540 replies to this topic

#501 Electricron

Electricron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:17 PM

OK, so like I thought, not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison to measure the DCTA line against the Tex Rail line. The Carrollton to Lewisville portion of DCTA is analagous to the Tower 18 to Grapevine portion of Tex Rail, though. Since that segment has been DART ROW for many years, I doubt that was a major source of the difficulty this project has faced.

Not in the construction stage because they will just basically replace the existing tracks with new, adding stations platforms, and more double tracks for passing sidings. But once operations start, sharing this section of mostly single track with freight trains will create scheduling headaches. The sections south of Tower 60 will be easily to schedule as these trains will not be sharing tracks with freight trains, only sharing the tracks with Amtrak and TRE trains. But these dedicated tracks will be more expensive to build. ;)

#502 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:40 PM

I completely agree that the new tracks and signal system will be expensive. I've seen the track, ties, roadbed and right-of-way up close and it's in poor condition, unusable at anything faster than 10 mph. I've worked on industry trackage in better condition and with far better rail than nearly any given segment of the former Cotton Belt. Right-of-way is often one of the largest expenses in an urban transporation project like this, so in spite of the condition of the railroad, it is a good starting point if an expensive one.

On the other point I will respectfully disagree that freight traffic on the Tower 18 to Grapevine portion will cause any difficulty for commuter or freight operations. FWWR's traffic on that portion of the route is scant. Any difficulty getting over the line is due in large part to the condition of the line and type of operation. Once the track is replaced and signals are installed, there will be no reason to operate a single freight train at a time at any speed, let alone 10 mph. Currently there are no sidings between Tower 18 and Grapevine, so it's not possible for one train to meet another. Although I'm sure DART/Tex Rail is not interested in constructing mile-plus long sidings, even short sidings similar to the one on the TRE at Richland Hills would be long enough to accomodate many of the trains FWWR operates on this territory (the longer trains go from Hodge Yard to Peach, Everman and across Tower 60 toward Cresson).

Additionally, the nascent Tex Rail schedule won't be as frequent as the TRE, for example, which is able to accomodate BNSF traffic including at least one inbound and one outbound Teague train, a North Yard-based local, multiple trains originating in Madill and a North Yard-Tulsa as well as the frequent UP ethanol trains to Tarrant and switching operations of the DGNO. It's not always easy to get out on the TRE and you expected to move when you do, but it's done every day. FWWR's traffic on the Tower 18 to Grapevine route pales in comparison to the TRE, so it should be a cinch to squeeze them in, especially if it's done at night.

Anyway, I'm anxious for construction to begin. I can't wait to see trains moving at a decent speed on these rails again. It's been far too long.

#503 Electricron

Electricron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:19 AM

The TRE uses fully FRA compliant trains, which can share the tracks with freight trains with no restrictions. TexRail's Stadler trains will be alternate compliant FRA trains, and may or may not be able to run on share tracks with freight trains without time separation schemes. DGNO freight trains run at separate times than DCTA trains.  With the FRA, there's no guarantees how they will regulate this with TexRail. That's what I meant by scheduling headaches. 

#504 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:07 AM

Good to know. Thanks.

#505 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:42 PM

I do some business with the company that occupied a large part of the area where the Smithfield station in NRH will sit.  I received an email today saying that they've moved to their new location. 

#506 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:21 AM

Tex Rail 100% funded

https://twitter.com/...431288180510721

#507 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:19 PM

That's really good news, but I'm still waiting for construction pictures...

- Dylan

#508 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

FW Business Press article.

#509 Bonfire98A

Bonfire98A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:38 PM

Here's a FWST article about today's signing ceremony for the completion of the TEXRail federal funding.  I would have used TEXRail quite often had it been available when I worked in downtown FW, and may use it yet if I get another job downtown or otherwise want to go back and visit.

I do have to say there was one quote within that rubbed me the wrong way, though.

“Ten years ago, people said you’ll never get Bubba out of his pickup,” said North Richland Hills Mayor Oscar Trevino, a long-time TEX Rail advocate. “Well, the people coming here aren’t coming from Monahans and Pecos, Texas. They know about rail. They want rail.”

