant Irvin just to get on the freeway.

Everything old is new again. We had such a ramp in 1990.

#272 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

Does anyone know the height of the tallest ramp in the freeway stack at Chisolm and I-20?

The bottom of this map shows that interchange. Maybe someone with more expertise can translate it into height. I see at least one spot where the stack will have four levels of ramps: I-20, CTP, ramp from NB CTP to WB I-20, and ramp from WB I-20 to SB CTP.

It is actually a 5 level stack once you count the access roads. We also have 5 levels at I-35W/I-20 and in the downtown stack as well, so this one should be comparable to those in terms of height. It's also more complicated than most because the 183 confluence adds ramps that you wouldn't normally have in a regular two freeway interchange. Will be cool to see how it all comes together.

#273 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Good rendering and fly over animation here...

#274 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

I love the cars they selected. I can't tell which direction is NSEW.

#275 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

I love the cars they selected. I can't tell which direction is NSEW.

Through about the 0:26 mark, you are following 183 eastward into the interchange. 183 is the through road that is recessed into the ground. After the fade, you are looking south along the Chisholm Trail Parkway; the building that looks like it has its corner cut off is Kohl's. Maybe that helps.

#276 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

Doohickie, you are correct. The building with the corner cut off is Kohl's. It was built that way to clear the right-of-way for the exit ramp and service road.

#277 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

There's a story in this morning's Star-Telegram about the road's progress -- and fewer complaints. Plus some cool aerial photos.

Signs of progress evident on Chisholm Trail Parkway

In the second picture, I'm wondering what necessitates the extra concentration of piers south of Overton Ridge. I don't think there's a complicated interchange that far south of I-20.

#278 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

There's a story in this morning's Star-Telegram about the road's progress -- and fewer complaints. Plus some cool aerial photos.

Signs of progress evident on Chisholm Trail Parkway

In the second picture, I'm wondering what necessitates the extra concentration of piers south of Overton Ridge. I don't think there's a complicated interchange that far south of I-20.

So sorry! Didn't know you had already posted the article.

#279 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Being 105 feet above the ground, technically, if one drives on SH 183, it would be 145 feet! High Five interchange is 140 feet above the ground - when driving on US 75.

#280 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

I think the reason why there are so many columns being placed here is that this is where all the ramps are diverging away and merging into the main lanes from the I-20/TX 183 interchange. At Overton Ridge, the parkway has to go over the boulevard and go over the creek. That's why there are bridges there. The service roads are also planned to go over the creek.

#281 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

HA! Everyone can keep their mixmasters, we have a "spaghetti bowl"! I love the name; hope it sticks.

#282 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

Maybe the hi-way engineers used to work at Six Flags over Texas ?

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#283 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:48 AM

Not Spaghetti Bowl - is that in Atlanta or Las Vegas?

How about the Star [Interchange} - an interchange going into five directions?

Please use your creativity with the word star.

#284 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Big Star, Lone Star, Southwest Star, Road Star, Toll Star, Death Star, Fort Worth Tarrant, DFW, FWD, Metroplex Star, Spanish Star, Cintra Star, Overton Star, Hulen Star, ...

Since it is being built in conjunction with the Chisholm Trail road, how about:

The Stampede: "A wild and uncontrollable run by a herd of spooked cattle or horses"

#285 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

Big Star, Lone Star, Southwest Star, Road Star, Toll Star, Death Star, Fort Worth Tarrant, DFW, FWD, Metroplex Star, Spanish Star, Cintra Star, Overton Star, Hulen Star, ...

The Stampede: "A wild and uncontrollable run by a herd of spooked cattle or horses"

How about (in the tradition of Fort Worth Cowtown puns) "The Cattle Chute"? When traffic gets backed up we could call it "The Holding Pen".

#286 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

+1 to both above.

Cattle Chute - that's a good one, if this interchange plans to have a steep merge (if going west-south direction on High Five). Can anyone confirm it?

#287 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

This came up in conversation today, and the name that seemed appropriate was The Flying Spaghetti Monster. ;)

#288 urbancowboy

urbancowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sustainable, Livable, Urbanism

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

I like cattle shoot.

#289 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

A few days ago I traveled 183 from the circle into I-20.  All I can say is wow, is it in the bottom of a deep canyon.

#290 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Why can't I see the latest posts? The last I see is 25 March.

#291 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

The board automatically records the most recent poll vote as the latest post.  So, if someone voted between now and March then you will get a notification of a new post.  It appears the last written post was in March.  I think that is a setting that can be turned off. 

#292 Funkutown Retro Retro

Funkutown Retro Retro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Any new updates on this?

#293 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

There's a thread about it, but no one has posted in awhile.

Construction is under way along the full length of the road and I still hear that it is set to open late 2014.  The interchanges at I-20 and I-30 still have a long way to go, but it looks like much of the roadway is nearing completion in between and south of those interchanges.  There's a lot of work still ongoing on bridges and overpasses along the way.  At I-30, some of the milestones that were mentioned as happening late-spring or early summer haven't happened yet: permanent closure of the westbound Forest Park exit, temporary closure of the eastbound University entrance ramp, opening of the newly constructed eastbound lanes of I-30 (although that looks to be well under way and the 2 closures may be dependent on that happening).  There still seems to be lot of work left to go on the stretch between University and Montgomery.  I'm more familiar with the work happening north of I-20 since that's the area where I spend much of my time,

#294 Funkutown Retro Retro

Funkutown Retro Retro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

I can't wait til its complete!!

#295 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

The two threads have been merged.

#296 Funkutown Retro Retro

Funkutown Retro Retro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

I love mergers!!

#297 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

I cross through the parkway construction area on I-20/TX 183 in the morning and back through it on I-30 in the afternoon, and I see progress every day on the interchanges.  I also ride the Trinity Trail about once a week, and I also see changes with the roadway every time that I ride.  I can tell you that work is progressing at a regular pace.

#298 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

I can't wait til its complete!!

I agree.  However, I wish it was never started...

It's a huge inconvenience on those who live in FW proper to benefit those who don't...After it's done, it seems like it will be in the way of the locals' surface travel.

#299 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Just was looking at Google Earth. 

Seems the Cleburne to Fort Worth toll road aerial images have been updated [10Apr2013] to see the new construction. 

North end of the toll road are bit messy even zoomed in between Forest Park Blvd and Summit/ I 30.   

You can see pictures of the bridge work  at Sycamore School Road and other road crossing points farther south to Cleburne.  Alot of creek box culverts going in.  Looks like the right-of-way clearing and grading sort of stops when intersecting HW 67 on North Side Cleburne.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#300 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Yes, US 67 and Nolan River is the end of the road for the parkway.  Please pardon the pun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users