- - - - -

Sylvania/Race/Riverside Urban Village?

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 renamerusk

renamerusk
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2004 - 05:21 PM

There is some new facade and architectural work going on now along the Riverside's Race Street. Looks like an interesting urban village is being born. Nice to see this part of town get a breathe of fresh air.
Also it sort of reconfirms my own strong beliefs that infilling and revitalizing Fort Worth's inner city neighborhoods is more satisfying and preferable to the LA-esq sprawl that we are partaking. It may be a political hot potato, but these close-in neighborhoods can be made to be upscale and desirable places to live if the will is there.

#2 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, Sailing, Exotic cars, Aviation, My family, Travel<br />My Personal website www.jasonmiller.com

Posted 02 January 2005 - 07:17 PM

Race street properties have been restoring the buildings along the north east edge of Race Street heading west. Justin (owner) has some wonderful ideas for the street. I own two buildings on the south west end of Race and am going to start renovation early 2005. I currently have another two buildings under contract to the east of mine and hopefully can close on them if we can attract enough new businesses to our part of town. One of my buildings is a restaurant with a current liquor license. I am looking for someone interested in opening a café style restaurant and would be willing to build to suit and work out VERY flexible lease deal for someone willing to take a chance on Race Street. Drive by in early March and see how the street is changing!
Let me help you with your Real Estate needs
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 January 2005 - 08:22 PM

It is good to hear that the whole area is beginning to be fixed up. Robert Bell, who recently purchased the McAdams Building at Belknap and Riverside has posted some information on his property on this forum, as well.

#4 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, Sailing, Exotic cars, Aviation, My family, Travel<br />My Personal website www.jasonmiller.com

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:59 PM

Just for fun, here are some of the building that are remodeled on Race street.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:28 PM

You have done a nice job with those structures. Do you have any history or information on them? I would like to add them to the Architecture in Fort Worth Web Site.

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:47 PM

Wow, great job with those buildings on Race St. I live just a few blocks away in Haltom City and didn't even know about these projects. I am getting on the bike and going for a tour in the (late) morning.

Pup

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:50 PM

I'm going to try to get by there soon to get photographs when the skies are clear and sunny.

#8 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 12:31 PM

Prairie Pup, Most people dont know about the restoration process on Race street. We are hoping to attract a resturaunt to 2812 race and a place called Fuzzy taco ( a kind of hip taco place) is moving into one of the buildings above. Please spread the word and support the businesses taking a chance and moving onto Race street. Who knows but in a couple years we could have a neat area with food and shopping.
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 12:50 PM

Fuzzy's over here on Berry Street & Cockrell in the TCU Area is one of my favorite restaurants. Congratulations on attracting them to the neighborhood. Pup, some of us used to hang out at Fuzzy's when it was a different type of restaurant.

#10 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 03:24 PM

Oh I know Fuzzy's well, I like the fish tacos, yum!

AND I used to eat breakfast occasionally at the Berry St. location years before Fuzzys moved in. I used to spend a lot of time on the weekends next door. Attracting Fuzzy's to Riverside is a cool coup, who knows, will live music follow?

Woof!

#11 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:37 PM

Hey all, just some pics of the latest remodel. Just finished today!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:06 PM

I just wanted to say that I drove by today and took a look. The street is beginning to develop its own urban feel. I would like to urge all of the forum members to drive (or ride their bikes) along Race Street from Sylvania to Riverside Dr./Belknap Street.

#13 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:02 PM

We drove down Race St. this weekend and were pleased to see changes being made. This is a relatively safe neighborhood and close to downtown, with access to 35W and 121. As a newcomer to this forum and to Fort Worth, the proximity to downtown and the unique mixture of Asian, White and Hispanic culture creates a very welcoming community. Even though I always feel safe in this area, the downside to this part of town is that it doesn’t have much curb appeal to attract those who would just assume drive another two miles downtown to spend money eating and shopping. Here are some of my suggestions for making Carter-Riverside neighborhood more appealing to both its residents and visitors:

1.) Revamp the small-business culture along Belknap east of downtown. I’m all for small business, but there are a number of businesses that have created a stereotypical run-down appearance along Belknap St. between 35W and Beach Street. Bail Bonds, tire repair and mechanic shops seem to be very common as do having bars over windows. More family focused restaurants, and small retail shops would appeal to people from other parts of Fort Worth, Haltom City and North Richland Hills.