How arrogant, condescending and elitist can you get?  I originally came here from Wichita Falls, and have no qualms at all about using rail when it's convenient and safe, so I don't appreciate jabs like this.  He sounds like one of those stuck-up coastal patricians looking down his nose at the benighted masses in flyover country.  I'm glad I don't live in NRH if this is who they chose for the center seat at their council meetings.

#510 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:06 PM

I don't have a problem with the mayor's comments. I'm glad he's been there championing this cause throughout his tenure as mayor. NRH is topped out on sales tax, so conventional wisdom suggested there was no way to get mass transit here. The mayor helped lead the effort to change that. And here it comes (finally).

#511 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

I don't think his comments were meant as bad as they sound. I'm thinking they were maybe meant as a little back-handed jab at Colleyville. More than one of the critics there has taken a swipe at the project as being out of place here because people aren't familiar or comfortable with mass transit. He's a popular mayor in NRH and even does the rolling bicycle town halls like the FW mayor. NRH has an excellent network of bike/walk trails for a city of their size and I hope that TEX Rail motivates them to extend the Cottonbelt Trail south across 820.

#512 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:06 PM

I'm from Odessa and I lived for 3 years in Pecos and have spent a lot of time in Monahans as well. The first leg of my business trip to Bismarck was actually Uber, but that got me to the 9th and Jones Intermodal station where I took TRE to Centreport and DFW to catch a flight. I just got off the TRE 2 hours ago on my way home. There's no need to disparage people from West Texas to make a point. 

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#513 youngalum

youngalum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:41 PM

Some people are too sensitive.  If the shoe fits, it fits. 

#514 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:30 PM

I think the "Bubba" comments were meant for people who think that Texans won't accept mass transit simply because this is Texas, pushing the same tired stereotypes of this state... as if we ALL have the exact same mindset... 

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#515 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:21 PM

And then there is "South" Richland Hills who by the way voted to exit FWTA (TRE & bus); I think  was rightfully aimed at them too.

#516 Electricron

Electricron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:57 PM

Great news about the full funding agreement, now FWTA can fully commit to build this train fast. I hope it comes in on time and below budget!

#517 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:46 PM

There's no need to disparage people from West Texas to make a point. 

You're absolutely right. At the very least it was indelicate. There was certainly a better way to make his point. I would hope this type of comment is isolated in light of all the good he has been able to do.

#518 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:01 PM

Does the statement disparage West Texas?

I'm reading here a number of commentary that believes he did, but he may actually have a point and possibly knows that the vast amount of newly arriving NRH residents are coming from places other than West Texas and that these new residents are coming from regions in the country that are accustomed to mass transit. 

The bottom line, perhaps say nothing beyond that NRH is maturing as a city.

#519 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:25 AM

The bottom line, perhaps say nothing beyond that NRH is maturing as a city.

If that's the case, then I'm all for it.

Hopefully the other suburbs catch on. 

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

#520 Electricron

Electricron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:05 PM

Long YouTube video of most of the TexRail route, Grapevine to Stockyards, as the corridor is today prior to any upgrades.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=a5FILaIaplI

#521 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

Interesting.  I saw the bridge that they cross at 1:11:30 and wondered where that was, considering there's a pedestrian bridge over the creek right next to it.  I wondered if there was a bike trail connecting it.

Then I realized I crossed that bridge once when I was riding with some friends.  It had rained recently and the trail was pretty muddy, almost impossible to navigate by bicycle.  It's actually more of a horse trail that runs from just west of River Ranch on 23rd Street, crosses Marine Creek on that bridge, then follows the south bank of the creek back to the main Trinity Trail where Marine Creek empties into the West Fork.

