• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:44 PM

I guess spring fever has me in it's grasp, but I was just wondering of anyone would be interested in having a "Forum Picnic"? I'm thinking one Saturday or Sunday here before it gets too hot, we could all get together at the Trinity Park Shelter, bring a couple of cookers, make burgers and dogs, and just hang and visit for an afternoon. I checked and we can reserve the shelter for 5 hours at $35 (plus $10 per each additional hour) or $70 for the whole day. It has both electricity and restrooms that they will open for $25 each amenity.

The reason I thought of that place is, it's a nice place, close to the duck pond and not far from play areas for those who want to bring kids; we're right across from Mont Wards if anyone wants to venture over there, a relatively central location for most of us, etc., etc.

We'd all need to pony up for the shelter rental fee, and could either donate and have one person be in charge of food, or make it pot luck.

Any thoughts? comments? suggestions?

#2 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:08 PM

Sounds neat! I'd always be up for something like that.

--

Kara B.

#3 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

Sounds good to me.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#4 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:43 PM

Some nice Sunday afternoon after church would be great.

#5 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:11 PM

I'd like that. Can you bring your own grill? Right around Mayfest would be wonderful.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#6 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:15 AM

I'm pretty sure you can bring your own grill; I don't think there are any "built-ins" around the Shelter, but I can double check. My plan was to bring mine (just your normal home gas grill). If we get enough feedback to make it worth the Shelter fee, we can start doing some serious planning.

Well, MayFest weekend would be totally out! What a crowd!! They usually close of the part of the park where MayFest is the weekend before for prep, etc., but I don't know that it entails the Shelter. Or there's the weekend after.

thoughts?

#7 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:49 PM

I can try hitching my father's smoke pit and trek it on over here. Fits about 9 brisket and some sausage links. Only problem is that it has this GI-NORMOUS longhorn (father's school) welded on the back of the pit, so Giggers beware.

Plenty of S.Texas mesquite to haul. CAN'T WAIT!

Are you allowed overnight stay? Wouldn't mind camping near the TRINITY and watching over the pit with some beers and buddies for the night. Friend could bring his homebrew. Any guitarists on board?
www.iheartfw.com

#8 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:22 AM

WOW! Sounds great, much better than my 10 burgers at a time grill! A lot more fun, too!! cheeburga.gif

I'm betting the City frowns on people camping at the park, unless you got some OK because you had equipment there. We can always check that out. I know you can fish there out of the river.

I think this could be lots of fun; we need to get people fired up about it!! You're really good at that, Safly!!

I know one person who plays guitar and I'm thinking there are others; we could finally debut LoneStar Mike's FW songs (see New Slogan thread).

Who else is interested?! A good chance for a FW Forum Family Picnic; bring the kids, bring some games, eat some food, drink some beer! What more could you want!! Maybe we can some up with some contests or something; the bikers and ride through the Park... cool.gif

#9 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:55 AM

A Contest, eh?

Well then we would need a wooden 20x20 pen, a piglet, and some grease.

Whata ya say FORUMERS? (Need a one tooth icon smiley) smilewink.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#10 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:08 AM

mellow.gif Not EXACTLY what I had in mind, but........

Couldn't you just see you, Atomic, David, Julie and me after that poor little piglet....... laugh.gif rotflmao.gif

#11 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:08 AM

Ha...I'll call the race instead!

#12 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:08 AM

OK, in all seriousness happy.gif now, are there enough people (besides us 5) interested in a picnic to "go forward" with this?? I'd love it. Saturday or Sunday is fine with me. We'll need to avoid MayFest weekend and Memorial Day weekend I'm sure, so that kind of limits May. We've got the rest of April, or into June. The only weekend I have something planned in June is the 16th.

Can we have a show of hands or some such? Again, we'll have to pony up for rental fee on the shelter and share the cost of food one way or the other. Anyone??

#13 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(seurto @ Apr 3 2007, 07:08 AM) View Post

OK, in all seriousness happy.gif now, are there enough people (besides us 5) interested in a picnic to "go forward" with this?? I'd love it. Saturday or Sunday is fine with me. We'll need to avoid MayFest weekend and Memorial Day weekend I'm sure, so that kind of limits May. We've got the rest of April, or into June. The only weekend I have something planned in June is the 16th.

Can we have a show of hands or some such? Again, we'll have to pony up for rental fee on the shelter and share the cost of food one way or the other. Anyone??

I would come from Austin for the picnic. Any weekend in April except the 21st, Any weekend in May, any weekend in June except the first or 2nd weekends.

GenE

#14 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

What about Keller Pirate?? Is he ignoring us now...lolol

#15 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

'K, that's 6 (plus families) - who else?? Keller Pirate, Prairie Pup, John, Wren, AndyN??? Anyone else!!??

