• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:01 PM

Well, here we are again.  FWST - Subscription renewal 2015

<On soap box>

We have kept all our newspaper subscription bills from 2000 - to date.  Its a small file folder.

Observations:

Page 2 section A 'Published Subscription Rates'

Rates:  

Daily and Sunday:  $13.22/wk  or $687.44 / year

Weds. thru Sunday $11.22/wk  or $583.44 / year

Sunday and Weds  $5.72 /wk  or 297.44 / year

Daily and Sunday

Our bill last year  $179.55  Senior Discount ( currently 73 )  Senior Discount is not published... but is offered when you call their accounting office.

Our bill this year   $275.60 

Star Telegram moved their billing office from Fort Worth  to P.O. Box 3035, Livonia, MI 48151-3035 (Read not in Fort Worth or DFW area)

Noticed that our 52 week subscription has been reduced to 50 weeks or in affect 2 week gradual reduction each year over last 2 years or total 4 weeks.

Premium content or the over sized print section that came out today is the root cause.  The print and include Premium content about 7 times a year. YOU pay for the content in terms of reducing your subscription from 52 weeks to 50 weeks.  Notice that your 52 week subscription bill has been arriving a month earlier this year than last year.  Notice also that the bill shows only the start date and no longer shows the Expiration date  

The current subscription rate includes PRINT and ONLINE editions.

We did compare the PRINTed content with the ONLINE version on their public website.  We used my wifes iPad, and Desktop computer and our Samsung Galaxy 5 smart phone.

Personal thoughts:  

PRINT version is there in front of you an you can immediately select the section and page you want.. while sharing the paper with your wife.  Print version lag's by 1+ day(s) current TV and website content.

ONLINE version,  not all that is in the PRINT can quickly found on their public website.  Online website seems to be deep linked with other news paper articles.   Click a link in the star telegrams website and it takes you to the Seattle PI website article.  Not all funny papers graphics in the FWST paper are in online version.  When you click on one of the links... it takes you to another website to see the multi colored drawings.  BC, WIZ, and few others I like are not shown in the FWST ONLINE website.   ONLINE website Dear Abby is linked to what appears to be Dear Abby's website that is not formatted properly for the page... tiny print with left margin nearly falling off the left page edge.

Smart Phone: Android 5.0 font is easier to read, but there is a lot of scrolling and searching to find an article.

-------------

Called Fort Worth Star-Telegrams Accounting office 800 - 776 - 7827 in Livonia, Mich. to discuss how we can best manage our 52 week subscription.

Talked with a polite lady named Sav_name removed_.  I said I needed to (1) discuss our annual 52 week subscription; Why our 52 week subscription had been reduced by 2 months over 2 years ? (3) Did not want the ONLINE included in our bill amount.  Yes, I did mention that my wife and I are 73 this year.

Results:

She offered Senior rate of $179.55 for 52 week subscription.

She said the premium content was included in this price  and was only able to change our expiration date forward by 1 month.

She checked and found I had not signed up for the ONLINE version so that was a part of the reduced Senior rate.

I replied ... Thank you very much.  I was pleased that IF we paid for 52 week subscription.. we wanted to find 52 weeks worth of papers on our door step each year.  Personally we did not ask for nor contract for  premium content.  We were displeased by finding that the annual 52 week contract period keep being reduced.  I said I would get a check out in the mail today.  And I did so.

</ Off soap box>

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#2 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:00 PM

Let's see... printed in Plano and billing in Michigan?  It is quickly going the way of the DMN.  Also, let's think about the Detroit Free Press...  Last time I checked the Freep print issues were down to twice a week.   

#3 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

What I hate about the Startle Gram are the photos in the paper.  It appears every one is blurry and not set properly.  It is really getting on my nerves that almost every picture that isn't on the front page looks like a high school newspaper print job.

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

....the startle-gram

Have to say that I am not a fan of ridiculing this newspaper; it smacks of "talk radio" gibberish. Hardly ever hear or read the same in regard to the other metropolitan newspapers.

But your remark about TCR and its fate is being fulfilled unfolding as predicted.

