#101 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:59 PM

^^^^^
Dallas people were coming to the AXIS because they booked lots of bands that were popular in Dallas. Several musician friends of mine even commented the bands were dependant on Dallas fans, because FW just isn't a live music type town and just isn't known for supporting rock venues. I lived in FW for two looong years ('98-'99) and I know what he's talking about. Which was the main reason why I had to move. As a young man in my early 20's, moving here from the east coast, FW was just boring. And from what I hear from people in that age range now, it still hasn't changed. People will use phrases like cute and nice to describe downtown, but cool or hip, I've yet to hear. I spend time in FW still because of work and relatives and sometimes just for something different . And I will admit, it has gotten a little, and I mean a little better. But even when I mention I'm going to FW for the weekend, I still get the same old responses like "why??" or "what is there to do in FW?". I'm not from Dallas or FW, so I have no allegiance to either city, but compared to FW, Dallas is like New York City. Where else would people devote this much time discussing a Super Target???

#102 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:19 PM

I drove by Axis today and noticed a for sale sign on the property. I'm wondering...was Axis's closing it's own decision, or was it kicked out? Either way, we would have heard something about it in some media outlet by now (FW Weekly maybe?), right?

#103 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Jan 29 2006, 12:59 AM) View Post

^^^^^
As a young man in my early 20's, moving here from the east coast, FW was just boring. And from what I hear from people in that age range now, it still hasn't changed. People will use phrases like cute and nice to describe downtown, but cool or hip, I've yet to hear.

I don't think either Fort Worth nor Dallas are especially "cool" or "hip."

To find cool and hip one has to go to the West Coast where one can go to venues such as:

http://avalonball.com/

and see acts such as this:

http://morasmodern.com/

And how could one find an event more cool and hip than this?

http://www.thegolden...net/events.html

Now that's the kind of stuff that's cool and hip - and, unfortunately, both Dallas and Fort Worth are way behind the curve on such things. One can find cool stuff on the East Coast too.

Bottom line is this: what constitutes "cool" and "hip" is largely in the eye of the beholder and depends on the particular crowd one hangs out with. Amongst my friends, the kind of stuff I linked to is VERY cool to the extreme. Fort Worth may be lacking in what I consider to be cool and hip - but there are other reasons that make it a pretty nice place to live.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#104 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:21 AM

(response to vjackson's earlier post)

When viewed through a Dallas lens, Fort Worth is apt to fall short in several categories, as the prevailing Dallas view is that greater quantity of places to spend your money (retail stores, bars, restaurants) = greater quality of life. What appeals to many many people about Fort Worth is the character of the city (i.e. the built environment, the institutions, and the people). I have no doubt that many people who live in other cities are either unaware of the quality of life that exists here or don't find any appeal in what exists here. That's okay - there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all city. I, for one, spend a good deal of time visiting museum exhibits, attending related lectures, occasional films and live music performances, and cycle and run on the trails regularly.

I could go on about why the psyche of the Dallas community tends to champion its community's culture over ours, but I don't have the time at the moment.

Do remember, though, that it takes a long time for public opinion (especially that of people from out of town) takes a long time to shift to reflect reality. Although Fort Worth has evolved rapidly over the last 6 years (since you moved), it will likely take some time for the collective opinions out of town (and even in this city) to completely become aware of what all we have now.

This city isn't as obvious as it may seem - many of the interesting, eclectic elements and people are tucked away throughout neighborhoods where you might not expect to find them. This is one thing I love about Fort Worth - I constantly stumble upon new interesting people and places as I get involved in different events and groups throughout the city.

BTW, I agree w/ you regarding the music support, however - but believe that a marketing mechanism to create awareness about the music is lacking.....like another local radio station to promote it in addition to KTCU. No Dallas-based radio station is going to really help plug a show at the Axis, Aardvark, Wreck Room, Blues Bar...... That would be a tremendous help if such a medium existed as they have in Austin w/ 107.1 KGSR.

