36 replies to this topic

#1 fwpcman

fwpcman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Postcard Collecting, Fort Worth History

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:19 AM

I wonder how many of the general population really know who the likeness of the statue that greets them that enter downtown from the north. Mr. Tandy was a great man and did a lot for this city, but I think that there could be and should be others that are more appropriately memorialized in front of the Tarrant County Courthouse. Names like B. B. Paddock, Major K. M. Van Zandt, Major Ripley Arnold, Amon Carter and even Fort Worth's own namesake General William Jenkins Worth might be more suited even though I doubt if the mainstream public would know of them either. I think that the Tandy statue might be better off if displayed somewhere on the new Radio Shack campus. Just my thoughts.

#2 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:03 AM

I wonder how many of the general population really know who the likeness of the statue that greets them that enter downtown from the north. Mr. Tandy was a great man and did a lot for this city, but I think that there could be and should be others that are more appropriately memorialized in front of the Tarrant County Courthouse. Names like B. B. Paddock, Major K. M. Van Zandt, Major Ripley Arnold, Amon Carter and even Fort Worth's own namesake General William Jenkins Worth might be more suited even though I doubt if the mainstream public would know of them either. I think that the Tandy statue might be better off if displayed somewhere on the new Radio Shack campus. Just my thoughts.

View Post

My vote for the general in replacing it. There isn't even one in Gen. Worth "Square". Tandy's statue has more of a Walt Disney quality to it, it should be in the Chamber of Commerce building, or FW Club, or even in downtown FW. If they are going to immortalize Tandy, then yes place more figures along that path, like W. Roger's and D. O'Brien (Award), JPSmith, maybe some notable ex-FW Cats (Snider, Wills), keep it diverse and accurate. Make the staue area a center focal point where the stories below each figure can guide you to many areas of the city to let visitors know of the tremendous contributions they have left us. Just a thought.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#3 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:32 AM

At the time the statue was put up, Tandy was the Ed Bass of his day -- and so the city felt a lot of the town's success was due to his then-innovative Radio Shack that put Fort Worth on the technology map of the 1970s .. Paddock gets the Main St bridge named after him... Gen. Worth gets the whole town named after him (not to mention a 50 foot obelisk in Manhattan) .. let the remote controlled boat retailer have his day :(

#4 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:38 PM

I think Gen. Worth should have a memorial in Hyde Park next to the Flatiron Bldg. as a counterpart to his New York Flatiron memorial.

#5 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:26 PM

I think Gen. Worth should have a memorial in Hyde Park next to the Flatiron Bldg. as a counterpart to his New York Flatiron memorial.

View Post

THAT would be awesome -- and somewhat symbolic on so many levels... The Q is, would they insist the FW one be taller?

#6 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:09 AM

ALERT, ALERT a GREAT IDEA, other than IKEA

They should devote/close all of 8th and 9th on Main St, Commerce, and Houston. Then join all of Hyde Park to the new Gen. Worth Sq. Grass up the streets there, the convention goers and central d-town residences would love that appeal. You can even design the Main ST. area with some of the red brick road left over and grow grass trims around say 1000 sq.ft of each 4x4 arranged brick, place about 20 patio table and chairs, not to mention a much needed waterfall/wall. Get those flowers bloomin after the winter chill. Just imagine a true park to host the main stage for the Arts Festival, that would be oh so kickin A. I've got some design sketches that are a bit rougher than what I detailed here.
www.iheartfw.com

#7 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 04 March 2005 - 07:56 AM

Now, that is one HECK of an idea!!!!! :wub:

#8 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:57 AM

In the early nineties, the idea floated for a sculpture of Amon Carter. The would be patron got very minimal positive feedback, decided no one remembered A.C., got discouraged, and dropped the plan.

But of course the Sleeping Panther was almost totally forgotten until a handful of rabid history buffs managed to bring it back. The legend is building steam again, and was the theme of the Hillwood sponsored 'Mayor's Party' this year. Part of the idea of such a statue is to keep the memory alive.

And there still is no real memorial to JFK in Fort Worth, either, after the last promoters ran short of funds in midstream.

I like the idea of reworking Worth Square.

