Photo
- - - - -

What's happening with the realignment of Harley, demo of the Health Dept. Bldg, New Arena?

Cultural District New Arena Public Works Harley Avenue

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

I recall reading various threads about projects around Will Rogers that included moving Harley St, demolishing the Health Dept. bldg to build a Bass-supported botanical research somethingorother (biosphere?) and building a new arena. Any new news here? just curious.

#2 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:25 PM

The arena will happen, but it's likely years away. Haven't heard much about the rest.

--

Kara B.

#3 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

Try http://www.brit.org/brit-future/ to see a little about what BRIT has in mind for their botanical research building near Will Rogers.

#4 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

Any updates? Is the new BRIT in the way?

#5 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:58 PM

Here's a FW Weekly article about the Harley realignment from a few months ago

The Harley Switch

#6 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me.

Wasn't there also a concept to have some sort of parkway from the So7 area/Currie to connect to a realigned Harley? Anyone have any old plans that show the layout?

#7 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:38 PM

That was pushed by the same "invisible hand" of the Stock Show, and was designed to take some parkland. It was shot out of the saddle when a ton of local activists loudly protested such an unnecessary roadway that would hurt Trinity Park. Way too much is made of connecting Will Rogers to Downtown. It takes virtually no time to shoot down Lancaster into Downtown if that is where they want to go.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me.

Wasn't there also a concept to have some sort of parkway from the So7 area/Currie to connect to a realigned Harley? Anyone have any old plans that show the layout?

#8 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:10 PM

Driving by this afternoon, I noticed they are builidng up along the backside of the Harley Parking lot and tearing down the building that was part of Christ Chapel Youth Center, off Montgomery and El Campo. Is this prep work for the realignment?

#9 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

I don't know, but I might be the only person that think that this Harley project is a definite must. I can't explain why but...

#10 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

City of Fort Worth Homepage has story on this

http://fortworthtexa...t.aspx?id=92586

#11 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

I see lots of dirt and fill moving around the area lately. Is it just the Harley relocation, or is something else cooking?

#12 Brian D

Brian D

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:aerial photography/videography, downtown Fort Worth, Sundance Square, Fort Worth South, redevelopment initiatives, sustainability, historic sites, old signage, abandoned buildings

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Harley relocation in anticipation of future expansion of Will Rogers Memorial Center.

Posted Image

#13 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

Ok drove by today massive amount of dirt work, plus what appears to be acres of concrete parking. Harley looks virtually done. My question who is paying for the parking?

#14 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

Is all that mess just for the Harley relo, or is there other construction going on?

#15 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Does anyone know what's extent of the project. There's a LOT of dirt moving, and new cement being poured near Montgomery. Maybe a birds-eye view of the plan??

And, how bad do you think that the city wants that heat treating plant to move?

#16 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Does anyone know what's extent of the project. There's a LOT of dirt moving, and new cement being poured near Montgomery. Maybe a birds-eye view of the plan??

And, how bad do you think that the city wants that heat treating plant to move?

Check out: http://fortworthtexas.gov/citynews/default.aspx?id=92586

The contact for the project manager is at the bottom of the page.

#17 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Massive parking (charge of course) and large wall along the side of the gardens. On note about stock show coming up in this weeks council packet there is drawing of the roads closing for the show. You can see the new alignment. http://www.fortworth...ck Show TCP.JPG

#18 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

I suppose the block with the red "4" is where the new arena would have to go.

#19 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

I suppose the block with the red "4" is where the new arena would have to go.

I thought I saw somewhere alonbg there that there were new concrete pads along with massive piles of dirt.

#20 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

I don't know, I could be late with this one but oh well "Improvements to Harley Avenue"

#21 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

I don't know, I could be late with this one but oh well "Improvements to Harley Avenue"

Thanks, very intertesting. I never knew about the "McWane wall."

So, does anyone know if there's any real plans for the city to acquire the remainder of the buildings along the east side of Montgomery?

#22 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

I see a new set of traffic lights where relocated Harley street meets Montgomery is now labeled "Trail Dr."  Huh?

Google maps shows it, too.  If Google is correct, Harley will still hit Montgomery at the same place it always has.  I thought the whole point was to open up the area for new facilities and parking, and to be free of streets.

#23 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Could it be a temporary situation?

EDIT: Actually, in the link above, it shows the Harley still hitting Montgomery in the "after" maps.
My blog: Doohickie

#24 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:08 PM

Possible trail drive extension to carol st. http://www.fortworth... - Attached.pdf

#25 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:33 AM

Here's more in the Star-Telegram about the Trail Drive extension through the Farrington Field property. Paywall-free link: https://www.facebook...153323759823530

#26 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:46 AM

I don't understand how this would really relieve traffic? Its just putting onto Lancaster no? 

#27 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:06 PM

I agree with Austin 55.  I spend a lot of time in that neighborhood and dont really detect a major traffic problem, ever.

Even during peak moments during the stock show, the traffic moves fine.  And during major events people always expect some slow moving ingress/egress.

