• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 salvag

salvag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:21 PM

What is everyone's favorite restaurant? It could be anywhere in the metroplex, or anywhere in the country for that matter.

Mine is Cafe Italia in Grapevine. It is without a doubt the best Italian food I've eaten, ever. I seriously recommend you all try it if you find yourself out that way. Sometimes I make the 45 minute drive to Grapevine JUST to eat there. Very reasonable prices and the owners are extremely friendly. You won't regret it.

#2 Call me Arch Stanton

Call me Arch Stanton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:18 PM

While it isn't news to anyone, my favorite would have to be Joe T.'s. The enjoyment of the evening that is created by Joe T.'s atmosphere goes unnoticed by many, but brings about a far more upbeat evening than dinners at other places. Doesn't hurt that the food and margaritas aren't too bad, either.

#3 WTx

WTx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Buildings of the 20's - 40's.

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:41 AM

Gee, how can anybody name just one!!?? I have a restaurant hall of fame. My hall of fame includes Joe T's for Mexican/TexMex, Carrabbas for Italian, Szechun for Chineese. I also like Reatta, Salt Grass, Texas Roadhouse, Zolon. Massey's for home cooking. Hmmmmmmm, I think there are many more but I'm hungry now so I might think of some later.

#4 salvag

salvag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:24 PM

It seems whenever I hear somebody talking about Chinese food in Fort Worth that Szechuan is always brought up. Has anybody tried Wan Fu on Camp Bowie? I've eaten there for years and think it is great.

#5 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:05 PM

Byblos. Though it's owned by members of the same family, I find the food at Byblos better than Hedary's and they have a wider variety. Also way more fun than Hedary's. Hooka's, bellydancers, old historic northside building, round out the fun. I've heard that they've added a separate hookah bar, too. I plan to check that out the next time I'm back in town.

Side gripe: I haven't been ALL over Italy, but I have been there and tried to eat at a wide variety of restaurants. Having that experience I can safely say that only one restaurant I've been to in FW approximates the food of a real Italian restaurant in actual Italy. That would be La Piazza. The biggest difference is that in Italy you can get a La Piazza meal for less than half the price and a fraction of the fuss. That's not to say that I think the Italian restaurants in FW aren't good or enjoyable. I just haven't found any others that serve authentic Italian food. Maybe I'll try Cafe Italia. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

#6 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:59 PM

Gee, how can anybody name just one!!??  I have a restaurant hall of fame.  My hall of fame includes  Joe T's for Mexican/TexMex, Carrabbas for Italian,  Szechun for Chineese.  I also like Reatta, Salt Grass, Texas Roadhouse, Zolon.  Massey's for home cooking.  Hmmmmmmm, I think there are many more but I'm hungry now so I might think  of some later.

It's good to know that Carrabbas is good. they just opened one not too far from me in front of the Rave Theatre @ North East Mall. Italianni's is also great food and atmosphere (in Hurst). Downtown... I LOVE Zoe! :smwink:
Joe T's is great for patio atmosphere IMO. It's also fun to get a window seat at Razzoos and people watch.

#7 Call me Arch Stanton

Call me Arch Stanton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 12:32 PM

Gee, how can anybody name just one!!??  I have a restaurant hall of fame.  My hall of fame includes  Joe T's for Mexican/TexMex, Carrabbas for Italian,  Szechun for Chineese.  I also like Reatta, Salt Grass, Texas Roadhouse, Zolon.  Massey's for home cooking.  Hmmmmmmm, I think there are many more but I'm hungry now so I might think  of some later.

I also am quite fond of the Texas Roadhouse, good food and great atmosphere.

#8 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 12:58 PM

I dont understand why this thread isnt as popular as the other one "Favorite defunct resturant" thread. I mean at least when someone shares their favorite resturaunt on this one, us members can go try it out for ourselves. I want some good recomended places to take someone at. Not read about some old place of the past that wont ever come back. Geez! :cheez:

#9 salvag

salvag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:05 PM

I dont understand why this thread isnt as popular as the other one "Favorite defunct resturant" thread. I mean at least when someone shares their favorite resturaunt on this one, us members can go try it out for ourselves. I want some good recomended places to take someone at. Not read about some old place of the past that wont ever come back. Geez!  :cheez:

LOL

I think this thread just got lost amid all the others. I'm glad you bumped it.