#105 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:42 AM

Dallas is twice as big as Fort Worth, therefore, more population will have more retail, clubs, resturants, etc.
Dallas is more popular and nationally known, therefore, more tourists to those retail, clubs, resturants, etc packed along with the already packed poplulation. You have no choice but to think Dallas is the place for major entertainment and fun.
Now if people had the choice to party in NYC or Big D, same comparison to D & FW.

If Fort Worth and everyone and everything in it now exsisted in a remote location in TX or some other state, our retail/clubs/resturants would burst at the seams with rural people trying to get a tatse of the BIG CITY.

Our location next to Dallas makes us look small. I mean a German Shepard looks big, but shrinks sitting next to a Grate Dane! laugh.gif

#106 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:15 PM

Or an English Mastiff. wub.gif

Great Pyranees. biggrin.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#107 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:56 PM

The Neil P. is about a third sold now. Things have apparently picked up a little now that construction is wrapping up. I think the penthouse is even under contract.

#108 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:33 AM

I was lucky enough to be invited to the Neil P.'s finish-out VIP party last night. The big news was, of course, the completion of the Sanctuary, the nifty two-level pool/lounge/cookout/hot-tub thingy behind the building. Also the fact that the penthouse is, in fact, sold.

Naturally, I took a few photos - 173 to be exact. Here are a few of them:

The Sanctuary, first level, showing fountains:
IPB Image

In the penthouse, which is to be finished out by the buyer, checking out the awesome cotton showroom skylights:
IPB Image

Part of the penthouse. Loads of potential here for a really cool space:
IPB Image

Out on the rooftop. This will be cool all done-up nice:
IPB Image

IPB Image

The old water tank platform:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Some of the Electric Building's awesome detailing from a rare vantage point:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Skylights from the outside:
IPB Image

Cool view from the roof:
IPB Image

And another:
IPB Image

And another:
IPB Image

Looking down on the Sanctuary. This is a great use of space:
IPB Image

IPB Image

El Towerito:
IPB Image

View of Pier 1:
IPB Image

Pool & hot-tub:
IPB Image

Balcony view:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Lovin' the windows:
IPB Image

Elevator interior:
IPB Image

Leather floors in elevators:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Lobby pics:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Drawing room:
IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#109 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, Sailing, Exotic cars, Aviation, My family, Travel<br />My Personal website www.jasonmiller.com

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:05 PM

WOW thanks for posting pics.. beautiful place!!!
Let me help you with your Real Estate needs
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#110 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

Very good pictures, A/G. Looks like a great place. Better views from there than I was guessing.
Remember anybody mentioning how much the Condo Assoc. dues would be?

I bet the dues will be high. And I also bet they will go up a lot after the marketing honeymoon is over. (Not saying it still wouldn't be worth it, nice as it looks.)

Great job getting all those shots! Now I'm not going to have to play that "I am with the Phone company and I have to come in and look for a leak" routine.
www.fortworthview.com

#111 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:36 PM

Wow, looks like a really nice place. Were the balconies added in the refurbishment or are those original?

#112 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:47 PM

great pics. sure wish there was some level of finish on the penthouse floor. is the rooftop balcony exclusively for the use of the penthouse owner? if so, what a great pick up - endless options.

#113 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Mar 23 2007, 01:36 PM) View Post

Wow, looks like a really nice place. Were the balconies added in the refurbishment or are those original?

The balconies were added and that has been one of the biggest delays in permitting and construction.

A note about the elevator floor, the tiles are leather. Pretty swanky.

If you want to look around, no need to sneak. Call Whitney Neal, he's the rep on site. 817-698-0411. He'd be happy to show you around.

#114 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:43 PM

A few shots of the famed corner model unit:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#115 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Mar 23 2007, 02:09 PM) View Post
If you want to look around, no need to sneak. Call Whitney Neal, he's the rep on site. 817-698-0411. He'd be happy to show you around.

I think I'd need to put a rolled-up sock in my wallet to gain entrance to the premises.

Maybe I'll just order prints from Atomic and paste them on the outside of the windows of my suburban hovel.

Great shots as usual, Kev.

#116 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:22 PM

I'm speechless! Better than what I expected

#117 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

It really is a beautiful building and they did a great job refurbishing. Whoever asked about HOA dues, I think they are quoting $.50/foot per month.

