• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:26 AM

Even without water, Alliance may soon be a port
Designation would let Alliance levy taxes for infrastructre
By ANNA M. TINSLEY
Star-Telegram staff writer

AllianceTexas, which covers 17,000 acres in far north Fort Worth, could get an inland-port designation under a bill in the Legislature. Alliance Airport, BNSF Railway and Interstate 35W provide the transportation for the development's distribution centers. FORT WORTH -- AllianceTexas could soon be an inland port, drawing countless international shipments and new dollars for improvements, under a state plan that drew endorsements Tuesday from local leaders.

Under a bill in the Texas Senate, city and county leaders would work together to create the ports, define property to be included in them and create governing boards to levy taxes for infrastructure and security improvements.

"Establishing a port authority will allow Alliance to continue to compete," said David Pelletier, director of communications for Hillwood, the company owned by Ross Perot Jr. that is developing the 17,000-acre AllianceTexas. "There's a lot of states looking to establish inland ports because it's about economic development."

The push for the legislation comes soon after the unveiling of plans to turn thousands of acres south of Dallas into a warehouse and distribution center that some say could rival Alliance.

What happened Tuesday: County and Fort Worth leaders unanimously endorsed a plan to create inland-port designations in Texas. The measure by state Sen. Jane Nelson, R-Lewisville, also won approval in the Senate Natural Resources Committee and is headed to the full Senate for debate.

Where an inland port could go: The bill says a port could be established in an area with a municipally owned airport, a Class 1 railroad and a priority corridor highway. In Fort Worth, those are Alliance Airport, BNSF Railway and Interstate 35W. The bill would allow inland ports across the state.

What an inland port would do: Much like a Public Improvement District, the authority would tax itself and use that revenue for improvements such as roads, runways, security measures or customs.

How much this could generate and what for: Pelletier said there are no estimates on how much money could be generated by the inland-port designation. But it would help Alliance move forward with infrastructure improvements.

Why this is needed: "Establishing an inland-port authority will strengthen Alliance's position as a major international trade corridor," said Nelson, whose district includes Alliance. "Goods from all over the world are clearing customs right here in our back yard, so it is vital that there be resources available for security, infrastructure and continued growth."

What local officials are saying: Assistant City Manager Joe Paniagua said the city's staff supports the concept of an inland port but has some concerns. They include whether the port authority's board would be subject to the Texas Open Meetings Act and whether the port authority could buy land and build facilities that would be tax-exempt.

Staff writer Mike Lee contributed to this report.

Anna M. Tinsley, 817-390-7610

#2 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:24 AM

It only makes sense. I'm all for the new designation.

#3 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:41 PM

[quote]The push for the legislation comes soon after the unveiling of plans to turn thousands of acres south of Dallas into a warehouse and distribution center that some say could rival Alliance[/quote]

WAHHH!

Get area competition and go running for In-Land Port Designation process pundants.

It seems as though the writer covered all the Journalistic Who's, What's, Where's, and How's. But the Why's was just not touched on with much in-depth coverage to finalize an article worthy of circulating just yet.

[/quote]
What local officials are saying: Assistant City Manager Joe Paniagua said the city's staff supports the concept of an inland port but has some concerns. They include whether the port authority's board would be subject to the Texas Open Meetings Act and whether the port authority could buy land and build facilities that would be tax-exempt.
[quote]

Though a little bit of journalistic impartiality was touched here, I still think the new developers for that S.Dallas wareouse project should have been contacted and reported on for this story.

COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#4 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:33 PM

So, will this mean that with taxing authority for the Port, will the city lose some tax revenue? I can see the Asst. city manager was concerned about the Port buying property and making it tax-exempt. On the other hand will property owners wind up paying more taxes to more government entities? Considering the folks behind Alliance I don't think they would care for that nor would they allow it to happen. My guess the Port will collect the taxes that the city gets now and spend the money on infrastructure in the Port area. The city won't have that money to spread around to other areas like they have been.

It appears to me this is an idea the developers are pushing, not the city. We know Perot has been unhappy with the city's lack of infrastructure develpoment and this may be his way around the city.

#5 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

Exactly. Another "puff piece" by the star.

But a Perot always gets their way.

So, as the ever memorable George Tenet line goes, "It's a SLAM DUNK!".

"Establishing an inland-port authority will strengthen Alliance's position as a major international trade corridor," said Nelson, whose district includes Alliance.

So based on the "requirements" that of an inland port goes, nothing would stop San Antonio from doing the same, Austin, Houston, El Paso and Kerrville, TX. Alliance would only strengthen it's position (at the hands of gov't) if it were to be allowed a state monopoly in this Int'l Trade Inland Port status.

El Paso would seem to make more sense in granting this designation. Major RR lines, own airports, nearby military base, immediate Int'l border, major I-10 highway corridor (my favorite), and plenty of cheap labor to be had in a "right to work" state.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

Question: why is there a need for military functions/services at Alliance with NAS/JRB nearby; and is this more of the military wasting taxpayers' money?

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

Are you referring to something specific? Most of the military functions that I am aware of at Alliance don't involve the US military.

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Are you referring to something specific? Most of the military functions that I am aware of at Alliance don't involve the US military.

Nothing more than this information guide provided by Alliance:

Aviation Services -

http://www.allianceairport.com/

#9 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Excerpted quote from the above website:

"...In addition to state-of-the-art infrastructure and world-class concierge services, Fort Worth Alliance Airport offers specific advantages for military personnel, including: Designated military briefing room Crew cars Air start units and power carts Department of Defense military contract..."

Whether these services are valued additions or needless redundancies (from that provided by the U.S. military in our area) is subject to debate, I guess.

#10 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

Sometimes when I am in the area I drive by the airport tower to see what is happening.  Occasionally I see some trainers/fighters? parked on the tarmac.  Last week I lingered and watched a larger military aircraft make 3 touch and go landings.  The person with me wondered if they were paying landing fees.  I told him I though military and general aviation didn't pay landing fees.  Anyone know if that is true or not?

#11 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

I see lots of miliary touch and goes going on whenever I'm up by Alliance. Some of it may be trying to take some of the noise pressure off the area around the JRB.

#12 FWFD1247

FWFD1247

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

Maybe the length of the runway? Alliance is the second largest airport in north Texas.
I also heard that a company is renting out part of the "old" Bell helicopter hanger to update the GPS systems to some of the fighter jets.

16atmjd.jpg

#13 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:04 AM

DFW has 4 runways in excess of 13,000 feet long.

The JRB main runway is 12,000 feet long

The longer of the two parallel runways at AFW is only a modest 9600 feet long.

I think since there is really only one runway at the JRB and that may at times be needed for flight testing/taxi tests by Lockheed, etc that it may make sense to utilize AFW for touch and goes and ongoing training. The benefit of the two parallel runways at AFW is that if you get a disabled aircraft on the runway you don't have to shut the entire airport down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users