#10 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:11 PM

salvag Posted Today, 02:05 PM
I think this thread just got lost amid all the others. I'm glad you bumped it.

Your welcome, that's exaclty what I ment to do :cheez:

#11 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:57 AM

Italian: Maggiano's near that mall by the toll road in Addison.
Family Italian: Buca di Beppo in Southlake or Dallas
Mexican (Authentic): Benito's on Magnolia
Tex-Mex: ? I can't accept that gorgeous patio of a place that only serves fajitas or enchiladas, they would get laughed out of my hometown. I will however go with Uncle Julio's on I-30 and CB. Excellent staff and SELECTION. GM is a good friend too.
Chinese: Szechuan, of course in FW. PF Chang's for atmosphere in Dallas/ dtwn FW
BBQ: The RailHead, I wanna say? Been a while, but off of I-30 and after Univ. exit
Cajun: ?
Indian: Muharraja's in FW, off of Grandbury Rd. and Hulen Rd. area. Excellent buffet selection.
Wings: Wings and Things in FW, off of I-20 and McCart, across from Jiffy Lube. Former Chicago Bulls player is the owner, it's up and coming. BIG wings!
Romance: Ole South :wink:
Home Cookin: 7th street Grill. all u can eat Chicken Fried Steak!
Sun. Brunch: Blue Mesa's. ALL U CAN DRINK Mimosas!
Greek: Parthenon

Anyone tried the Red House in Dallas?
That's about it.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#12 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:02 AM

Mexican (Authentic): Benito's on Magnolia

bleargh! why does EVERYONE LOOOOVE that benitos slop? I am one to give a restaurant FOUR OR FIVE chances before I write them off, and I know I've given that place at least EIGHt. All my friends swear by it, but EVERY TIME I go there, at least some portion of my food is ALWAYS burned and caked to the plate, and it can't be intentional (unless there's some sort of vendetta/conspiracy against me -- but I never said anything about the cook (to his face)) :wink: .. I'm sorry, no part of enchiladas should be black and crunchy. Happens every time. I just can NOT get into it... but more puzzling to me is why SO MANY PEOPLE adore that place. FW is full of legendary Mexican joints.. why that one?

#13 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:04 AM

Indian: Muharraja's in FW, off of Grandbury Rd. and Hulen Rd. area. Excellent buffet selection.

the brand new Bombay Grill behind Chick Fil A on Hulen near CM (started by one of the guys that broke off from Maharaja) is way better/cleaner than Maharaja.. excellent lunch buffet, and they pull in a huge weekday lunch crowd... they're pretty popular for only being opened a month.. did the inside up pretty nice too.. no moldy-looking ceiling tiles like at Maharaja .. check it out .. it's good tymes..

#14 salvag

salvag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:23 AM

bleargh!  why does EVERYONE LOOOOVE that benitos slop?

I'm with you on this one, lobster. There's a lot of restaurants that people go to that boggle my mind. I guess everyone's pallet can't be as refined as mine. :wink:

#15 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:45 AM

Italian: Maggiano's near that mall by the toll road in Addison.
Family Italian: Buca di Beppo in Southlake or Dallas

How do you seperate those as two different types of restaurants? I found the food to be almost identical at both, with the biggest difference being that the family serving is the only way at Buca while it is an option at Maggiano's. Not saying they both aren't really good, they're just not all that different.

Home Cookin: 7th street Grill. all u can eat Chicken Fried Steak!

Are you talking about the 7th Street Cafe? If so, I'm almost certain it is closed now.

#16 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:58 AM

Are you talking about the 7th Street Cafe?  If so, I'm almost certain it is closed now.

Yeah, sister/brother-in-law and I tried to go a couple of weeks ago for our usual Sunday breakfast and they were closed (?tax problem?). Haven't passed by again, didn't know if they were still closed.

Speaking of breakfast, Rise and Shine on Altamesa is, I think, a really good breakfast place. Love their french toast!

