• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:01 PM

Is there a statue or tribute other than the TCU stadium to this man? He is quite possibly the most influential person in the history of FW. He is the man that put FW on the map and without his endowments and commitment to TCU we would be in a totally different situation as well. He was the embodiment of FW and loved his hometown university and their athletics. He needs to be cast in bronze somewhere in FW.
GO FROGS!!!

#2 Yossarian

Yossarian

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:31 AM

Is there a statue or tribute other than the TCU stadium to this man?

How about a world renowned museum dedicated to American and Western art?

#3 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:02 AM

Yeah, or any of the other hundred or so buildings with his name on them.

#4 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:18 PM

Only two obstacles to erecting any statue.

#1. Who will pay for it?

#2. Who will let you put it on their property?

BTW, there is a bust of Amon in the lobby of the Startlegram building downtown.

#5 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:16 PM

On a side note. . .

Although this probably predates much of Carter's pro FW boosterism stories, I recently heard this story about NY mayor Fiorello LaGuardia. When flying back from a meeting in DC with FDR, LaGuardia and other officials landed at Newark airport. Everyone else got off the plane, but LaGuardia refused to deboard. He said his ticket clearly stated "New York" and this was Jersey and he wasn't getting off until the plane landed in NY. They took off again and landed at a small airfield in NY (not sure which one--Idlewild maybe?). This inspired him to build an airport for NY later named for him. I found this story very Amon Carter-esque.

#6 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Sep 29 2005, 07:31 AM) View Post

Is there a statue or tribute other than the TCU stadium to this man?

How about a world renowned museum dedicated to American and Western art?

Don't forget:
-former Airport (Amon G. Carter Field)
-Amon Carter Boulevard
-Amon G. Carter Lake
-Amon Carter Peak (Big Bend Nat’l Park)
-Amon Carter School
-Amon Carter Foundation

...I'm sure there's more

#7 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE(hipolyte @ Oct 3 2005, 01:18 PM) View Post

Only two obstacles to erecting any statue.

#1. Who will pay for it?

#2. Who will let you put it on their property?

BTW, there is a bust of Amon in the lobby of the Startlegram building downtown.

I wouldn't know who would pay for it but you found a great place to locate it.

Put it outside of the main entrance to the Star Telegram building downtown. A nice lifesize broze statue on a 2' granite base would be perfect. Another place and possible way of paying for it would be to put it at the stadium with the foundation and TCU paying for it. Or it could be placed at both.
GO FROGS!!!

#8 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:09 AM

How about Amon Carter Museum at American Airline's Flight Academy...

#9 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(TCUTrumpetGuy @ Sep 28 2005, 11:01 PM) View Post

Is there a statue or tribute other than the TCU stadium to this man? He is quite possibly the most influential person in the history of FW. He is the man that put FW on the map and without his endowments and commitment to TCU we would be in a totally different situation as well. He was the embodiment of FW and loved his hometown university and their athletics. He needs to be cast in bronze somewhere in FW.

We also need A JFK. Someone here talked about the Charles Tandy statue as a good place to put all of FW Heros . I think thats a good idea.

If you guys read what I read about Amon Carter . I felt that he was more than pro FW but just as
much anti-Dallas. If he were alive today he would be banned from posting in this web site LOL. rotflmao.gif
Read up on Amon Carter in the Central Library it's a good read.

#10 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:50 AM

There were city leaders in the 1800's who were just as important to Fort Worth's success, like Daggett, Van Zandt, Paddock, etc.
So far the city hasn't been too quick to erect statues to such men. Charles Tandy is a notable exeption.

#11 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:17 PM

How about that wee bust or plaque of JPS. Surely his cause deserves more respect than that. Another notable exception would be, Lee Harvey Oswald? (Record scratch)

Chirp, chirp.

Is this mic on? unsure.gif

I heard he lived or "trained" here, or somthing like that. Not a city leader erected statue type but maybe a notable plaque saying "this is were LHO lived in Fort Worth during his tumultuous years". Kinda cool for those conspiracy travelers.

Oh well, don't take this post as anything too serious enough to discuss. Carry on. biggrin.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#12 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Feb 1 2006, 03:15 PM) View Post

We also need A JFK.

I agree.

JFK's last evening was at the old Hotel Texas, and very special arrangements for the Presidential Suite were attended to by some of the more notable civic matrons of the time, ie. Picasso artwork on the walls, and all.

The demolished theater at the south end of the Convention Center (horrible acoustics, poor placement of basic amenities such as hand-rails, etc) was named in his honor, but since then there is no memorial in Fort Worth of any kind, that I am aware of. Maybe General Worth Square could be re-dubbed Worth-Kennedy Plaza, since General Worth already has a space in Manhattan named for him, as does JFK in spaces all over the world. Surely in a little cowtown like here the two great men could share a poorly designed, auto-bisected intersection over an underground parking garage in front of an apparently doomed public building that used to house most of the significant rock music concerts in the North Texas region.