a.) Hispanic Retail: The city should encourage more Hispanic small business owners to establish along Race St and Belknap. In South Minneapolis, some developers took a relatively run-down, but very busy block of decaying retail shops and built Mercado Central with very clean, attractive space for Hispanic small businesses. (http://www.citypages.../bestof2347.asp) A medium sized two level renovated building (perhaps one of D Jason Miller’s projects) would make an excellent scaled-down multi-tenant market on Race St. I think it is important that tenant selection includes artisans, clothing, specialty/import grocery, and small restaurants.

b) Community Garden: In another struggling part of south Minneapolis a community organization turned an old gas station into a community garden/coffee and tea shop. They did a top notch job revamping the small building and used the garage bays for the coffee shop with glass roll-up doors they open during the warm months. Its greater purpose wasn’t to make a lot of money selling plants and coffee, but to take away from the negative image that this neighborhood gained during the 80 and 90’s. There are a number of old garages along Belknap that would make an excellent hub for a community garden.

c) Asian Retail: Encourage further growth of Fort Worth and Haltom City’s Asian community along Belknap. Johnny mentioned this area in an earlier post, and also I encourage the growth of retail and restaurants in this area and think advertising to the downtown market for delivery and dining-in would help business. A large enough concentration of Asian retail would attract business from beyond Fort Worth as well as attract the interest of families looking to relocate to this area and promote the rehab of some affordable homes in these neighborhoods.

2) Encourage other businesses to use the “6 Points” theme to market their business. Most of the themed intersections I’ve seen (i.e. Seven Corners) are a cluster of restaurants or retail and most business owners use the theme, not necessarily for their trademark, but as a point of reference for the entire intersection. I'm not sure that the current neighbors to McAdams fit the mold for a themed urban space (i.e. bail bonds, convenience store and auto parts) but I think that 6 Points Centre could start a trend and hopefully his neighbors across Belknap will see the benefits to making changes of their own if not for increased business then out of embarrassment for the current condition of their property. The city will need to do their part to encourage parking and also safe crossing of Belknap and Riverside. Hopefully that will include relocating that stop light pole away from the front of McAdams. I drive through that intersection everyday and it makes me unsettled when I see the retail selection along Belknap and the apparent lack of interest from residents and the lack of foot traffic.

I would like to see a privately owned used CD/LP/book store go in the McAdams Building. Some of the other members have mentioned this in the their top ten downtown wish lists, but the size and location would be perfect and the owner of the shop could supplement his/her sales online if it is slow to start. A restaurant could certainly utilize the back lot for outdoor dining or parking as well.

3) Pedestrian/Bike friendly bridge: Perhaps I haven’t lived in Fort Worth long enough to find it, but is there a convenient and safe way to get across the river and railroad into downtown on foot or via bike other than 4th St or Belknap? Perhaps a pedestrian/bike only bridge would allow safe travel to and from downtown. I think that those living downtown would support this as well because it would allow access to the bike trails along the east side of the river and promote Race St and Belknap’s future development. The Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis is a great example of what I have in mind. http://www.fhwa.dot....es/stonarch.jpg There are definitely some areas in Fort Worth that I wouldn’t feel safe biking until I see some more development. Can anyone suggest a safe bike route starting from the Oakhurst/Carter-Riverside area into downtown?

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:42 PM

For some reason, I didn't catch your question about a safe bike route into downtown. The low water crossing/dam just south of 4th Street is the way to get on the downtown side of the river. There is a way there to get into downtown without going on a street. That is to go north (right) on the trail. This will take you into downtown, but you will have to cross the river two more times before you get there. Even though this doesn't put you on city streets, it will add approximately nine miles to your trip (round trip). If you go down E. 4th, that round trip from the river is only 2.5 miles. I have ridden down E. 4th many times on the weekends, and I consider it the safest and shortest route from downtown to Riverside.

#15 SouthSideAllan2000

SouthSideAllan2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:18 PM

I used to drive to Silvania occasionally to drop off my sister at work and would always look at Race Street and fantasize about the possibilities. Also the realtor that I used when I bought my house last August is at Race Street, the building with the small tower. That's how I noticed the renovations and loved it. That street has great potential. I do have to say that the realtor's office always locked their door even during daylight business hours, they said because of the homeless or the like. But I think it's because there aren't too many businesses or activities going on so it looked a bit deserted. I thought about a Race Street Festival, like the Fry Street Fest or the Festival that was held on Magnolia a few years back. That festival was great because there wasn't tons of people which made it very peaceful and intimate just great music, art, reasonably priced crafts and art for sale and open restaurants near by(BJ Keefer's, etc.). I also think Race Street has a nice ring to it. I hope in the near future to be able to come and hang out on Race Street for lunch or an evening of entertainment.