#16 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:16 AM

count on ghughes and mrs ghughes except for April 21-22 and first two weekends in June. (looks like GenE and I share a schedule)

#17 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:02 AM

I'm easy. Just let me know when and where and how much or what to bring.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#18 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:49 AM

I'd be in (plus one) if it happens on a Sunday; now that my shop is in it's busy season, Saturdays are mostly out.
The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#19 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:43 PM

Mr and Mrs KP will also be there. We have a wine trip planned in May but just for a week.

#20 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:56 PM

Out for Cinco de Mayo weekend as of now. May have a booth. Any other weekend in May is fine, so is late Avril.
www.iheartfw.com

#21 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:53 AM

I'm in except that I have a Downtown Walking Tour scheduled for Tarrant County College on April 28th with a rain day set aside for May 5th. Also, for us cyclists, we could do a Fort Worth Forum Bike Ride in conjunction with the picnic.

#22 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:58 PM

Speaking of, did anyone here join the Hill Country bicycle Tour in Kerrville? I soo wanted to go.

Happy Easta!
www.iheartfw.com

#23 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

I have ridden the Easter Hill Country Tour many times. I did not go this year because I had to work to get a project out this weekend. Next year, come on down, because the Fort Worth Bicycling Association hosts the event.

#24 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

Well, I hope everyone had a wonderful Holiday, whichever type it was, even in the snow, of all things wink.gif

Here is where I think we're at (I hope there aren't any English teachers reading today):

It looks like the rest of April and first weekend of May are out. That leaves the rest of May 12-13, 19-20 or 26-27; then June is out until 23-24, 30-July1. May 26, 27, 28 is the 3 day Memorial Day weekend. We've had two preferences for a Sunday.

I guess what we need to do is vote on which Sunday would be best for everyone - 5/13, 5/20, 5/27, 6/24 or 7/1. We can, of course, go on into July if need be, but it's gonna be warmish that time of year. If the majority need a Saturday, we can figure that out if we need to.

I believe I need to get in touch with the City about 2 weeks ahead to reserve the Shelter. I'm all for definitely putting in the extra $25 for the bathroom - any thoughts on whether we need electricity or not? I'm also guessing that if we are doing Sunday after church, we would only need it for the 5 hour rate ($35) with $10 each additional hour if needed, rather than the whole day ($70). Again, I'm open to comments on that. We could go, say, 3:00 to 8:00 with eating around 6:30-7 ish??? I don't honestly think there will be someone there with a timer waiting for us to start at 3 and leave at 8, but it would give us something to aim at and start tearing down/cleaning up.

The next part to figure out is $$ (always) and menu. Burgers and dogs?? Safly's brisket idea?? Everyone bring sides or put in $$ for us to deal with all the food?? Also, I guess a rough headcount.

So, do we want to vote this way or should I start a poll? I think the bike ride is a cool idea and all the photographers could come out as well!

#25 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

5/13 is my vote. I get concerned about someone else setting prices for us. I remember a rather expensive evening for the BMOC one time. I'd prefer to bring a side and pitch in some $ to help with the main dish and facility rental.

#26 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

I totally understand that!! Sounds like probably the best way to go.

So 1 vote for 5/13 - others?

#27 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:11 AM

Hmmm, I guess another thing to factor in on determining date is availability of Safly's Longhorn Grill!!
cheeburga.gif

Safly - any thoughts/input!?

#28 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE(seurto @ Apr 9 2007, 04:14 PM) View Post

I totally understand that!! Sounds like probably the best way to go.

So 1 vote for 5/13 - others?

I'm up for 5/13, but isn't that Mothers Day? (I'm a mother, you'd think I'd know).

I'd really like to get the date set if we can. I will be coming from out of town and will plan to stay overnight, so will need to request the following Monday off.

Thanks,
GenE

#29 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

Hmmm, that is Mother's Day. Is that a problem? We've got either 5/6 or 5/20.

#30 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE(seurto @ Apr 11 2007, 08:11 AM) View Post

Hmmm, I guess another thing to factor in on determining date is availability of Safly's Longhorn Grill!!
cheeburga.gif

Safly - any thoughts/input!?

Do you REALLY want to know of my thoughts right now? J/K.

Does anyone here have a Farmer's Almanac on hand to help with our situation?

I say 5/13 or 20th. Smoker shouldn't be a problem either.

Brisket will take about 9 hours minimum (can do the day before and SAFELY transport them), sausage an hour 1/2 to 2 smoked, ribs about 3 and 1/2 hrs. smoked, then potatoes, beans about 5 hours, and roasted corn? Sandwiches and/or plates?

What does everyone want, and any food allergies?

BBQ Budget for 10 to 15 folks is about $75-80. Anything significant FW-wise to celebrate for 5/13 or 20th?
www.iheartfw.com

#31 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:01 AM

'K - I'm gonna make an executive decision here -

We'll do the First Annual (?) FW Forum Family Picnic Sunday 5/20 at Trinity Park Shelter (assuming I can get a reservation). I'll wait to call the City until Thursday to reserve the Shelter giving some time for feedback from everyone. Now that the Forum officially has 1,000 members, we have potential for a good size crowd.

