Photo
- - - - -

Which bridge was hit and collapsed in the 80s?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:47 PM

I remember as a kid in the 80s that some big truck hit a bridge pillar and the bridge collapsed onto the freeway below. My dad showed us while driving through there, but that was way before I knew Ft. Worth's roads. I believe the only one killed was the truck driver himself. I've wondered for years, which bridge was it?

#2 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:07 PM

Speaking of COLLAPSE.

Did y'all hear about that "JOB" performed at the DTFW WAMU!!!

Could not believe what happened thereafter. All over THE TICKET AM Sports radio report:roflol: tongue.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:11 PM

Campus Drive and I-20, near TCC South campus. Around '85 maybe? I don't remember if anyone died, but I remember it was a huge story.

#4 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:20 PM

Seems like it was a rock hauler or water hauler or something. I believe the bridge fell either partly on a woman's car or right after she had passed under the bridge; something like that. I'm thinking she wasn't killed; maybe hurt bad. I really want to say it got either the hood or trunk of the car. There was also a RR bridge that fell on I30 over by Ridgmar Mall. I don't remember too many of the details about that one. It (the RR bridge) sat beside the road for a while and it had to do with the set of tracks that ran in front of the mall on the west (?) or Penney's side of the mall. So until they finally took those tracks up, they went to nowhere.

Also, for all you oldtimers like me - does anyone remember, before they redid the 20/35 interchange, the old RR overpass right there at Hemphill. Anyway on the cement support that held the RR bridge up, there was the imprint of the front of an MG, that had hit it so hard, it was like a stamp on the support. You had to know to look for it, but once you saw it, it was hard to miss. That would have been heading W on 20. I have no idea when the wreck happened, but it would have been mid '70s when I found out about it; right out of PHS going to TCJC at that point. I always swore I'd get a picture of it before they tore all the down, but never did.

#5 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:59 PM

Yes, exactly about that lady's car! It was her trunk that got smashed just as she escaped under that bridge. I think it was like a dark green Buick or something, I still have that visual. I was going to mention that, but I thought maybe I dreamt that part up over the years. Was it the east or west bound side? The truck driver did die, I remember that. Wow, I was around 9-10 at that time if it was around '85.

Speaking of cement imprints, around the mid to late 90s or so there were these 2 brothers that lived right there on the corner where River Oaks Blvd and White Settlement Rd merge. It's that house that has horses and some kind of steel arch on the gate with their last name on it, like Herrera I think. You can't miss it. Anyway, one of them had a nice Corvette and they were going out one night. They were driving at a high rate of speed going east on White Settlement Rd when they lost control in the curve right before the Trinity River bridge. The Vette smacked right into the cement divider and fell down below in that gap and was engulfed in flames. Both died. The wheel was imprinted in that divider on the bridge for a long time and I'd imagine it's still there, but I haven't been down that road in years. If you're going east bound(towards downtown) it's right on your left before you actually enter the bridge. I partied with one of the brothers before, older guy, but really nice. My kids' grandma dated the other years ago. They were pretty popular guys in the North Side, everybody liked them and they rode horses.

Safly, what are you talking about? "JOB" at DTFW WAMU?

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:15 PM

I believe it was in the west bound lanes of I-20.

#7 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:03 PM

I don't know why I didn't think about it, but remember the Port Isabel bridge accident in 2001? This is an old article but the final death count was 8. First link is the story and the 2nd link shows the bridge accident pics. http://bridgepros.co...abellacauseway/

http://www.stexasbiz...E/collapse.html

We went to South Padre in 2004 and you can see the sections where it was repaired, it turns into blacktop pavement in that section.

#8 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Jun 14 2006, 08:07 PM)  

Speaking of COLLAPSE.

Did y'all hear about that "JOB" performed at the DTFW WAMU!!!

Could not believe what happened thereafter. All over THE TICKET AM Sports radio report:roflol: tongue.gif

Man walked in to the DTFW WAMU and robbed it at around 3:30pm today (13th), then proceeded to a nearby WESTERN WEAR store to try on and purchase some clothes. THEN he proceeded to HOP ON the T bus heading South on Houston St.
Can't find him. HE GONE.

