Photo
- - - - -

Who are the best architects in Fort Worth?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:45 PM

I am interested in finding a very innovative, talented, sophisticated architect in Fort Worth. I would prefer an architect who is relatively young (under 50), and one who is highly knowledgeable about green building, modern design (not a requirement that their work is all modern), construction feasibility, and about construction costs.

I am not looking for a phone book list of local architects or firms - have already visited the AIA site - but rather a specific recommendation of which architect is today or tomorrow's local star. If the architect is working with a firm, I'm more interested in learning about the individual rather than the firm itself.

I won't hire an architect who lives in or whose practice is based in Dallas. I would consider an Austin, Houston, or San Antonio-based architect, however I would greatly prefer to find one in Fort Worth.

If you know of one, please provide a link to his/her web site or to any images of their work (existing or planned).

If you know of an up-and-comer from another city, I'd still be interested in seeing their work and learning about them.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations and ideas.

#2 ochona

ochona

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:17 PM

I am an architect in Austin -- but I'm actually not posting for my own self-promotion. I have had three friends ask me for references to architects who do modern residential work in Fort Worth...and I've been at a loss as to whom to refer them. I have to admit, the AIA Fort Worth website doesn't seem to work.

Also, I grew up around Fort Worth and the next time I'm in town it sure would be nice to drive around and see what's going on!

#3 Yossarian

Yossarian

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

San Antonio-based architect

David Lake or Ted Flato. Although they may be a shade over 50. Two of the most celebrated and innovative architects in Texas today. And they work together. But they aint cheap.

#4 eastchaseclean

eastchaseclean

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:04 PM

Urban, I saw your inquiry on the "Lofts on Fairmount" link regarding Craig Sandlin. Yes, I deliberately mentioned that he is a designer, he is not a licensed Architect. He has several years of schooling but actually got quite busy on successful projects before completing his degree. He is now full time designing for builder David Lewis. I'm quite sure his plans are approved by a registered Engineer before any ground is broken, but his construction knowledge is also impressive. Unfortunately, he does not have a web site but if you contact him at David Lewis Builders (Vickery SW of downtown), I'm sure he would be happy to show you what he's done.

I don't have any special motive to promote Craig, or David Lewis Builders, other than the fact that he is a friend, and that his designs are well received (and I think... Spectacular). He designed my home and I'm proud to give him credit for the many compliments I get.

Having said all this, I respect the great licensed Architects of this area, and don't want to undermine their expertise and the fees they so duly deserve. You sound like you too, realize the importance of including the design/architecure costs as an integral part of any construction budget and not just a semi-necessary burden.

#5 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:29 PM

Sorry, but I don't know of any decent architects around here. Or on this particular FORUM.

Kidding.

In SA I know of one by the name of T.Leutkenhaus (under 50). He was actually a HS friend of mine and is now a practicing architect in SA. Haven't seen him in years, but I am not sure if he is booked or not these days, but he is a young man who would love to have a go at it.

So I would consider him an UP and COMER.

I'll ask a good friend of mine, who is a development mgr. for a BIG project underway in SA, if there are any helpful links to help you out. GLuck.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#6 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:55 AM

I would suggest checking out the work of Max Levy. He is based in Dallas, but he is a Fort Worth native, a graduate of Paschal High. He is probably about 55 years old. His family has deep roots in Fort Worth going back several generations, and I believe he married a Fort Worth girl, his old high school sweetheart. His work is very contemporary and also highly regarded. Check him out on the web. He has won numerous awards, and I suspect he does not work cheap. I don't know that he has done much work in Fort Worth, and I am sure he would love to do something interesting and noteworthy.

#7 ochona

ochona

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:25 AM

Austin has an incredible pool of "young" architects and designers who would fit the bill (if we're casting our net wider than Tarrant County). I don't know if Fort Worth specifically requires a licensed architect for single-family homes, but unlicensed designers can do houses in most places in Texas without a problem. Most jurisdictions do require a licensed structural engineer to design and seal drawings for the foundation.

Here are just a smattering of some young good architects and designers in Austin:
KRDB (design-build) www.lividpencil.net
Rhode:Hurt (info@rhodehurt.com; their website is under construction)
Michael Hsu Design Office (maybe not licensed architects)
Bercy Chen Studio (www.bcarc.com)

Young architects often aren't as knowledgeable about the realities of construction (myself included) or construction pricing. However, good contractors and a talented young architect make a great team, since many architects who are experts in construction are also experts at designing the same thing over...and over...and over...

