New crane up yesterday for next phases of Greek village

#52 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

Does anyone know or understand what the current requested zoning overlay is requested by TCU? 

I couldn't find any information on it other than there is a zoning request by TCU and neighbors felt it was too vague so it was continued.  Curious what area it covers and what it might mean they have planned.

#53 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:04 AM

More buildings is what TCU wants with more flexibility to build them without interference.

For example, TCU wants to build a 5 story admin building in the parking lot next to McDonald's

#54 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:07 AM

Does anyone know or understand what the current requested zoning overlay is requested by TCU? 

I couldn't find any information on it other than there is a zoning request by TCU and neighbors felt it was too vague so it was continued.  Curious what area it covers and what it might mean they have planned.

The portion of the Zoning Commission public meeting pertaining to TCU's case can be viewed here (assuming this link works right): http://fortworthgov....&meta_id=327891

I do not have firsthand knowledge of the statements on this case as I recused myself due to also being employed by TCU, but hopefully the meeting video will help in some way.

--

Kara B.

#55 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

Welcome back!

#56 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

Welcome back!

Thanks, JBB! I figure that since I'm involved in city goings-on again (in a different capacity this time) I could pop in to help when I can. :)

--

Kara B.

#57 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

TCU's zoning case is again on this month's Zoning Commission agenda, having been continued from last month.

As is always the case, the agenda is publicly posted: http://fortworthtexa...148f1a348ea.pdf

--

Kara B.

#58 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:56 AM

Welcome back!

Thanks, JBB! I figure that since I'm involved in city goings-on again (in a different capacity this time) I could pop in to help when I can. :)

Tell us more about this new involvement?!

#59 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:51 AM

http://the109.org/20...-area-near-tcu/

I found this a few minutes ago.  Looks interesting for the Berry St. development.

The meeting will discuss the future of the Berry/University area including a possible Commuter rail station for the TEX rail project. The proposed train station would sit at the corner of Berry Street and Cleburne Road.

Is a TCU TexRail station still in the table?

#60 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:31 AM

Volare, the answer to your question would be in the link that was provided for the Zoning Case Agenda.

#61 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

I found this a few minutes ago.  Looks interesting for the Berry St. development.

The meeting will discuss the future of the Berry/University area including a possible Commuter rail station for the TEX rail project. The proposed train station would sit at the corner of Berry Street and Cleburne Road.

There's a station planned for Berry and Cleburne Rd., but there's no timeline and no plan to fund a southern extension at this point.

#62 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

There's a station planned for Berry and Cleburne Rd., but there's no timeline and no plan to fund a southern extension at this point.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I'd like to see TEXRail focus on getting the southern leg done in segments. With the northern half, the main focus was always DFW too Downtown. With the Southern leg, there's not really much going on beyond TCU. It's only about 4 miles from the Berry Station too T&P station, but the two stops both have prime opportunity for TOD and are already fairly dense and I believe could support decent ridership. Connecting 3 of the biggest urban neighborhoods would really make a lot of sense to me... I'd like to see it done ASAP. 

#63 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

Volare, the answer to your question would be in the link that was provided for the Zoning Case Agenda.

:swg:

--

Kara B.

#64 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

:swg:

If you don't know his real name, let's just say he's a Zoning Commission  member.

My blog: Doohickie

#65 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

the commish

#66 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

Austin55, I agree with your perspective.  TCU could use a commuter rail station nearby, especially considering that the ridership could be good during the school year (many students don't have access to cars and like to go downtown).  TCU could always add a shuttle to the station for those students who found the walk to the station long; however, FWTA does have a bus line that goes along Berry Street (and runs every 30 minutes on weekdays and 60 minutes on weekends) in that area. That said, I oftentimes park in the Sandage lot and do find the walk from there to the west side of campus to be reasonable, though the Sandage lot is only halfway between University and the proposed station site.

However many TCU students do like to go to West 7th to hang out, and some also go to University Park Village to go shopping (though most just shop online).  FWTA also has a bus line in that area also (up to Lancaster), though it only runs every 60 minutes.  If it would be economically feasible, the FWTA could also extend service along line 7 (the line serving TCU, UPV, and West 7th) during the school year to run every 30 minutes during times when usage is more likely (such as weekends).

