546 replies to this topic

#101 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Very nice people can be angry. In fact with today's political climate surely should be.

I was out picking up trash all morning, to put Fort Worth in a nicer light for our visitors. The people going back and forth to the convention center were very nice.
www.fortworthview.com

#102 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

Very nice people can be angry. In fact with today's political climate surely should be.

I was out picking up trash all morning, to put Fort Worth in a nicer light for our visitors. The people going back and forth to the convention center were very nice.

Generally speaking, I find most of the visitors to downtown to be nice; and do ascribe their civil demeanor as more of a function of Fort Worth's great hospitality and warmth. Perhaps this explains what a difference to being out on the fresh and airy streets of downtown makes in ones nicety as juxtaposed to being coup up in the dark bowels of a frenzied and raucous Convention Center hall replete with quotes such as "I will take them out!" Even when one has booed and jeered ones own, how can one, after all, possibly resist the spell which is the folksy nature of Fort Worth.

We are indebted to your efforts to promote a cleaner city.

#103 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

I've seen gentle and sweet little old grandmothers become rather direct while eradicating a snake from the backyard. Could very well be a function of the topic of the moment.

Speaking of topic, a hotel would have been a great use for the south tower. The downtown hotels are running a solid 73% this year. This is considered very strong in the hospitality industry.

#104 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

I wonder if the Worthington could use it as a specialty offshoot of the main hotel similar to The Hotel at Mandalay Bay?

#105 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

I do think a hotel would have been a good use for the south tower, but I think it would be better to have another brand in downtown. More competition might bring in more business.

#106 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

They are putting up tilt wall this week along Taylor street

#107 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Here is the latest construction photograph taken on July 8, 2012.
Posted Image

#108 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

How much parking is included in this and will any of it be available to the public (i.e. Sundance Square)?

#109 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

A really special photo John. Both informative and pretty. (Like I like my women)
www.fortworthview.com

#110 downtowndweller

downtowndweller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

How much parking is included in this and will any of it be available to the public (i.e. Sundance Square)?

I think one of the sides has a parking garage...

Anyone know when this is going to be finished?

#111 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

I think one of the sides has a parking garage...

Anyone know when this is going to be finished?

There is really very little information on the complex, but take a look at this site. Has a few tabs.

http://www.spirereal...e/overview-city

And

http://realpoints.dm...-in-fort-worth/
www.fortworthview.com

#112 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

According to the Business Press, the garage has topped out. Also, in doing my research for TDLR applications, it appears that renovations to the South Tower are scheduled to start in October.

#113 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

Go South Tower! I counted on it looking nice when I bought my new condo one year ago. (It is what I am looking straight into...)
www.fortworthview.com

#114 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Good news indeed. Someone said that the developers are turning the south tower into Class A offices. I think a hotel would be better with shopping and a plaza below, makes more sense.

#115 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

According to the Business Press, the garage has topped out. Also, in doing my research for TDLR applications, it appears that renovations to the South Tower are scheduled to start in October.

It looks like they still a floor framed but not poured.

#116 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

There is still some formwork left on the garage. However, it does appear that it has reached its full structural height. Many times, buildings are topped out when they place the first beam on the roof, and many times the building actually gets a little taller with the mechanical and elevator penthouses added later. I took some pictures this morning and I will post them soon.

#117 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Here's the latest construction photo taken on August 18, 2012. This view is from the east side.
Posted Image

#118 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:men, reading, music, and development

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

Does anyone have any updated new on this project?

#119 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

I wish. I just sent an email to Spire Realty to see if they could give us an update. (Officers or hotel)

We have heard that Oct. 1 they begin on the South Tower.
www.fortworthview.com

#120 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

I wish. I just sent an email to Spire Realty to see if they could give us an update. (Officers or hotel)

I read somewhere that a decision has been made to renovate the South Tower for Class A Office Space. Apparently this decision was made sometime ago, by evidence of Spire Realty to leave in tact the elevated pedestrian crossover between City Place and the Worthington Hotel.

"There will never be any additional upscale hotels built north of 5th Street or adjacent to Sundance Properties"......[snarkey sarcasm]

#121 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

I am pretty sure Sundance would rather it be a Hotel. They have lots of office space and tons more on the way that would be competition. And the Worthington is frequently full based on my experience. I don't know what they think for sure... but I bet they are not likely influencing this big Dallas Company to build something less profitable on their own property.
www.fortworthview.com

#122 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

I am pretty sure Sundance would rather it be a Hotel....