#17 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:38 AM

What about Fort Worth's only kosher deli restaurant -- Carshons!
A small scale Ol' South as if it were plopped right in the middle of Borough Park in Brooklyn :wink:

#18 tcole

tcole

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:02 AM

Lobster:

Benitos's really used to be head and shoulders above the rest. Unfortunately, since opening their second location, the food on Mag. seems to have degraded a bit. Had brunch there yeaterday for the first time in a couple of months (I used to "recover" there almost every Sunday morning in my younger days) and I am sad to say I was somewhat disappointed.

I believe that FW's best Mexican may be some of the smaller more obscure joints represented by EL Asadero, El Tunero, and Pericas. Basically, it is best to go where the locals eat - and I do not mean FW locals.

#19 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:45 AM

Sorry, I still like Benito's, but El Asadero, and Ernesto's on 8th are new faves. Like others, I could never pick only 'one'.

Jazz Cafe
Cellaborelle's
Byblo's
Pho Nam, on Belknap (Vietnamese)
My Lan, on Belknap (Vietnamese)
Top Thai (temporarily closed)
Thai Jasmine, on Harwood
Sweet Basil, on Melbourne (Thai)
Joe & Nona's on Henderson (although constantly afflicted with legal problems, temporarily closed)
M & M Steakhouse on 28th Street
JJ's Oyster Bar
Hammer's BarBQue on Grapevine Highway
Clownburger on Stanley-Keller in Haltom City

Also, there's an Egyptian Grocery on Harwood that makes great Gyros, I can never remember the name.
For home cooking, we eat at home.
Still looking for a replacement for Reuban's Cuban.

#20 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:47 AM

oh yeah, forgot the Spiral Diner.

#21 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:00 PM

anyone remember Papi's puerto rican in that house somewhere near CB & 30?

#22 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:03 PM

Yes. It was originally was located over on North Main, and moved over to Birchman. That was good too. Cuban quisine is quite similar. Plantains and all.

#23 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:27 PM

I have a family member who has been talking up Joe and Nona's for a year or so now. I've never tried it, but I'm going to try when I have time (hopefully it will be open).

I like Benito's because it is a nice alternative to the generic Tex Mex that is so popular in this area. I can also second your vote for Ernesto's on 8th. Very good.

For some good, fried, Southern food, try out Papa's Fast Food on Rosedale. It is the bright yellow unmarked building on the north side of the street about 2 blocks east of 35 (across from the old Drake's Cafeteria). Fried catfish, fried chicken and pork chops, and burgers. Beware: this is artery-clogging food, but it's worth it on occasion.

#24 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:36 PM

A new Indian restaurant in FW?! And I don't have to go all the way down miserable South Hulen?! I will try it out the next time I'm in town.

I agree with Lobster on the Benitos thing. Every meal I've had there has been average at best. A number of restaurateurs have told me the same thing about the FW market: FW diners are very picky, but even more loyal. If for whatever reason diners like what you're doing around here, they'll latch on and keep going even if the quality slips.

#25 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:04 PM

A new Indian restaurant in FW?!  And I don't have to go all the way down miserable South Hulen?!  I will try it out the next time I'm in town.

Ya! It's the same food practically, but a lot closer and a lot cleaner.. Maharaja was the sole reason I longed for the 121 tollway, can you believe <_< .. Now there's really no reason for me to go to such southern extremes. Bombay Grill is simple inside but it really looks like they made an effort to have it look subtly trendy in a new-shopping-center industrial-type way.. Really really clean too.. You wouldn't believe the lunchtime crowd... standing line out the door at 12 sharp. We'll hit it when you land in FW again ^_^ wha's the ETA on your next arrival?

#26 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:51 PM

I have a family member who has been talking up Joe and Nona's for a year or so now.  I've never tried it, but I'm going to try when I have time (hopefully it will be open).

I like Benito's because it is a nice alternative to the generic Tex Mex that is so popular in this area.  I can also second your vote for Ernesto's on 8th.  Very good.

For some good, fried, Southern food, try out Papa's Fast Food on Rosedale.  It is the bright yellow unmarked building on the north side of the street about 2 blocks east of 35 (across from the old Drake's Cafeteria).  Fried catfish, fried chicken and pork chops, and burgers.  Beware: this is artery-clogging food, but it's worth it on occasion.