I also think that is it worthwhile to note that there seems to be a "stigma" associated with bus use in Fort Worth (with exceptions like the Molly the Trolley service downtown) as the network has been built around the needs of lower-income populations in the Fort Worth area for so long.  Many of the bus lines do seem to cater to this population, including based on the frequency that the buses run, as the best bus service is to areas with lower-income populations (Northside, large portions of the south and east sides, as well as Como and Las Vegas Trail).  While I fully understand their needs in terms of access to grocery stores and healthcare (among others), it will be essential to fight this stigma in order to increase bus usage among those from middle-class and higher backgrounds (which of course includes the vast majority of TCU students). 

Many Fort Worth attractions are located near bus line 7 (Downtown, West 7th, Cultural District, and especially the Fort Worth Zoo, University Park Village, the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens, and TCU), which runs from downtown FW (at the Intermodal Transportation Center) to the neighborhoods south of TCU (Bluebonnet Circle area).  Line 7 is also one of the few FWTA bus lines that does not serve largely lower-income neighborhoods.  In spite of what this line serves, line 7 only runs every 60 minutes, though it must be noted that people are more likely to spend a lot of time at the attractions served by this line.  That said, West 7th and the Cultural District is also served by a "core" line along Camp Bowie and West 7th Street.  Once TEXRail starts connecting people from the airport with downtown FW, I could foresee a greater need for service along this line if tourists (and yes, TCU students) could be encouraged to use the buses.  And I do agree that TEXRail could be extended down to a station at Berry and Cleburne, with perhaps another station near Rosedale to serve the medical district.

Here is a link to the FWTA system map so that you can see what I am talking about.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#67 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

TCU could always add a shuttle to the station for those students who found the walk to the station long

As long as they don't try and shoot anyone....

• JBB likes this

#68 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

TCU could always add a shuttle to the station for those students

I hear they're shooting for more shuttle service at TCU.

I'm all for TEX Rail expanding southward, but I wonder how much it would really benefit TCU. TCU isn't a commuter school and I can't see them having much desire to become more of one. It would have to force a culture change since so many of their students have vehicles.

Edit: Dang it. Austin beat me to the joke while I was typing that.

#69 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

TCU could always add a shuttle to the station for those students

I hear they're shooting for more shuttle service at TCU.

I'm all for TEX Rail expanding southward, but I wonder how much it would really benefit TCU. TCU isn't a commuter school and I can't see them having much desire to become more of one. It would have to force a culture change since so many of their students have vehicles.

Edit: Dang it. Austin beat me to the joke while I was typing that.

Is the reason many students have vehicles because there are no reliable forms of public transportation nearby or is there no need because the students typically come from more affluent backgrounds and riding pub trans is looked down upon?

I believe it is the former. I think if you build it they will use it. Also it would potentially help ease teaffic during gamedays as many residents and fans would most likely use it to get to the campus.

#70 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:23 PM

I believe it is the former. I think if you build it they will use it. Also it would potentially help ease teaffic during gamedays as many residents and fans would most likely use it to get to the campus.

Went to a TCU/University of Minnesota game a few years back in St. Paul. They have a light rail  line that goes right by the stadium. We used it to go over the game area and eat ahead of time. But it was a close game, meaning everyone was still in their seats at the end. The lines for the light rail were a disaster.

Fortunately they have robust bike share and we were able to locate a station and made the short 4-5 mile ride back to our hotel in the dark via bike paths into downtown. 

I would not count on public transport for any sort of event like that were you are looking at the possibility 40-50k people leaving at once. But what are we really talking about? 6-7 home games. Maybe 2-3 of them are close enough that the crowd leaves at once. For smaller events like basketball or baseball, it would be great.

#71 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:20 PM

A while back, an online article said FWTA cut route 7's frequency from 30 to 60 minutes during the recession. The last 3 evening routes were also cut.

Unfortunately, I can't find the article now.

-Dylan

#72 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

TCU is now about 45% out of state students.  Many of these students do not bring a car, at least for the first year.  5% of the students are from other countries.  All of them depend on friends if they want to leave the immediate area.  It is a shame there is not a trolley/light rail service going down University Dr. connecting the school with West 7th and downtown.  I think it would be a well used route. At least an extension of rail down 8th Ave. to Berry would be helpful.

#73 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

I've personally asked a T staff member to make a more frequent route 7 a priority.

#74 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

I didn't realize that so many students on campus were without a car. I agree that TEX Rail might not be the answer to all of their transit needs.

#75 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:46 AM

Just looking at the map.... and the train station.... It all makes me wonder if TCU would or could ever envelop Paschal High School

#76 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Tamtagon, when you say envelop, do you mean surround, or purchase it and utilize it as a part of the campus?

