Photo
- - - - -

Awesome mid-mod interior at 9th & Houston

Downtown Farm & Home Savings Mid-Century Modern Historic Buildings Restaurants Banks

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Bonfire98A

Bonfire98A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

Next door to the Tie Restaurant (which I highly recommend for lunch) is this vacant bank building.  It's pretty plain on the outside, and I'm guessing most passersby probably wouldn't bother peeking inside.  They have no idea what they're missing, especially if they're fans of mid-century modern.

Yep, pretty ordinary on the outside....

9944578353_c4df126af4_b.jpg

...which belies the amazing space within.

9944581773_8800f35645_b.jpg

The spiral staircase in front of that flagstone wall is so cool.

9944588513_93120796e8_b.jpg

Believe it or not, I didn't actually go inside -- I simply placed my humble little iPhone against the windows and snapped these shots.  

What's funny is that most of the historic preservation efforts go towards older buildings that were typically replaced by buildings like these, but now it's been long enough that this style is beginning to earn accolades from preservationists as well.  I hope to see this space restored and re-opened someday.

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hey very cool. I'd always been able to see the outline of that staircase when I looked in, but never this well. I'm surprised it's vacant, Houston is a pretty bustling street. It looks like it could be made over into anything really. I also notice the stairs go down, wonder where that leads?

I also notice 9th street is a hot topic on the forums today. Discussion about this building, the "proposed" hotel, and the Moncrief building. I think this street has the potential to take off, it's got those nice wide brand new sidewalks, Hyde Park and GW Square, the evental CC expansion/Arena demolition, a couple of nice but vacant buildings, a few wide open surface lots, and the ITC right at the end of all of it. 

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

It was built in 1959 for Farm & Home Savings.  The stairs probably go down to the safe deposit box vault in the basement.  The S&L's money vault is probably down there, as well.

By the way, those are great pictures from a cell phone through a window.

#4 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

Great interior… would be a cool location for the FW Convention and Visitor's Bureau office.  

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

Noticed last night the lights were on and the for sale signs were different. Maybe that will bring some more attention to a potential buyer.

aJAZ2DD.jpg

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

I think having the lights on at night would call more attention to the building.

#7 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:14 AM

And, it's got this cool thing on the sidewalk out front:

7949621368_5cc3b4f939_z.jpg
Insured up to $10,000 by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#8 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:32 AM

I noted that building and the sprial staircase two nights ago when I rode by on my bike. I think you're right- having the lights on at night sure catches the eye!

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:40 AM

I don't know how I missed these pics a year ago. The interior looks like it's straight off of the set of Mad Men.

#10 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:54 PM

I saw the doors open the other day and there were some workers inside; one fellow said the building was being renovated into a restaurant with patio seating on the roof.  Today, I saw a bunch of carpet in the lobby that appears to have been removed from either the basement or the second story.  Anyone know anything about the restaurant that will go there?

#11 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

I hope they aren't gutting it!

#12 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:08 PM

Taylor and Shirlee Gandy have sold another downtown Fort Worth property, this one at the northeast corner of Houston and Ninth streets across from the Fort Worth Convention Center.

The 10,931-square-foot former savings and loan building was sold to 915 Houston Llc., an entity of real estate investor and developer Clay Mazur, principal of Mazur Capital in Fort Worth, records show.

In 2012, Mazur’s 1401 Foch L.P. bought the former Goldthwaite’s building and property at the south end of Foch Street near the entrance to Trinity Park. Several years ago, Mazur was also involved in developing the Capital Bar and the Magnolia Motor Lounge at Norwood and Morton streets, near West Seventh.

Scott Lowe with Vision Commercial, who represented the Gandy’s Ron Investments, said the buyer plans to repurpose the building, built in 1959, as a restaurant.

Mazur did not return phone calls seeking comment. Jordan Piper with Piper Commercial represented the buyer.

The Gandys also recently sold the former Rodeo Steakhouse building at 1309 Calhoun St. to Tony Formby, chief executive of 2x4 Brewing & Imports. The one-time investor in Fort Worth’s Rahr & Sons Brewing plans a distillery there.

http://www.dfwi.org/...ion-center-sold

#13 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:19 PM

915 Houston has a dumpster outside and they've been gutting a lot of the interior since last week.  The staircase is still up, but all of the bank counters are gone.  Also, there is a sign out front with a proposed rendering of what the restaurant with rooftop patio will look like.

