103 replies to this topic

#1 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

Union Pacific Railroad's historic steam locomotive, No. 844, will travel more than 3,500 miles from its base in Wyoming on a 28-day, eight-state tour to South Texas, to celebrate the railroad's history and heritage.

The "Valley Eagle Heritage Tour" will begin April 2 when No. 844 leaves Cheyenne, Wyo., and travels to North Platte, Neb. The locomotive will make overnight stops and be on display in the following cities before arriving back in Cheyenne April 29:

North Platte, Neb.;
Marysville, Parsons and Coffeyville, Kan.;
Kansas City, Mo.;
McAlester, Okla.;
Ft. Worth, Hearne, Houston, Bloomington, Raymondville, Harlingen, Palestine and Longview, Texas; and
North Little Rock and Van Buren, Ark.

"This will be the first time No. 844 has operated south of Houston and we look forward to bringing a piece of living history to this part of our rail network," said Joe Adams, vice president of public affairs for Union Pacific's Southern Region. "Our steam locomotives play a special role in our collection of historical railroad equipment, which is the largest of any U. S. railroad."

The tour was named after a Missouri Pacific Railroad passenger train that operated between Houston and Brownsville. The Valley Eagle began running in late-1948 until the train was discontinued in June 1962. Missouri Pacific merged with Union Pacific in 1982.

No. 844, also known as Union Pacific's "Living Legend," returned to service in 2005 after one of the most extensive steam locomotive overhauls in the United States since regular steam service ended. The work, which started in 2000, included overhauling the locomotive's running gear, pumps, piping, valves and springs, along with replacement of its firebox and extensive boiler work. The cab interior also was refurbished. No. 844 was the last steam locomotive built for Union Pacific Railroad and was delivered in 1944. A passenger locomotive, it pulled such widely known trains as the Overland Limited, Los Angeles Limited, Portland Rose and Challenger.

Friday, April 9

Depart 8:00 a.m. McAlester, Okla. Union Pacific Office 1 East Krebs St.

Arrive 10:30 a.m. Denison, Texas Service Locomotive West end of UP Rail Yard Under Hwy. 75 Overpass and Ray Dr.
Depart 11:30 a.m.

Arrive 1:00 p.m. Denton, Texas Whistlestop
Depart 1:30 p.m.

Arrive 4:00 p.m. Ft. Worth, Texas Mopac Rd. and Rogers Rd. (Overnight at Union Pacific yard just west of University and South of Vickery)

Saturday, April 10

Depart 8:00 a.m. Ft. Worth, Texas Mopac Rd. and Rogers Rd.

Arrive 10:00 a.m. Ennis, Texas Whistlestop
Depart 10:15 a.m.

Arrive 11:00 a.m. Corsicana, Texas Service Locomotive 201 East 7th St.
Depart 11:30 a.m.

Arrive 1:30 p.m. Hearne, Texas 3rd and Market Sts. (Overnight)

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#2 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:51 AM

Wow, cool.

I bet I can get in there with my bike and take a few pics. I know exactly where that is- behind University Park Village shopping center.
My blog: Doohickie

#3 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

For what it's worth, I know it is coming in on the line known as the Choctaw Subdivision which runs between Fort Worth and McAlester, Oklahoma. It's the old T&P route that goes through Keller parallel to Hwy 377. I am sure there are some good spots along that route to catch views/photos. I think it crosses under I-35W just south of 28th Street.

#4 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

So, when they say it is going to be in the area near Mopac and Rogers, does that mean it will be there for an extended period of time or will they eventually move it further back into the yard for the night? I work close enough to there that I should be able to get some pics on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning?

#6 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

I think I've located the Choctaw Subdivision on Google maps, but does anyone know where the train will be passing through the downtown area? I presume it will be on one of the lines that pass under Belknap just east of downtown? Will it be next to N Live Oak St or N Wilderman? Then east of the ITC and on to the yard?

