Unidentified Development Photo in 1930 TCU Yearbook

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

I believe there were some photographs set up by the late Pete Charlton on this forum showing various scenes around Fort Worth, one of which was an aerial photo of a "new" development in the '30's with curved streets near the TCU campus.  Apparently this photograph was originally shown in the 1930 TCU yearbook, and the area was claimed never to have been identified as to its exact present location.

I have a JPEG copy of the photo in question, but cannot upload into this post.

Does anyone remember this picture and was the exact location in the photo ever identified?

Bill Sievers

Natick, Mass.

#2 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

I don't remember the post but 1930's + Near TCU + Curved Streets would seem to = the area around Bluebonnet Circle.

#3 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:12 PM

RD: I think I've got the area identified, but unfortunately I cannot upload the picture of the area itself and the corresponding map for comparison.  From what I understand about uploading pictures to the forum, they have to be on a website, so I cannot just copy and paste them into a reply.  I'm assuming it has to do with security to prevent infections from corrupting the forum with a virus etc.

Bill

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

Just click the green "new post" button at the top of this site.           http://imgur.com/  Wait a second and once it's uploaded you can copy-paste it from there.

#5 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:37 PM

Thanks Austin, but it looks like the mystery location was already solved after all!  It turns out to be the Monticello neighborhood and was identified by a Ben Guttery, when, I don't know.  The 1930 picture showing the unidentified development is in the Jack White collection on the Fort Worth Architecture page and is in the section: 'Photos from the 1930 TCU Student Yearbook'.

Another photo in the 'Skylines, Aerials, and Maps' section shows the same picture with an inset of a Google Maps pictorial of that same neighborhood.

Mystery solved!  That's how I solved it too, by using Google Maps with just some brute-force looking and comparisons!

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users