16 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Photography, American History

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:17 AM

I enjoy driving west of Ft Worth and photographing buildings in small towns. The towns may not have great skylines or highly detailed buildings, but I think they are still worth documenting. Here are a few from my collection.

Movie Theater in Bronte, TX
IPB Image

Hico, TX...A great town to visit
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thurber, TX....The museum is a must see and the brickwork in the smokestack is amazing
IPB Image

IPB Image

Robinson One-Room Schoolhouse north of Strawn, TX
IPB Image

IPB Image

#2 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Storm Photography<br />Storm Chasing<br />EMS<br />and<br />I love great architecture

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:34 AM

Nice pictures Brian, I know exactly what you saying! Going west on storm chases takes me through towns that I would never get the chance to see otherwise. When waiting on storms to form I love to take photos of the towns and the high amount of vacated homes and buisneses! I tell my wife that 50% of storm chasing is just getting out on the open roads and relaxing and seeing the historical side of towns that have been forgotten by the interstate system.

Thanks for sharing!
Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#3 bburton

bburton
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:49 PM

This is a nice series of photos; inspires one to get out and see the vanishing Texas all around us. Thanks. biggrin.gif

#4 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:25 PM

Texas at it's best. Nice Brian. And small town Texas is nice during the summer. But I always try to see it during the springtime bloom. Thier are nice books out thier but nothing beats going thier. And talking to the local folks.

#5 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:58 PM

Wonderful shots! I love that smokestack, especially since it looks like it's in the middle of a field. I too enjoy driving around west of FW, but for the scenery...I should stop in one of those towns some day.

#6 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:55 AM

Great pix! I want that theater, or more correctly that "picture show" (that's what we called them in E TX). My husband and I used to take weekend road trips; we'd pick a direction, pack an overnight bag, and just drive, mainly farm-to-markets, old parts of hiways, etc. and find the most incredible places and things. The first motels (motor courts) were some of my favorites. We found an old store somewhere with faded signage that it was at one time a "coffin maker and furniture store." Have no idea where that was now. We would stop in Thurber everytime we headed west; love that place. Your pix made me smile biggrin.gif

#7 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the comments and viewing my pictures. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year. smile.gif

#8 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:21 PM

Great pic's Brian. And a Happy New Year to you, tambien.

You inspire for my next travels along old Highway 281S.

Any good diners to patron while in those towns?

Been to HICO, and basically drove through it. But one time I did take a side street tour along it's MAIN route. Neat little town, and they were working on renovations with a HUGE old four story building. Hope it is going well. MUST return for the RIB-EYE STEAK Fest they have over there once a year. cheeburga.gif

Love the weekend picnicing idea SUERTO. Don't see much of that these days. Enjoyed it once last year while traveling W on 67, near Glen Rose. Little tiny picnic stop with a marvelous view of a Hill Country valley. Must try the Marble Falls stop too.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#9 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Jan 1 2007, 04:21 PM) View Post

Any good diners to patron while in those towns?

In Strawn there is a place called Mary's that is reputed to have some of the best chicken fried steak in the state. Right across the street is another place (Flossies?) that is supposed to be right up there with Mary's. When I visited the cars parked outside seemed to be voting for Mary's so thats where I went.

Some very interesting old buildings to see off the main drag in Strawn and of course the worlds largest dung beetle. The town is very proud of the "Greyhounds" their 6 man football team.

#10 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

In Thurber there is a place called "The Smokestack". There are a lot of historic photos on the walls and a few mining artifacts on display. They also have the key to the cemetary if anyone is interested in that. On the south side of the Interstate is another restaraunt on top of what is known as New York Hill. Have never patroned it though.

#11 WESTHMESS

WESTHMESS

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 28 2006, 11:17 AM) View Post

I enjoy driving west of Ft Worth and photographing buildings in small towns. The towns may not have great skylines or highly detailed buildings, but I think they are still worth documenting. Here are a few from my collection.

Movie Theater in Bronte, TX
IPB Image

Hico, TX...A great town to visit
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thurber, TX....The museum is a must see and the brickwork in the smokestack is amazing
IPB Image

IPB Image

Robinson One-Room Schoolhouse north of Strawn, TX
IPB Image

IPB Image

Great pics. Thanks for sharing them. I would bet the "picture show" does a good business on Fri. and Sat. nights. Thanks again. smile.gif

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,414 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:14 PM

I know it is work, but the best way to see all of these small towns out west is on bicycle! I've ridden through all of the places mentioned. From time to time, the Fort Worth Bicycling Association has rides through Palo Pinto County featuring Thurbur, Mingus, Strawn, Gordon, Palo Pinto, and Mineral Wells.

#13 WESTHMESS

WESTHMESS

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Jan 4 2007, 11:14 PM) View Post

I know it is work, but the best way to see all of these small towns out west is on bicycle! I've ridden through all of the places mentioned. From time to time, the Fort Worth Bicycling Association has rides through Palo Pinto County featuring Thurbur, Mingus, Strawn, Gordon, Palo Pinto, and Mineral Wells.

Hi John,
I didn't realize it until now, but I'm not replying the proper way. Please tell a newbie how to reply without showing the entire message being replied to. Thanks in advance,
Wes

#14 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:01 PM

Has anyone ever been to or photgraphed Chillicothe? When I visit my grandmother next month, I'll try to take some pictures, if no one else has.

#15 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

Wife and I went to Cisco TX today for my niece's wedding shower. (My little niece is the Eastland Co. District attorney and she is marrying an Eastland Co. Judge, whose father is also a Judge there.) Great people in a great little town, I have never been to before. (Cisco)

First pic... The first Hilton Hotel. (This is not a joke.) Look at pic and read the sign. As I doubted it, I got on line and researched it. Sure enough. First Hilton. (I think this was Paris Hilton's Great Grandfather for you youngsters in Forum Land.)

And a few other pics of this interesting town.

www.fortworthview.com

#16 fw1953

fw1953

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:22 PM

There is a Fort Worth connection here. This hotel was purchased by Conrad Hilton in May of 1919. In October of 1919 he purchased the Melba Hotel in Fort Worth, thus the beginning of the Hilton chain.

#17 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

Went to Eastland TX, 95 miles West of Fort Worth this weekend. (As stated previously, my little niece, the Eastland Co. District Attorney, married her Courthouse buddy.) Really interesting town. Her Wedding Reception was held in the ballroom on the top floor in this old Hotel. This grand building is coming back to life after years of neglect. So far, only the first and top floors have been refurbished. Pretty smart concept to me. (It is that little used concept of pay-as-you-go) Very nice building.

Hotel lobby on first floor. (Used to be, anyhow)

From my Hotel 2 miles away. (there is a shorter building in the way of the Hotel)

Hung out at their cemetery waiting for the Wedding. Was surreal with that old car driving by.

www.fortworthview.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users