I am not so sure.

It is a familiar pattern. Developers, usually from out of town, announce plans to build a full upscale hotel to serve the hotel business at the core of Fort Worth; and then the developers having announced such plans, mysteriously "change" their original plans Never mind the city's proven strong demand for additional high end hotel rooms, or that one hotel is enjoying near full occupancy year round.

I was pretty sure that the plans for a hotel were dead months ago when at the time the demolition of the Tandy Mall did not include the removal of the overhead walkway between City Place and Worthington Hotel. That was a tell tale sign for me that someone had gotten to Spire Realty. As a result, they have probably been out maneuvered by Sundance having their project be limited two instead of three revenue sources: retail and office space, and not hotel. This is an area that Sundance can and will find a way to dominate ultimately. Free markets are not free; and small markets can be manipulated with leverage.

It must be said that Spire Realty does not currently have a hotel property in its portfolio, but I would imagine that they were planning for City Place to be their signature and grandiose entry into that genre. They are a rather impressive company and one hopes that they would choose to build a hotel for competitive reasons as well as giving visitors more choice; but I suspect that contractual arrangements have made already between the principles that would prohibit a hotel at City Place. It will be quite interesting when Sundance begins to use its clout in the office and retailing sector and what impact it will then have upon an upstart competitor like City Place. At least with a hotel, City Place might have had a counter to the Sundance effect. Here is their press release over a year ago with the Star-Telegram in which they touted the enthusiasm for a hotel:

http://www.spirereal...5/Star-Telegram

#123 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:51 AM

Just a really strange coincidence, I see this article about City Place in this Morning's paper.
States they always had planned offices though they were approached by a few Hotel Chains.
It didn't mention any influence by Sundance Square. (people get sued for obstructing business plans these days)

I am anxious to get the City Place One tower renovated. It has been a dirty, dark suck-hole in the middle of our downtown.

http://www.star-tele...owner-gets.html
www.fortworthview.com

#124 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

I am anxious to get the City Place One tower renovated.....

I think that we can all agree on that point.

#125 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

What's more likely? A conspiracy theory involving dark forces hosting clandestine meetings in back alleys with the intent of keeping a new hotel out of downtown Fort Worth? Or proven financial and economic forces making an office renovation the more viable option? Developers are going to go with them plan that brings the best return. I doubt it's any more complex than that.

#126 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

I guess I'm having trouble picturing what all is going in on the site. Have any rendering or anything been released of the finished product? Is it street level retail on the east side and garage on the left?

#127 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

I guess I'm having trouble picturing what all is going in on the site. Have any rendering or anything been released of the finished product? Is it street level retail on the east side and garage on the left?

It looks to me that the South side of the interior portion (area between the 2 Towers) will be retail and the North side Parking.

This may be our best rendition.

http://realpoints.dm...l-Rendering.jpg
www.fortworthview.com

#128 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

....Or proven financial and economic forces making an office renovation the more viable option? Developers are going to go with them plan that brings the best return.....

Going out on a limb is a place I usually try to avoid particularly when it is wrapped around a conspiracy mill; but try as I may, I guess I have.

So the question is between the two options: CBD Class A Office or CBD Hotel Occupancy and which of the two is the more viable use of the City Place South Tower. Recent studies suggest that it is an economic toss up as each market currently is strong and is trending above the national averages for their category as demonstrated by the accompanying reports.

One factor that appeals to me is, while the viability of Class A Office space absorption relies on newly established tenants or tenants seeking to relocate; hotels can, through their national and international network, keep a steady revenue of business as well as depend on its local tourist and convention business to be viable.

I suppose that Spire Realty, by choosing to add to its Class A office portfolio was a decision not to venture into the hotel business, preferring instead to operate in more familiar territory. I still do think that there probably was some outside persuasion going on; and whether their decision may turned out to be premature if you factor in the impact that both Sundance and Pier One/Chesapeake Tower will be having on the immediate market?

Fort Worth Class A Space Report:
http://www.rebusines...in.cfm?id=25242

Fort Worth Hotel Space Report:
http://www.fortworth...D=107&menuID=56

#129 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

Taking a vacation day today. (I have 65 days I need to use before 12-31)

Happy to report that there have been guys all over the roof of this One City Place building this afternoon. Measuring wheels (ya, bet there is a name for those things) cameras, HVAC area meetings.
They are supposed to start on this building October 1, so makes sense.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#130 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

I've never seen them called anything other than measuring wheels.