This should be quite a sight! TIA for any more detailed route info.

#7 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

If you trace the path of the tracks that pass right next to Mercado Juarez on Northside Drive on the way into downtown, that should be the Choctaw.

They put a GPS receiver on one of the support cars so you can track the location of the engine. It is currently overnighting in McAlester OK. Here is a link to the GPS Map

It's a triple threat weekend with Arts Festival, UP 844 and Texas Stadium being imploded. I have a full schedule!

#8 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (AndyN @ Apr 8 2010, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a link to the GPS Map

That link is great -- thanks!

#9 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

That's neat; they're just north of Sherman now.

Well, my calendar filled up and it appears I won't be able to see the train before it leaves.

Shoot.
My blog: Doohickie

#10 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

Looks like they are running behind schedule right now. They were supposed to be in Denison at 1030 and they haven't arrived yet.

#11 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:26 AM

Cool, Might try to catch it.

At first I thought you were talking about the "Big Boy" http://www.city-data...c/picc36161.php that's been sitting in Holiday Park in Cheyenne for as long as I can remember.

There's some more info on the Heritage Tour Here: http://www.uprr.com/...gle_video.shtml

Erik France

#12 TexasPacific52

TexasPacific52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Railroad fan, Boyscouts, Photography and some backyard birdwatching

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

running behind schedule...now passing Collinsville north of Denton

#13 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

Very disappointing -- found a great viewing place at E Northside and Cold Springs, a bridge over the Trinity, there was a small crowd there with cameras ready to shoot, but they rerouted the train onto the tracks that ran parallel to Samuels. We watched the locomotive huff and puff away in the distance...

#14 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (UncaMikey @ Apr 9 2010, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very disappointing -- found a great viewing place at E Northside and Cold Springs, a bridge over the Trinity, there was a small crowd there with cameras ready to shoot, but they rerouted the train onto the tracks that ran parallel to Samuels. We watched the locomotive huff and puff away in the distance...

I know the feeling. We were down Cold Springs about half a mile south from you. After a long wait, we heard the steam whistle -- trouble was the engine was behind us to the west about a hundred yards and blocked from view. sad.gif

Bruce Burton

#15 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

I saw it pass through Keller at 60 MPH, that lasted about as long as it will take for Cowboys Stadium to come down Sunday morning. Still was fun to hang with the crowd. There was a guy from Garland that took a photo or two.

#16 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:45 AM

We got up early and caught it along Bisbee, parallel to Mansfield Highway. My wife's video turned out better than my still shots, watch it if you get the chance.

Video of UP 844 steaming along Bisbee

#17 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (UncaMikey @ Apr 10 2010, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We got up early and caught it along Bisbee, parallel to Mansfield Highway. My wife's video turned out better than my still shots, watch it if you get the chance.

Good work! Your wife might have a future in the train video business.

Did you see the video of the train creating the big bow wave down in Buenos Aires?

#18 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (Keller Pirate @ Apr 10 2010, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good work! Your wife might have a future in the train video business.

I'll tell her that, thanks!

Did you see the video of the train creating the big bow wave down in Buenos Aires?

I have no idea what you're referring to, but I am dying to find out. Link, info?

#19 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

Great video. I'm glad you redeemed the time for many of us. Thanks for the link. smile.gif

QUOTE (UncaMikey @ Apr 10 2010, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bruce Burton

#20 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:33 AM

This is a train moving through the floods in Argentina about a month ago. It originally was off you tube but I just took this link off the first website that popped up on the search.

http://videosift.com.../Train-VS-Flood

I hope Andy doesn't get upset for hijacking the thread.