Family business was in radio and TV, so it is habit to make fun of newspapers

Family business was in radio and TV, so it is habit to make fun of newspapers

Humor accepted as intended. 

I'm just a bit sensitive because I don't recall humor of this kind is hardly ever directed at the DMN.

About the FWST, the newspaper is owned by McClatchy Media Group, a highly respected national news organization.  The FWST is its only newspaper in Texas.  The newspaper goal is to report on Fort Worth and Tarrant County; and is an important source of information for this market.

:)

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

uh-oh

https://www.dmagazin...art-of-midwest/

#6 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

:eek:

#7 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:10 PM

High impact journalism.

In other words, ratings over integrity.

My blog: Doohickie

#8 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

I admit I'm one of the biggest Fort Worth'o'philes on the planet, willing to defend anything Fort Worth to the end.  But I've noticed lately that the tone and tenor of the Star-Telegram  reads like a bunch of carpetbaggers covering a place they don't know or really care about.  I've quit reading it.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Dallas Morning News covers Fort Worth better.  To me, there is an opening for an entrepreneur to figure a new way, print or web, to cover Fort Worth-centric news.  It's time for the Star-Telegram to go away.

#9 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:43 PM

Wow. That's not good at all.

Unfortunately, newspapers across the country are dying. They may not exist by the end of my lifetime.

Local news may soon be limited to what TV stations produce.

-Dylan

#10 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:06 AM

Star-Telegram is a bad fit in the McClatchy clan, unfortunately. If the goal is to emerge as a regional research, report and analyze agency, McClatchy would need OKC or Tulsa to build the marketplace between Texas and Illinois, Missouri and Kansas (McClatchy Midwest Region). There's plenty of shared interests, and I understand the relationship and importance of Kansas City to this "Midwest" region, but Fort Worth is clearly the strongest market weighing in with both the greatest challenges and potential.

Local Media is critical and it's just as likely that legacy agencies like S-T will be ceded to whatever is new, like Texas Tribune.  The economics of media corporations and how regional pseudo-monopolies have been protected over the generations through perverted regulatory legislation is far and away the greatest barrier to the inevitable reordering of news reporting.

North Texas, I think, is on track to be the homebase of SouthCentral US information exchange agencies (aka The News). Denver, OKC, Tulsa, Wichita, Omaha, Kansas City, Little Rock, Memphis, Jackson MS and New Orleans all being part of the SouthCentral US. Alliances within this region are natural and becoming 'more natural' as time goes on; putting rival networks next door to each other in Fort Worth and Dallas would deliver better reporting. McClatchy may not be part of such a plan.... 

#11 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:18 PM

Sandra Baker has said on Twitter she is leaving the Star-Telegram tand "headed to city of Fort Worth. Sandra is probably the most oft posted reporter on this forum, she frequently covered ongoings at city hall and real estate deals. I'm hopeful she can make a big difference at the local government level.

#12 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:43 AM

Wow. That's not good at all.

Unfortunately, newspapers across the country are dying. They may not exist by the end of my lifetime.

Local news may soon be limited to what TV stations produce.

This looked like a relevant thread to post this AP article on FWBP's website on bad times for the Dallas Morning News and other physical paper media.  And, as we know, the Star-Telegram has merged with Dallas News.  You're correct in predicting that local news will be limited to the broadcast TV stations.  But even these media are digital now and eventually may succumb entirely to the World Wide Web.  I applaud technological advances in communications; however, in this transition period we may be over-relying on "local news" in  Social Media, as the article suggests.  I put quotes around local news in that context because I doubt if standards of good journalism are being adhered to.

.http://www.fortworth...dacf60a1d3.html

#13 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:20 AM

They havent merged. They are owned by two separate companies. They just share some content.

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:18 AM

They havent merged. They are owned by two separate companies. They just share some content.

The Dallas Morning News owned by A.H. Belo Corporation.

The Fort Worth Star Telegram owned by McClatchy Company.

The FWST is McClatchy's sole newspaper in Texas.

#15 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

This looked like a relevant thread to post this AP article on FWBP's website on bad times for the Dallas Morning News and other physical paper media....