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:33 PM

It was mentioned at the Forum Meeting that they were demolishing the interior.

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:57 PM

Doesn't appear that it will be mid-mod anymore, but does look very cool.

mD1Qmwu.jpg

vjyamzk.jpg

MzAFIyf.jpg

#16 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:53 PM

Very impressive.
Will be a great addition to Downtown and the Convention Center area.

#17 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:26 AM

Looks like a reasonable reuse, the ceiling is definitely improved...

#18 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

New renderings look fantastic from the outside, though I'm very disappointed that they're removing the stone wall behind the stairs.

-Dylan

#19 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:17 PM

I actually think removing the stone wall is an improvement; it seemed a little contrived to begin with, and the white surfaces will allow the spiral stair to stand out more.

#20 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:30 PM

So is this project cancelled? When I was downtown the other day, there was an "available" sign on one of the windows.

It didn't appear there was any work going on inside, and the stone wall is still in tact.

-Dylan

#21 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:45 AM

Hm.  Interesting.

My blog: Doohickie

#22 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

Unless the rent is just horribly out of whack, I would think this will be snatched up quickly. It's a pretty prime location.

#23 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:29 AM

Unless the rent is just horribly out of whack, I would think this will be snatched up quickly. It's a pretty prime location.

...and yet it's been empty for how long?

#24 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

Yeah, true. I was under the impression that was because the owner was holding onto it for renovation.

#25 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:24 AM

Does Cleopatra Investments own it?

#26 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

Does Cleopatra Investments own it?

:glare:  :laugh:

#27 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:42 AM

I know you're kidding, but it's actually owned by Taylor Gandy who has a pretty strong track record when it comes to historic property downtown.

#28 dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:hockey, cars, architecture, photography, everything and anything apple, medicine.

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:21 AM

great looking preserving the nice parts on the inside. that staircase is stunning. this is going to be hard to rent out because of the lack of parking but worse still i don't think they can do valet on either of those streets although they sort of have it drawn up in their marketing diagrams. the design we're looking at is for marketing  primarily. slowly they'll inch towards their vision but they would rather let the tenant spend the money. 

im not certain but i think taylor gandy sold it to the guy that owns capital bar. 

#29 Bonfire98A

Bonfire98A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

Four years on, and it looks like the interior has been mostly stripped, but at least all the main structural elements remain in place, including the spiral stairs, the stone wall behind them and the mezzanine above.  

38150975085_73712b8294_b.jpg

38150975915_9522b2f374_b.jpg

#30 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

This building is the site of the proposed Canopy Hotel by Hilton.  If built, this building and interior will be demolished.

#31 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:23 PM

Nothing against renovating this small historical building, but I'd rather see a modern multi-story hotel at this location, which is what is planned.

#32 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

This building is the site of the proposed Canopy Hotel by Hilton.  I

allegedly 

#33 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:39 PM

This building is the site of the proposed Canopy Hotel by Hilton.  If built, this building and interior will be demolished.

Would be nice if they kept the interior

#34 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:09 PM

What happen to this proposed use of the property?

Doesn't appear that it will be mid-mod anymore, but does look very cool.

mD1Qmwu.jpg

vjyamzk.jpg

MzAFIyf.jpg

#35 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:22 PM

Nothing against renovating this small historical building, but I'd rather see a modern multi-story hotel at this location, which is what is planned.

I would rather see the plans on paper brought to fruition... Lots of parking lots to build on without tearing down perfectly functional and attractive buildings. The use pictured would go great with a convention center across the street.

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:59 AM

I agree with you, RD.  However, there are two hotels within one block from each other that are planned for sites that have small existing buildings on them.  Other than the parking beneath General Worth Square or working out a deal with a garage, those drawings to not indicate where the parking will be located for those two hotel projects. 

#37 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:35 PM

Looks like it is for lease again under a new company,

https://dbarealestat...houston-street/

Not sure what this means for the possible demolition/new hotel rumored on the site.