#77 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:42 PM

TCU at one time was going to purchase the campus from FWISD--the deal fell thru and is no longer an option.

The school will grow around it and eventually on the south side of Berry as well.

The long term goal is grow the school to closer to 15k students both grad and undergrad

#78 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:08 PM

Just looking at the map.... and the train station.... It all makes me wonder if TCU would or could ever envelop Paschal High School

I view a map too and your speculation is plausible.  I think PHS, as are other campuses, is due a major upgrade or even replacement.  Certain campuses, particularly AHHS, Poly, Tech and NS are architectural gems; not so much PHS. 

Selling PHS to TCU could be a windfall for FWISD. 

#79 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:18 PM

Paschal may not be an architectural gem, but it has had millions of dollars in additions and renovations in recent years. It would have to be one heck of a windfall.

#80 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

....The long term goal is grow the school to closer to 15k students both grad and undergrad

What academic areas is TCU hoping to expand or increase its curriculum beyond its current offerings?

#81 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

Youngalum, I am curious about the deal that fell through for TCU to purchase the Paschal Campus.  I went to Paschal (Class of 1976) and I never heard of that.  I also grew up and live not too far away and still have not heard this.  My next question is how and where would a replacement school be constructed?  Another concern that I have is with the explosive growth of TCU.  All of the preservationists in town have been told by the university that the expansion would not go beyond certain points.  Surrounding Paschal was beyond those boundaries and south of Berry is, as well. 

As for Paschal not being an architectural gem like AHHS, Poly, Tech and NS, the original school building actually is.  However, I will admit that the additions have covered up the original building so much that it could never be considered as such because it can't be seen from the street.  There is only one location on Lowden where part of the original building can be seen.  Also, the building could never be designated as historic due to the construction of all of the additions around it.  For the record, the original building was designed by Wiley G. Clarkson (Sinclair Bldg., First Methodist Church, NS High).  The Mid-Century Modern additions, which are now also covered up by more subsequent additions was done by Preston Geren.

#82 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:55 AM

Tamtagon, when you say envelop, do you mean surround, or purchase it and utilize it as a part of the campus?

Nothing too specific really, I'm thinking TCU based activities as the foundation for traffic with the potential train station Berry@Cleburne@Lowden with Bowie as a thru-street (again) from Cleburne could be the spine of expansion as the University grows. I don't know what TCU wants to become in the future. The athletic programs seems to be a priority, and I sure like that, but what roll is planned with extended education (maybe a community college cooperative 2.0)? the business school is a big deal, and tech-worker schoolin' is in super high demand *amazon*? and research programs?... but how about the high minded, high brow liberal arts? All the people seeking the degree plan that makes them the most money so life can be enjoyed with extra disposable income -- the reward they seek it the ability to read good stories, listen to good music, and look at good art.... and those are the degree plans with a dubious ROI that are so easily overlooked and ignored... and being just down the road from all the hospital and doctor offices, TCU health care programs could really expand.

Anyway, I guess I'd like TCU to envelop Paschal in such a way to fill up the passenger train station students, teachers and those connected to education.

#83 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

I guess I am not the norm.  I'm sure you know that I like to ride bicycles, but I also like to walk.  I really don't find the distance from University Drive to Cleburne Road that much of a walk.  Actually, yesterday, I had a meeting at TCU and because I'm not a student, I parked on the street, at the southeastern corner of the campus, close to Paschal, and I enjoyed the walk.  Bowie would make an excellent spine, if cut through.  FWISD has also done enough of street closings around there since I attended high school.  My big concern would be where a replacement campus would be built.  I would think the attendance numbers would dictate the replacement campus to be somewhere near the current school.  Since I live near and grew up in the area, I don't see where that is physically possible.

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my impression that the rail station was actually supposed to be built south of Berry and Paschal, at more like Frazier, W. Devitt, and Cleburne Road.

#84 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:21 AM

The deal for Paschal fell thru before the additions to the school was completed.  The new school location I don't remember where.

TCU will build a new school of music at the location of the former strip center, next to the church on berry.  Fundraising is ongoing for the project that costs a ton. 

TCU would like an on campus medical facility for the new medical school.  It is likely not to be the main campus for the medical school but an addition to it as they are rumors of a facility in the medical district.

TCU is considering a pharmacy school.

The main driver will be on campus housing as they want to try and accommodate students on campus till their senior year.  So those buildings will have to be built.