Fried Catfish! Oboy! Can't wait to try it. <_<

#27 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:48 PM

Benito's has a second location??? When I lived in FW I loved Benito's, I still occasionaly drive from Dallas to eat there. I used to live on Ryan Place Dr., and Ernesto's on 8th Ave is a great find for those of you who have never tried it. I'm glad it's still open. Also, please try BJ Keefers, I know it's under new ownership, but I ate there maybe two months ago, and the food was still fantastic. I moved to Dallas in 2000, and the Magnolia area was really started to show potential as a hotspot for independent restaurants. That street has great potential, I wish the activity was progressing faster.

#28 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:45 PM

Benito's has a second location???  When I lived in FW I loved Benito's, I still occasionaly drive from Dallas to eat there.  I used to live on Ryan Place Dr.,  and Ernesto's on 8th Ave is a great find for those of you who have never tried it. I'm glad it's still open.  Also, please try BJ Keefers, I know it's under new ownership, but I ate there maybe two months ago, and the food was still fantastic.  I moved to Dallas in 2000, and the Magnolia area was really started to show potential as a hotspot for independent restaurants. That street has great potential, I wish the activity was progressing faster.

I will try the new "BOMBAY PLACE". How original, but it does make sense for us d-towners. I did notice the quality for slippin at Benito's, but it beats Mexican Inn 8 plate special, or Mi Cocina's $10 cheese enchilada dinner. I did not know that 2 Benito's existed. I do like El Asadero's, named after a ceretain type of cheese I believe, or cheesemakers? The Villareal clan has been oh so dear at every visit, and the food is always served hot. Salsa is not too bad, wished they used their own fried chips. Always a good priced menu too. Does anyone here miss the CAFE ZAMBA as bad as I do? Gotta drive out to the Cafe Brazil locations in Dallas to get a SIMILIAR fixin. As for BJ Kweefers, went there for the 1st time the other weekend, great monster sized burgers, tasty. The fried potatoe thing is no happening, but the chips and queso BOWL is better than most Mexican restaurants. Still, out of the bag chips again. The Albanian prescence there is always colorful, it reminds me of Billy Goats Tavern in the sub streets of Chicago, CHEEZBORGEr, CHEEZBORGER, CHEEZBORGER, NO PEPSI , NO FRIES! The old SNL skit payed great homage to that place.
www.iheartfw.com

#29 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:05 PM

Benitos HAD a second location on 28th Street near I35, but it's gone. But it's true, the quality was a bit irregular for a time. Still, the food is so familiar to me, it's like going home again. I don't stop eating at my Mom's because she burned the meatloaf once or twice(that's what smoke alarms are for).

Also I forgot my neighborhood Japanese fare:

Japanese Grill, on Grapevine Highway.

#30 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:52 AM

My favorites/most frequently visited:

Lonesome Dove Western Bistro
Lanny's Alta Cocina Mexicana
La Piazza
Spiral Diner
Kimbell Buffet
Angelo's
St. Emilion
Hui Chuan
Zoe
Zolon

#31 tcole

tcole

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:05 AM

"named after a ceretain type of cheese I believe, or cheesemakers?"

Not one for the languages there, are you? Asadero means spitmaster. The root word is "asada" which means roast or roasted, as on a spit.

#32 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:53 AM

Does anyone here miss the CAFE ZAMBA as bad as I do? Gotta drive out to the Cafe Brazil locations in Dallas to get a SIMILIAR fixin.

unf... cafe zamba, good tymes... my heroes for being the first people outside of the S. University row of breakfast slop that dare stay open 24 hrs (at least on F & Sat nights)... and their empandas were tops.. know what's peculiar, though -- the guy screwed off on SIX MONTHS' of rent which is why they got evicted so suddenly. Incidentally, the owner was either a co-owner or former mgr of Cafe BRazil in Dallas -- identical empanada & migas recipes..

haven't bothered going to its replacement yet "El Tunero" (?) .. I've kinda sworn off Messican food for a while..

