• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

The Star-Telegram had an article today about the Union Gospel Mission lease for homeless shelter expiring next year and not going to be renewed. My concerns are not about sheltering the homeless, of which I wholeheartedly approve. I just hate driving east on Lancaster and seeing these unfortunate people sitting on the curbside. I also wish for gentrification of this generally blighted part of the city so close to downtown. I know, the homeless have to be sheltered somewhere. And, if they move elsewhere that area may depreciate in value. And I suppose a city has to have some blight at any given time or place (after all, what’s new eventually gets old and dilapidated). But I still wish for gentrification east of downtown.

#2 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

That area of Lancaster has always been bad as long as I can remember (I'm young'un though), and I agree I'd love to see made better. Not sure what we can do to not just give the homeless a place to live, but also give them food and jobs.

#3 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

The Star-Telegram had an article today about the Union Gospel Mission lease for homeless shelter expiring next year and not going to be renewed.

Um, not quite. Go back and read the article. The landlord is Union Gospel Mission, the lessee that may have to relocate is the Day Resource Center. The Day Center provides services during the day, the other shelters only overnight.

#4 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

The Star-Telegram had an article today about the Union Gospel Mission lease for homeless shelter expiring next year and not going to be renewed.

Um, not quite. Go back and read the article. The landlord is Union Gospel Mission, the lessee that may have to relocate is the Day Resource Center. The Day Center provides services during the day, the other shelters only overnight.

So it seems there will still be a homeless shelter in that area? Thanks for pointing that out.

#5 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

There are several shelters in that area; UGM is only one. Presbyterian Night Shelter is on Cypress, a couple blocks off Lancaster, plus there is Safe Haven and several resource centers. It's a very small parcel, really, bounded by train tracks on the south, I-30 to the north, I-35 to the west and US-287 on the east. I can think of several east side locations that could potentially be gentrified, but this isn't one of them.
My blog: Doohickie

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

An attempt by the Presbyterian Night Shelter to move the shelter for women and children to a vacant, former nursing home at 400 South Beach has been dropped after a backlash from members of neighborhood associations in the area.

http://www.star-tele...adlines-default

The article and some of accompanying comments raise issues that need to addressed in deciding where homeless facilities should be located.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users