#38 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:40 AM

Next door to the Tie Restaurant (which I highly recommend for lunch) is this vacant bank building.  It's pretty plain on the outside, and I'm guessing most passersby probably wouldn't bother peeking inside.  They have no idea what they're missing, especially if they're fans of mid-century modern.

Believe it or not, I didn't actually go inside -- I simply placed my humble little iPhone against the windows and snapped these shots.  

What's funny is that most of the historic preservation efforts go towards older buildings that were typically replaced by buildings like these, but now it's been long enough that this style is beginning to earn accolades from preservationists as well.  I hope to see this space restored and re-opened someday.

I have noticed many millennials are wanting to have that mid-century modern look in their remodeled homes.

#39 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:13 PM

In my mind I had contributed to this thread, but I guess that was only in my mind.  We had extensively looked at this building to purchase, had teams out to test for asbestos, look at the electrical, the HVAC, the roof, the structure.  The building is built like a tank -- I was shocked that the mezzanine measured with equipment was still almost perfectly level.  The mechanicals are old and need to be replaced.  More importantly, the fact is that that area is going to be a war zone when they start demolition and reconstruction of the Convention Center.  Taylor Gandy was one of the nicest people to work with on it, and he wanted it to go to a good home, but our offer was below what he was looking for and someone else got the building; did some deconstruction on it and made some nice renderings, and put it back up again.  The building's true soul is meant to be an restaurant / bar -- we were hoping to use it as an office during the nearby  turmoil and and go that direction with it.  I hope it can be reutilized.

#40 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:05 PM

In my mind I had contributed to this thread, but I guess that was only in my mind.  We had extensively looked at this building to purchase, had teams out to test for asbestos, look at the electrical, the HVAC, the roof, the structure.  The building is built like a tank -- I was shocked that the mezzanine measured with equipment was still almost perfectly level.  The mechanicals are old and need to be replaced.  More importantly, the fact is that that area is going to be a war zone when they start demolition and reconstruction of the Convention Center.  Taylor Gandy was one of the nicest people to work with on it, and he wanted it to go to a good home, but our offer was below what he was looking for and someone else got the building; did some deconstruction on it and made some nice renderings, and put it back up again.  The building's true soul is meant to be an restaurant / bar -- we were hoping to use it as an office during the nearby  turmoil and and go that direction with it.  I hope it can be reutilized.

Roverone... what do you think about the rumors that a 20+ story hotel has been proposed for this site?

#41 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:23 PM

.....The building's true soul is meant to be an restaurant / bar -- we were hoping to use it as an office during the nearby  turmoil and and go that direction with it.  I hope it can be reutilized.

I think from your assessment that it is an exceptional piece of property.  Suggested reuse might be a  pavillion space used like the pavillion space in Sundance Square, only this pavillion will serve Worth Square.

#42 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:22 PM

I noticed that the leasing packet for this property has been updated, but no real changes otherwise. Such a cool space and a prime corner! Shame to see it go empty. 

https://www.loopnet....th-TX/27750832/

#43 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:28 PM

First that Ive seen those cool renderings of a potential revamp. Thats a neat way to take a sort of boring structure and really open it up and you cant beat the location. Are there any designations, if anyone knows off the top of their head? 1959

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 06:50 AM

There are no historic designations on this property.  I do like the new renderings, and if this remodel becomes reality, the project will have to go before the Downtown Design Review Board.

#45 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 07:54 AM

That would be a great restaurant location.  I noticed they called out in "nearby retail" The Brass Tap which is closed now.

#46 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 08:22 AM

I wonder if Reata considered this space. 

#47 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 09:56 AM

That would have been a great fit.

#48 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 10:02 AM

I like the staircase.

913-Houston-St-Fort-Worth-TX-Building-Ph

#49 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 01 June 2023 - 12:38 PM

Since you like the stairs, here are two from late January 2014 -- it doesn't look like this any more because there was some demolition done.  I wish they just would have left it alone until there was a solid plan for it -- they could have (and in fact ultimately did) express there ideas in renderings, rather than with a jack-hammer.

hfOsVG.jpg

LrM4zX.jpg

#50 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:06 PM

Very nice!  I bet that took some effort to design, source materials and construct.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Farm & Home Savings, Mid-Century Modern, Historic Buildings, Restaurants, Banks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users