#33 tcole

tcole

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:31 AM

For 'dweller:

Lanny Lancarte II, a.k.a. Little Lanny of the Joe T. Garcia Mexican food dynasty, is leaving the famous family restaurant compound on Commerce Street near the Fort Worth Stockyards to open his own restaurant.

Mr. Lancarte is movin' on up to the West Side, to the former Green Lantern location on West Seventh Street, and he's taking his nouvelle Mexican cuisine with him. He anticipates a mid-May opening.

The 30-year-old Culinary Institute of America graduate will follow much the same format he developed at Joe T. Garcia's. A couple of years ago, after working with nationally known chefs like Rick Bayless in Chicago, he came home to the restaurant named for his great-grandfather. Instead of making crispy tacos and enchiladas, the young Mr. Lancarte developed five- and seven-course degustation menus, available by reservation only. The upscale dining experience has been such a hit that he's going solo, and adding an a la carte menu, at what will be Lanny's Alta Cocina Mexicana.

One of the young chef's menus might include seared foie gras with quince salsa and empanada stuffed with piloncillo caramelized onions paired with a Hungarian Tokaji Azsú dessert wine or steamed halibut wrapped in hoja santa leaves, frijoles and chorizo, with a pinot noir from the Willamette Valley in Oregon.

Of course, that's very different from the traditional enchiladas, tacos and fajitas that make up the beloved Joe T.'s menu. No doubt a proud patriarch watches from on high and frequently refers to the heavenly version of Larousse to find out what his progeny is serving.

-from DMN restaurant report to be released tomorrow.

#34 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:33 AM

For 'dweller:

Lanny Lancarte II, a.k.a. Little Lanny of the Joe T. Garcia Mexican food dynasty, is leaving the famous family restaurant compound on Commerce Street near the Fort Worth Stockyards to open his own restaurant.

Mr. Lancarte is movin' on up to the West Side, to the former Green Lantern location on West Seventh Street, and he's taking his nouvelle Mexican cuisine with him. He anticipates a mid-May opening.

The 30-year-old Culinary Institute of America graduate will follow much the same format he developed at Joe T. Garcia's. A couple of years ago, after working with nationally known chefs like Rick Bayless in Chicago, he came home to the restaurant named for his great-grandfather. Instead of making crispy tacos and enchiladas, the young Mr. Lancarte developed five- and seven-course degustation menus, available by reservation only. The upscale dining experience has been such a hit that he's going solo, and adding an a la carte menu, at what will be Lanny's Alta Cocina Mexicana.

One of the young chef's menus might include seared foie gras with quince salsa and empanada stuffed with piloncillo caramelized onions paired with a Hungarian Tokaji Azsú dessert wine or steamed halibut wrapped in hoja santa leaves, frijoles and chorizo, with a pinot noir from the Willamette Valley in Oregon.

Of course, that's very different from the traditional enchiladas, tacos and fajitas that make up the beloved Joe T.'s menu. No doubt a proud patriarch watches from on high and frequently refers to the heavenly version of Larousse to find out what his progeny is serving.

-from DMN restaurant report to be released tomorrow.

I hardly consider the above descr., "NOUVELLE Mexican Cuisine". It sounds more Alsatian to me. I have heard from inner culinary circles that his lineage was the best in FW, ever. But they ran authentic Tex-Mex versions, and is known as the best Nouvelle Mexican Chef in this region of Texas. The Rick Bayless name drop is more of a marketing ploy, and RB's sauce in a jar is atrocious, however RB does avg. $75/ticket in upscale downtown Chicago area. Ay business man woul dlove that. But you can do that in Chicago. FW? How RB got tapped into the "Authentic Mexican" variety foods market is beyond many of us in this industry. As far as the Hungarian basically port wine, it could work. Why would you carmelize onions with piloncillo? Piloncillo is brown sugar, onions create a sugary CARMELIZATION anyways, hence the sweet enhancement after butter sautee then grilling. Frijoles and chorizo! What? Can you just see the grease caking up your fork, asking for a gall removal. The empenadas recipe sounds more Chilean or DRepublican, not Mexican, which I would have called for Cajeta or Leche Quimada inside the empenada, side of Fredericksburg Roast Coffee to dip. My clients emepenadas with just pineapple filing will blow that one away, or the apple with salmon/shrimp smothered in a chipotle cream sauce. Then you got the slow pulled chicken w/ roasted cumin.paprika potatoes, smothered with a habanero/bacon queso flameada version. You all just wait, there will soon be an uthentic Mexican restaurant here that will provide an A+ wine list, and forever alter the FW version as we know it. :(
www.iheartfw.com