#21 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

Didn't get to see Big 844, but I sure did hear it's distinctive whistle here on Samuels Avenue. It made me reminisce about what it must have sounded like on this historic street back in the old days of steam. (as well as the clip-clop of horse drawn buggies) What ever happened to the old Tarantula train from the Stockyards? I understand it was in an accident and got banged up pretty badly. Fort Worth needs a resident vintage steam engine because the railroad is as intregal to the history of our City as were the cattle drives of legend. Wish I had paid closer attention to the FW forum so I could have witnessed this once in a lifetime visit.

#22 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (Keller Pirate @ Apr 11 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a train moving through the floods in Argentina about a month ago. It originally was off you tube but I just took this link off the first website that popped up on the search.

http://videosift.com.../Train-VS-Flood

I hope Andy doesn't get upset for hijacking the thread.

Wow, that was great, thanks for posting. Buenos Aires is almost our second home, we go down there for a month every year to escape the Texas heat, but I had not heard about this.

I am sure Andy will understand, otherwise we'd have to start a new thread about summer flooding in Buenos Aires. biggrin.gif

#23 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:04 AM

Come on now, I only come down on people who abuse going off topic.

I had a great time this weekend with lots of pictures to post when I get back up later today.

#24 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

Finally got around to uploading some pics. I showed up at Mopac and Rogers about 10 minutes late to find a pretty big crowd. I was surprised by how far they were letting people wander back into the yard. Enjoy.

Backing into the yard:

From the parking area in the yard:

This gives you an idea of the size of the drive wheels:

One of the two huge steam driven air pumps:

A terrible shot, but I was amazed at the scale. I worked on the steam locomotives at Six Flags many moons ago, so it was pretty cool to see something this big up close:

A last parting shot:

#25 lens314

lens314

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, Cars, Computers, LEGO

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for the pics! I missed this event :/
-Doug

#26 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Photos taken Wednesday behind the T&P station. There is a large steam engine at the front but I couldn't get a decent shot without walking on the right of way and there were too many workers around. Anyone know what this is doing in Fort Worth?

#27 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

She is on a return trip from a tour of the West Coast - when I heard the whistle last night, I figured either she was back or a cruise ship had floated into downtown! I grabbed the camera and headed for the parking garage where I took a couple shots (as well as some video of the whistle blast!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one is from May when she passed through going the other way

Posted Image

She's pulling out tomorrow (Thursday) morning, although I haven't been able to find out an exact time. In May, I think it was around 7am, so I hope to be up in time to catch a few shots and some more video this time!
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#28 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

A little more info - it is scheduled to leave T&P at 8:00 am Thursday. Found a little write-up on her:

"Steam Locomotive No. 844 is the last steam locomotive built for Union Pacific Railroad. It was delivered in 1944. A high-speed passenger engine, it pulled such widely known trains as the Overland Limited, Los Angeles Limited, Portland Rose and Challenger. Many people know the engine as the No. 8444, since an extra '4' was added to its number in 1962 to distinguish it from a diesel numbered in the 800 series. The steam engine regained its rightful number in June 1989, after the diesel was retired. When diesels took over all of the passenger train duties, No. 844 was placed in freight service in Nebraska between 1957 and 1959. It was saved from being scrapped in 1960 and held for special service."
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

#29 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the info. Today, the only good spot to take a photo of the engine was in the T&P condo upper parking garage, which is gated. I'm glad you got the shots.

#30 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Not gated if you have the magic fob :) I took some more this evening (trying for a nice sunset over the engine, but cloudless skies do not help much with pretty sunsets!) I plan to head up there at 7:30 in the morning, hoping it doesn't leave early, nor too late. I'm thinking still shots until it gets ready to go, then video as it passes - I've already scouted out my corner to set up the tripod.

I can swing around the front of the building first in the morning if anyone sees this tonight and wants access to the top level of the garage. Just be out front somewhere and flag me down - I'll be in a white Camaro with orange stripes, or drive up the ramp on the east end of the buildings and I can meet there...