My blog: Doohickie

#522 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

From next week's City Council agenda:

2. M&C L-15985 - Authorize Execution of a License Agreement Between the City of Fort Worth and the Fort Worth Transportation Authority for Temporary Use of the Property Located at 2204 Brennan Avenue, Fort Worth, Texas 76106 for a Construction Staging and Storage Site for the TEX Rail Project and Authorize a Waiver of Fees (COUNCIL DISTRICT 2)

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#523 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:55 PM

Last weekend, I rode my bike along the Cotton Belt trail through North Richland Hills and Colleyville hoping to see TEX Rail construction. Unfortunately, there are still no signs of construction, even though construction was supposed to begin last summer. <_< That said, there is a bundle of new steel beams and a pile of rocks sitting east of Davis Blvd.

- Dylan

#524 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

Facebook photos of the cleared site from the city of NRH:

https://www.facebook...9655652/?type=3

#525 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

On another note, their website is up and MUCH better... 

TEXRail.com

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

#526 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:38 AM

I drove by construction at Tower 18, aka FWWR Crossing. A large pier was being drilled and the rebar cage for the pier lay next to the drill site. I'm assuming this is to avoid a grade crossing of the UP Choctaw Sub. Too early this morning for photos unfortunately.

#527 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:13 AM

Would that be the railroad intersection east of Beach Street / Old Denton road?

If that construction is for TEX Rail, fantastic news!

• JBB likes this

- Dylan

#528 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:49 AM

Yes, that's the one. I'm going to try to get over there again and get some photos.

#529 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

I drove by again this morning on my way home from work. Between the low lighting during sunrise, having no place to park and walk around and the flurry of activity in the area I decided against taking photos. In lieu of photos, here's what I observed:

• Site grading east of Sylvania and along the southern rail of the existing tracks. There is evidence of recent drainage improvements in the area. This is where the maintenance base will be constructed.
  • Clearing and grubbing along the southern rail of the existing tracks from west of Beach Street to Glenview Drive.
  • Utility location throughout the project area. Utility relocation in progress at Tower 18 (Old Denton and Meacham) including raising power lines crossing tracks in this area.
  • Pier drilling/caisson construction operations east of Old Denton Road along DART/Cotton Belt right-of-way.

The amount of people and equipment involved in this construction project is surprising so early after getting funding. It tells me funding is all they've been waiting for. It's nice to see dirt turning after so long.

#530 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

It likely helped that they had a good portion of the funding on hand already in the form of taxes collected. That sounds like a lot of progress already. Thanks for the update.

#531 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

TEXRail.com

It's a little unusual how the southwest leg is not mentioned at all on the website. I wish the first phase would've at least included stops in the hospital district and the Berry St station.

#532 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

TEXRail.com

It's a little unusual how the southwest leg is not mentioned at all on the website. I wish the first phase would've at least included stops in the hospital district and the Berry St station.

I figure they won't post anything for the SW leg of the route until TEX Rail officially makes it happen. 

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

#533 Electricron

Electricron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:09 AM

FWTA dropped the southwest leg years ago when the FRA reported back that they weren't going to fund a project that big, to drop the overall price tag down to what they were willing to fund. So it was keep the southwest leg intact, or keep the northeast leg intact. FWWR wasn't as easy to negotiate with as they hoped, and Grapeveine is willing to contributing funding for the northeast leg, but not the southwest leg. So there's several reasons why the southwest leg was dropped. 

But that doesn't mean FWWR can't get funding for the southwest leg later. 

Additionally, few transit lines are 100% built initially. Just look 30 miles east at DART's experience, the Red Line has been built in three phases, the Blue Line in seven phases, the Orange Line in 3 phases, and the Green Line in 3 phases. 

Technically, since TexRail will be sharing tracks in downtown Fort Worth with the TRE, this could be considered the 2nd construction phase for TexRail.  :eek:

#534 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

DFW Airport TEX Rail station approved:

http://www.star-tele...e132416339.html

Terminal B seems like a strange place given that it's probably the terminal with the least traffic (American Eagle only), but I assume they're saving costs by putting it adjacent to the DART station nearest to where the tracks will enter the active airport property. and connecting it to the other terminals via bus.  I've always wondered why they didn't build Skylink to better connect with TEX Rail and DART.  It would be nice if they planned an outside security terminal link that was rail based like Skylink.