#131 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

^^Awesome pictures, makes the people look really tiny. the river looks really great from up there, nice grab with the train in the back to :)

Kindoff answering my own question here but I found more images on the Spire Realty website gallery here.
Also mentions one city place (300 Throckmorton) as being class A office available in the 4th quarter of 2013.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#132 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

Nice find on the City Place project, Austin. Looks like the reality is matching the drawings exactly.

Sure looks like offices for One City Place. As I am looking into the building, I prefer offices to Hotels. (I have plenty of Hotels to look into and I am not interested.) As close as it is I would not care to be looking into people private lives. (The fantasy of there always being a college cheerleading convention quickly turns to the reality of a fat plumber conventions) Also, Offices wind down at night when it easiest to see into the building. I am looking forward to a "Live Building". Has been pretty sad just sitting for these 8 years.
www.fortworthview.com

#133 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

I have also only heard measuring wheels. Regarding the roof shot, wouldn't you love to just walk around up there? It looks a little scary with no parapet wall to protect you at the edge.

I was also going to make the same comment that Brian did about reality matching the rendering. I also think the new retail space that is attached to the south tower will be a great place for a shop or a restaurant.

#134 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

Brian: The fantasy of there always being a college cheerleading convention quickly turns to the reality of a fat plumber conventions

bahahahahaha... wow. We're needing more city center hotels like the other major cities have. That's one of the main things the "Republic" / "Democratic" Convention / Super Bowl / FIFA World Cup / The Olympics, just to name a few... committees look for.

But yes, nice find Austin55

#135 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

I see this new huge Mobile crane in the City Place area this morning. Kind of wondering if it is to dismantle the huge construction crane?

I am very excited that on Monday, construction (Restoration) begins on the South Tower. (One City Place)

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#136 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

There is quite a bit of cladding that is going up, its looking a lot more complete today. If the rain lets up before I go home I'll try and get pics, but doibt that happens.

#137 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

Austin55 you were right. Lots of visual progress to the City Place Complex. And TOMORROW they start on the South Tower. (One City Place.)

Looking West from Throckmorton. (Looking over construction fencing.)
Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#138 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

That looks really nice, seeing the design I hope they update the look of the high rises too.

#139 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

The north tower has already been done. The south tower will look like the north when the project is completed.

#140 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

Wow! It's starting to shape up nicely there. Hopefully more high end stores become tenants there. We have to be ready for Super Bowl 50 :)

#141 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

The north tower has already been done. The south tower will look like the north when the project is completed.

Aw, man....

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#142 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Aw, man....

Um, yeah, agree. You would think they could have come up with something a little more imaginative, or at least something different. Probably a lot cheaper this way...

#143 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

Surely it is cheaper. But as much money as they are putting into this project they surely like the looks of the North Tower. I sure do. It is a pretty new design and looks very fresh to me. In fact I will like the North Tower even better when it has a twin sister.
www.fortworthview.com

#144 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

To Me it does not match the new design of the inner buildings. Fort worth needs to look like a city of close to 800,000 pple, not like a city of 190,000. I love my home town but I mean really.......

#145 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Its hard to believe the North and South towers at one point looked the same. The North one looks 100x better, not bad for a box.

The new middle section, not impressed at all. Took this today (Galaxy S3). The second floor, assuming its done up to the skybridge connection (which according to the renderings, it is), looks pretty bad in my opinion. Some white rectangles with that ugly dark grey/ black mesh stuff. Very cold and boring, and looks dated before its finished. The first floor will have retail though, so that's a great redeeming feature.

Posted Image

#146 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

Could that black section be an LED lighting display similar to the new billboard signs now being used roadside? A NYC Times Square style lighting would certainly draw attention.

Adrian

#147 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

Could that black section be an LED lighting display similar to the new billboard signs now being used roadside? A NYC Times Square style lighting would certainly draw attention.

How freakin cool that would be... wow

#148 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Got glass going in and some work on the sidewalk now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still pretty ugly...

#149 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

I'm not defending the design of the infill, but the portion that is attached to the north tower is basically a parking garage. Parking garages have to be at least 50% open to the air, or ventilation is required. It's pretty hard to achieve at least 50% of the walls to be open without it looking like a parking garage. It can be done. A great example is the Municipal Parking Garage between the Omni Hotel and AT&T. That building really doesn't look much like a high rise garage.

#150 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

Here are my latest construction photographs, taken on October 14, 2012.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Construction Photographs, Old Tandy Center

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users