Allan

#16 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 12:11 PM

Greetings,,

Update on the Race street restoration. Great news. All of the south side vacant buildings will be restored by the end of summer. Fuzzys will be moving into the old post office soon as well as a title company. On the north side of the street I have purchased the large green building and the old costume shop. I hope to have them restored and a new parking lot poured between them.

A custom chopper shop called Liners moved into my building at 2812.

I have had (and still am) a nightmare with the city getting a CO. The building passed all CO inspections when I purchased it and then failed all the SAME inspections when Liners attempted their CO. I have fixed all the problems and they still wont give us the CO. The last hang up is the city wanting proof of the previous use of the building. I explained that it has been vacant for many years and they are requesting I prove that! I cant prove it so they wont issue the CO.

Simply put!
Would the city prefer race street be full of vacant run down buildings used for crack houses homeless or have legitimate business there. I have requested help from our city councelman and the surrounding business owners and we are trying to get someone at the city to actually help us attract businesses to the area so that we can gnerate the funds to continue the restoration. Sorry about the soap box but this can be very frustrating!

I will add some pics today as well..

Thanks for supporting Race street,

Jason
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#17 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 12:23 PM

Here is a before and after of 2812 Race street, now called Liners!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#18 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 12:57 PM

Here is the large green building. It has 3750 square feet of retail on the first floor and 3750 square feet of offices on the second.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#19 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:04 PM

Last but not least is the horrbile looking costume shop! I cant wait to begin restoration of this building. It was once probably beautiful with the tile front and wooden awning that was removed years ago.

These are the last pics///

Posted Image
Posted Image
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#20 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:21 PM

Race street properties have been restoring the buildings along the north east edge of Race Street heading west. Justin (owner) has some wonderful ideas for the street. I own two buildings on the south west end of Race and am going to start renovation early 2005. I currently have another two buildings under contract to the east of mine and hopefully can close on them if we can attract enough new businesses to our part of town.  One of my buildings is a restaurant with a current liquor license. I am looking for someone interested in opening a café style restaurant and would be willing to build to suit and work out VERY flexible lease deal for someone willing to take a chance on Race Street. Drive by in early March and see how the street is changing!

whats your quote on these units? Need a 2500-4000 sqfter. Would you like an "Authentic Mexican" restaurant that makes waaay better fish tacos than Fuzzy's. Tacos period. The Cabo style kind IS NOT not deep fried. Lived/worked in L.A. area restaurants some time ago(So I know Cabo style), and if you are looking for a winner of a restaurant, give me an email.

what part of town again?
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#21 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:06 PM

Race street properties have been restoring the buildings along the north east edge of Race Street heading west. Justin (owner) has some wonderful ideas for the street. I own two buildings on the south west end of Race and am going to start renovation early 2005. I currently have another two buildings under contract to the east of mine and hopefully can close on them if we can attract enough new businesses to our part of town.  One of my buildings is a restaurant with a current liquor license. I am looking for someone interested in opening a café style restaurant and would be willing to build to suit and work out VERY flexible lease deal for someone willing to take a chance on Race Street. Drive by in early March and see how the street is changing!

whats your quote on these units? Need a 2500-4000 sqfter. Would you like an "Authentic Mexican" restaurant that makes waaay better fish tacos than Fuzzy's. Tacos period. The Cabo style kind IS NOT not deep fried. Lived/worked in L.A. area restaurants some time ago(So I know Cabo style), and if you are looking for a winner of a restaurant, give me an email.

what part of town again?

Safly,

I would be very flexible with you. Me and the other building owners are trying hard to attract businesses to this area. I can sit down and tell you about the future of the area with wireless internet, the trolly coming from downtown three times a day starting this summer, The three story condominiums being built less than 100 yards from this location and so on. My phone number is 817-437-7878. The location is on Race street, one block north of Belknap in the Riverside area of Fort Worth (2 miles north east of downtown) Join us and together we can conquer the universe!

Jason
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#22 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:34 PM

DAHN DAHN DAHN DAH DAH DAHN DAH DAH DAHN! EEEHHH! HHHHAAAAH! EEEHHH! HHHHAAAAAH!