#118 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:23 PM

At one point, I was told that the parking spaces are rented at $150/month, but then heard that this had changed.

#119 jwodae

jwodae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:48 PM

How are the condo sales going, anyone?

#120 Dcurtis

Dcurtis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:33 AM

^^^^
Answer your question??

Developers seek to unload the Neil P.
By SANDRA BAKERStar-Telegram Staff Writer

An executive with M.C. Smith Interests in Dallas, the project's equity partner, said Thursday that the firm decided to sell the historic building after an annual review of its investments.

The review comes as downtown condo sales appear to be slowing.

Only 14 of the 57 units in the Neil P. were sold during a 22-month period, according to Tarrant County deed records. Prices at The Neil P. ranged from the $200,000s to the $700,000s, and the units ranged in size from 760 to 2,252 square feet. A penthouse unit was listed at $1 million.

The latest housing figures compiled by Downtown Fort Worth Inc. shows that as of Jan. 7, sales contracts on 16 downtown units were pending. However, fewer residences were sold during the fourth quarter of 2007 when compared with the same period in 2006. In the last three months of 2007, 18 units were sold, compared with 39 in 2006.

Moreover, the units that were sold were on the market longer. Units sold in the fourth quarter of 2007 were on the market for 94 days, compared with 52 days for units sold in the fourth quarter of 2006.

But the proposed sale of the Neil P. project is not the result of poor sales or market conditions, said Rick Waggoner of M.C. Smith Interests.

"I can't say that [sales] didn't meet expectations," Waggoner said. "We're proud of what we built over there. We have all the confidence in the world in Fort Worth. It's a matter of balancing our portfolio."

M.C. Smith Interests partnered with Amicus Interests, a Fort Worth real estate development firm, to buy the building at 411 W. Seventh St., in June 2004. The building had been built and opened in 1921 for the Neil P. Anderson Cotton Co.

Amicus served as the development partner until a few months ago. Matt Herring, a partner in Amicus, confirmed that it was released from the project but declined further comment.

Andy Taft, president of Downtown Fort Worth Inc., a nonprofit advocacy group, said the building's listing does not point to a slowdown in the market.

"I don't believe it's symptomatic of the downtown housing market, which continues to sell at a brisk pace," Taft said.

Construction on the Neil P. began in 2005 and the first unit sold in November of that year. Nine units were sold between July and December of 2006, three in March, and the last one sold in September.

Not long after, residents were told that the building would be sold. It went on the market with Cushman & Wakefield's Apartment Services division several weeks ago.

There are 18 completed condos and 25 that await finish-out, ready for an owner's custom finishes. The 4,158-square-foot, 11th-floor penthouse is available as are a mix of one-, two- and three-bedroom units.

The lobby and amenities areas are completed.

"In some ways we're sad to sell," Waggoner said. "It was a nice product for Fort Worth, and it reflects on us well."

SANDRA BAKER, 817-390-7727
sabaker@star-telegram.com

#121 jwodae

jwodae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

It does! Thanks Dcurtis! Was this article in Star-T?
I was around Bass Hall tonight. When you go south past 4th St, there is much less activity than the Square and mostly quite dark. This building is on 7th. Honestly I like the Neil P very much. Good finish. Only if it could be a bit more affordable. If there is a price reduction, I wonder how that will impact existing residents.

#122 Dcurtis

Dcurtis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:20 AM

^^
Yes it was in the Star yesterday. I'm surprised at how slowly these have sold...it's a really nice conversion. Also, compared to what's in Dallas, Austin, and Houston , these units are VERY affordable. One thing DTFW has going for it, is its small size. Even if you bought in this building that's away from the Square, it's still a very short walk..the same for the T&P. For example, I purchased a home in DTD near Farmer's market so to get to something going on in the Arts District its quite a walk (for many people, not for me.) That could easily factor in to someone's decision where to purchase in DTD. I don't think that's as much of an issue in DTFW, which further baffles me to why these have sold so slowly.