I would say, though, don't get caught up on the age so much. Many are the architects who worked their way up the food chain, so to speak, and finally start their own firms in their 40s or 50s. Because they finally have the ability, they cut loose design-wise. Indeed, I can also refer you to architects in their 30s who are extremely conservative design-wise...and who know next to nothing about the reality of construction.

Max Levy is also very good and starting to get noticed in the architectural press. By his own account he only works on one house at a time so you can probably expect a waiting list.

#8 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:04 PM

Urbndwlr,
A family friend, Don Ferrier (Ferrier Builders) from the Fort Worth area, has been using green building methods for 20 years and would be a good source of information for this sort of construction. He does residential and some commercial....his daughter's new project which is thier showcase/model home was recently featured in the Star Telegram "Heather's Home" is nearing completion in the Weatherford area. They used GGO of Dallas for the design." I had a chance to watch them install some of the SIP's. You wouldn't believe the energy cost savings.

Here's some links:
http://www.heathershome.info/
http://www.ferrierbuilders.com/
http://www.ferriercustomhomes.com/
http://www.ggoarchitects.com/home.html

#9 Biggins

Biggins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:24 PM

Frank Welch is, IMHO, one of the best architects for Texas vernacular/modern (no bronze stars and longhorns here tongue.gif). And he's been an architect for a LONG time (since 1959, according to his website). No doubt, he's $$$.

#10 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE(Nitixope @ Apr 5 2006, 05:04 PM) View Post

Urbndwlr,
A family friend, Don Ferrier (Ferrier Builders) from the Fort Worth area, has been using green building methods for 20 years and would be a good source of information for this sort of construction. He does residential and some commercial....his daughter's new project which is thier showcase/model home was recently featured in the Star Telegram "Heather's Home" is nearing completion in the Weatherford area. They used GGO of Dallas for the design." I had a chance to watch them install some of the SIP's. You wouldn't believe the energy cost savings.

Here's some links:
http://www.heathershome.info/
http://www.ferrierbuilders.com/
http://www.ferriercustomhomes.com/
http://www.ggoarchitects.com/home.html

Heather's House Makes FW Weekly's "Best Of 2006"

Example of New Architecture

Readers’ choice: Pier 1 Building, 100 Pier 1 Place, FW

Staff choice: Heather’s House, Parker County

Aesthetically, this Parker County private home is merely generic-hip. It’s asymmetrical and, at its highest point, no taller than a couple of stories. The pinnacle is a small, curved metal roof — has there been a more annoying architectural tic in the past 30 years? But considering that Heather’s House may be the most energy-efficient abode in North Texas, looks aren’t that important. Built by Don Ferrier of Ferrier Custom Homes, the single-family unit employs rather simple — and inexpensive — design techniques and materials to achieve maximum efficiency. The occupants are Ferrier’s 25-year-old daughter and house namesake, her sister Lacey, and a mutual friend. As if having a custom home handed to her isn’t enough, Heather’s heating and cooling bill will likely be under $15 ... every month.

#11 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

Does anyone know of any concrete home builders in DFW?

#12 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:43 AM

I would also be interested in this info cjyoung. I am interested in replacing an exterior wall with concrete/filled concrete block and building a storm shelter (/wine cellar! ha ha) outside against that wall of the same material, preferably with a poured concrete roof that would provide full storm protection as well as support a water cistern for graywater and rainwater reuse. Please post any info you come across.

#13 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

Good question. 

Since my original posting of this question I have come across quite a few local younger architects (with their own practices) whose work I like very much.

This is by no means comprehensive but here are the ones I have had an eye on:

(in no particular order)

- Bart Shaw

- Phillip Newburn

- Brandon Allen

While these guys are probably in the 50-60 year old range (not that it matters), I really like much of the work I've seen from:

(also in no order)

- Joe Self, Firm 817

- Norman Ward

- Greg Ibanez

Regarding companies that can build with concrete, I have not seen any residential contractors who have so you will likely be talking with the architects to find a like-minded contractor who has commercial subcontractors who know how to work in either cast in place concrete or concrete masonry units. 

A couple of firms come to mind that seem to welcome interesting and challenging designs: 

- Ferrier Homes (mentioned above)

- V Fine Homes (have done some modern stuff mixed in with their more typical classical houses)

Please show us what you wind up building!

cheers

#14 BobZupcic

BobZupcic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

I think Jason Eggenberger and Steven Halliday from 97W are about as good as it gets around here.  I think there designs and fresh and modern and they have a genuine passion for creating unique things with an urban sensitivity.  They operate out of the Near Southside - www.studio97w.com

#15 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:05 PM

Does anyone have an estimate on how much one of these firms may charge for single residential homes?

#16 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

We use Rick Garza RPGA group. Loved the process and his ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users