HILARIOUS STUFF here!!! I swear I am NOT making this up.

Wonder what OUTSIDERS think of our town now.

Rememberance of that "FUGITIVE" story in DTFW about 3 months ago.
Progress being made??? rotflmao.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#9 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:48 PM

I read the headline on Startelegram.com but never opened it. I don't ever feel sorry for banks when they get robbed. But they're insured anyway, right?

#10 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:54 AM

I don't feel sorry, but I do worry from time to time. Since my mother works for a SA bank, but good thing is that the personnel there don't carry the money. They do a voucher slip and go to a machine for deposits and debits. Seems like all the other banks surrounding them have gotten robbed at one point, but not them (knocking on wood).

WISE.
www.iheartfw.com

#11 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Jun 15 2006, 11:54 AM)  

I don't feel sorry, but I do worry from time to time. Since my mother works for a SA bank, but good thing is that the personnel there don't carry the money. They do a voucher slip and go to a machine for deposits and debits. Seems like all the other banks surrounding them have gotten robbed at one point, but not them (knocking on wood).

WISE.

Yeah, Washington Mutuals are like that too. BTW safly, here's the result of that sunset robber story. http://www.dfw.com/m...fw/14863003.htm

#12 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:25 PM

Good for Luther. I know him well, and he is a standup guy. Very good at his job, and apparently VERY FAST. Looks like a sprinter.

"Luther! Now that looked miiighty painful."- 48 Hours smile.gif

That bank robber went from TRULY PIMP to a dumb horses ARSE in like a week.

www.iheartfw.com

#13 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:17 AM

That was the Campus Drive overpass by TCJC, South Campus. It was July 11, 1984. Yep, it just barely missed killing a driver on 820; it crushed the rear half of her car, but she survived.

I recall one of my teachers at TCJC had a photograph of that bridge collapse hanging on the wall of his office.

#14 waywr

waywr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:39 PM

I didn't see the wreck, but I drove by it, probably not long after it happened. Was in the summer of 1984 I'm almost positive, though it may have been 83.
I worked at Wedgwood Theater at the time. For 10 weeks every summer, we showed kids' movies at 8 a.m. and 10 a.m.
There was a theater in Arlington owned by the same company, Plitt Theaters, that owned Wedgwood.
Anyway, the projectionist would load the film on two big reels. I'd put those, and the film cans in my car and take them to the Arlington theater, which ran the movies the next day.
So, I'm driving up 20 to Arlington, and I see a ton of police and fire vehicles by the Campus Drive bridge there by, at the time, TCJC.
I pass by and see half the bridge on the freeway, and the back end of a woman's car crushed by the bridge. The woman was still in the car at the time. I didn't see any cars on top of the bridge, later learned there weren't any, but was thinking, "Oh my God! There's probably people and cars crushed under the bridge.
This was in the days before cell phones, of course.
So I drove on to Arlington and dropped the movie off. Told the people there about it. They looked at me kind of funny like they didn't believe, or understand what I was talking about.
Drove back to Wedgwood and told everybody there. Got a bunch of "Yeah right" looks and comments.
Fortunately, we got the Star Telegram at the theater, and this was when they still had a morning and evening edition.
Half an hour or so after I got back to Wedgwood, here came the evening paper, with a huge front-page photo of the collapsed bridge.
If I remember correctly, a tractor-trailer truck - don't remember what it was hauling - clipped one of the bridge posts, which made it fall on the woman's car. Neither the truck driver or the woman were hurt so far as I remember. All the traffic behind the woman was far enough back that they were able to stop in front of the bridge and, miraculously, there were no cars crossing the bridge at the time.
I was taking a summer class at Tic Jic at the time. Had to use an alternate route to get to the school for a few months until they repaired the bridge.