I can sit down and tell you about the future of the area with wireless internet, the trolly coming from downtown three times a day starting this summer, The three story condominiums being built less than 100 yards from this location and ...

Like what I hear so far.

My agents will contact you after Monday, have a GREAT MEMORIAL WEEKEND!
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#23 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:21 PM

Interview with Re-Developer of Race Street in Riverside:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Wed, Jul. 13, 2005

Riverside area getting new life

By John Gutierrez-Mier
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH - Justin McWilliams has grand plans for Race Street, a once-thriving Riverside business district.

He envisions an area similar to Lower Greenville Avenue in Dallas -- a mix of restaurants, galleries, coffee shops and office space supported by a local clientele, including nearby residents.

He appears to be well on his way.

Buildings that were once drab now sport vibrant reds oranges and blues. The sidewalks have several fountains offering pedestrians a place to sit and rest.

Artists from Dallas have opened Glass Peace, where they sell a variety of hand-blown glassware and sculptures. Plans are also in the works for a beauty salon and spa and a second location of Fuzzy's Taco Shop.

John Capell, one of several artists who invested in Glass Peace, said the space is "perfect."

"We have a location in The Cedars just south of Deep Ellum, but there's a lot of crime there," Capell said. "We'll be moving part of our studio here. It seems like a lot of good things are happening in Fort Worth."

Once in the heart of Riverside's business district, Race Street began declining years ago. Because McWilliams knew the area well -- his mother attended Carter-Riverside High School -- he saw potential.

Three years ago, McWilliams, who grew up in nearby North Richland Hills, began buying property from the 2700 block to the 3100 block of Race Street.

"We've done things a little different," McWilliams said. "It's becoming a very eclectic neighborhood."

District 2 Councilman Sal Espino, who represents part of Riverside, is opening a second office at 3009 Race St.

"It's exciting to see offices and retail space move in along Race Street," said Espino, who applauded McWilliams for investing his own money in the project rather than asking the city to foot some of the bill.

The developer hopes the project will breathe new life into Riverside, where residents take pride in their tree-covered neighborhoods that sit near the banks of the Trinity River.

"Riverside tends to be a very overlooked part of the city," said Rick Herring, a past president of the Riverside Alliance, a coalition of several neighborhood associations.

Early settlers began arriving in the area in the mid-1800s, Herring said. Eventually, Riverside became its own municipality, until 1922, when it was annexed by Fort Worth.

Louise Leslie, 87, was born and raised in Riverside. She remembers the hustle and bustle of the Six Points area where Race Street begins.

"There was a bank and grocery stores," said Leslie, who has been active in the Riverside Alliance for the past 10 years. "I know about the improvements, and I think it's a good thing for Riverside."

Maribel Saldivar, who owns Universal Realty and offices in one of the renovated buildings, remembers a haunted house that regularly rented space during Halloween. She said the area used to be "scary."

But now she has been swept up by the changes.

She owns a large meeting space near her office that hosted the governor of the Mexican state of Zacatecas and more than 500 guests this spring.

"It has a rustic theme to it and can hold about 800 people," said Saldivar, who rents her space for weddings, off-campus meetings and other celebrations. "It [McWilliams' vision] is going to work."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Gutierrez-Mier, (817) 390-7155 jmier@star-telegram.com

#24 1849

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:58 AM

Here is a link to the website for the new development in the Riverside area: urbanRIVERSIDE

There will be more info coming soon on what is going on in this area.

#25 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:41 AM

Welcome to the Forum.

#26 redzeep

redzeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate

Posted 29 September 2005 - 10:05 AM

Here is a link to the website for the new development in the Riverside area: urbanRIVERSIDE

There will be more info coming soon on what is going on in this area.

Keep up the good work !!!

#27 1849

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:43 PM

I also wanted to mention another website for the area: HistoricRiverside.com

I failed to mention the HR website in my post on this thread.

Other exciting news to go with this link is that Historic Riverside will have its own office in about a week located at 2806 Race Street S300. The 250sq/ft office was graciously donated by Daniel Miller Investments, better known as 'DJASONMILLER' who can be found at DMInvestments.net. Thank you for the office Jason!!

#28 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(1849 @ Oct 5 2005, 02:43 PM)  

I also wanted to mention another website for the area: HistoricRiverside.com

I failed to mention the HR website in my post on this thread.

