#51 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Web Development, Linux, History, Antiques

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (Giraffe @ Oct 22 2009, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While thumbing through an old photo album the other night, I ran across this photograph of the sign for the Wedgwood Theatre. You can see it for yourself here:

http://s609.photobuc...TheaterSign.jpg

It's amazing, but I don't remember that Safeway at all! I lived up Trail Lake from that center from age 3 until today, and worked at the Minyard's Grocery (across the parking lot) in the mid-70s. There was a Lone Star Donuts in that center that had a sign that said "Try our LSD". That got a laugh from us Southwest High kids.

#52 stevee

stevee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

I grew up in Bedford and visited the Tower during the early to mid 60's. With my family I remember seeing : Shenandoah, The 7 Faces Of Dr. Lao, Spencers Mountain and The Brass Bottle. Without my parents I saw : Spartacus, The Vikings, A Hard Days Night, Dracula Has Risen From The Grave, The Horror Of Dracula and Dr. Terror's House of Horrors. I'm sure there were more but those stand out still after all these years. I remember eating at the new Jack In The Box with my parents next to the Tower and being rather amused at the "secret sauce" hype at the time.

My family and I went to the grand opening of Richland Plaza, it was on a Saturday night I believe, I remember the Wilburn Brothers were there though I don't remember seeing them but I will never forget seeing Johnny Weissmuller at Montgomery Wards Posted Image he was dressed in a suit and looked in pretty good shape. He was shaking peoples hands but I never got close enough for a handshake. When the Cinema opened at Richland Plaza we started going there since it was closer than the Tower was, there I saw : Blue Hawaii, Viva Las Vegas, Help, Puss & Boots, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, A Boy 10 Feet Tall, and a few other stinkers I forget. The last time I went there was back in the 80's and saw Poltergeist with a few friends.

The next theater to open close to home (and within easy walking distance) was the Bellaire, there I saw : The Ghost And Mr. Chicken, The Clown, Planet Of The Apes, Fantastic Voyage, Spinout, The Blue Max, Kelly Heroes, Munster Go Home, The Jungle Book, and a lot more I don't remember because I was too busy chasing girls. The last time I was there in the 80's I saw Pee Wee's Big Adventure with my daughter, it was cheap to get in but the theater was still in good shape, very good audience I remember we all laughed a lot.

I visited the Haltom only one time that I remember, my mom dropped me off, I think I was with my sisters I saw the movie "Atragon" I remember that was the first time the subject of a time paradox ever entered my mind. In the film the scientists are slowed down in time to where they appear to not move. I thought that was cool.

#53 gaspergou

gaspergou

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

Tower theatre 1960's....A 60's Tarzan movie with the star answering questions after the movie on stage like was he scared swinging over the hot vat of boiling oil.....Buster Crabb was it>>>or Buster something. Blue Hawaii, Fall of the House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulim, Swiss Family Robinson, .......went almost every Fri. night and sometimes Sat. ...got a special discount card when you turned 12..........Cannot seem to find a pic. of the Tower at 6 points anywhere !! Someone post a pic. of the Tower and some of Riverside Elementary, please.

#54 wrccpa

wrccpa

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

We went to several of the theaters but i remember seeing "Night of the Living Dead" at the Twin Drive-in off Lancaster. I saw " The Sting" and "American Graffiti" at the Palace Theater on 7th. I saw "Die Monster Die" at the Gateway Theater on Lancaster.

#55 cincyvid

cincyvid

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

This is going back a ways: Ridglea Theatre: Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1957?)
TCU theatre: saw Jock Mahoney live on stage before a Tarzan movie..also Burl Ives and Tony Randall at a Saturday showing of "The Brass Bottle", the precursor to I Dream Of Jeannie. We also saw Ben Hur at the TCU. Back then they had beautiful printed souvenir programs for those epic movies with intermissions.
I saw A Hard Day's Night at the Worth. ( I still have my "program" from that one)
And I loved the 7th Street with the Carnation Ice Cream parlor right across the street.
Oh, and the Tower: I saw Invaders From Mars, and was so scared, I slept with the covers over my head for a couple of years.

