POPS!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

The Mrs. Longhonz32 and I took a quick trip this weekend to see Pops, a gas station designed by Rand Elliott along Route 66 in Arcadia OK just outside OkC. They feature over 500 choices of soda pops, thus the name, along with a kitchen and great food. In fact it is so good that we had to wait 45 minutes for a seat. The food was fantastic. I had the grilled PB&J - the J for $3.

The attraction was the brainchild of Chesapeake CEO Aubrey McClendon with the design responsibilities given to Rand Elliott. The willingness of an owner to allow great design of what has become such a mundane building has created a new legend along Rt. 66 and has resulted in sales beyond their wildest expectations. They were expecting to sell 125,000 bottles of pop their first year and ended up selling 600k. At $1.75 - $2.50 a bottle a nice little profit is being made.

The building's design is just amazing. Every aspect from how it is first seen to the detailing of the gas pumps and interior make it a very successful design. It has been visited by someone in every state and from visitors around the world. While we were there was even a couple from France who were video taping the interior. As one local architect that I know pointed out if Rand Elliott can design these great buildings in OKC just imagine what we could do in Ft. Worth.

http://www.pops66.com/

Rand Elliott's website
http://www.e-a-a.com/

#2 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:40 PM

Wow, just wow! Great photos, my compliments, and what an interesting building/store.

But, a *grilled* PBJ? I don't understand that at all. Where's the picture of that, huh?

#3 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Urban Planning, Conservation, Sustainability, Transit-oriented-Development, Historic Preservation.<br /><br />Hiking, camping, reading, BBQing, photography, traveling

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (UncaMikey @ Jun 28 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But, a *grilled* PBJ? I don't understand that at all. Where's the picture of that, huh?

I suppose maybe six frames a second wasn't fast enough for the camera to snap a shot of the sandwich before it was gobbled up? cheeburga.gif

#4 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (Recyclican @ Jun 28 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (UncaMikey @ Jun 28 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose maybe six frames a second wasn't fast enough for the camera to snap a shot of the sandwich before it was gobbled up? cheeburga.gif

Ha, actually I drove 3 1/2 hours and finally found my destination. I walked in, took off my lens cap, snapped my first picture and see the dreaded No CF card. I had left my memory card in FW. These pictures were after a run to radio shack for a new memory card.

#5 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:11 PM

Great photos. I had to show my daughter who graduated college in 2004. She used to collect the Jones soda pop bottles.
Mike

#6 NThomas

NThomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:48 AM

Great pics! And I thought QTs looked nice...

#7 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for those great pictures, I also didn't know this place existed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users