#15 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (waywr @ Jan 3 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't see the wreck, but I drove by it, probably not long after it happened. Was in the summer of 1984 I'm almost positive, though it may have been 83.
I worked at Wedgwood Theater at the time. For 10 weeks every summer, we showed kids' movies at 8 a.m. and 10 a.m.
There was a theater in Arlington owned by the same company, Plitt Theaters, that owned Wedgwood.
Anyway, the projectionist would load the film on two big reels. I'd put those, and the film cans in my car and take them to the Arlington theater, which ran the movies the next day.
So, I'm driving up 20 to Arlington, and I see a ton of police and fire vehicles by the Campus Drive bridge there by, at the time, TCJC.
I pass by and see half the bridge on the freeway, and the back end of a woman's car crushed by the bridge. The woman was still in the car at the time. I didn't see any cars on top of the bridge, later learned there weren't any, but was thinking, "Oh my God! There's probably people and cars crushed under the bridge.
This was in the days before cell phones, of course.
So I drove on to Arlington and dropped the movie off. Told the people there about it. They looked at me kind of funny like they didn't believe, or understand what I was talking about.
Drove back to Wedgwood and told everybody there. Got a bunch of "Yeah right" looks and comments.
Fortunately, we got the Star Telegram at the theater, and this was when they still had a morning and evening edition.
Half an hour or so after I got back to Wedgwood, here came the evening paper, with a huge front-page photo of the collapsed bridge.
If I remember correctly, a tractor-trailer truck - don't remember what it was hauling - clipped one of the bridge posts, which made it fall on the woman's car. Neither the truck driver or the woman were hurt so far as I remember. All the traffic behind the woman was far enough back that they were able to stop in front of the bridge and, miraculously, there were no cars crossing the bridge at the time.
I was taking a summer class at Tic Jic at the time. Had to use an alternate route to get to the school for a few months until they repaired the bridge.

Very interesting, thanks for replying. I cannot find pics anywhere or even an article on Google or in The Star Telegram archives. All that has come up in Google is this topic.

#16 817.TX.

817.TX.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Chevrolet Impalas Schwinns

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (Funkdoobiest @ Jun 14 2006, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, exactly about that lady's car! It was her trunk that got smashed just as she escaped under that bridge. I think it was like a dark green Buick or something, I still have that visual. I was going to mention that, but I thought maybe I dreamt that part up over the years. Was it the east or west bound side? The truck driver did die, I remember that. Wow, I was around 9-10 at that time if it was around '85.

Speaking of cement imprints, around the mid to late 90s or so there were these 2 brothers that lived right there on the corner where River Oaks Blvd and White Settlement Rd merge. It's that house that has horses and some kind of steel arch on the gate with their last name on it, like Herrera I think. You can't miss it. Anyway, one of them had a nice Corvette and they were going out one night. They were driving at a high rate of speed going east on White Settlement Rd when they lost control in the curve right before the Trinity River bridge. The Vette smacked right into the cement divider and fell down below in that gap and was engulfed in flames. Both died. The wheel was imprinted in that divider on the bridge for a long time and I'd imagine it's still there, but I haven't been down that road in years. If you're going east bound(towards downtown) it's right on your left before you actually enter the bridge. I partied with one of the brothers before, older guy, but really nice. My kids' grandma dated the other years ago. They were pretty popular guys in the North Side, everybody liked them and they rode horses.

Safly, what are you talking about? "JOB" at DTFW WAMU?

My wifes best friends dad! Conrad Herrera! Real sad story!! They still own the house on Riveroaks Blvd!
Born and Raised in Ft. Worth Texas.

Best believe I aint going no where!!

#17 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (817.TX. @ Mar 8 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My wifes best friends dad! Conrad Herrera! Real sad story!! They still own the house on Riveroaks Blvd!

That's right! I work right down the road from their house. Right after the accident I was at my uncle's and somebody related to them came by and showed us something he recovered from the accident site. It was a black aluminum Corvette flashlight and it was all scratched up. Also, back in the early 90s when I was in a band(Suave Band) our bass player's wife was related to them, either their cousin or sister, Patsy or Patty.

Back then(early 90s) my dad was having an affair with this woman and while I was at my friend's house who lives on the edge of Stockyards the brothers showed up there with that woman. It was at this time I found out who she was cause she knew everything about me and my family. They had been partying and dancing out in Stockyards that night. And let's just say we partied till the sun came up. I was a teenager at the time so when Conrad actually spent the time to converse with me I thought it was pretty cool since most older people ignore teens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users