• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chrisalan9

chrisalan9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:35 PM

I was driving through the Stockyards last Sat night and noticed at the end of West Exchange St where it turns to Niles City Blvd there is an old complex of some sort. There are at least (2) low rise buildings. The whole thing looks very spooky especially when your looking at it from NE 23rd street. Does anyone know what it was? The buildings look to be gutted.

#2 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE(chrisalan9 @ Mar 15 2006, 02:35 PM) View Post
The buildings look to be gutted.

Gutted. heh, heh... was that a pun?

The buildings are the remains of the old meatpacking plants. Swift and Armour both had facilities there. Lots of Fort Worth history in that area.

#3 chrisalan9

chrisalan9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(gdvanc @ Mar 15 2006, 02:51 PM)  

QUOTE(chrisalan9 @ Mar 15 2006, 02:35 PM)  
The buildings look to be gutted.

Gutted. heh, heh... was that a pun?

The buildings are the remains of the old meatpacking plants. Swift and Armour both had facilities there. Lots of Fort Worth history in that area.

Thanks for the info. That explains why the side on NE 23rd looks like it was a loading dock area.

#4 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

Yeah, they actually kept cows, horses and mules there for sale and trade before someone came up with the idea to make a tourist destination out of it. Those retail stalls are actually the old animal pens, and the big fenced-in stock yard and loading ramps used to be a stock yard and loading ramps. The bridge from the stock yard over the railroad and road to the killing floor has been removed, but I think the ramps are still there.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#5 hardcoregirl

hardcoregirl

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:25 AM

It's a complex of 7? buildings. After the fire, the city tore down 2 then decided it was too expensive. One building does have a ramp, but it's rotting. Another has a tree growing out of the roof. I have some great pics.

#6 chrisalan9

chrisalan9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE(hardcoregirl @ Mar 16 2006, 06:25 AM)  

It's a complex of 7? buildings. After the fire, the city tore down 2 then decided it was too expensive. One building does have a ramp, but it's rotting. Another has a tree growing out of the roof. I have some great pics.

I would love to see pics of the site. I found some online but I would love to see photos that show a larger area than the ones I saw.

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

The remains of the buildings are indeed the old Swift Meatpacking Plant. I thought there were more than 7 buildings originally. It could be that there are 7 buildings left. The old Swift Office Building was the Spaghetti Warehouse for many years and it recently went up for approval to the Landmarks Commission for renovations. There is a thread on the forum discussing the changes and what the commission ruled. I know that the Site Visit planned by the H&CLC is coming up soon.

For pictures of the old Swift and Armour plants, go to the Jack White Collection on this site. Here are two Swift Plant Photos:

IPB Image

IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users