#56 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (cincyvid @ Jul 27 2010, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is going back a ways: Ridglea Theatre: Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1957?)
TCU theatre: saw Jock Mahoney live on stage before a Tarzan movie..also Burl Ives and Tony Randall at a Saturday showing of "The Brass Bottle", the precursor to I Dream Of Jeannie. We also saw Ben Hur at the TCU. Back then they had beautiful printed souvenir programs for those epic movies with intermissions.
I saw A Hard Day's Night at the Worth. ( I still have my "program" from that one)
And I loved the 7th Street with the Carnation Ice Cream parlor right across the street.
Oh, and the Tower: I saw Invaders From Mars, and was so scared, I slept with the covers over my head for a couple of years.

Coincidentally, the _Star-Telegram_ had a story about the latest goings-on with the Ridglea Theater, and it quoted our moderator, John Roberts! [A few years ago, there was a "Laser Magic" program in place at the old Ridglea, and I knew the people who ran that. I don't think it was successful, in the long run. The equipment and personnel used to be from "Laser Magic" in the old Noble Planetarium at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History. They gave me tour of the projection room once and the old projectors were still in place at the time.]

In our family album we still have the program from the initial release of _2001: A Space Odyssey_. I probably wasn't even born when my family went to see this. My father wrote in the album: "It was a beautiful movie, but it didn't make a whole lot of sense." [I think my family was still living in Huntsville, Alabama at the time -- 1968 or so.]

#57 Jim444

Jim444

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE (Giraffe @ Nov 16 2008, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every movie theater I went to as a kid in Fort Worth has since closed and/or been remodeled beyond all recognition. I'm curious what films everyone remembers seeing in which particular theater, all over town. These were INDOOR theaters...

* Wedgwood (on Trail Lake Drive, south of Loop 820) -- Single screen, opened in early 1960s. I remember seeing _Fantasia_, _Logan's Run_, Disney's animated _Robin Hood_, the '76 remake of _King Kong_, _Tron_, _The Villain_, _Taps_, etc. They used to have a big electric sign out in the parking lot, with stick-on letters to advertise the films, because the theater itself was way over on the other end of the shopping center and you plain couldn't see it from Trail Lake. That sign was removed long ago (it had this sequential red neon arrow pointing people into the parking lot). By the 1980s the theater was split in half and became a twin screen, and they were renting VHS tapes to folks out of the lobby. Eventually it became a four-screen dollar theater (my retired parents used to go there often, Mom smuggling in popcorn in her purse). Finally it closed for good. It was some sort of nightclub for a while, and is now a church. I think the last film I ever saw in the Wedgwood was the digitally enhanced _Empire Strikes Back_. A 1980 Southwest High School yearbook says they once showed _The Rocky Horror Picture Show_ at midnight as a fundraiser for the school band. I think my brother may have gone here in the early '70s to see _The Sting_ and _Jaws_.

* Seminary South. Three screens. Outparcel building, out in the parking lot of the Seminary South Shopping Center. Affiliated with General Cinema and each film used an entertaining opening promo for "GC" with a really kickin' snare drum instrumental. My brother and sister and I always went here to see Disney's _The Jungle Book_ each time it was re-released, and we always bought a box of lemon drops at the concession stand. Today it's a bingo parlor.

* The Opera House. Single screen. I saw the original _Star Wars_ and _Annie_ here. Not sure when it closed. Is the building still there? Has it been remodeled or demolished?

* Western Hills 4. Watched the remake of _Flash Gordon_ and the animated _Lord of the Rings_ here, and didn't like either film. I was quite young at the time and didn't go to this theater very much, and I have no idea when it closed or what's there now. I don't know if I could even find it again. smile.gif

* Cineworld 4. Felix Street and I-35, in the middle of a shopping center building. I watched _9 to 5_ and _A Boy Named Charlie Brown_ here. I saw my first science-fiction double feature here: the original _War of the Worlds_ and _When Worlds Collide_. (Watch them back to back on video now and you still won't be disappointed!) Today it's a Dollar General store.