#31 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

Well, that was a bust! I waited 45 minutes, had a great spot picked out where I could get video as it left the station, then swing around and get it riding off into the sunrise, but it BACKED OUT! Why?? Huh?? Stupid train! :roflol: Oh well, I'll get some video put together of a great old steam train backing out of the station, and post it here next week sometime...

#32 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

In the interim, here are a couple stills I took

From yesterday evening:

Posted Image

From this morning:

Posted Image

And as she slowly backed away from me and my camera!

Posted Image

#33 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Man I'm extremely bummed I missed this. Is it coming back anytime soon?

#34 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

I could have my dates wrong, but it seems like it has been here about 3 times in the last year. They really seem like they are putting some serious miles on it.

I wanted to stop by the T&P this morning but had too much to do at work. I was pleasantly surprised by her whistle when she back up to Davidson Yard and sat directly across the highway from my office for a while. Then, they gave a few toots of the whistle and headed back east towards the T&P.

I would love to see their 3985 Locomotive come down, which is the world's largest operating steam engine with an articulated frame but one of the websites says it is out of service until 2016.

#35 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Well, that was a bust! I waited 45 minutes, had a great spot picked out where I could get video as it left the station, then swing around and get it riding off into the sunrise, but it BACKED OUT! Why?? Huh?? Stupid train! :roflol: Oh well, I'll get some video put together of a great old steam train backing out of the station, and post it here next week sometime...

Just play your video backwards.

#36 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

Now THAT is a great idea! :lol:

As it turns out, I talked to a guy who works for the railroad, and he said they had to back out a ways so they could switch to another track in order to catch the track headed south, so if I had blown off work completely and just stayed where I was, the train would have eventually come back through and I could have had my video!

#37 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

It was in Houston over the weekend as part of the year-long celebration of the 150th anniversary of the Union Pacific Railroad. But, it lives in Cheyenne, Wyoming so.... UP Steam Locomotive No. 844 is on it's way back. If you missed it last time, here's the schedule (and yes, it will be overnighting here again):

Thursday, November 1
Depart 8:00 a.m. CT Hearne, Texas
W. 4th Street and S. Market Street
Arrival
Depart 10:45 a.m. CT
11:15 a.m. CT Waco, Texas
Katy Lane Crossing
Arrival
Depart 12:30 p.m. CT
1:01 p.m. CT Grandview, Texas
Service Locomotive
Main Street Crossing
Arrival
3:01 p.m. CT
Fort Worth, Texas
Old T&P Depot
Crossing at Jennings Avenue
251 W. Lancaster at Jennings Ave.
Friday, November 2
Depart 8:00 a.m. CT Fort Worth, Texas
Arrival
Depart 11:01 a.m. CT
11:30 a.m. CT Bowie, Texas
Lindsay Street Crossing
Arrival
Depart 12:45 p.m. CT
1:30 p.m. CT Wichita Falls, Texas
10th Street and La Salle Street
Arrival
Depart 2:45 p.m. CT
3:15 p.m. CT Vernon, Texas
Hwy. 283 Crossing
Arrival
4:45 p.m. CT
Childress, Texas
1201 Avenue C NW
Saturday, November 3
Depart 8:00 a.m. CT Childress, Texas
1201 Avenue C NW
Arrival
Depart 9:30 a.m. CT
10:01 a.m. CT Clarendon, Texas
S. Kearney St. Crossing at W. 1st St.
Arrival
Depart 11:45 a.m. CT
12:30 p.m. CT Amarillo, Texas
83 S. Pierce Street
Arrival
Depart 2:01 p.m. CT
2:30 p.m. CT Channing, Texas
7th St. Crossing at E. Railroad Ave.
Arrival
4:15 p.m. CT
Texline, Texas
E. Market St. Crossing at N. 1st St.
Sunday, November 4
Depart 8:00 a.m. CT Texline, Texas
E. Market St. Crossing at N. 1st St.