I understand that, heading east on Trail Drive, turning north (left) onto University and then east (right) onto Lancaster may be slightly less efficient, but this seems far from necessary.   Now, if it yields more and better space for Trinity Park and provides a good new series of blocks for the expansion of West 7th Urban Village to the South, that could be a benefit. 

I sure dont want to see anything like the big expressway (or even "parkway") design that was proposed sometime around 2006/7 that channelled a wide road right through the Currie Street or Foch Street and effectively killed the narrow pedesrian oriented nature of those streets.  Slightly more convenient traffic is not worth killing the newly urban pedestrian-scale neighborhood that now exists. 

I dont clearly understand whether my above comment is a risk with the proposed new streets through Farrington Field. 

and - there are some huge trees just across University from the Trail Drive intersection - i hope that this design would preserve them. 

#28 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

Does anyone else think the name "Trail Drive" is hokey? Every time I see it I think that either some dyslexic planner tagged "trail" before rather than after the primary name or forgot the primary name altogether (i.e. Street Avenue...) or that it is a weak and "cutesey" play on words (trail drive, as in the act of moving cattle long distances...)

Either way, I think they could have done better naming that street. Surely there are some historical figures involved with Camp Bowie in the WWI era who have not been properly celebrated in Fort Worth, or some civic leader who contributed significantly to the development of the Centennial Exposition or the Stock Show. 

#29 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:37 PM

Does anyone else think the name "Trail Drive" is hokey? Every time I see it I think that either some dyslexic planner tagged "trail" before rather than after the primary name or forgot the primary name altogether (i.e. Street Avenue...) or that it is a weak and "cutesey" play on words (trail drive, as in the act of moving cattle long distances...)

Either way, I think they could have done better naming that street. Surely there are some historical figures involved with Camp Bowie in the WWI era who have not been properly celebrated in Fort Worth, or some civic leader who contributed significantly to the development of the Centennial Exposition or the Stock Show. 

Yeah, it does get into the "TOO Cowboy/Western" image to the point of making it seem as if they're trying too hard to be such. 

It would be nice to name the road after someone... just throwing that out there. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#30 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

But, but, there's been discussions of putting a road there since the '90s.  This street might save me 20 seconds when I'm trying to get to W7th.  How dare we question ideas from people 20 years ago and see if they are still good or even needed.  Gotta keep them cars moving.

If this does happen, I wonder how long until we hear about the first accident involving a pedestrian crossing the street to go to a game.  

#31 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:48 AM

Trail Drive may be extended around Farrington Field to connect to Currie Street with a feeder road extending over to Foch.  The City and the FWISD have worked out a deal.  Sandra Baker with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports below:

http://www.star-tele...le54415175.html

#32 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:43 AM

This is exactly the same as the hugely unpopular Trinity Parkway that was proposed and rejected ten years ago, minus the final connection to Museum Way.

http://archive.fwwee...sp?article=3544

Citizens to the barricades! 

#33 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:05 AM

Unless I'm missing something, it's not exactly the same at all. This is cutting across a parking lot, not park land.

#34 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

JBB, did you look at the map in the FWW article I posted above? The proposed Trail drive extension connects Trail drive to Currie and Foch, just like the proposed Trinity Parkway would have. It does not include a connection to Museum Way but we can assume that will be next. If you stand at the end of Trail drive and look across University, you will see Trinity Park, not a parking lot.

#35 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:37 AM

I did look at the map, but I guess I'm willing to hold judgment until I see the alignment. The article mentioned nothing about following that alignment and just a glance at an aerial shot shows that there's plenty of room to move the alignment north to minimize the impact on the park. Eh, as much as I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, you're probably right.

#36 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

From the article:

The project would also involve relocating a Park Department maintenance facility from the north end of Trinity Park. The move would reclaim 9 acres for the park and better access to the historic Van Zandt Cottage in the park.

Here's the map from the Star-Telegram article: http://www.star-tele...0/TrailDrMap_bw [link fixed]

And here's a satellite image of the area for comparison: https://goo.gl/maps/kQUAMdwDh872 

It appears that the impact on Trinity Park will be minimal, if not a net gain.

#37 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

That's a pretty big improvement over the plan from the Weekly article.

#38 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:26 PM

Trail Drive may be extended around Farrington Field to connect to Currie Street with a feeder road extending over to Foch.  The City and the FWISD have worked out a deal.  Sandra Baker with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports below:

http://www.star-tele...le54415175.html

Fantastic!
This project will help traffic and open up the Farrington lot to parking for the West 7th area.

#39 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:22 PM

JBB, did you look at the map in the FWW article I posted above? The proposed Trail drive extension connects Trail drive to Currie and Foch, just like the proposed Trinity Parkway would have. It does not include a connection to Museum Way but we can assume that will be next. If you stand at the end of Trail drive and look across University, you will see Trinity Park, not a parking lot.

Why? 

Logically you're employing a slippery slope fallacy here.

#40 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:56 PM

Trail Drive may be extended around Farrington Field to connect to Currie Street with a feeder road extending over to Foch.  The City and the FWISD have worked out a deal. ...

Not too happy about this. 

I think this parking lot and the Foch Street Corridor was perfect for a TOD project (street car line/garage/retail/offices).  Instead, it is being trashed in order to provide a short cut for motor vehicular traffic.