* New Isis. I never went to this theater, but I always saw it in the movie ads. This was in a totally different part of town from where I lived. Not long ago I was chatting with a clerk in a county government office and she mentioned that she used to go to the New Isis quite often when she was a little girl. When I asked her if she remembered any particular films she saw there, she had a ready, blushing response: "_Viva Las Vegas_!" Anyone have information on what this theater is being used for today?

* Ridglea. I keep confusing this theater with something else in my mind, so I may be mistaken. It was on Camp Bowie Blvd. It may have been here where I saw the original _Superman_, _Close Encounters of the Third Kind_, _Empire Strikes Back_, and _Star Trek: The Motion Picture_. (Incredibly, I did NOT like each of these films when I first saw them -- and they were always shown in the same theater.)

* Hulen 6. Behind Hulen Mall. I saw a couple of dozen great films there as a kid: _E.T._, _Raiders of the Lost Ark_, _The Muppet Movie_, _Return of the Jedi_, etc. My sister worked in the concession stand for a couple of years. I know they showed _Blazing Saddles_ there as a re-release. The last film I ever saw there was _Apollo 13_ the night it premiered, and there was a HOLE in the screen the size of a basketball. I think this theater was later expanded to 10 screens, but there was another 10-screen theater less than a mile down the road. The Hulen 6 closed (did the mall build a new theater in the mall itself? I haven't been inside Hulen Mall in ages) and the last time I saw it, it appeared to be undergoing some sort of renovation.

In reading other posts, I've been surprised to learn of several movie theaters that came and went long, long ago. I hadn't known that there once was a theater in the Westcliff Shopping Center. I'd like to hear other folks' memories of indoor movie theaters around Fort Worth over the stretch of time. What movies do you remember seeing there?

Wow, the memories here! Before I begin mine, I have a question concerning a closed theater. I've heard for years and years that a theater in downtown Fort Worth, after closing, was allowed to stand but eventually had buildings erected around it and was eventually closed off from public site, unable to be seen from the street. Does this ring a bell? I was thinking maybe it was The Worth or The Hollywood.

As for the movies I saw and where:
The Wedgewood: I saw a ton of movies there, including The Sting, The Towering Inferno, TRON, The Villain, Escape From Alcatraz, Arthur, Pale Rider, The Warriors (there were tales of fights breaking out in various theaters across the US during the run of this movie. I don't know how much was hype and how much was true, but my friend and I encountered a drunk guy and his two buddies. He was slamming the back of the seats on his way out, cussing and acting like he'd lost something. We ignored him and continued watching the movie). I think my best memory is a midnight showing of Night of the Living Dead. This was before the days of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and the whole audience participated in commentary with the movie. Great experience!

The Bowie: Only saw one movie here and that was The Enforcer starring Clint Eastwood. This was in 1976 I think and the theater was already becoming a bit run-down.

Seminary South: Jaws (great experience with the audience jumping), Murder by Death, Funny Lady, Grease, Poltergeist, The Cat People, Superman II, The Toy (yes, I cop to paying for this one), Norma Rae, The Rose, Southern Comfort, The Shining, Rocky III, and many more I've forgotten.

Western Hills 4: The animated Lord of the Rings, The In-Laws (the original with Alan Arkin & Peter Falk), Superman, The Muppet Movie.

The 7th Street: Flashdance, Midnight Express, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Donald Sutherland version), The Jerk.

Cineworld: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, That's the Way of the World, Apocalypse Now, Return of the Pink Panther, The Way We Were.

The Opera House: Star Wars (with a beautiful souvenir magazine that I seem to have lost), Dune, The Black Hole, Superman III (yeah, I paid to see this for some reason also) and Animal House. The seats were so comfortable that I feel asleep during The Black Hole (I found it a big boring, too, but like it better now).

