• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:21 AM

the Fort Worth association of credit men - T E Blanchard - jersey -cream co. , S P Berry - state bank , Geo. Q. McGowan - adjustment bureau , Marcus M. Bright - Fort Worth state bank , W.M James - T R James & Co. , B. h. Lawrence - H W Williams & Co , W. M. Monnig - Monnig Dry Goods co. , Wellborn Patterson - The Bradstreet co. f. A. Martin -Hunt - Hawes Grocery co.

#2 qmcgown

qmcgown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

Larry- What is the date of the Credit Men's piece that you have? My great grandfather served as the Associations' lawyer and collector- "adjustor." He was well suited for the job having started his business career running a grocery store on the cattle trail in Wellington, Kansas. When the trail shut down, George Q., Sr. headed south and landed in Fort Worth, starting another grocery. I've never confirmed whether he started studying the law before or after he fell down an elevator shaft, but he apprenticed with early lawyers W.S. Essex and J.Y. Prigmore before obtaining his license and opening his own practice in 1896. His first clients were fellow retailers and wholesalers. It's fun to see his name crop up. Thanks for sharing. 

#3 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:51 PM

#4 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:08 PM

His telephone number was 408 - he offices in the Scott - Harrold Bldg. - so he had the 408 telephone in town

#5 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

I have his signature in 1892 , he was 32 years old and resided in the 6th ward , 524 Broadway ,I can't really tell the writing is not very good

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:20 PM

This has been interesting.  Larry, thanks for posting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users