• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:57 AM

While not an architect, I admire imaginative building designs.  Would the design of the planned police association building be a competitive entry in the annual AIA awards?

http://i.imgur.com/g9cI9Gt.jpg

#2 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Was not aware that the Police Association was planning such a facility.

IF the Police Association were planning to construct such a facility where are they getting funding for such a grand structure ?  From Police Employees Union Dues ?  IF so we are paying the Police too much tax payer money ?

IF the Police Association are paying for this photoed facility... then let them do so with NO SOURCED DERIVED City Tax Payers money.  NO tax payer money.

The photo looks like a ' Structural Monument'.  Structural Form does not appear to satisfy function.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:31 PM

I'm saying this in the nicest way possible:

1. Look around the forum. We've discussed this building on multiple occasions.
2. You're smarter than that post makes you look. Do you really think that is being built with public money?

Edit: You even posted in %#*& thread: http://www.fortworth...5861#entry90392

#4 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:15 PM

Agreed.  I wrote a simple observation that " it looks like a CADD night time rendering" .

IF "Would the design of the planned police association building be a competitive entry in the annual AIA awards?" IF a planned facility for the Police Association supporting the Fort Worth City Police... then my comment stands as written.

You will also note the comment author did not state which city location.  Might be my error,  Might be Kansas City.    I thought they certainly were not talking about a facility supporting FORT WORTH City police employees.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#5 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

Ugh.  Get over it.

My blog: Doohickie

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:47 PM

You will also note the comment author did not state which city location.  Might be my error,  Might be Kansas City.   

You might find my map of urban development map handy https://www.google.c...aY.kcJvHwXl0p68

#7 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:31 AM

The section here is titled "Fort Worth Architecture."  I assumed that a photo of a building in this section would be identified as being in Fort Worth.

As I am one of those picky people about putting relevant things where they belong (ugh! the plight of being a lawyer!), I thought I would replace a completely irrelevant post (you remember, "The Texas Law Hawk," that has absolutely nothing to do with architecture...please, no offense intended to the author who originally put it in that section) with something actually having to do with architecture.

But there was a grain of relevancy in one of the posts (#4) above suggesting this design wouldn't be a hit with the AIA.  I think it's a beautiful design.

#8 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the map link.  That helps to put the building in geographical perspective.

Large frontal area glass.  Provides a great deal of prime day light into the core of the building.  Saves electricity but there a lot of designed future maintenance... window cleaning and washing for the remainder future of the building.  Interior HVAC load might be a concern. I guess that is a covered HVAC roof structure.  I suspect the extensive use of glass adds to the sense of organizational business transparency.

Looks like the new building is located near 10th and Ballinger Street just South of West 7th in downtown Fort Worth, Texas.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#9 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:21 AM

I think they said the building will also be available for outside events.

My blog: Doohickie

#10 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:37 AM

They did.  The article that John links to in Post 2 of the other thread states that they will be renting out office space, and the roof and a meeting room will be available to rent.

#11 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

Regarding the Police using public funds for their buildings, I dont know what sources they are using. 

The Police Department in Fort Worth draws an extraordinary amount of local funding.  Every few years the Crime Control and Prevention District comes up for vote.  And Fort Worth citizens keep voting to continue it. 

Fort Worth dedicates our extra sales tax revenue to the FW Police Department.  Other cities dedicate that money to other things like creating new parks, commuter and light rail, etc.  I understand Dallas and other DART member cities dedicates that extra sales tax money toward building out a rail transit network, which is why they have a huge lead over Fort Worth in building commuter rail lines, including to DFW Airport.  

Oklahoma City uses their extra Sales Tax dollars to fund an impressive and ambitious program called MAPS  https://en.wikipedia...a_Projects_Plan

that funds capital improvements that make OKC more competitive and improve quality of life. 

So how do cities such as OKC and Dallas somehow keep from starving their police departments, and how should Fort Worth gradually or abruptly end the FWPD's addiction to taking Fort Worth's extra sales tax dollars?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users