The Ridglea: By far my favorite cinema of all-time. Scores of movies seen there included The Poseidon Adventure, Marathon Man, The Missouri Breaks, The Omen, The Empire Strikes Back (sitting in the balcony, with the wall-mounted speakers nearby, I felt like I was IN the movie), Star Trek III: The Search For Spock, Batman, Crossroads (with Ralph Macchio, NOT Britney Spears!), Three Men and a Baby, etc. etc. I went after they chopped the theater into three screens and it was a terrible experience. I knew the Ridglea I had loved was gone. Whatever they do with it, I hope they preserve the building at least.

Hulen 6: So many seen there, including An American Werewolf in London, Excalibur, Return of the Jedi, Ragtime, Rocky IV, Dragonslayer, Big Trouble in Little China, Halloween II, The Long Riders, Tom Horn, etc. etc.

The first indoor cinema I ever went to was in Burleson, where I now live. I believe it was called The Burleson Twin but I could be wrong. The first indoor movie I ever saw was there and it was Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. Also saw Live and Let Die, Deliverance, Werewolf of Washington (anbody ever heard of that one?), The Cowboys (I had never seen John Wayne die in a movie till this one and walked out stunned), Smokey and the Bandit, Young Frankenstein, E.T., and Star Wars on its first re-release. The building is still there and is now a church.

I also went a few times to The Esquire in Cleburne. By that time, the theater was starting to run down a bit. My brother-in-law's brother happened to run it for a while. I saw Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Cannonball Run II, Body Heat, and The Road Warrior there.

I've been to various theaters around the Metroplex during the years, but forget exactly the names. I know I've been to the Six Flags Mall cinema, the North Hills Mall theater, and various multiplexes like The UA Bowen, the one by Toys 'R Us near Cherry Lane that I totally forget the name of, the General Cinema near Ridgmar Mall, just down the street from Best Buy. That's all I can remember at this hour. Once again, great thread!

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,752 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

Jim, I think you are referring to the Hollywood Theater, which was built in 1930. It was one of the last buildings built on that block. The only other construction projects occurring after the theater were the two Star-Telegram expansions in 1940 and 1948. In 1970, the paper expanded across 6th Street with a bridge and an addition into the next block. After the theater closed, the First National Bank leveled the floor and utilized the theater space as a part of their banking operations. In 1996, everything was removed below the bottom of the balcony and the space has been used for parking for the apartments inside the Historic Electric Building. The lobby of the theater is being leased by an architectural firm. There is quite a bit of the theater still intact inside.

#59 Jim444

Jim444

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:08 AM

Jim, I think you are referring to the Hollywood Theater, which was built in 1930. It was one of the last buildings built on that block. The only other construction projects occurring after the theater were the two Star-Telegram expansions in 1940 and 1948. In 1970, the paper expanded across 6th Street with a bridge and an addition into the next block. After the theater closed, the First National Bank leveled the floor and utilized the theater space as a part of their banking operations. In 1996, everything was removed below the bottom of the balcony and the space has been used for parking for the apartments inside the Historic Electric Building. The lobby of the theater is being leased by an architectural firm. There is quite a bit of the theater still intact inside.

Thanks for that info, John! Very cool to know. And wasn't the Hollywood and the Worth just a few door down from each other? If so, wasn't that unique for the time period?

#60 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:40 AM

I remember both being just several doors down.

#61 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,752 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

The Worth was in the next block to the east. If any of you remember, the Worth Theater's auditorium sat behind the Worth Hotel, with it's facades visible along Taylor and 6th Streets. The theater also had an alley facade between it and the Fort Worth Club Building. Like the Hollywood, the theater of the lobby extended through the adjacent building, which was the Worth Hotel. The entrances to both the hotel and the theater were on W. 7th Street.

#62 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

I remember many of the old movie palaces. The Worth and the Hollywood were almost cheek by jowl, and three blocks to the east of the Worth on 7th was the Palace. These were the grand downtown theatres, but the suburban ones (7th Street, Bowie, Ridglea, etc.) were nice, too--miss 'em all.

