• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:50 AM

When I was little some of us kids would play in Boaz Park, and we would wander down a secluded path to the old wooden train trestle bridge that spans a narrow channel of Mary's Creek.  Every once in a while, as an adult, I take the same trek and sit on the rocks to admire this bridge.  How this old wood framework can still support a heavy freight train amazes me!  I also remember that kids should not play on the tracks at this particular location because a speeding train can come up suddenly and without warning.  The trestle has a history of tragedies that goes back 60 years or more.

#2 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:48 PM

The wooden trestle is over Walnut Creek; Mary's Creek is spanned by the steel and concrete bridge a few hundred yards east. It's been a long time since I went close to either one but I remember stumps of old wooden pilings at both, remnants of earlier trestles.

I too have heard the story of the boys playing on the trestle when a train came. All but one jumped off into the creek. Within the last five or ten years there was also the man walking his dog. Neither of them made it...

#3 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:56 PM

Not a tragedy but long, long ago there was also this: https://en.wikipedia...xas_to_Arkansas

http://hometownbyhandlebar.com/?p=6501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users