#535 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:49 AM

TEXRail.com

I figure they won't post anything for the SW leg of the route until TEX Rail officially makes it happen. 

Just this morning I was driving NE on Granbury, on one side of of the road you have the rail station and on the other you have a concrete waste land with a dying strip center. I thought, how wonderful would it be if the TRE came down here and "Grandbury Road Station" as QT calls it, was an actual urban center with apartments, offices and retail! There is plenty of space here for redevelopment. - Calling all developers!

#536 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

.... I've always wondered why they didn't build Skylink to better connect with TEX Rail and DART.  It would be nice if they planned an outside security terminal link that was rail based like Skylink.

Security.

It is more efficient and effective to reduce the points where security can be breached.

#537 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:11 AM

TEXRail.com

Just this morning I was driving NE on Granbury, on one side of of the road you have the rail station and on the other you have a concrete waste land with a dying strip center. I thought, how wonderful would it be if the TRE came down here and "Grandbury Road Station" as QT calls it, was an actual urban center with apartments, offices and retail! There is plenty of space here for redevelopment. - Calling all developers!

Its takes a lot of effort to edit multiple quotes to get to a point to reply, however I believe the answer to the Southwest leg is a local transit line (streetcar, light rail); a commuter rail is purposed for connecting town to town to airport.

#538 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:47 PM

TEXRail.com

A little further down the road where the Sycamore School station will be, there's "Summer Creek Station". Right now it's just a Walmart Neighborhood Market and 7-Eleven. 

They're getting prepared, but I wouldn't expect anything to happen as far as a rail line goes for another 5 years or so.

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

#539 Electricron

Electricron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:03 AM

A little further down the road where the Sycamore School station will be, there's "Summer Creek Station". Right now it's just a Walmart Neighborhood Market and 7-Eleven. 

They're getting prepared, but I wouldn't expect anything to happen as far as a rail line goes for another 5 years or so.

FWWR was being difficult in the negotiations for FWTA to use their tracks. They were demanding double tracking, signaling, and then they started asking for more cash. Additionally, the FTA and FRA wasn't willing to promise to spend more than $500 Million, so the FWTA dropped the southwest leg. Maybe both the FWWR and FTA/FRA will be willing to change their negotiations goals later. 

FYI, the TRE is half owned by DART and half owned by FWTA. Extending it much beyond both downtowns isn't going to be easy to do, politically. 

But that doesn't mean TexRail can't be extended later, because it's fully owned by the FWTA. Likewise, DART could extend the TRE further south and east, maybe to the new HSR train station at the most. Any further will probably require a 100% DART owned commuter rail line, 

Sort of like both FWTA and DART may build 100% owned commuter rail to DFW Airport from their jurisdictions. I don't believe riders will be able to take a single seat ride all the way from Plano to Fort Worth, riders will have to transfer between trains much like DCTA riders do in Carrolton. 

We have to remember there are separate transit agencies in the metroplex's three largest counties. Cooperation on a line between them may be possible to reach main destinations, like central business districts, but not beyond them and deep into the other's jurisdictions. 

#540 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:33 AM

I took some photos of the construction at Janada Street and Old Denton Road.

Janada St. looking SW

large.jpg

Janada St. looking NE

large.jpg

Old Denton Rd. looking NW

large.jpg

Old Denton Rd. looking NE

large.jpg

Old Denton Rd. looking SW

large.jpg

It's difficult to get near enough to the construction to see what's going on, but around Old Denton Road you can see some of the piers have already been drilled and rebar set in place northeast of the intersection while drilling operations are ongoing southwest of the intersection. I'm assuming this is for a viaduct to avoid a crossing of UP Choctaw Main 2 at grade.

Everything Electricron is saying about negotiating with FWWR is consistent with what I've heard. BNSF ran into the same problem when the reroutes for Tower 55 were being planned. Good for FWWR. I hope they get what they want because they'll give up a lot to get it. If the FAA can buy BNSF a new main line, I don't see why FWWR should lay down for the FTA.

#541 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

That's fantastic to see! Thank you, NS!

- Dylan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users