A missed opportunity for sure. :no:

#41 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:28 AM

I think it's a sensible workaround to relieve congestion.

#42 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:37 AM

Trail Drive may be extended around Farrington Field to connect to Currie Street with a feeder road extending over to Foch.  The City and the FWISD have worked out a deal. ...

Not too happy about this. 

I think this parking lot and the Foch Street Corridor was perfect for a TOD project (street car line/garage/retail/offices).  Instead, it is being trashed in order to provide a short cut for motor vehicular traffic.

A missed opportunity for sure. :no:

I agree that the land could have provided a route for a modern streetcar. The parking lot will probably be needed for some time, at least until a sizable parking structure is ready to take its place for school events at the stadium and field house. It would not be out of place to include planning for a future transit route within the scope of this project. Perhaps a bike highway could be installed as a "placeholder" until such time when Fort Worth is ready to deal with installing a modern streetcar system. That same sort of process could be done over and over again for several street building and rebuilding projects across the city.

#43 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:41 PM

Trail Drive is 2 lanes in each direction with a separated median.  Trail Drive extension will be "two lanes with a median" - is that one lane in each direction, or two lanes each direction?  What is the expected number of cars travelling on this road, and what is the speed limit going to be?  Lanes separated with a median sounds like a high speed road to me. 

The previous time this was proposed it would have connected through to 7th street to "relieve the congestion".  There's a reason that idea was unpopular.  That is because there would be lots of high speed traffic in closer proximity to the park.   One of the great things about Trinity Park is that there are places where you can get away from road noise and pollution.  If there are now going to be 28000 cars per day travelling at high speeds to bypass the west 7th traffic, that infringes on the park. 

I would hope that this remains only one lane in each direction, and that it does not eventually connect through to 7th.  But connecting it to Left Bank to "relieve more congestion" may prove too tempting; and "relieving the congestion" in driving from Sundance Square to the new Will Rogers center may be too tempting. 

This looks to me like the camel's nose under the edge of the tent. 

#44 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:38 AM

I think it's a sensible workaround to relieve congestion.

Congestion never seems to be relieved by new road construction; what typically results is the inverse.

What I think would a benefit of this road would be that the FWISD could develop the parking lot into a multi-level parking structure for daytime sporting events and night parking for the area businesses.

I hope that the new street will have traffic slowing curves and a speed reducing design.

#45 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:07 AM

What I think would a benefit of this road would be that the FWISD could develop the parking lot into a multi-level parking structure for daytime sporting events and night parking for the area businesses.

The most recent one of those built in the area is the Western Heritage garage over by WRMC. It cost $15 million, but due to taxpayer financing is actually going to cost you and me $30 million. It also set off a parking war and destroyed museum attendance. I can imagine if one were built near Farrington that all of the street parking in and around W 7th would have to go to meters, much like the museum area has done.

#46 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:49 PM

Yeah, fun idea, but the school district isn't going to have $15 million+ to plunk down on a parking garage without going into a costly public-private partnership.

#47 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:07 AM

From latest council packet

Authorize Execution of an Interlocal Agreement with Tarrant County in an Amount Not to Exceed $2,800,000.00 for Construction of the Trail Drive Extension Project, Authorize Execution of a Design Procurement Agreement With the Bass Foundation, LLC, in an Amount Not to Exceed $1,255,000.00 for the Design of Trail Drive from University Drive to Lancaster Avenue, Adopt Resolution in Support of Future Funding of the Trail Drive Extension Project and Adopt Appropriation Ordinance (COUNCIL DISTRICT 9)

9TYD6w2.png

#48 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

Here are some more details

Upon reimbursement, it is the intent of the Bass Foundation to invest a portion of these funds in improved trails, parking and landscaping around the Van Zandt Cottage.

I know that Historic Fort Worth brought this up as a concern in the recent most endangered buildings list. 

A separate but necessary project to enable the construction of the new road segment is the demolition and relocation of the current Parks and Recreation  maintenance functions operating at the Crestline facility. This relocation will result in improved visibility and access to the historic Van Zandt Cottage and increased functional parkland in Trinity Park of approximately 9 acres. The estimated cost of this relocation is $10 million and will replace obsolete facilities. Although this relocation would occur in the near future, the overall improvement of maintenance facilities for Parks and Recreation at James Avenue is proposed as a second phase at an estimated cost of $9 million in the 2018 bond project. 

So even with a roadway, the park will actually get bigger. 

Construction is expected to begin in February 2018 and conclude by Fall of 2018. 

#49 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:03 PM

This to me is a bit like the Hemphill-Taylor connector... it looks and sounds like a nice project, but is it really needed? I'm not sure what is truly gained from this other than causing traffic and pedestrian concerns on game nights trying to get to Farrington Field from what I guess would be a parking lot east of the new road.

More acreage to Trinity Park is awesome and the beautification of the area around Van Zandt Cottage is much needed, but I would have been more on board with this if it was somehow connected to Stayton and able to bypass West 7th.

#50 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

This is much needed. This will hopefully relieve the traffic that is approaching the W7th area from northbound University Drive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users