Photo
- - - - -

3 Mixed Use Buildings Proposed for Lancaster Ave.

Downtown Lancaster Corridor New Development Mixed-Use

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:23 AM

During their work session the Downtown Design Review Board will be hearing about three mixed use buildings that are proposed for the north side of Lancaster between Monroe and Throckmorton Streets. It appears this is the first new construction proposed for the Lancaster Corridor. I don't have any more details than this. The board won't be voting on the project this month. After they hear about it coming up on their agenda, they have some time to ponder over the new structures. When the time is right, the developer will then apply for their review. It could be as fast as the following month. The Downtown Design Review Board Meets on Thursday, December 1st at 1:30 PM for their work session and at 2:00 PM for the voting portion of their agenda.

#2 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

Nice - things are looking up! Now if the housing market would just loosen up, we could sell our house and live downtown and enjoy all these new buildings!
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#3 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

Now they should tear down the hideous wall on the south side of the Water Gardens and really open that area to the cooridor.

#4 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

I'm excited to see what they're planning.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#5 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

The Star-Telegram article by Diane Smith below is about TCC’s main offices moving from 1500 Houston Street to the Trinity River campus. My only interest is the abandonment of the May Owen Center building on Houston at Lancaster. Is it anyone's guess if this is indirectly connected with the recent plans to build three office/commercial structures along Lancaster Avenue near Houston and that some of the existing structures (including the May Owen Center building) need to be cleared away?

http://www.star-tele...adlines-default

#6 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

The Star-Telegram article by Diane Smith below is about TCC's main offices moving from 1500 Houston Street to the Trinity River campus. My only interest is the abandonment of the May Owen Center building on Houston at Lancaster. Is it anyone's guess if this is indirectly connected with the recent plans to build three office/commercial structures along Lancaster Avenue near Houston and that some of the existing structures (including the May Owen Center building) need to be cleared away?

http://www.star-tele...adlines-default

I'm more concerned with the $715,000.00 they feel they need to spend to relocate 80 people. Cable drops, cube walls, desks, chairs and you're done, they currently have IT staff and a lot of students that could use some On The Job Training.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#7 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Thanks, DL. I appreciate your concerns as expressed in the public/institutional thread. Here I'm just asking if anyone knows if the May Owen Center building is going to be torn down to make way for the mixed-used project on Lancaster Avenue (which may be why TCC is moving out)?

#8 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

Thanks, DL. I appreciate your concerns as expressed in the public/institutional thread. Here I'm just asking if anyone knows if the May Owen Center building is going to be torn down to make way for the mixed-used project on Lancaster Avenue (which may be why TCC is moving out)?

John might know or may not be able to say, I'd suspect if it was public knowledge it would have been made public by now.

#9 pmd1

pmd1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Architecture and Design

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

I would love to see a suburban style Walmart Super Center there. Council would be all over this. Walmart can be the economic stimulus that this area needs.

#10 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

I would love to see a suburban style Walmart Super Center there. Council would be all over this. Walmart can be the economic stimulus that this area needs.

No one appreciates sarcasm more than I do, but this is just too much.

TOO MUCH!!!

:rolleyes:

#11 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Don't they file a print of the proposed layout? I know they have something for the zoning changes but not sure how that impacts existing structures.

#12 pmd1

pmd1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Architecture and Design

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

TOO MUCH!!!

actually, I do agree my comment was too much.
I want the best for Lancaster Avenue. I think this is an emerging gem for the city. You can cite few cities that have the uniquely wide street and buildings that face the street. It's skewed angle and the way it bisects downtown, the Masonic Lodge, crosses the river an terminates at the Cultural District are rich.

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

As far as I know, the three buildings do not include the May Owen Building. They sit on the three blocks west of Throckmorton Street.

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

.....I want the best for Lancaster Avenue. I think this is an emerging gem for the city. You can cite few cities that have the uniquely wide street and buildings that face the street. It's skewed angle and the way it bisects downtown, the Masonic Lodge, crosses the river an terminates at the Cultural District are rich.

Sometime in the past, I blogged that Lancaster Avenue through the CBD and into the Cultural District should reflect its importance to the image of the city. Lancaster Avenue west of I-35 to Montgomery Street begins at the Water Gardens (park); passes Trinity Park and ends at the Cultural District's public green spaces. To my knowledge, there is not a Fort Worth corridor with the name of "Park Avenue"; and branding that section of the corridor would recognize the corridor actual grandeur which has long been understated.

Keep Fort Worth folksy

#15 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

So, does anyone know the progress, if any, of the mixed-use project along Lancaster in the vicinity of Throckmorton?

#16 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

I look directly out my window at Lancaster and Throckmorton, and all I see is a big ugly parking lot next to a big ugly parking garage, with a big ugly billboard thrown in for good measure. However, if I look just to the right, at least I can enjoy the sunsets reflected in the Omni! No sign of any work going on in this area that I can see...
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#17 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

I look directly out my window at Lancaster and Throckmorton, and all I see is a big ugly parking lot next to a big ugly parking garage, with a big ugly billboard thrown in for good measure. However, if I look just to the right, at least I can enjoy the sunsets reflected in the Omni! No sign of any work going on in this area that I can see...

Maybe we've been spoiled by frenetic developments lately such as West 7th, Sundance Square plaza, etc.  Get it done and get it done fast.  So maybe the seeming non-existence of this particular project is par for the course for Fort Worth.  But I did think it was back on track when the city decided to go ahead with a parking garage after the Catholic Church backed out of being an investment partner in this deal.  

#18 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Maybe we've been spoiled by frenetic developments lately such as West 7th, Sundance Square plaza, etc.  Get it done and get it done fast.  So maybe the seeming non-existence of this particular project is par for the course for Fort Worth.  But I did think it was back on track when the city decided to go ahead with a parking garage after the Catholic Church backed out of being an investment partner in this deal.  

... is it not? 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#19 Corsicana33

Corsicana33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Cars, Six Flags, Architecture, Cooking, Roadtrips and Having Fun

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

No the Catholic Church backed out of the deal because they saw it as wasting money to relocate their offices, instead they plan on using that money to help out some of the poorer Catholic Churches in the area.

#20 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

Is this an official slogan?

Fort Worth Forum: If The Dirt Doesn't Turn The Day After One Word Is Leaked, The Project Is Dead

#21 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Ha!  :laugh:

Actually, if this forum has taught me anything, it's that every project of any significance takes a long time to go from concept to conclusion.

My blog: Doohickie

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Lancaster Corridor, New Development, Mixed-Use

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users