#63 Jim444

Jim444

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

I remember many of the old movie palaces. The Worth and the Hollywood were almost cheek by jowl, and three blocks to the east of the Worth on 7th was the Palace. These were the grand downtown theatres, but the suburban ones (7th Street, Bowie, Ridglea, etc.) were nice, too--miss 'em all.

I talked to my Dad today and was asking him about all these theaters, which he remembered well. He used to live on Jennings and said he would walk downtown (at such a time when this was not particularly dangerous) with friends and see midnight movies. I was surprised because for some reason I thought midnight showings only came about in the late 60s or early 70s. Shows what I know.

He also said there was another theater in the area called The Majestic. Anybody remember this or heard of it?

#64 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

Yes; forgot to mention the Majestic.

#65 Jim444

Jim444

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

Yes; forgot to mention the Majestic.

Any idea where that was located?

#66 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,752 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

The Majestic is the only large downtown theater that I never had the chance to see on the inside. I was born in 1957, so when the buildings were demolished for the Convention Center, I was pretty young. I do remember the Majestic and where it stood in Downtown.

For historic photos of theaters, including a large series on the Majestic, visit the Jack White Collection of Historic Fort Worth Photographs at http://www.fortworth...tw.htm#Theaters

The photos are a part of this web site and are a way to allow more access to the public on these wonderful pictures of our history.

#67 Jim444

Jim444

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

The Majestic is the only large downtown theater that I never had the chance to see on the inside. I was born in 1957, so when the buildings were demolished for the Convention Center, I was pretty young. I do remember the Majestic and where it stood in Downtown.

For historic photos of theaters, including a large series on the Majestic, visit the Jack White Collection of Historic Fort Worth Photographs at http://www.fortworth...tw.htm#Theaters

The photos are a part of this web site and are a way to allow more access to the public on these wonderful pictures of our history.

Thanks, John! Appreciate it very much. :)

#68 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,752 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

You're welcome. By the way, there was no need to quote the previous posting. If you click the larger and darker "Add Reply" button at the top and bottom of each page, that will keep the response from containing a quote. Also, you can click and type in the Fast Reply box a quick response.

#69 Jim444

Jim444

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:01 AM

Gotcha. Thanks again, my friend.

#70 rollerdude

rollerdude

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

Even though it was not actually within the city limits of Ft. Worth (it was in Haltom City, I believe, hence the "Buffalo"), I still think Of The Belknap Theater as a Ft. Worth drive-in. To me it was an icon. I remember the "Buffalo kicking the football" most vividly as being the artwork on the back of the screen tower, but I do have a vague recollection of the pioneer wagon (maybe I just saw it as a reproduction). In what year was it changed? Does anyone know?

What a wonderful experience the drive-in was for me as a kid! I would lie down in the back seat of the family station wagon with my cousins and watch movies. I always made it through the first of a double feature and sometimes the first two of a triple feature, but I never made it through the third movie. A trip to the snack bar for a hot dog, popcorn, and a Coke on top of at least one feature film that had riveted my attention for two hours or more generally induced sleep. I remember one Saturday night when my mother took us to a quadruple feature of Clint Eastwood movies (I've been a fan ever since). The lineup was, in this order: A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS; FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE; THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY; and HANG 'EM HIGH. About ten minutes into THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY, I fell into a deep slumber. A simple night, a simpler time in my life, and one I'll always remember.

#71 rollerdude

rollerdude

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

Even though it was not actually within the city limits of Ft. Worth (it was in Haltom City, I believe, hence the "Buffalo"), I still think Of The Belknap Theater as a Ft. Worth drive-in. To me it was an icon. I remember the "Buffalo kicking the football" most vividly as being the artwork on the back of the screen tower, but I do have a vague recollection of the pioneer wagon (maybe I just saw it as a reproduction). In what year was it changed? Does anyone know?

