2 replies to this topic

#1 rangerider7

rangerider7

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

I believe it was right in front of the old Fort Worth Press building. They had adjacent parking lots I believe. In the old days the Gem Hotel hosted the best in black music, later it became a house of ill repute. We use to drive down and talk to the black prostitutes while we waited for our papers. Is the building still there? I know the old Fort Worth Press was at 500 Jones street.

#2 EwingFTW

EwingFTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

I believe it was right in front of the old Fort Worth Press building. They had adjacent parking lots I believe. In the old days the Gem Hotel hosted the best in black music, later it became a house of ill repute. We use to drive down and talk to the black prostitutes while we waited for our papers. Is the building still there? I know the old Fort Worth Press was at 500 Jones street.

If you look in the book of Calvin Littlejohn's photographs
of the black community compiled by Bob Ray Sanders, you will see a photo taken at
the Gem with the owners. One of those in the picture is Lonnell Cooper, a retired
Fort Worth Police officer. Next time I visit with him I'll try to get more details.

#3 rangerider7

rangerider7

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:02 AM

I found out what I needed to know. It was named the New Jim Hotel when I knew of it, so I had the spelling wrong. Must have been a great place to here jazz in it's day. Here is a website telling about it.

http://www.tshaonlin.../articles/xdj01

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users