#1 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:07 AM

(Happy new year everybody!) ;)

Two words: Oy vey. I'm hoping last night's "block party" at the Fort Worth Club isn't a sign of things to come because it was embarrassingly horrible and unorganized. Allow me to lament, mostly for fun but all true observations:

1. The moment we entered, let the hierarchy begin! They segregated the "lower tenants" (floors 6 through 19) and the "upper tenants" with COLOR CODED NAME BADGES! So you can know who not to socialize with?

2. Hosted by WFAA's "The Why Guy"! The awkward early morning reporter who does unfunny bits like talking to llama farmers, etc. A fitting name, because everyone was asking "WHY is he hosting this??" God bless Witherspoon :blink:

3. Poor Tony Landrum, who during his speech had to practically yell over all the rude dummies in the back who didn't care about what he had to say

4. If you wanted to meet people that will be on your floor, you had to scour the room interrupting peoples' conversations so you can see what floor they'll be on. They could have seated everyone at assigned tables by floor so at least you could meet your true neighbors.

I know it's just a lil' party and I should be more appreciative and less bitter ;) but it was more or less a waste of time, with the exception of a small little blurb Mr. Landrum mentioned that I will expand upon in a new thread. Nonetheless, the excitement was certainly in the air now that the move-in dates have been pushed back to March 1.. whee!

#2 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:49 AM

My wife and I really enjoyed ourselves at the Tower Party last night. We thought they did a great job. We met 200 of the nicest people we have ever met.
The gathering far exceeded our expectations. The information handed out was informative, if redundant. (We were told back in April that the first residents would move in on March 1)

I was one of those people that wound up in the very back that may have done too much talking. We could not hear a thing, only because the speakers were not pointing in our direction. Because we could hear nothing, it was very hard not to introduce ourselves to our new neighbors. I resisted talking at first, but then couldn't resist. I never even whisper in a theater, but meeting our floor mates was too exciting.

And the colored tags were just to help people find their neighbors. I am on the 31st floor wishing I had a second bathroom. People know right off, I am no better than anybody.

I am a little concerned about the new building next door blocking the view from the 5th floor deck. There is only a view in 2 directions now, from the pool.
www.fortworthview.com

#3 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:02 AM

And the colored tags were just to help people find their neighbors.  I am on the 31st floor wishing I had a second bathroom.  People know right off, I am no better than anybody.

View Post

hm.. well, perhaps that was their intention, but separating the population into groups of TWO, people on 6 through 19 and people on 20+ hardly narrows the group down to actual neighbors. We met one other person from our floor. All I was saying is it could have been organized a little better and run a little more smooth. I'm not too crazy about the FWC as a venue either :blink:

I am a little concerned about the new building next door blocking the view from the 5th floor deck.  There is only a view in 2 direction now, from the pool.

View Post

Yeah, funny how he brought that up after we're all committed to the units, huh? And, of course, people on the lower floors might not enjoy another bldg (or rooftop air conditioning units) right outside their windows. This really will all come down to what corner of the square they put that bldg, assuming it doesn't take up the entire city block.

#4 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:24 AM

I found it rather amusing, not sure if pulling a 36 hour day at work had anything to do with it, was rather happy just to be out of the computer bunkers... :blink:

As for parties: Now I know what all those extra fees were for. AND what’s the silver longhorn thingy used for? Keys? Change? Burritos?

Thought Bill did a much better job hosting by the way. Met a couple of people from my floor but none of my next door neighbors.

I’m really curious what the lofts are going to look like, go for and if they're really just 6 stories.

#5 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:44 PM

As for parties: Now I know what all those extra fees were for. AND what’s the silver longhorn thingy used for? Keys? Change? Burritos?

View Post

big fat rails of cocaine?

oh, by the way, I was scanning the tags looking for you but I never did find ye.. I suppose we'll run into each other at any subsequent suareés in the future

I’m really curious what the lofts are going to look like, go for and if they're really just 6 stories.

View Post

Yeah, did you catch how he said it'd be 8 stories and the abruptly changed it to 6? i thought nothing of it but my wife found that suspicious :blink: .. but you know, Tony has done some phenomenal work (re: new bank one bldg), so we can assume it'll look pretty sharp -- and as a bonus, it would undoubtedly bring more street level stuff-to-do!

#6 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:04 PM

If they’re to go in that vacant parking lot just across Throckmorton; a loft / artist’s studio / gallery of sorts would fit rather nicely if Texas codes would allow it anyway. I saw some really cool configurations in San Diego where the upstairs were living areas the front of the first floor was 400 to 600 square foot retail space with windowed exposures and a street entrance and the first floor back end was garage or manufacturing space.

Might be a bit too progressive for Texas but if it would fit anywhere it would be Fort Worth…

Personally I prefer a loft layout to an everyday apartment configuration.

In the real estate world it's always just a little bit of bad news at a time; first it's a small building then just 6.... or 8 stories, then; If there were people stacked 4 and 5 deep for each unit like it was in the first phase of the Tower it would be very hard not to go to 12 or 20 stories. Thing is, if he doesn't build it there what's to stop someone else, possibly higher?

I didn't see any Lobster name tags, go figure?

I wonder if the 20th and above crowd considered a no elevator fire drill; I wonder if they have some of those mobile defib units? :blink:

#7 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:26 AM

6 or 8 stories - either is better than looking onto 400' x 400' of asphault. And having more neighbors should be another positive step toward achieving a real neighborhood feel. I want a good, independent, open-late cafe down here! I'm hoping that the arrival of all of you guys will help that along.

We need a good n'hood hang-out, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users