This answers a question that I had about the DMN.  WFAA was suggesting through reports that the move to smaller accommodations at the eastern edge of Downtown Dallas was in preparation for the future Texas Central HSR terminal use of the DMN site.  The report gave the impression that TCR HSR was much further along. 

Now it appears as though there may not be a TCR/DMN deal but a downsizing of the publishing company.

#16 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:40 PM

Robert Philpot is evidently leaving the ST.

#17 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:08 PM

Huge loss. Easily one of their best writers.

#18 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:01 PM

so I have a digital Star-T subscription but literally EVERY time I want to read a story the website makes me log in. Even when clicking a link to a new story on the one I'm currently reading. This happens no matter if I'm reading on a web browser or using the web browser on my phone.

Is anyone aware of a solution to this problem?

#19 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:05 PM

I thought I remember reading on Twitter several weeks ago that they were aware of the problem and working on a solution. I would have thought that would have been fixed by now.

#20 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:23 PM

I follow the FWST on Facebook (among other local tv news channels) and what's annoying is you are allowed only 3 free reads a month to their stories they post. After you've read a total of three, they show you a link to their digital subcription offers. So you gotta be really sure you really think their news article they post is worth one of your three free read. Other papers do this? None of this happens with any other news media I follow.

#21 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:37 PM

The number of free reads varies, but Ive seen it elsewhere. One way around it is to use a private browsing mode.

#22 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:04 PM

Star telegram putting Fort Worth back in the name

https://www.star-telegram.com

#23 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:01 PM

Star telegram putting Fort Worth back in the name

https://www.star-telegram.com

This is great news!  And long overdue.  I also love that the Star-Telegram is hiring additional local beat reporters, especially considering the current downsizing of many newsrooms across the country.  I wonder if the re-emergence of and future competition with the reconstituted "Fort Worth Press" had any influence on their decision to refocus on Fort Worth.

#24 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:51 PM

McClatchy eyes bankruptcy. https://finance.yaho...-193910968.html

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#25 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:38 AM

Between moving and traveling, I've been out of touch some recently, so I may have missed if this was mentioned on the forum.

Star Telegram to cease Saturday printed edition in lieu of expanded editions on Friday and Sunday:

https://www.star-tel...e237532789.html

#26 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:25 AM

I posted it on another post here in the forum.  My first notification was from the Dallas Morning News, and that is the source that I posted the link.  I do realize that some of you do not have access to the DMN articles, but I do post the links for those who can read them.

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 11:58 AM

Journalists at the ST have unionized.

#28 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:22 PM

Because of my job, I read (online) the local newspapers mainly for business news.  I honestly have not read the Star-Telegram or the Forth Worth Business Press in over ten years.  The Dallas Morning News and The Dallas Business Journal both do a more thorough job of reporting business news in Fort Worth than both of our local publications.  I used to see articles in these publications weeks before I would see them in our locals papers, if I saw them at all.  So eventually, I stopped reading them all together. 

I can't recall his name, but the Star used to have a business journalist that did a fairly good job of business coverage, but I know he took a job with the DMN after I stopped reading the Star, but I don't think he's with the DMN anymore. 

I know most local papers are suffering a similar fate, but it's been really sad watching the Star Telegram disappear. 

#29 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:33 PM

Mitchell Schnurman?

The Star Telegram's local news coverage has improved exponentially in recent years.  Younger reporters that thoroughly cover local news and live tweet their way through local government meetings.  Some of their reporting bleeds over to the local business side of things.

The FWBP has kind of a screwy online presence.  It lags behind and you have to do a lot of digging to find stories.  They need an easily accessible feed of all of their stories instead of chopping them up into more than a dozen different categories.  If it's on their website, I've never found it.

#30 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:40 PM

Yes I agree that the quality has picked up significantly recently. Not long ago it was basically just a page that reposted press releases and police reports.

#31 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:54 PM

Actual firsthand coverage of TRWD and TRV is something that was completely lacking a couple of years ago.  News lagged days behind other online sources if it was covered at all.

#32 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:51 AM

I've noticed the Business Press has a few articles behind paywalls now.

Such as : https://fortworthbus...eek-a-lifeline/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users