19 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

No secret. I love Baker Brothers for salad and sandwiches. Would rather eat there than anywhere. The wife and I usually walk to the Montgomery Plaza location on Weekends.
Today, the sky was so pretty I grabbed my wide angle. And wife.

Beautiful building. Worth growing old for.

The rest of the retirement family.

I love this post tornado Cash America Building.

Walking out of Baker Brothers in Montgomery Plaza. I like that those condos are mostly sold.

Nicest 7-11 in the World?

Looking East toward home

The Tower

www.fortworthview.com

#2 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:photography, chess

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:12 AM

The sky yesterday was just outstanding. Like I remember Texas summer skies from my youth.

Baker Bros. is a lunch fave for me and my wife. Love that "North Beach" sandwich...good stuff.

I'd say you were a hardy soul for walking over to MP in the heat yesterday, but I spent a good part of the day digging post holes in my yard for a deck.

I agree about the 7 Eleven...much nicer than ordinary.

What type of lens(es) were used for yesterday's outing?

#3 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Art Cooler @ Jul 6 2010, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The sky yesterday was just outstanding. Like I remember Texas summer skies from my youth.

Baker Bros. is a lunch fave for me and my wife. Love that "North Beach" sandwich...good stuff.

I'd say you were a hardy soul for walking over to MP in the heat yesterday, but I spent a good part of the day digging post holes in my yard for a deck.

Canon 17-40 4.0L Only. With a polarizing filter. Not a circular polarizing filter, but linear. (ordered the wrong one for $150. and I don't return things due to my stupidity) I need to get a circular. Works better plus works better with camera metering and focusing.
Was a great cloud day.
www.fortworthview.com

#4 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (Brian Luenser @ Jul 6 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Art Cooler @ Jul 6 2010, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Canon 17-40 4.0L Only. With a polarizing filter. Not a circular polarizing filter, but linear. (ordered the wrong one for $150. and I don't return things due to my stupidity) I need to get a circular. Works better plus works better with camera metering and focusing.
Was a great cloud day.

Polarizers make a difference. I used a UV and warming filter (both circular) on my lens to get the "Simpsons" like effect on the DTFW shot you commented on in the other thread. I find our sunlight here in FW during mid-morning to mid-afternoon to be harsh and somewhat cool white-ish in temperature, so I like to warm it up a bit to give it more of a "California" look...the sunlight out there I found during my twelve year stay always seemed warmer than here in Texas (my theory is that it has to do with topography...southern Cal is largely arid with lots of exposed soil, whereas here in DFW we're a "green grass climate". The sky takes on reflected light from the ground, which may determine to an extent the hue of the sky and the sunlight, along with air pollution).

Nevertheless I really like the effect the polarizer had on your shots above. They're sharp and vivid. Two qualities I'm really attracted to in photography.

#5 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

My weekly walk up West 7th. Baker Bros. The only place I really want to eat. Normally Mrs. Luenser walks with me but she wimps out when it is over 100°. I do love the walk. Unlike walking North on Main, there are sidewalks all the way to Mineral Wells. Enjoy walking over the river and views of the city, particularly. Also, as I always say, I think that in the last 2 years West 7th has had more construction than just about any place. (Or at least West of Dubai) It is a changing landscape. Most recently the walk is being effected by The Stayton construction. Was surprised it has become visible the whole way West of Downtown. I Sure am curious about how that complex is going to turn out. Of course I am always ranting about Trinity Plaza maybe having the best view of Fort Worth. (I talk like I have been in it.) Sure could be the Stayton will be the next view champion. I get their brochures all the time but does not have any info about pricing, rules etc... Retirement centers kind of appeal to me in many ways. Not crazy about kids, teens, punks, loud music and menstruating old cars. The possible downside to a retirement place is people have gone dog crazy. The worst thing that can happen to a person (that's right, the very worst thing) is to own a place next to some near deaf seniors with a dog that barks 22 hours a day. They may leave a dog (let's call it, Muffy) in their unit while the go to Florida and somebody lets it out 5 minutes a day. It then barks 24 hours a day. So Seniors yes. Dogs no. The "your dog must not make excessive noise" rule is meaningless for the most part. I am grateful that here at the Tower the walls are nearly soundproof. In 5 years we have never had evidence that we are not the only ones living here. (Party walls)

View from the 7th Street bridge.