#9 tcole

tcole

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:28 AM

These memorials are all great ideas. But perhaps the concentration of them all downtown is not the best route. What about placing various small memorials (squares, parks, etc) along strategic corridors. Then developers could be encouraged to develope "urban villages around said squares and parks that would hopefully develop continuously along the corridors.

Jonny enthusisatically reported on the beauties of Buenos Aires last summer after spending a month down there. I visited in January, and one aspect of that city that I found charming was multiple squares and small parks throughout the city that were dedicated to various figures important to the city's, nation's and even world's history. Downtown is an asset, but it has sufficient momentum - I think there are other places to focus now - like the CD - something Bill Steele championed a few years back in these forums (I would suggest some of the newer members to track down and read those threads).

#10 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:49 AM

And there still is no real memorial to JFK in Fort Worth, either, after the last promoters ran short of funds in midstream.

View Post

Yeah.. a photo and engraved plaque in the entry to the Radission doesn't quite do the last night of his life justice :wub: .. I think it is an official Texas Historical Marker, though if that's an consolation

#11 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:53 AM

These memorials are all great ideas.  But perhaps the concentration of them all downtown is not the best route.  What about placing various small memorials (squares, parks, etc) along strategic corridors.  Then developers could be encouraged to develope "urban villages around said squares and parks that would hopefully develop continuously along the corridors. 

Jonny enthusisatically reported on the beauties of Buenos Aires last summer after spending a month down there.  I visited in January, and one aspect of that city that I found charming was multiple squares and small parks throughout the city that were dedicated to various figures important to the city's, nation's and even world's history.  Downtown is an asset, but it has sufficient momentum - I think there are other places to focus now - like the CD - something Bill Steele championed a few years back in these forums (I would suggest some of the newer members to track down and read those threads).

View Post

That sort of idea should only be promoted with density shifts throughout those set sites. Buenos Aires density? FW density? We need to encourage that wave of visitors to the downtown districts, when we get to 3 million plus then yes, little posts of whos whos and historical landmark plaques are recommended much like in Monterrey, MX or MX City. It's just not appealing/attractive now, maybe 50 years from now with this pace of pop. growth. With the med. pop. we have and meager tourism/conventions, the majority interests will be in downtown, soon to be TRiver as well. So when it booms then promote throughout like BA. We are still a city of intimacy, and the common rendezvous is downtown.
www.iheartfw.com

#12 fwpcman

fwpcman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Postcard Collecting, Fort Worth History

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:00 AM

Several years ago I had the chance to stroll the streets of Savannah, Georgia and it seemed like there were one square block parks every few streets with a memorial to someone or some historical event within each one. I'd much rather see a shaded park with benches, a fountain or a statue than a whole square block of asphalt with a bunch of cars parked all over it anytime.

#13 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 05 March 2005 - 06:16 PM

Even small mini parks would do. Just a wide space off the road, with landscaping & park benches, to serve as an oasis & resting place amid the asphalt jungle, while contemplating those who have shaped the city. There are several such spaces already, though most are private I guess.
I'm thinking of the neat little spaces such as that next to La Madelaine.

#14 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:54 PM

These memorials are all great ideas.  But perhaps the concentration of them all downtown is not the best route.  What about placing various small memorials (squares, parks, etc) along strategic corridors.  Then developers could be encouraged to develope "urban villages around said squares and parks that would hopefully develop continuously along the corridors. 

Jonny enthusisatically reported on the beauties of Buenos Aires last summer after spending a month down there.  I visited in January, and one aspect of that city that I found charming was multiple squares and small parks throughout the city that were dedicated to various figures important to the city's, nation's and even world's history.  Downtown is an asset, but it has sufficient momentum - I think there are other places to focus now - like the CD - something Bill Steele championed a few years back in these forums (I would suggest some of the newer members to track down and read those threads).

View Post

A CD Square could very well work. But trying to place here with what BAires has, not for a while. Friend just got back from there while on a cruise stop to Antarctica. BA is gorgeous, people, places, nightlife, you name it. We both understand there is a whole lot of Italian influence and other Euro architecture design. It helps when you have 15 million or so people in one little space, almost zero cars, and roads are used to walk in. That won't happen here in FW in my life time. So the memorials and lil parks every 1/4 mile does not jibe, at least not yet.
www.iheartfw.com

#15 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:25 AM

Even small mini parks would do. Just a wide space off the road, with landscaping & park benches, to serve as an oasis & resting place amid the asphalt jungle, while contemplating those who have shaped the city. There are several such spaces already, though most are private I guess.
I'm thinking of the neat little spaces such as that next to La Madelaine.

