74 replies to this topic

#51 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

Heard somewhere Sundance Sq Mgmt is going to close Main Street between 3rd and 4th so to create a contiguous public piazza/square. Is there any truth to this an what do people think about that idea?

#52 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

That won't happen on a permanent basis, but it will happen for Main St. Art Fest, the Christmas season, etc., much as it does now.
My blog: Doohickie

#53 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

I am always surprised by how easily the traffic adapts to Main street being closed, like it is this week. (Through New Years)

Though it does not seem to be on anybodies agenda, I am guessing it could be closed all year with little ramification. I think there are some strange traffic situations created by Main Street closing and mostly one way streets downtown.
www.fortworthview.com

#54 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

I normally drive in on Houston and out on Commerce, leaving Main Street for walking, so no complaints here if it were to ever go 'pedestrian only'.
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#55 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

I normally drive in on Houston and out on Commerce, leaving Main Street for walking, so no complaints here if it were to ever go 'pedestrian only'.

Main Street sees very little traffic and could easily be diverted to Houston, Throck, etc. Just keep the cross streets open at the intersections.

#56 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

As a part of the construction of these three buildings, there will actually be two buildings being demolished. We've already discussed the demolition of the two story building at the southwest corner of 3rd and Houston. I noticed this when I saw the elevations. The kitchen and the outdoor patio/second floor deck of the Flying Saucer will also be demolished. The little one story kitchen building is designated Demolition Delay. This will have to go before the Landmarks Commission. The building at the southwest corner of 3rd and Houston, where Saviano's is located is not designated.

#57 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

Isn't the Flying Saucer an active business? Wonder how they feel about losing their kitchen and patio!
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

The Landmarks Commission's Agenda for December 12th has been published on the City's web site, and the demolition of the Flying Saucer Kitchen is on the agenda. I'm posting the entire agenda in this link:
http://fortworthtexa...HCLC Agenda.pdf

If you want to read more specific information on the case, go to this link on the City's Web Site:
http://fortworthtexa...ties_Docket.pdf

#59 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

I've now posted my links to the Landmarks Commission on the Knights of Pythias Building topic. Brian, why don't you edit you post above and then put another one under the Knights of Pythias Building. That might keep these two topics on their subject buildings.

#60 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

The Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission heard the case on Monday to allow demolition of the kitchen building next to the Flying Saucer. The building was built some time between 1889 and 1893. That little building is currently designated Demolition Delay where the Landmarks Commission may impose a 180 day delay on the demolition of the building. Two of the Landmarks Commissioners, who are architects, recused themselves from the hearing. Historic Fort Worth spoke on the case and Jerre Tracy stated that the organization would support reducing the 180 days to a point in time when the owner submits a nomination to the Landmarks Commission to raise the level of designation of the adjacent Land Title Block (1889) to Historic and Cultural Landmark. The Landmarks Commission voted to remove the Demolition Delay immediately and not to ask the owner to submit a nomination for HC for the Land Title Block. Hopefully, Sundance Square will see the value of the Historic and Cultural Landmark designation for the Land Title Block and they will apply for the designation. If you are wondering whether the Kitchen will be demolished immediately, the answer is no. Their own construction schedule almost puts a 180 demolition delay on the property. Construction is not scheduled to start until after the Main Street Arts Festival.

#61 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

To facilitate the construction of the Commerce Street Building, the Flying Saucer will be moving out of the Land Title Block. They will move into the location where 8.0 is now located. 8.0 will close on February 24th. The Flying Saucer will stay in the Land Title Block through April 22nd. Both 8.0 and the Flying Saucer are owned by Shannon Wynne. This shuffle makes a lot of sense because the construction would have left the Flying Saucer with no kitchen or restrooms, since the small building next to the Land Title Block is scheduled for demolition as a part of the new construction at Sundance Square.

#62 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

Is the kitchen and bathrooms not part of the Land Title Block, and therefore under the Historic Building, designation? I'm confused with the demolition of that.