What a wonderful experience the drive-in was for me as a kid! I would lie down in the back seat of the family station wagon with my cousins and watch movies. I always made it through the first of a double feature and sometimes the first two of a triple feature, but I never made it through the third movie. A trip to the snack bar for a hot dog, popcorn, and a Coke on top of at least one feature film that had riveted my attention for two hours or more generally induced sleep. I remember one Saturday night when my mother took us to a quadruple feature of Clint Eastwood movies (I've been a fan ever since). The lineup was, in this order: A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS; FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE; THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY; and HANG 'EM HIGH. About ten minutes into THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY, I fell into a deep slumber. A simple night, a simpler time in my life, and one I'll always remember.

I meant to post this in the thread on DRIVE-IN theaters, but I clicked on the wrong one, apparently. Just discovered my error. Sorry.

#72 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

There's a terrific column in today's _Star-Telegram_ by a guy who's chock-full of memories about the old Ridglea Theater. You can read it here:

http://www.star-tele...ort-worths.html

#73 WCS59

WCS59

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:06 AM

Back in the 50's the Ridglea would hold a special golf night coinciding with the Colonial Invitational tournament. The cartoon, short subjects, and feature film would all be golf-related, and golf accessories were given out as door prizes.

Another nice feature of the Ridglea was its "crying baby room" where the little screamers could be taken so as not to disturb the rest of the audience.

An even nicer feature were the hamburgers at Town Talk right next door.

There used to be a drive-in restaurant on the Weatherford traffic circle just west of the Bowie Boulevard Drive-In Theatre (was it the Corral?). I can remember eating hamburgers served by carhops while watching the movie out of the rear windshield of the family car (no sound, of course).

One of the earliest movies I remember seeing was "The Thing" at the Bowie around 1951. Scared the living daylights out of me.

#74 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

Forgive me if this has been covered here before (I'm not gonna re-read every post on this thread-sorry), but does anyone have any information on the Texan Theatre on Sylvania? This one gets pretty regularly overlooked; the building is still standing, but it's been a church for a long time (not sure about the forum rules for posting the church name or address). The building is on Sylvania a little north of 121. I found the listings for it in the Star-Telegram in the 30's awhile back & I was curious if anyone had any time-line info on the theatre. It's still a pretty cool building (or whats left of the original front facade anyway), & the "screen" exit doors in back were still intact & seemed to be in pretty original shape last time I looked. Does anyone recall this theatre?

#75 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,752 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

I don't recall the theater, but I do know where the building is located. I drive by there every once in a while.

#76 C essnaguy

C essnaguy

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

I don't recall the theater, but I do know where the building is located. I drive by there every once in a while.

#77 C essnaguy

C essnaguy

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:29 PM

This theater was the Morgan. Saw "The Outlaw" with Jane Russell there in 1946. This movie was directed by Howard Hughes and created quite a stir at the time it was released.

#78 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

how about in the 1920s, gayety theater 1501 main , lamar 7589, hippodrome theater 1106 main, lamar 2699 , isis theater 2403 n. main ,prospect 594 ,majestic theater 1101 commerce ,lamar 1456 ,orpheum theater 1511 main , lamar 6063, palace theater 7th and commerce ,lamar 7278, queen theater 1408 main ,lamar 8437 ,pershing theater 1111 main , lamar 53e80, rialto theater 601 main,lamar 9923, roseland theater 14238 n main ,prospect 1389.

#79 SWRebel

SWRebel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Showbiz

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

Forgive me if this has been covered here before (I'm not gonna re-read every post on this thread-sorry), but does anyone have any information on the Texan Theatre on Sylvania? This one gets pretty regularly overlooked; the building is still standing, but it's been a church for a long time (not sure about the forum rules for posting the church name or address). The building is on Sylvania a little north of 121. I found the listings for it in the Star-Telegram in the 30's awhile back & I was curious if anyone had any time-line info on the theatre. It's still a pretty cool building (or whats left of the original front facade anyway), & the "screen" exit doors in back were still intact & seemed to be in pretty original shape last time I looked. Does anyone recall this theatre?

Beginning in 1957, it was the home of the Fort Worth Community Theater.
Fort Worth Community Theater stayed there until 1966 when it moved to the William Edrington Scott Theater
"To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, ‘the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, & the fruits acquired by it.'"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users