I had to check to make sure they did not leave the keys in this new Ford Taurus. (I want it)

Stayton visible from Baker Bros

www.fortworthview.com

#6 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:00 PM

Mmmm...Baker Brothers. I was just there on Thursday, had my usual North Beach sandwich. Meal in itself.

Later in the afternoon I spent a little time in the Police and Firefighters Memorial along West 7th. I think I spent more time reading the plaques along the winding sidewalk leading to the sculpture and main plaza for the memorial than I did taking photos. The plaques and the memorial moved me more than I expected. Maybe because in a way I'm a "first responder" of sorts in my line of work, and actually have been involved evacuating buildings that were on fire. Every one of these men honored in this memorial likely did not wake up the morning of their death expecting that day to be their last. You just never know. I'm glad we have this memorial in our city.

#7 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

From near the top of the Burnett Plaza Building, I present these two shots. Really the same view with 2 different lenses. (17-40 4.0L and 400 5.6L)

Posted Image

And of course the Montgomery Plaza. Great building, then and now. Really better now than ever. (Much more interesting with the inviting tunnel drawing you in.)

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#8 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

Re: the first photo in posting #7 of the long distance view looking west: I find it interesting how one's vantage point can so dramatically change one's perception of the city and its size. I have never cared as much for views that look away from downtown Fort Worth as much as I do that either look towards downtown or inward upon downtown as the views looking away, to me, make the city look so small and fragile.

By contrast, when you are walking down West 7th from the Cultural District, the looks and feels big, vibrant and bustling. And if you get in a car and drive the entire distance seen in the photograph, it seems like the city sprawls on and on with all the enormous complexity of human activity and endeavors that go along with it. But from a skyscraper - suddenly it is not as large as it seems. And as far as major metropolitan areas go, ours is one of the more spread out. And viewed from an airplane traveling across country, the Metroplex appears to be but a tiny little oasis in a vast expanse of rural emptiness.

And in the view of Fort Worth looking west, you don't even get to see the sprawl the way you do from a skyscraper in downtown Dallas looking to the north or northwest. All the trees make what is, in fact, a prairie look like a small forest.

Of course, such things are a matter of taste. Those who don't particularly care for the city might prefer seeing it minimized and obscured by lots of trees. I do very much enjoy being out in the country and seeing empty land and trees and such. But, personally, when I am in a city, I like to be able to see lots of buildings and lots of hustle and bustle.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#9 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:56 PM

Yesterday, my wife and I walked around the Trinity River until dark. Of course we walked to Montgomery Plaza first for a salad at that place I won't mention. Was a beautiful day with the cool, dry, clean air blowing out of the North. I took a few shots to share.
I took plenty of Trinity River pics I will post on a Trinity Thread.

The Police and Firefighters Memorial Park was pretty well flooded. (Yet another 3"+ rainfall) I hope the trees will be OK.

Posted Image

Chuey's is looking good at So7. (Best hot sauce the World has ever known) I eat at the Haltom City location all the time.
Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#10 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

I'm pretty sure the Chuy's at So7 is associated with the Austin based Tex-Mex chain, not the authentic Mexican food Chuy's that have been around this area for years.

#11 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

I'm pretty sure the Chuy's at So7 is associated with the Austin based Tex-Mex chain, not the authentic Mexican food Chuy's that have been around this area for years.

Pretty sure you are correct. Guy at work set me straight yesterday. It did not make sense to me. Seems like a whole different kind of a restaurant. I sure bet I am not the first person confused. The place near my work is on Belknap and 377. Used to be a Dixie House and has a huge "life-like" bull/cow on a sign. (Even less of a farmer than a restaurant expert) I do know I love Mexican Food. :cheez:
www.fortworthview.com

#12 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

A pretty day for walking to Mongomery Plaza. (I am somehow addicted to the salads and sandwhiches of a certain restaurant there.)