#35 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:52 AM

Does anyone here miss the CAFE ZAMBA as bad as I do? Gotta drive out to the Cafe Brazil locations in Dallas to get a SIMILIAR fixin.

unf... cafe zamba, good tymes... my heroes for being the first people outside of the S. University row of breakfast slop that dare stay open 24 hrs (at least on F & Sat nights)... and their empandas were tops.. know what's peculiar, though -- the guy screwed off on SIX MONTHS' of rent which is why they got evicted so suddenly. Incidentally, the owner was either a co-owner or former mgr of Cafe BRazil in Dallas -- identical empanada & migas recipes..

haven't bothered going to its replacement yet "El Tunero" (?) .. I've kinda sworn off Messican food for a while..

I actually did business with the owners at one time. they were quite nice, still keep in touch with a few who still envision making a return. There was one I was always suspicious of, he ended up screwin em all over. Hit the road with about 6 months of rent in cash. There was one owner I really felt bad for, he had put all his life savings and kid's college savings into it. We tried getting them lined up w/ my people to start a prescence up here in FW, but El T snatched the property up befor I could view the location to an out of town client, willing to pay more than it went for. Owner wanted that place rented out fast, she was losing a lot too. The owner of the propt. also owns the coming soon "Mercado" across the way, GL. If it folds or does poor, then karma does exist.

I would not care to return to El Tunero unless they have cleaned up their kitchen, it was mid May and they were infested with flys all over the uncooked meats left out, all over the bin of rice which was not on a steamer, it was rank. :( I'm surprised they showed me their facilities, I told them I would consider cooking there part time just so I could get afeel for the market in NS area. This was after I ate their famous torta, or bolillo bread with deli/specialty meats. It is not quite busy or packed like Zamaba was, but then again it is just another FW Mexican restaurant on the NS Main area. Zamba was more of a Carribean version of Mexican food. Their shrimp ceviche and diablo soup B) was the tastiest stuff. I still have their menu here to this day, hoping they will return stronger and smarter for FW.
www.iheartfw.com

#36 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:14 AM

"named after a ceretain type of cheese I believe, or cheesemakers?"

Not one for the languages there, are you?  Asadero means spitmaster.  The root word is "asada" which means roast or roasted, as on a spit.

That makes no sense, since they do not use a spit, nor do they push the spit reference in their menu. Asadero, however, is a type of cheese popular in the central Mexico areas, usually packaged in a ball shape. I know because I have used it for caterings in the past in other cities. It is Asadero, because of the melting effect before placing on a tortilla or entrees, which is best served melted form an OVEN. Colerica is a spitfire version of cooking. The restaurants asada style is more congruent to their cutting/marinating of the meat. Al Pastor would be more descriptive of El Asadero's style meat plates. Asar is a roast meat, like a roast beef. Asar is to cut as well. :(
www.iheartfw.com

#37 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:37 AM

Sorry, I still like Benito's, but El Asadero, and Ernesto's on 8th are new faves. Like others, I could never pick only 'one'.

Jazz Cafe
Cellaborelle's
Byblo's
Pho Nam, on Belknap (Vietnamese)
My Lan, on Belknap (Vietnamese)
Top Thai (temporarily closed)
Thai Jasmine, on Harwood
Sweet Basil, on Melbourne (Thai)
Joe & Nona's on Henderson (although constantly afflicted with legal problems, temporarily closed)
M & M Steakhouse on 28th Street
JJ's Oyster Bar
Hammer's BarBQue on Grapevine Highway
Clownburger on Stanley-Keller in Haltom City

Also, there's an Egyptian Grocery on Harwood that makes great Gyros, I can never remember the name.
For home cooking, we eat at home.

Have you tried King Tut or The Pegusus?