Safly - check the trailer hitch on that cooker.
Someone want to be the "entertainment committee?"
John - it would be great if your bike team participates.

Thoughts, comments??

#32 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

Suerto, my "bike team" will be forum members who ride bicycles. We will have to set up a time where we can gather to tour some of the city's construction projects, if that's what the group wants to do. I know that Bernd, Prairie Pup, safly, Nitixope, Jim Wilson, and Kyle Carr, besides myself are cyclists. I'm sure there are others. We will probably have to start a separate list of bicycle riders who are planning to ride in addition to attending the picnic.

#33 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

I'd certainly be up for a "Tour d' Fwarchitecture."
The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#34 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

For two years, I organized and planned the AIA's Tour de Architecture to promote interest in cycling and architecture in the city. It didn't happen in its third year because all of my help were too busy at work to devote time to the event. It was a lot of fun while it lasted.

#35 Kyle Carr

Kyle Carr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:44 PM

John, Bernie and others,

I'd certainly be interested. Not sure if there are any conflicts with
the date, but sounds fun and would look forward to meeting other
forum cyclists. Will stay tuned for more info.
Kyle Carr
LMRA Bicycle Club
www.lmrabicycleclub.com

#36 Julie

Julie

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:42 PM

May 20th sounds great to me.

John can you send me my password for the JulieM account. You reset it before giving it to me. i've requested it several times to no avail.

#37 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:42 AM

Welcome to the forum, Julie. tongue.gif

#38 Julie

Julie

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

I feel like such a newbie, but I'm an oldie.

#39 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:31 PM

Here's the deal about the FW Forum picnic -

I went today to reserve the Trinity Park Shelter for 5/20, HOWEVER, it was already booked. The only choices were Sunday 5/13 (Mother's Day) or June 30. I went ahead and opted for 5/13.

So, as it stands right now we have the Trinity Park Shelter (off 7th) reserved from 2:00 to 7:00 on Sunday May 13. We don't have to be gone by 7:00 technically. The bathrooms will be open, but I did not opt for the electricity. That can be added on if we decide we need it. The total cost so far is $60.

What I need to know is:
Is May 13 2-7 OK with everyone?

If it is, cool; if not, do we want to try and schedule the Shelter 6/30 or into July, or do we want to try a different park somewhere else on a different day? I would have to check availabilities.

Do we need electricity?

If I need to change or cancel the reservation, I need to do it within the next 10 days.

I would really be interested in opinions and/or thoughts.

#40 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:46 PM

Works for me.

#41 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:12 PM

That's fine.

When is Mayfest?
www.iheartfw.com

#42 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Apr 20 2007, 09:12 PM) View Post

That's fine.

When is Mayfest?

May 3-6

#43 Julie

Julie

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

One less day I have to slave over a hot stove...lololol

The 13th is fine with me.

#44 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:36 AM

Ok it is time to try and firm up plans for our
laugh.gif First Annual FW Forum Family Picnic laugh.gif
Sunday, May 13 - 2:00 to 7:00
Trinity Park Shelter

off 7th Street

It looks like about 12 people (without spouses, family, friends) are pretty much set. Obviously spouses, family and friends are absolutely welcome, but we kinda need a general number. Bring Mom!!

I hope MORE Forumers will join us - I mean, we have over 1,000 members now. It's lots of fun to put faces with names. John will have his "bike team" for those who prefer to ride in.

SAfly has the expertise (as well as grill) to be in charge of the meat aspect and so needs a general idea of number.

If each Forumer will bring a side dish, desert, whatever that would be great. I'll be happy to deal with sodas, water and tea; anyone who wants to bring beer, we'll have an ice bucket waiting.

Again depending on final numbers, we'll be able to divy up costs and take contributions towards expenses.

So, that's the plan so far. As I am wont to do, I'll wort everyone a couple of more times before all is said and done smilewinkgrin.gif

#45 Julie

Julie

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

We will be there...Julie plus three.

Let me handle the paper goods since we will be at church that morning.

#46 Julie

Julie

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

Make that Julie plus 2. E will be in Houston on business all that week...including Mother's Day.

#47 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE(Julie @ May 1 2007, 03:53 PM) View Post

We will be there...Julie plus three.

Let me handle the paper goods since we will be at church that morning.

That will be great - Thanks Julie!

#48 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

We also need to set up the bike tour. Bernie at Panther City Bicycles has offered the parking lot and to start the ride there if we wish.

#49 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

I'm not sure I will be able to make it to the picnic, but I might be interested in the "Tour de FwArchitecture" if this firms up.

I have participated in this AIA tour in the past and it is fabulous!

Please keep me posted!

Thanks!
Mary Bess

#50 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

I would like to see a dollar estimate at some point too. I'd rather help out with bringing stuff than get stuck with a high price tag. Please keep us posted. I can bring a pretty good brisket with my secret dry rub and beer mop if that'll help Safly with the cooking.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users