So if the long term goal is to have 15k students, the outgrowth alone of educational facilities and dorms will dictate growth.  The only places to grow are east towards Cleburne Road and south of Berry.  Each growth area has lower valued property and plenty of that property is already owned by TCU thru various entities and trusts.

I try and find the recent master plan for TCU and post it.  It is fascinating and long term will transform the berry corridor.

#85 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

Trustees finished their meeting today that meet since Wednesday.

The following projects have been approved and funded

New Amon Carter east side--two new levels that consist of 1500 club seats and 20 suites, New much larger video board and enclosing the north endzone--construction in Spring 2018

2 new resident halls in Worth Hills--construction to start in spring 2018

New Fine Arts building that will be 33,000 sq foot in the place on Berry that I said was going to be a music hall--construction to start in 2/18

A new music hall that will seat 700 plus associated practice and classroom spaces, behind the current music hall--construction spring 2018

Finally Bellaire Drive from Stadium to Rogers (where the McDonald's is located) will be permanently closed for pedestrians--the city will rework the intersection of stadium and Berry for better traffic control, etc.--construction spring 2018

#86 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

I view a map too and your speculation is plausible.  I think PHS, as are other campuses, is due a major upgrade or even replacement.  Certain campuses, particularly AHHS, Poly, Tech and NS are architectural gems; not so much PHS. 

Selling PHS to TCU could be a windfall for FWISD.

renamerusk, I just don't see FWISD selling the Paschal property to TCU as anything remotely possible at this point in time.  FWISD is finishing some major additions to PHS right now, with more changes to come stemming from funding now authorized through the successful bond election.  Furthermore, FWISD is too invested in the current Paschal campus to sell it to TCU, and there is little space to build a new high school in this part of town.  Not to mention the fact that Paschal will continue to grow with new housing developments, particularly in the Tanglewood zone (not to mention the areas between 8th and 35W that also feed into Paschal and are ripe for gentrification). 

Though in terms of other FWISD-owned properties in the area, TCU could try to purchase the Professional Development Center (PDC) on McCart.  But I wouldn't see the PDC property becoming much more than a commuter parking lot if the School of Music gets a facility where the Sandage/Berry lot is now.  As a TCU commuter student myself, the existing commuter lots are already jam-packed at peak class times, but it must be noted that the "commuter" lots are also shared with TCU faculty and staff as well.  As the furthest commuter lot, Sandage is one of the few lots that doesn't get full at peak class times (along with the lots north of the football stadium, which are even further from the core "academic" area of campus).

I just don't see TCU's campus going east of Forest Park.  If they are to expand the campus, I would feel that they would be better focusing on areas south of Berry so as to give TCU a greater north-south extent, as TCU is mainly oriented along an east-to-west axis at this point in time.  Some of the newer privately-owned, off-campus student housing facilities are located south of Berry as well (Loft Vue, University House).  Adding facilities on the south side of Berry just makes more sense than trying to expand east even more.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#87 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

TCU has some storage facilities in the industrial area bounded by McCart, Seminary, Stadium & Granbury. That area may have an interesting future, low density, presumably cheaper land (being industrial), large area. 

#88 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

I view a map too and your speculation is plausible. 

I think PHS, as are other campuses, is due a major upgrade or even replacement.  Certain campuses, particularly AHHS, Poly, Tech and NS are architectural gems; not so much PHS......Selling PHS to TCU could be a windfall for FWISD. 

Trustees finished their meeting today that meet since Wednesday.

The following projects have been approved and funded

New Amon Carter east side--two new levels that consist of 1500 club seats and 20 suites, New much larger video board and enclosing the north endzone--construction in Spring 2018

2 new resident halls in Worth Hills--construction to start in spring 2018

New Fine Arts building that will be 33,000 sq foot in the place on Berry that I said was going to be a music hall--construction to start in 2/18

A new music hall that will seat 700 plus associated practice and classroom spaces, behind the current music hall--construction spring 2018

Finally Bellaire Drive from Stadium to Rogers (where the McDonald's is located) will be permanently closed for pedestrians--the city will rework the intersection of stadium and Berry for better traffic control, etc.--construction spring 2018

This is an eye opener.

TCU (10k) is smaller than Baylor (16k), Tech (37k), UTA (39k), SMU (11k) and UNT (31k); yet TCU has a larger endowment than any one of the fore mention universities.  It also has the smallest campus and will need to expand eastward to reach 15k.

