#1 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:54 AM

IPB Image

Well, despite the fact that I was the only member of Team West and Clear that was able to attend last night's Brave Combo Christmas Dance Party at the McDavid Studio downtown, it was still an absolute blast. Though I've long been a big Brave Combo fan, I'd never been to a live show, and my lovely companion hadn't been to see them live since the Caravan of Dreams closed, so we were both overdue.

As expected, the band didn't disappoint. This was a wild & loud three-hour smash of their polka/ska/samba/tango/whatever else they feel like music (in a lovely venue) where the drinks flowed and the dance floors roared. A grand time was had by all, says I. The setlist featured a large number of tunes from the album It's Christmas, Man! (and Brave Combo's Christmas tunes are among the very best - where else would you get a samba version of "O Christmas Tree" or a ska version of "The Christmas Song?"), but there was also a great selection from their new Grammy-nominated album Polka's Revenge (which is fantastic), along with a smattering of older tracks. I was particularly enthused to get to hear live the classic "Do Something Different" from A Night On Earth.

I also played photojournalist, and grabbed several shots of the band in action. For your viewing pleasure, here they are.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#2 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:33 AM

Turns out the band liked my photos so much, they contacted me about putting them on their web site. They even linked back to Fort Worthology:

Thanks, y'all!

--

Kara B.

#3 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:49 AM

Man, it's so weird to me how old Carl has gotten. For some reason, I could kinda expect Jeffrey to age, and I don't know what became of Bubba, but I remember Carl being irreverent and brash in that way that only young men and women can pull off. He looks so different; I haven't changed. (H/T Joe Walsh.)

It's also funny to me to think of "Do Something Different" as classic. I remember when that came out. smile.gif

#4 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

...makes me a litte nostalgic for Jims Diner.

#5 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

I have to mention what a great job somebody did matching the McDavid sign to the building. Outstanding!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users