Other exciting news to go with this link is that Historic Riverside will have its own office in about a week located at 2806 Race Street S300. The 250sq/ft office was graciously donated by Daniel Miller Investments, better known as 'DJASONMILLER' who can be found at DMInvestments.net. Thank you for the office Jason!!

No problem Graham, we are all proud of what you are doing to help get the word out about Riverside!
By the way, welcome to the forum!

Hey All,

Please accept my appologies for "spam" but I need some help!
This is my newest aquisition and its just undergone a compelte restoration.

I need help getting it leased. Race street is coming along nicely but Justin and i cant seem to get any locals into our buildings. This building has 3000 square feet per floor and can be divisible down to 400 square feet. I need to get it leased soon so I can continue with other buildings.

We have a lot of support from the local community who wants to see the area fixed up but I need them to support us financially by located their business in our buildings.. Comon Move to Race steet!!!

Thanks for the time. Know some pics smile.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image

The address is 2807 Race street, drive by and check it out.
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#29 redzeep

redzeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:54 PM

What happened to urbanRIVERSIDE.com ?

Is it coming back?

#30 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:16 PM

Good news! After months of marketing and stressing to lease my building, Race street software is moving into 2806 Race. They do web applications and programming. Yippeeee

No if I can get safly to put a restaurant in 2812!!!!!!!!!

PS Italy Pasta and Pizza will hopefully be open in 60 days at the McAdams building!
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#31 fwpcman

fwpcman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Postcard Collecting, Fort Worth History

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:01 PM

I'm fifty something and grew up in that area. Does anybody remember the 'Swanky Shack' at Sylvania and Race Streets? It was a cool place to go eat back in the 60s.

#32 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(fwpcman @ Apr 10 2006, 04:01 PM)  

I'm fifty something and grew up in that area. Does anybody remember the 'Swanky Shack' at Sylvania and Race Streets? It was a cool place to go eat back in the 60s.

The swanky shack is actually coming back..... it should be open early June
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#33 fwpcman

fwpcman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Postcard Collecting, Fort Worth History

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:04 PM

I'll be there.

#34 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:50 AM

Howdy! New to the forum and a recent implant to the Riverside area. I drove down Race St. yesterday evening and wanted to give props to the work that's been done to restore the buildings along that area of Six Points. Great job and keep up the good work!
I also noticed a "Coming Soon" sign for Fuzzy Tacos on one of the buildings. Big fan of their crispy shrimp tacos! Any idea on when this location will be opening up? And any updates on the other projects in the area, such as the pizza joint in the McAdams building?

Thanks in advance,

Holden

#35 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:09 AM

I loved the pictues of the progress in this area. When my company had an office in DTFW, I attempted to drive through the area before going to the FW office. To my dismay, not living in FW for a while, I couldn't remember how to find the area. Could someone please tell me how to get to Race St. from I-30??? I would love to see the progress in person.

#36 Yossarian

Yossarian

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(Holden @ Jul 27 2006, 09:50 AM)  

Howdy! New to the forum and a recent implant to the Riverside area. I drove down Race St. yesterday evening and wanted to give props to the work that's been done to restore the buildings along that area of Six Points. Great job and keep up the good work!
I also noticed a "Coming Soon" sign for Fuzzy Tacos on one of the buildings. Big fan of their crispy shrimp tacos! Any idea on when this location will be opening up? And any updates on the other projects in the area, such as the pizza joint in the McAdams building?

Thanks in advance,

Holden

I came very close to choosing your monicker when I joined this forum. Another interesting literary character, although much more flawed than the one upon which I ultimately chose.

#37 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:15 PM

Vjackson, how about if we include Race Street on our forum meet tour for Sunday?

In case you make it over there within the next two days, when you are heading west on I-30 from Dallas, take the northbound Riverside Drive exit. Shortly after you exit and cross the Trinity River there will be a traffic light and the road will split into Sylvania Avenue and Riverside Drive. You may take either. If you go to the left and go north on Sylvania, follow the curve northward for about one mile. You will cross 121 and Belknap in rapid succession. At the next traffic light north of Belknap, turn right on Race Street.

If you stay northbound on Riverside (veering right), you will cross under 121 and continue north on Riverside to the next traffic light at Belknap/Race Street. This is a 6 point intersection. Turn left on Race Street. On your left, you will see the McAdams Building, a building saved from the wrecking ball at literally the last minute. The McAdams Building sits on the corner of Belknap and Riverside Drive.

#38 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

Welcome to the forum, Holden.