#38 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:53 AM

Pegasus, I hear, has great gnochii. Yum. I don't know of one that serves it here in downtown, do you?
www.iheartfw.com

#39 tcole

tcole

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:05 AM

The translation is literal jackass (Sorry John, but he deserves it). It is applied to a person who is grilling or roasting, or bbqing meats. And I am quite familiar with asadero cheese, although I find its flavor sometimes too sharp.

FYI, "colerica" means irascible and I have never heard that term applied to cooking in Mexico, much less the remainder of Latin cuisine. Also, "al pastor" just means "the way of the shepherd" or "pasture style" which is in essence the placement of a grilled (preferably) meat in bread (preferably tortillas - at least in Mexico).

#40 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:22 PM

I really like Mac's Bar & Grille in Arlington. Their Charbroiled Gulf Shrimp with rice is the best!

And, I really like The Cheesecake Factory too!

mb

#41 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:02 PM

Out here near the border, it's common for many Hispanic women to supplement their income by making homemade tamales, empanadas, and asadero cheese and selling them to neighbors informally.

I don't know how they generally make the asadero locally, except that it is customarily goat cheese here.

#42 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:27 AM

[/quote]

We went to King Tut once years ago, but have never returned. Must not have been impressed, but don't remember.
Have not tried the Pegasus, but it's on the list of things to do.

I would like to add Bella Italia to my list of good places, in the Westcliff Shopping Center, west of Bluebonnet Circle.
Good food, and you can carry in your own wine.

This thread made me hungry for Benito's, and now I recommend their new entree, the grilled camarones. Excellent.

#43 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:00 AM

[quote name='hipolyte' date='Mar 4 2005, 10:27 AM']

[/quote]

We went to King Tut once years ago, but have never returned. Must not have been impressed, but don't remember.
Have not tried the Pegasus, but it's on the list of things to do.

I would like to add Bella Italia to my list of good places, in the Westcliff Shopping Center, west of Bluebonnet Circle.
Good food, and you can carry in your own wine.

This thread made me hungry for Benito's, and now I recommend their new entree, the grilled camarones. Excellent.

[/quote]
Perfect for Lent. But does anyone know a great fish taco place, and I've tried Fuzzy's, NGood. I mean legendary stuff in FW. Anyone?
www.iheartfw.com

#44 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:13 AM

King Tut's is very good, IMO better than Byblos. I LOVE Pegasus; haven't been there recently, but loved it every time before. Cafe Bella/Bella Italia is wonderful, too. I love the bring your own wine places - Prima Pasta is pretty tasty! Tried Sapristi's once and it was very good, a lot of fun, just haven't made it back, a little $$ for me as I remember.

#45 tcole

tcole

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:19 AM

Fish Tacos? Get in your car, go SE on US 287. Merge with I 45 and head south. Merge with US 59 and then exit Chimney Rock just west of I610. Go right to Richmond, the left on Richmond. Look for a place named Cabo. It is the anticedent (in a purer form) to what Cabo Grande became - but still true to Baja cuisine. Provecho.

#46 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:57 AM

But does anyone know a great fish taco place, and I've tried Fuzzy's, NGood. I mean legendary stuff in FW. Anyone?

Down the street from Fuzzy's is the 24 hr Alvarados just east of Paschal.. I'm not a fan of mexican seafood personally, but I have heard more than one person boast about their stuff.... And although this isn't legendary by any means, Cabo Grande actually does put together a decent meal... they have ceviche and all them crazy fishytacos.... but personally, my favorite is this shredded chicken sandwich on a glazed bun.... best ever

#47 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:12 PM

Only been to King Tut's once. I thought hey, it's Egyptian, that means I gotta try the okra. It was the slimiest okra I've ever had, and I like okra, but this was gross. Really can't speak for the rest of their menu, though.

Been to Pegasus a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Does anyone know of a restaurant in FW that serves couscous? I know it's Moroccan and the chances of getting a Morrocan restaurant around here are pretty slim, but I've been to a number of Middle Eastern restaurants in other parts of the country that include it on their menus. The best couscous I've ever had was at a Lebanese place in Albany, NY if you can believe that (Mamoun's in case anyone plans to visit godforsaken Albany).