#38 Hometown by Handlebar

Hometown by Handlebar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:bicycling, history, architecture

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Bless you for posting this! I was still kicking myself for missing both the locomotive AND the tour of the courthouse belltower. I am halfway out the door already.

It was in Houston over the weekend as part of the year-long celebration of the 150th anniversary of the Union Pacific Railroad. But, it lives in Cheyenne, Wyoming so.... UP Steam Locomotive No. 844 is on it's way back. If you missed it last time, here's the schedule (and yes, it will be overnighting here again):

Arrival
3:01 p.m. CT
Fort Worth, Texas
Old T&P Depot
Friday, November 2
Depart 8:00 a.m. CT Fort Worth, Texas
Arrival

#39 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Will people be able to tour it? I won't make it when it comes in, but I'd love to come down there after work and take a look at it.

#40 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

GPS Map shows it pulling into Fort Worth. I don't know if it will be "open" for a tour and not sure how close you will be able to get to it. But, it is their public relations ambassador, so I'm guessing you might be able to get close enough to get a picture if you go to the TRE platform.

#41 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

The engine was parked behind the Post Office this time around, and I was able to walk right up to it. A lot more people this time - word must be getting out! I of course took more pictures - mostly of the mechanical parts - those drive wheels are HUGE! From what I saw on the schedule, she pulled out at 8 this morning headed back to the north.

#42 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

I took a lot of pictures as well. I'll post them soon!

#43 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

I go in late on Fridays. Just took this shot of this train Downtown next to Hillside on 3rd.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#44 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

So amazing.

BTW if anyone missed it, here is a good video a friend found on Youtube:

#45 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

At 1:30 - looked like a close call!! Great video - I'd love to see it out on the open track like that!

#46 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:18 PM

Even BIGGER steam headed to Fort Worth:

Union Pacific Steam Schedule

Big Boy No. 4014 will depart Cheyenne, Wyoming, Thursday, Aug. 5, traveling through Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Illinois, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas and Wyoming. We’re still working out the details of overnight and whistle stops along the way, but we can tell you the Big Boy will be on display at the following locations:

• Saturday, Aug. 14: Fort Worth, Texas
  • Tuesday, Aug. 17: Houston, Texas
  • Saturday, Aug. 21: New Orleans, Louisiana
  • Sunday, Aug. 29: St. Louis, Missouri
  • Monday, Sept. 6: Denver, Colorado

Following the Denver stop on Labor Day weekend, the Big Boy and its crew will return to Cheyenne.

#47 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 15 June 2021 - 05:08 PM

AndyN,  I wish I could be there to see that locomotive.  That's the really big one!  It had an even more extensive rebuild than 844.

Aside from the trackage rights issues, I wonder if it could ever make it up here to Massachusetts.  I'd practically kill to see that engine!

#48 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 15 June 2021 - 08:37 PM

Do you think it will be parked at the.....

Old T&P Depot

I wonder if it passes by Echo Lake Park on the way to Houston?
https://goo.gl/maps/pdeCPVE6Xe6M85Ky5

#49 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:04 PM

I have this Rock Island Steam Finale book in my collection.  Not sure if (it is OK?) anyone is interested, but I can share some photos from.  I will try to get to that later this week/end.  I have a bunch of old MKT and Rock Island handbooks and a few publications that are sort of interesting too.  I may end up converting some of it to digital ephemera.

OyzQVR2.jpg

lMzh17w.jpg

#50 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:17 PM

Do you think it will be parked at the.....

Old T&P Depot

I wonder if it passes by Echo Lake Park on the way to Houston?
https://goo.gl/maps/pdeCPVE6Xe6M85Ky5

There are two locations that I think worthy of consideration:

To be seen by 100,000 cars per day, parked in the side yard behind the T&P Warehouse -

https://www.google.c...!7i16384!8i8192

To have a chance to see it close up, parked next to Montgomery Plaza -

https://www.google.c...!7i16384!8i8192

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users