#39 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Jul 27 2006, 09:15 PM)  

Vjackson, how about if we include Race Street on our forum meet tour for Sunday?

Sounds great.

#40 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

Thanks in advance,

Holden

There was also a makeover on a building on Belknap near Race street. If any of you guys ever pass by the Yucca Street FW Library thier are maps for a makeover for the Riverside area. This is what I so Love about Fort Worth. The whole city getting a makeover. Lots to do, but things are moving in the inner city.

#41 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:04 AM

Yossarian, appreciate the nod of character recognition. Your pseudonym reminds me a reread should be in short order!

John, thank you. Lots of good information here on the forum and website, great job--keep it up!

Denton, will have to stop by the library and take a look at those maps. Anyone know if there is a link to these online?

#42 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Holden @ Jul 31 2006, 08:04 AM)  

Yossarian, appreciate the nod of character recognition. Your pseudonym reminds me a reread should be in short order!

John, thank you. Lots of good information here on the forum and website, great job--keep it up!

Denton, will have to stop by the library and take a look at those maps. Anyone know if there is a link to these online?

I have not I hope someone can find it . But I was walking out when I saw the maps and renderings of what they want to do on the Riverside area. They cover the upper self of the wall . I guess you could ask to take them down and have a better look.

You may have to ask the Library Gerbil also. (Yes a real live pet living in the Riverside Libaray) laugh.gif

#43 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:35 PM

Thanks, Holden. I really didn't answer your question. I don't know when Fuzzy's is scheduled to open. At the forum meet on Sunday, we did see the sign. I also don't know when the pizza place is going to open in the McAdams Building. The owners of both buildings are members on this forum.

As we made our way to TCU, we actually ate at Fuzzy's on Berry during our forum tour.

#44 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Jul 31 2006, 02:35 PM)  

QUOTE(Holden @ Jul 31 2006, 08:04 AM)  

I have not I hope someone can find it . But I was walking out when I saw the maps and renderings of what they want to do on the Riverside area. They cover the upper self of the wall . I guess you could ask to take them down and have a better look.

You may have to ask the Library Gerbil also. (Yes a real live pet living in the Riverside Libaray) laugh.gif

I remember seeing a Guinea pig last year, as well!

#45 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:05 PM

Thanks in advance,

Holden

Greetings and thanks for the positive input, I am building the pizza place and we should be done in about a month. Fuzzys is still waiting for permits.

I lost two tennants at 2806 and 2812 I am trying to get something cool in these places.
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#46 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:16 AM

DJM,

Thank you for the update and keep up the great work! I noticed quite a bit of activity in the McAdams building this weekend, and what looked to be a water fountain recently installed inside. It's good to see things take shape in this area and I can't help but wonder how Race St. will look in five years or so with the TCC campus and residential areas of Trinity Bluffs taking shape just west of there.
We grabbed lunch at Fuzzy's on Sat. and they told us they were waiting for their permits and that it would be approx. 120 days from that point.

#47 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(Holden @ Aug 14 2006, 09:16 AM)  

DJM,

Thank you for the update and keep up the great work! I noticed quite a bit of activity in the McAdams building this weekend, and what looked to be a water fountain recently installed inside. It's good to see things take shape in this area and I can't help but wonder how Race St. will look in five years or so with the TCC campus and residential areas of Trinity Bluffs taking shape just west of there.
We grabbed lunch at Fuzzy's on Sat. and they told us they were waiting for their permits and that it would be approx. 120 days from that point.

Thanks,
Yeah we also installed the walk in cooler on Saturday. I hope to be calling in for finals late this week. One the health inspections pass we can start moving equipment in. Stop by sometime and see me. I can show you all thats coming in in the area. I drive a silver chevy truck and am on race or McAdams daily..
J
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#48 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:58 AM

Cool.. I'll look for your truck the next time I cruise through Race St.

#49 carltodd

carltodd

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:08 AM

Hello. I live in Riverside and been looking forward to the pizza restaurant in the McAdams building. I am starting to give up hope that it will open now.

Lots of work is going on at the Fuzzy Taco, and that is looking very promising.

#50 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:59 AM

Please dont give up hope... its almost finished.. Final inspections are being done as we speak.. As far as the rest of Race street things go slow mainly due to interference by neighborhood people who dont want to see these changes taking place... My buildings 2806 and 2812 are completely empty due to such interference... They once held Liners, EC heathcare, Bare Tan and a recording studio..

Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users