View Post

Look no farther than Irving, that's right Irving, Texas. Irving is placing neat mini oasis throughout town at spaces near major intersections..these mini parks are very nice and add so much to the aesthetics of the city. Great job Irving!...Would love to do the same in Fort Worth.

"Keep Fort Worth Folksy!"

#16 TCFWMAN

TCFWMAN

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:20 PM

View Post

#17 TCFWMAN

TCFWMAN

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:13 PM

I generally agree with your thoughts. Charles Tandy did a great deal for Fort Worth, but a statue of General Worth would be much more appropriate at the north entrance to the city. This location is the brink of a wide range of new developments which will significantly add to the value of the city (e.g. Trinity River Vision), a statue of a founding father should face this vision, not a successful business man whose contribution peaked in the 1970s. I would propose to relocate the Charles Tandy statue to a place synonymous with his contribution, the Tandy Center. Under its current plan, the south tower and mall area is to be converted into luxury condominiums. The statue located in a common area of the facility would be a wonderful reminder of the property's history.

I would like to suggest such a relocation to the appropriate city officials. Would anyone know who the proper contact would be to help facilitate this?

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

Mayor Mike Moncrief or possibly downtown Councilwoman Wendy Davis might be able to listen to your ideas on relocating the statue.

#19 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:31 AM

If Tandy is relocated, then it should be replaced with something suitable. General Worth might be nice, but Fort Worth has never been quick to recognize past V.I.P.s. I noticed a sculpture of what looks like Ephraim Dagget, one of the early city fathers, in the library the other day, but it doesn't even have a sign on it to tell who it is.
Maybe Tandy should be replaced with a sculpture of Perry Bass, the modern counterpart.

#20 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:52 AM

Haha. LOL.

I'll wait til old Perry learns to make a transistor radio operate. Then sells em to 100's of millions of satisfying customers.

Tandy, is the much more influential and historically deserving individual model for this town. IMHO.

What business is PBass pinned to anyways? Is it cattle/mining/fashion? What is it?

Agree that Gen. Worth and his Square should garner more attention. It's roots baby.
www.iheartfw.com

#21 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:38 AM

I think that Mr. Tady should be placed in the middle of battery henge over there at Radio Shack.... :huh: No one knows who that statue is and those that ask think its the person our town is named after. After all most towns reconginze the name sake somewhere. Tandy was great in his time...but we need to make a change. I agree about the park idea..cause frankly i think more people would go down town if there were more places to sit and relax and enjoy the scenery.....I was wondering when someone would mention Savannah.....Great town, great history...I think we need more parks in down town...we really dont have that many great parks...i mean we have a few but they are all so spread out. I love having the trails behind my house and the levee to walk on..but I think we need more of that stuff....it would encourage more people to get out and enjoy the outdoors..except in the dead of summer when you can cook an entire meal on the hood of you car :D

#22 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:14 AM

I think RadioShack wanted to get away from the Tandy legacy for whatever reason. They did a thorough job of removing all aspects of Tandy after his death, even to the point of removing it from their corporate identity. I heard some stories about internal politics, but I think it unlikely that they would want the statue greeting visitors to batteryhenge.

I know of a small park-like area just north of the Tarrant County Courthouse that would be perfect for the Tandy statue. Its at the end of North Main right where it comes off the Paddock viaduct and is between Bluff Street and Belknap. Maybe you could add other statues of prominent Fort Worth folk - there is room for more than one statue there.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#23 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:54 PM

OK, tell me why again that the Tandy statue is being moved? Is Bass clearing space for his new statue or what? Can't we leave well enough alone until there is a need to move the statue? What the heck is wrong with it where it is?

From Today's Star-Telegram:

Trading spaces
These familiar public artworks are scheduled to find new perches.

Statue of Charles David Tandy

Artist: Jim Reno

Details: A bronze work representing the original founder of Tandy Corp., a renowned civic leader and philanthropist.