#123 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:50 AM

I think the concept had serious flaws from the onset---particularly parking and storage. The owners did not own any parking outright, so the parking was month to month with a third party is what I have been told. In the event the building with parking sold, the residents were SOL if the new owners changed the deal. That's a huge gamble to take for the kind of investment you would be making...additionally, the HOA dues were high, but rumors were that those were going to be raised even more. Rumor only, I am not a resident so I cannot say for sure. Finally, the units had absolutely no storage. Most closets had HVAC or water heaters in them, and the net useable space couldn't hald two pairs of slacks. I guess large armoires in every BR would help, but most of the BR's were too small for the armoires. Don't get me wrong, I think the space is gorgeous and they did a fabulous job on the building---they just did not think through the problems associated with everyday living---parking and putting your stuff away.

#124 stkromain

stkromain

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:40 AM

I agree. I had looked to buy here and the price point was way too high. The initial price wasn't too bad, it was all the mickey mouse stuff - high HOA, monthly parking, the building wasn't finished so you'd be living in construction, etc...

Very cool place, very, very well finished - however, too many quirks to hook purchasers.

#125 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:58 AM

Went over to the Neil P with a friend that recently moved in. (Lobster, for the earlier Forum Members).

Was very nice. Complete tour and even came back at night and we went on the roof. Was great.

A few pics...

www.fortworthview.com

#126 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

When did Lobster move to the Neil P.? Last time I ran into him on the street - couldn't have been more than a month or two ago - he was still at the Tower.

--

Kara B.

#127 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Jun 23 2008, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When did Lobster move to the Neil P.? Last time I ran into him on the street - couldn't have been more than a month or two ago - he was still at the Tower.

About a month ago. He still owns a place in the Tower and is temporarily living in a larger place in the Neil P. until he finds a larger place for his quickly growing family. (Hopefully in the Tower, but he will live anywhere ... as long as it is in Downtown Fort Worth.) He has a one bedroom place in the Tower and needs 2 or 3 bedrooms.

I guess it is a coincidence, but the same time Lobster stopped spending his evenings on the Forum, his lovely wife started having babies!

www.fortworthview.com

#128 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:37 AM

The penthouse is for sale and it looks incredible! I'm only about $2,848,000 away from being able to afford it. 

http://www.trulia.co...X-76102#photo-1

#129 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:18 AM

Sounds like you need to start a Kickstarter campaign to get you in there, Austin.  If someone can generate $40,000 to make a potato salad, then this condo shouldn't be too hard.  I'll donate a dollar.

#130 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:42 PM

A planet Sub's will be opening soon on the buildings bottom floor.

#131 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

The owner of the Penthouse and rooftop has some big plans. 

https://vlkarchitect...rooftop-terrace

uEVlS1c.jpg

#132 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

That is sweet. Too bad it won't be open to the public.

#133 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:43 PM

I can see the water tower going back up

#134 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:23 PM

Penthouse is for sale again

http://fortworth.cul...treet/#slide=13

#135 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 20 August 2021 - 11:44 AM

q31rtbE.jpg

ImeAamw.jpg

Cotton Exchange Medallion:

lYaykSb.jpg

H7L5EsI.jpg

#136 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 06:59 AM

Penthouse is for sale again

http://fortworth.cul...treet/#slide=13

And, again!

https://www.zillow.c.../70575930_zpid/

This 2021 listing is for about a million less than the 2020 listing but I still can't afford it. :wacko:

#137 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 12:09 PM

Somebody on this forum should buy it, make it an AirBNB. 

Would make an amazing place for 1) hosting parties, 2) have a group of friends stay for the weekend.

Also would be a phenomenal rooftop bar but condo association likely wouldn't love that idea.

#138 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 26 August 2021 - 08:59 PM

Somebody on this forum should buy it, make it an AirBNB. 

Would make an amazing place for 1) hosting parties, 2) have a group of friends stay for the weekend.

Also would be a phenomenal rooftop bar but condo association likely wouldn't love that idea.

Ok... Ok... I'll buy it.  I just need $4,950,000 more. LOL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Historic Buildings, Condominiums, Downtown Residential

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users