Posted Image

These highrise retirement centers will surely be nice. I am not too crazy about their overly stylized shape on top.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I am crazy about the looks of this Chuy's. I give the looks of this place an A+
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#13 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

Nice and clear.

#14 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

I haven't been back to the Stayton for a progress photo since this past summer. Although I can see it from the Carter, it's nice to see the progress from closer up. I also happen to like the stylized top. The buildings would be rather dull without it.

#15 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

I haven't been back to the Stayton for a progress photo since this past summer. Although I can see it from the Carter, it's nice to see the progress from closer up. I also happen to like the stylized top. The buildings would be rather dull without it.

I am glad you like the roofs Art. I hope most people do. It may grow on me. Mostly I like anything that is not boring. Sometimes when something is pretty crazy looking and it clearly has no function, I like it less. I like the looks of the buildings themselves. I think they would have been more handsome with a bit Less upper "flair".

The biggest mystery to me is that the buildings, though offset, mostly get in the way of each other having a view of the City. (Understanding that "view" is the whole deal for me, but not for others.) I am still curious about the pricing on these units and how they compare to Trinity Terrace. Also can I check my wife into that retirement home? No, there is nothing wrong with her, just wondering if I could check her in early...
www.fortworthview.com

#16 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:44 PM

I like exteme-West 7th Street. Views from Himount toward downtown:

Posted Image

Posted Image
My blog: Doohickie

#17 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:40 AM

Doohickie, I like that view as well. I used to work out at the FAC on the UNTHSC Campus. From the entry to the FAC, there is a similar view of DTFW. It reminds me in a subtle way of a view one might encounter in San Francisco. Someday I'll get over there and get a shot of it.

#18 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

Walking to my favorite restaurant. Still want to go to Chuy's but have never seen it when it wasn't too busy. I never eat anywhere where there are actually people inside. Also wanted to eat at The Love Shack. But I never eat anywhere there is live music. (Even though it was like the best music I ever heard out in the parking lot. Don't know who the guy was but almost violated my last rule by going in.) I am frequently at Montgomery Plaza at 1pm on Sunday as that is when I have free time. All the restaurants are packed. Could be it is all the after-church crowd and these places are vacant all week long. I am starting to think the economy is turning around. People look to be spending money. Sales are hitting records at my business. (I am now a small minority owner of course)

Posted Image

Love Shack restaurant (Back side)
Posted Image

Saw how this guy had a special parking space for this hot sports car. (the hottest maybe)
Once you pay a half million dollars for a car you can't park next to us plebes. (Mclaren Mercedes) 210 mph Funny. I saw TWO of these cars today on my walk. Yikes.
Posted Image

This guy thinks he is better than us. (Of course he is right)
Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#19 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

Walking to my favorite restaurant. Still want to go to Chuy's but have never seen it when it wasn't too busy. I never eat anywhere where there are actually people inside. Also wanted to eat at The Love Shack. But I never eat anywhere there is live music. (Even though it was like the best music I ever heard out in the parking lot. Don't know who the guy was but almost violated my last rule by going in.) I am frequently at Montgomery Plaza at 1pm on Sunday as that is when I have free time. All the restaurants are packed. Could be it is all the after-church crowd and these places are vacant all week long. I am starting to think the economy is turning around. People look to be spending money. Sales are hitting records at my business. (I am now a small minority owner of course)

Posted Image

Love Shack restaurant (Back side)
Posted Image

Saw how this guy had a special parking space for this hot sports car. (the hottest maybe)
Once you pay a half million dollars for a car you can't park next to us plebes. (Mclaren Mercedes) 210 mph Funny. I saw TWO of these cars today on my walk. Yikes.
Posted Image

This guy thinks he is better than us. (Of course he is right)
Posted Image

Looks like a baby Bat-mobile.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#20 dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:hockey, cars, architecture, photography, everything and anything apple, medicine.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

like the pics ... it looks like you have a polarizing filter on the lens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users