TCU is, now more than ever, a school coveted by students from out of state. Success on the gridiron has given it valuable name recognition. 

TCU is definitely in an upward projection and with the deep pockets, it is very plausible to see the campus straddling Berry Street east and north to Cleburne Road.  PHS is vunerable; but that is not such a bad thing if FWISD can cash in, build a new state of the art campus for PHS.

FWISD possesses some very marketable properties, Farrington and PHS.  If the proceeds from selling property can enrich the entire district, than FWISD should certainly consider offers.

#89 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

I think I have expressed my concerns earlier in this topic, but there really isn't much space available on the South/Southwest side of town large enough to build a new high school campus.  That's why I don't see TCU purchasing the Paschal Campus. 

I also have a problem with TCU expanding south of Berry Street.  There are some undesignated "historic" neighborhoods in the immediate area south of Berry Street that should be preserved.  The school has already demolished some really nice homes between Lubbock and McCart in the area north of Berry.  Plus, there is a block of Mid-Century Modern homes in the 2700 Block of Sandage that should be preserved. 

As for Farrington Field, I believe there are some deed restrictions on that site that will not allow the FWISD to sell the property.  Also, as a preservationist, I would hate to see Farrington Field demolished.  After all, it is our only Art Deco Stadium left.  If you remember, TCU demolished almost all of Amon Carter Stadium.

#90 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:18 PM

I would not like to see TCU expand south of Berry; nor do I think that TCU would see that area as a viable section of its campus due to the traffic issues it would present. Pushing to the edge of PHS is inevitable.  TCU does seem to be in an expansive mode; it probably desires to be equal in size to Baylor University.  Adding new schools and expanding existing ones are evidently its strategy to grow larger.

A new PHS could be built  (S) Berry x (E) Forest Park - Eminent Domain?

There is already a recently announced agreement to use Farrington land for parking.  FF could generate income with the construction of a garage to be used by nearby businesses without violating deed restrictions?

#91 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:21 AM

I think I have expressed my concerns earlier in this topic, but there really isn't much space available on the South/Southwest side of town large enough to build a new high school campus.  That's why I don't see TCU purchasing the Paschal Campus.

I agree with you completely with regards to TCU passing up the Paschal property.  That said, there is some land within the Edwards Ranch property that is still empty and might be suitable for new schools.  Something in that empty space could work for the planned Tanglewood "reliever" elementary school, but you could fit in a new high school and middle school (to relieve PHS and AHHS, as well as McLean and Monnig) somewhere on the remaining Edwards Ranch land too.  Trimble Tech could also become a zoned high school as well.

TCU is going to need more land to expand, so it's just a matter of where you can get that land.  One thing that could be done could involve taking commercial properties on the south side of Berry Street and building new mixed-use properties where the bottom floors could accommodate retail, with academic space on the upper floor(s).  I believe Texas Wesleyan did something similar when they redeveloped the south side of Rosedale just across from their campus, where certain academic uses were mixed in with other retail.  Of course, with this being TCU, a similar redevelopment along Berry would have to be on a much larger scale than what happened with Rosedale and Wesleyan.  But you wouldn't have to go much further past Berry Street if this were done right, and you could spare the neighborhoods to the south from TCU's expanding footprint.

Sydney B. Claridge

#92 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

I'd never realized TCU is so tightly packed with the neighborhoods. SMU will have an easier time expanding into Dallas.

I wonder if Farrington Field would have ever been considered for Art Deco expansion and use by TCU football. Too late now I supposed! Amon Cater Stadium downgraded to practice field might be blasphemous. haha

Also would seem TCU Health Care degree plan growth would need to be with UNT or perhaps on the other side of the highway with all the big hospitals, where there appears to be quite a bit more redevelopable land. 

So glad to know TCU is not overlooking Music and Art. I understand and agree with plans for the big state schools and emerging state schools to dedicate resources to expand research (get to that Tier One Level!) and education for technical workers etc, but it's a folly if we do not also expand the platform for creative education. I tried to be an art student so long ago, I went to NTSU not UNT.... and that school has just recently begun a new art building. Whatever about all that....

All these things will happen,though, it's only been two or three generations since the South Central US has held enough people and jobs and stuff people like to gain the tight and bright societal and cultural accouterments like strong liberal arts programs across the region. 