#63 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

First off, I will start with a photograph.
Posted Image

As you can see, there are two buildings here. The two story red brick building is the Land Title Block (1889) and the kitchen building is immediately to the north. The Kitchen appears to have been built between 1889 and 1893. Both buildings were designated Demolition Delay. In order to build the new Sundance project and demolish the Kitchen, a Certificate of Appropriateness was requested to demolish the smaller, less important building. Does this help?

#64 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Sundance Square names architect for central plaza development...

http://www.fwbusines...evelopment.html

http://www.vergason.net/home.htm

#65 TexasArch79

TexasArch79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

Sundance Square names architect for central plaza development...

http://www.fwbusines...evelopment.html

Maybe its just me.... but im not at all impressed with the designs and projects on their website.
Casey C.
Design Director
Member of UTA Construction Research Advisory Committee
Member of SteerFW Urban Development Task Force

#66 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

...I liked the ones I saw.

Think it could turn out quite nice.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#67 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

Maybe its just me.... but im not at all impressed with the designs and projects on their website.

After visiting their website, one is given the impression from a sampling of their projects that they lean more in the direction of botanic landscaping. By selecting this firm to design the plaza, it would appear SSq envisions the public plaza to be more in the direction of Burnett Park rather than designing a large paved piazza-style pedestrian oriented confluence that would be unimpeded by trees, pools and gardens.

#68 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

Sundance Square wants a sales tax break on the new bookends-development

http://www.star-tele...-tax-break.html

#69 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for posting the link.

#70 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

First off, I will start with a photograph.

As you can see, there are two buildings here. The two story red brick building is the Land Title Block (1889) and the kitchen building is immediately to the north. The Kitchen appears to have been built between 1889 and 1893. Both buildings were designated Demolition Delay. In order to build the new Sundance project and demolish the Kitchen, a Certificate of Appropriateness was requested to demolish the smaller, less important building. Does this help?

Didn't see this until now. That makes perfect sense. I guess I never thought of it that way, haha. :)

#71 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

[The recent article states that planning for the square is being done with Portland's Pioneer Square in mind as a model. Here is a link to the Portland square's website. Check out the photo gallery.

http://www.thesquarepdx.org/

#72 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

[The recent article states that planning for the square is being done with Portland's Pioneer Square in mind as a model. Here is a link to the Portland square's website. Check out the photo gallery.

I’ve never been to Portland so I can’t tell what the public plaza really looks like from the photo gallery on their website. Based on the photos, however, I wasn’t impressed. I can’t tell where the plaza begins and the courthouse ends. The last photo is a wide shot of a parking lot with some type of structure on it surrounded by people. If this is the plaza, we’ve already got one…it’s Sundance Square, the parking lot and building with the painted western mural. And, of course, our plaza won’t be built around a courthouse. Somebody needs to enlighten me, perhaps, but I hope the SS architect doesn’t use Portland Square as a model.

#73 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

I looked through the photo gallery. Here's waht I noticed:

1. Taking a very normal photograph and turning your camera 15 degrees clockwise doesn't make it artistic.

2. Doing it 70% of the time definitely deosn't make it artistic.

3. I generally like the plaza. Needs more green.

4. Were there really pioneers in Portland? I just figured commuters from San Fran just stopped one day and decided to open their own city.

5. They have light rail service to the square.

#74 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

3. I generally like the plaza. Needs more green.

5. They have light rail service to the square.

The entire downtown is so vividly green they probably did it to make a contrast. :lol:

That entire area is flooded with transit and bike lanes and massive food truck parks. It's incredible.

#75 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

This may not add much to the discussion but the article is the only place where Pioneer Courthouse Square was cited as the "model". That did not come from the developer. It is one of a number of examples of spaces that contain the types of features to be investigated. There is a pretty long history of programming specifics that come from the regular calendar of FW events that must be considered as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users