Current location: Paddock Park overlooking North Main, on the north side of downtown’s Tarrant County Courthouse.

Proposed move: To west side of Tandy Hall, part of the Neeley School of Business on Texas Christian University’s campus.

Move date: Pending various city approvals, the statue could be transferred in October or November.

It also looks like the aviation wall of honor is getting booted out of General Worth Square. Perhaps we can get that Al Hayne memorial moved somewhere more appropriate - maybe next to the fire station. Also, why is there a horse fountain at the courthouse? Can't we move that out by the horse barns at the Stockyards.

What is it with these silly people from the past who paid for and located these memorials? Couldn't they have put them where we want in the future?

#24 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:39 AM

Is it just us, or does the statue look like Ray Milland, circa "Love Story'" and "Frogs" ? We've always nicknamed that statue "Ray Millandy."

#25 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

Perhaps we can get that Al Hayne memorial moved somewhere more appropriate - maybe next to the fire station. Also, why is there a horse fountain at the courthouse? Can't we move that out by the horse barns at the Stockyards.

What is it with these silly people from the past who paid for and located these memorials? Couldn't they have put them where we want in the future?
[/quote]

The Al Hayne memorial was also originally a 'horse fountain', one of four erected as watering troughs for the horses which, of course, were the main mode of transport. One was at Main and Central, and the last one is behind some church downtown, a statue of John Peter Smith.

#26 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:26 AM

Sir Tandy

www.fortworthview.com

#27 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

Is that a cigar in his hand? Well, no wonder they want to move the statue. Such a bad influence on our children whirring by in cars. wink.gif

Nice composition, Monee.

#28 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (AndyN @ Aug 28 2008, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that a cigar in his hand? Well, no wonder they want to move the statue. Such a bad influence on our children whirring by in cars. wink.gif

Nice composition, Monee.

Thanks.

I was thinking it was the first laser pointer (Radio Shack Model #27-106) and he was directing river traffic.

Really, the cigar may be a good example of what happens to you when you smoke? (he died at 60)
www.fortworthview.com

#29 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:45 PM

Monee, you are getting to be quite the photographer!

#30 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:43 PM

I've never understood why the Tandy statue was in that location in the first place. I bet we could come up with ten names of people whose likenesses would be more appropriate there.

- B.B. Paddock
- John Peter Smith
- Ripley Arnold
- Amon Carter
- Jim Wright
- Marvin & Obie Leonard

Well, there's seven, anyway. Arnold would be my first choice.

Tandy was a great civic leader and very important to this city in his day. I just don't think that particular location, perhaps the most prominent we have, is where his statue belongs.

#31 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Urban Planning, Conservation, Sustainability, Transit-oriented-Development, Historic Preservation.<br /><br />Hiking, camping, reading, BBQing, photography, traveling

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:49 AM

In case you are in the market for a granite pedestal - at a heck of a bargain at 25 dollars! - they are auctioning off the base for this statue on LoneStarOnline: http://lonestaronlin...emnum=929837767

Who knows, might make a nice doorstop, or I bet it'd look just perfect in your vegetable garden!

#32 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:53 AM

Good catch. I wonder how much it would cost to move across town?

#33 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (Recyclican @ Jun 19 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In case you are in the market for a granite pedestal - at a heck of a bargain at 25 dollars! - they are auctioning off the base for this statue on LoneStarOnline: http://lonestaronlin...emnum=929837767

Who knows, might make a nice doorstop, or I bet it'd look just perfect in your vegetable garden!

Wow, and the high bid is 25 bucks! Wouldn't the entrance area of Tandy Hills Park have been a good place for this memorial? It be good to fit it in before all the rest of the land is taken up with gas wells.

#34 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (Keller Pirate @ Jun 19 2009, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good catch. I wonder how much it would cost to move across town?

About five dollars. Duct tape can do anything.

--

Kara B.

#35 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

Better bring two rolls. Solid granite at 60”H x 41”W x 41”D is gonna be a load.

#36 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:35 PM

I didn't realize he was only 60 when he died. I wonder how different Fort Worth might be if he had lived to be 80 or 90?

#37 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:09 AM

Good times
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

0 user(s) are reading this topic