#48 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:35 PM

Fish Tacos?  Get in your car, go SE on US 287.  Merge with I 45 and head south.  Merge with US 59 and then exit Chimney Rock just west of I610.  Go right to Richmond, the left on Richmond.  Look for a place named Cabo.  It is the anticedent (in a purer form) to what Cabo Grande became - but still true to Baja cuisine.  Provecho.

You mean Ho-town. Not a chance. I worked for the ORIGINAL Pappasitos there on Richmond, crazy ave. on the weekends. As for Cabo's forget that mess. If you want the real deal outside of FW, just head on down S & W to La Ensenada or maybe my old stomping ground/job of Baja Sharkeez in Manhattan Beach, CA. Cabo's yu crazy!

I had no idea cabo grande fixed this authentic baja-style up, I do know that Mannie makes tamales out of his home kitchen then passes em over to CG. I always thought you needed a commercial kitchen permit to do that kind of stuff. As for ceviche, I like Benito's version, plentiful and tangy. Entonces buen provecho!
www.iheartfw.com

#49 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:40 PM

Only been to King Tut's once.  I thought hey, it's Egyptian, that means I gotta try the okra.  It was the slimiest okra I've ever had, and I like okra, but this was gross.  Really can't speak for the rest of their menu, though.

Been to Pegasus a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Does anyone know of a restaurant in FW that serves couscous?  I know it's Moroccan and the chances of getting a Morrocan restaurant around here are pretty slim, but I've been to a number of Middle Eastern restaurants in other parts of the country that include it on their menus.  The best couscous I've ever had was at a Lebanese place in Albany, NY if you can believe that (Mamoun's in case anyone plans to visit godforsaken Albany).

I believe Randall's on Houston St. tries to push a couscous plate. My favorite is a garlic/olive oil variety. It's simple to make and you can get it in a package at Target or CM of course.
www.iheartfw.com

#50 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:09 PM

The translation is literal jackass (Sorry John, but he deserves it).  It is applied to a person who is grilling or roasting, or bbqing meats.  And I am quite familiar with asadero cheese, although I find its flavor sometimes too sharp.

FYI, "colerica" means irascible and I have never heard that term applied to cooking in Mexico, much less the remainder of Latin cuisine.  Also, "al pastor" just means "the way of the shepherd" or "pasture style" which is in essence the placement of a grilled (preferably) meat in bread (preferably tortillas - at least in Mexico).

Woah here. Wrong again "JackASS" ! :wub: Nah it's all good here. As for someone who is a"grill master" or "spit fire master", neither of which they do, El Asadero(s) is not the correct version. They would generally be termed, El Cocineros, or cooks. Colerica translates to "furious", and has been slanged up a bit to describe the fire handling abilities of a spit fire cook, you know in the big decked out classy versions of restaurants in Mexico City/ Guanajuato/Jalisco/o Monterrey.

As for al Pastor, that just denotes the prescence of a cooking style commonly used in the older days when cooks/cowboys/and churchgoers would cook out on the pastures, either smoking the meats(from Native Indian) or on an open flame (like the Gauchos). They would store meats in a brine concocted of salsa roja w/ spices and chili peppers to help preserve it for long trips. Trips sometimes to the nearest church or reunion, and yes herding livestock. This is where we get our now regional pallete for spicy hot salsas, the old vaquero way, even conquistador. Al pastor does not imply to place a piece of meat on a bread or tortilla. Then you would be talking al carbon, and yes a tortilla de harina is prefferable.

El Asadero's style (very good tasting) is more of a parrilada or a la plancha. Meaning they use a griddle or comal to cook their foods. This is based on the judgement of their presentations, and I believe they do use an ASADERO cheese on their enchiladas or frijoles, hence my assumptions. If they in fact use a spit fire, I would have noticed it by scent and by sight from a plume of smoke from their ventahood system to the outside. A la plancha is widely used in the states for economical reasons. There are numerous restaurants/markets named El Asadero(s), but they almost never comply with your sense of literal meaning. I may have to give em another try this afternoon though. You are right that it is a bit sharp, like a feta but usually ovened baked or melted. Best when squeezed with a bit o lime. ;)
www.iheartfw.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users