#51 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(Dcurtis @ Dec 3 2007, 07:26 AM) View Post

And what's so funny to me is that you as a gay man are so bitter that you seem to look forward to the demise of neighborhood that you patronized when you were younger.

Bitter?

- that after being away from Texas for 17 years, I return to find I-35 still under construction at Hillsboro... Yes.

- that Kincaids went chain... For sure.

- that I can't find a decent dress shirt that will survive more than 3 trips to the dry cleaners... Uh, huh.

- that my own bank now charges me $1.25 per ATM transaction to help cover for their subprime mortgage losses. Heck yeah!

- that Marie Osmond was eliminated from "Dancing with the Stars..." Maybe.

- that I'm getting older... Nope, not at all. For me, life only gets better. (Perhaps not for Marie...)

Am I heartened that society has progressed to a point that gay men and women no longer feel the need to be segregated... Absolutely!

To me, the evolution of Oak Lawn and other gay nabes around the country (I've lived in a few), and that even Fort Worth is becoming a more open place, is a positive thing and a sign of some hard won progress. That's all I'm sayin'...

(And to those who may be offended that I did not incorporate multiple "smilies" to emphasize my points and therefore may feel compelled to attack me personally, I offer my sincere regrets....)

#52 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:38 PM

^^^
Hey don't make fun of my smiles..they only punctuated tiimes when I really did laugh. This thread has been really enjoyable and interesting. I may not agree with you, as FW doesn't feel very "open" to me, but you make good points and observations. Sorry, if you feel I attacked you personally, my humor can be little on the sarcastic side.

The point I was attempting to make is that the gayhorhood in Dallas anyway is evolving also, I don't think it is disappearing. It simply won't be the one you, or I for that matter, remember.

#53 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(Dcurtis @ Nov 6 2007, 09:31 AM) View Post

Like lots of other folks, many gays are also being priced out of that neighborhood. That whole area is under construction and older apt complexes and buildings are being demolished and redeveloped everywhere. What's planned for the old Tom Thumb site is way cool. My wife and I even looked at a place in that area, but decided on DTD.

I'll say it till I'm blue in the face...gays are good for urban development and FW should recognize.

Good points CurtisD, but I don't necessarily agree about gays being priced out of Oaklawn. If you look at the condo prices in the area, there are some expensive developments, but many of them, not just rehabs, but also new construction, are priced much lower than the rest of Dallas' overpriced condo market. There are several of the new condo developments on and around Cedarsprings that start at or below (some considerably) 150K. My gf's place, 2/2, really nice new construction was around 165K!! Her good friend and his partner purchased a really large, two story, really nice townhome in a redeveloped community for 168K. Which brings me to my other point. I don't necessarily think gays are all picking up and leaving the hood. According to someone on the board of my gf's building, he estimates that 70% of the residents are gay. That area was majority rental for a a long time and there's few single-family homes. I think a lot of those renters are becoming homeowners.

BTW, have you seen what's going on west of the gay strip? Ten years from now, you won't recognize that area, especially where the light rail is coming through. I think there will be more home ownership in the area, a few more straight folks, and probably more chains as well as corporate owned shopping and restaurants . But it's still going to be as as gay as the day is long.

#54 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(wolfey @ Nov 16 2007, 10:12 PM) View Post

why do gay people always want justification. When is there going to be a LOCAL story about gays. I mean WTF. What good would that do....really.

My take is gay people want to be recognized as a legitimate, contributing part of the community. No different than any other minority wanting to demonstrate their inclusion. How it's done might be open to question but I think the motivation is pretty simple.

And then, as appears to be wired into us all, there is a comfort in retreating into our own group. Whether in a neighborhood or a bar or a church. So while there are a lot of gay people in churches scattered around here I also know a couple who moved to Dallas to be more active in the Cathedral of Hope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users