6 replies to this topic

#1 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:34 PM

NTHT will have North Texas Transportation Interurban Car No. 25 open for viewing this evening and Friday from 6:30pm until 10pm and Saturday 11:00am to 7:00pm.

If you are going to be downtown for the Arts Festival, stop in and see the car. Just south of the Intermodal Station between the waiting room and the Trinity Railway Express platform. It's North Texas' original commuter rail system.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#2 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:00 PM

Whoops, make that until 9pm on Thursday and Friday.

#3 SouthSideAllan2000

SouthSideAllan2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:05 PM

I had just posted in another tread that I'll be crushing cans at the Corporate Can Crush tomorrow at noon. I'll be the shortest Mexican guy in the Colonial Savings team. BTW we are returning champions for the second year in a row, going for 3-peat! Wish us luck!

Allan

#4 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:13 AM

I went to MSAF Saturday and Sunday. What was everyone's opinion of the festival this year? I was a bit disappointed in the art. It seems like it was almost exactly the same as last year. I still had fun, however. FWMSAF is always a blast.

Sunday afternoon I went to the festival... there was this exciting "end of the world" atmosphere. They closed the festival early because of the ominous weather. There were high winds whipping trash around the streets of downtown, a few claps of thunder, and flashes of lightening... The art vendors were scrambling to pack up their art and get the heck out of dodge before the F5 hit. Some of the vendors looked a little panicked and there was talk of the big twister that took out the tower. I was on a mission to spend my last few tickets and ended up having a delicious deep fried snack of fried pickles and chicken strips... That was all that was left open by the time I found someone still open. It really took on an Independence Day feel when the police started driving down mainstreet and making announcements on their loud speakers... "Attention. The Event has been closed early due to dangerous weather conditions. A large storm will hit downtown in about 10 minutes. Please move inside or go home. The even it over."

You've never seen people in such a rush to tear down booths and tents. People literally started running once the police started making "countdown to disaster" announcements. Well, everyone except the beer vendors. They seemed perfectly calm. LOL I half way expected to see Jeff Goldbloom running down main street.

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:49 AM

All that, and the storms missed DT altogether. Not much more than a sprinkle. If they hadn't shut down, we could have been sitting here today talking about a repeat of Mayfest 95, so I can't fault them for their decision.

#6 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:54 PM

F5! :huh:
My behind would have been running too if I spotted a 1996 red Dodge Ram 2500 P/U truck, and a Helen Hunt look alike.

Good one, I am glad I did not waste my Sunday at a half day festival anyhow. Feel for the Latin music venues though, why are they only showcased on Sunday? :cheez: Oh because of the MAN. IC.

Well, yes the festival was lackluster once again. Nothing new from DFW Inc. , ALL HYPE NO SHOW. The hottest thing going was the display of new uni-cycle gang apparel. True Roughriders of the bricked streets. UNICYCLE GANG, ROLL OUT!
I swear one of them had spinners on. :roflol:

Brushpicks were handy too. Funny thing is that the MSFWAF Artist of the Year is the same cat we bargained down $1000 on a Sunday piece some 3 years ago. Nothing like seeing a desperate artist do business.

BUDDY GUY was the real deal, and of course Big Time and his satin pink full length suit. Talk about a show, have yall seen his new "Street Cred" bezzeled watch. Mo money, Mo money, Mo money.

Yes, most of the art was still the same. I think they were kept in storage at that 913 Houston St place. You know that building standing vacant since the Rangers last won the pennant. Or the Stars were in MN.

Q: Is sports memorabilia posters and pic's considered works of art? And are they worthy of a Main St. and 4th location?

PEACE! -_-
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#7 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:02 PM

I enjoyed walking up and down Main Street on Thursday evening after we closed the interurban car at the intermodal station. We had about 150 to 200 visitors to see the inside of the car.

I've been in the metroplex for about 15 years and this was my first visit to the FWMSAF. Sounds like I haven't missed much according to some.

I suppose I didn't get the full experience, though, since I didn't buy anything on a stick or get anything fried to eat. Oh well, reason enough to go back next year.

Saw some cool stuff and a few pieces that I wouldn't mind acquiring. However, I think I could do one of those windmill/whirligigs out of old streetcar parts. Got my inspiration. Gotto go fire up the arc welder.

OK, now bring on the Spring Rally!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users