#93 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

I agree with you completely with regards to TCU passing up the Paschal property.  That said, there is some land within the Edwards Ranch property that is still empty and might be suitable for new schools.  Something in that empty space could work for the planned Tanglewood "reliever" elementary school, but you could fit in a new high school and middle school (to relieve PHS and AHHS, as well as McLean and Monnig) somewhere on the remaining Edwards Ranch land too.  Trimble Tech could also become a zoned high school as well.

TCU is going to need more land to expand, so it's just a matter of where you can get that land.  One thing that could be done could involve taking commercial properties on the south side of Berry Street and building new mixed-use properties where the bottom floors could accommodate retail, with academic space on the upper floor(s).  I believe Texas Wesleyan did something similar when they redeveloped the south side of Rosedale just across from their campus, where certain academic uses were mixed in with other retail.  Of course, with this being TCU, a similar redevelopment along Berry would have to be on a much larger scale than what happened with Rosedale and Wesleyan.  But you wouldn't have to go much further past Berry Street if this were done right, and you could spare the neighborhoods to the south from TCU's expanding footprint.

The natural migration for TCU will be to the east; the southside of Berry St and south of there is not a contiguous flow of the campus; and for that reason, I don't anticipate that move. As earlier identified, TCU has already acquire or has first right of refusal for properties south of Cantey and North of Berry.  PHS is safe only because of McCart and of Forest Park.  However, PHS will remain a possibility as a future site for a multilevel garage and a support facility for TCU in the future.

The southside of Berry Street is commercial and could also be cleared and used to build a new PHS.  There is absolutely no need to touch or involve AHHS in this situation.  I am interested in the idea that FWISD could create campuses (10-12 grades) that are curriculum tailored to areas of study that prepare students for non-collegiate careers as is being done in Germany; and a campus that would prepare students for going on to college if that is there desire.

FWISD can have its cake and eat it too if it uses the proceeds if TCU dips into its endowment ($1.5b) and makes FWISD an offer that it can not refuse.

#94 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

I think I've mentioned this before, but I'd like to see TEXRail focus on getting the southern leg done in segments. With the northern half, the main focus was always DFW too Downtown. With the Southern leg, there's not really much going on beyond TCU. It's only about 4 miles from the Berry Station too T&P station, but the two stops both have prime opportunity for TOD and are already fairly dense and I believe could support decent ridership. Connecting 3 of the biggest urban neighborhoods would really make a lot of sense to me... I'd like to see it done ASAP. 

Replied on the TEX Rail thread: http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4787&p=107267 

TCU is now about 45% out of state students.  Many of these students do not bring a car, at least for the first year.  5% of the students are from other countries.  All of them depend on friends if they want to leave the immediate area.  It is a shame there is not a trolley/light rail service going down University Dr. connecting the school with West 7th and downtown.  I think it would be a well used route. At least an extension of rail down 8th Ave. to Berry would be helpful.

I was skeptical of the statement that many TCU students don't have a car, but I stand corrected. According to this TCU360 article, in 2015 there were only 2,375 student parking passes issued, out of a total enrollment of roughly 10,000. That's probably not precisely equal to the number of students with cars - there are probably some who live close enough that they can walk to campus and don't need a parking permit - but still, that's much fewer than I expected.

I am interested in the idea that FWISD could create campuses (10-12 grades) that are curriculum tailored to areas of study that prepares students for non-collegiate careers as is done in Germany; and a campus that would prepare students for going on to college if that is there desire.

Replied on the STEM & VPA thread: http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5393#entry107265 

#95 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

The new east side expansion of ACS stadium will cost $100 million per another TCU release today

#96 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

I think a new Paschal campus could be built along8th Ave. on the western side as there appears to be a lot of open land or potential purchasing of some of those business along that stretch.

I would like to see the campus extend past Berry along University towards Bluebonnet Circle. Buying the land where Kroger is as well as the 7-Eleven / Bank site would be a start. You could make that area a really cool campus Crossroads because currently it feels like a termination and too disconnected from the campus. Buying land towards Bluebonnet Circle to include possibly everything on both sides of University to at least Benbrook Blvd would help with connecting the Circle better than it currently is with the campus.

#97 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

The new east side expansion of ACS stadium will cost $100 million per another TCU release today

Nice!

https://www.diehards...GS-1_xsfrtf.jpg

#98 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:30 PM

TCU-NE-exterior_vkqbvh.jpg

TCU-Club-Level_rhp3kz.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#99 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

These two loss seasons are really starting to drive me crazy! I want to see TCU in the play-offs

#100 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

Tearing down more homes for more parking

http://www.fortworth...003c7365e3.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users