On the other hand a statue would be cool as well.

#13 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(Prairie Pup @ Feb 3 2006, 08:36 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Feb 1 2006, 03:15 PM) View Post

We also need A JFK.

I agree.

JFK's last evening was at the old Hotel Texas, and very special arrangements for the Presidential Suite were attended to by some of the more notable civic matrons of the time, ie. Picasso artwork on the walls, and all.

The demolished theater at the south end of the Convention Center (horrible acoustics, poor placement of basic amenities such as hand-rails, etc) was named in his honor, but since then there is no memorial in Fort Worth of any kind, that I am aware of. Maybe General Worth Square could be re-dubbed Worth-Kennedy Plaza, since General Worth already has a space in Manhattan named for him, as does JFK in spaces all over the world. Surely in a little cowtown like here the two great men could share a poorly designed, auto-bisected intersection over an underground parking garage in front of an apparently doomed public building that used to house most of the significant rock music concerts in the North Texas region.

On the other hand a statue would be cool as well.

I agree with you PP but not the name . The whole park should be Kennedy park. We can honor General Worth somewhere else. I wold raze the whole block . A statue where JFK stood and a wall with his speech printed out. With other info of course. This would be a giant draw for tourist . I am at a lost why the Convention Board don't push this idea?

I take some comfort in knowing that President Kennedy came at night into Fort Worth the night before and said he was amazed and pleased seeing our Christmas light's on our Downtown. He loved the effect.

#14 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:33 PM

Second the motion for John F. Kennedy Square.

And make the park there General Worth Park.

#15 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:27 AM

Gen. Worth Square

John F. Kennedy Park.

JFK gets way too many upscale POI's named after him and his legacy. It's time that a small relatively unknown touristy town gets to put it's local leadership and roots before him, front and center.

Civic pride should be the ultimate intention with this "matter", not following what's trendy. BTW, after reading up about our dear GWorth in the SQUARE, I found out that he was diagnosed with CHOLERA while in the great city of SA. Hmmm? Salsa was probably a bit too HOT for them Yankees back then? It eventually took his life. So, interesting FW-SA connection there. Maybe not. sad.gif

If I recall, was Gen. Worth a Canadian? dry.gif

I just can't see our city making a BIG hoot about JFK's last half day on EARTH was spent here, collecting hats and boots. And then a small sidenote of who this town is named after following that detail. " Oh, BTW, the town that JFK spent his last "half day" before being gunned down by an assassin(s) IN DALLAS, is named after an Indian fending war decorated Canadian-born General of the US Army. The END." smile.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#16 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:45 AM

General William Jenkins Worth, born in Hudson, New York, 1 March, 1794.

#17 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Feb 8 2006, 05:27 AM) View Post

Gen. Worth Square

John F. Kennedy Park.

JFK gets way too many upscale POI's named after him and his legacy. It's time that a small relatively unknown touristy town gets to put it's local leadership and roots before him, front and center.

smile.gif

Don't really know if Safly is being serious or not (one day we'll figure that out rollwink.gif ), but I have to agree. And before anyone poo-poos me, I do remember where I was when Kennedy was shot, so I'm old enough (and have been accused of being a pinko liberal dem). A statue perhaps, but not a whole park; jeez what isn't named after JFK in this country; If you remember, Cape Canaveral was Cape Kennedy for a few minutes, 'til they changed it back. He was a good man, did some good things, but presidents on either side of him (Truman/LBJ) probably actually did more. No one is ever as great as they are when they are dead. It's been 40 years. Let's honor our own, Worth, Carter, Tandy, Peter Smith, Van Zandt, etc., etc.

Diatribe over eek.gif

#18 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:31 AM

If you consider 'statues' to notable persons as a way to remember our collective history, then General Worth should be recognized...true, there is a large monument to him in New York...because he was a NATIONAL HERO at the time of his death.
His memory was eclipsed by the Civil War, and he was involved in things that were not politically correct by todays standards.
Involvement in what is now considered to be systematic extermination of native Americans is currently frowned upon, and some feel that the Hispanic population of the city may look askance at a memorial to the Hero of Chapultapec, Mexico's West Point, defended to the last man(boy) by it's cadets.
However, Fort Worth is named after him, and his history, though questionable, is our history.
It should be neither buried or forgotten.
Of course, I also think there should also be a statue of JFK (in Worth Square).

#19 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:57 AM

JFK was here longer than Gen. Worth.

#20 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:25 PM

I just can't see our city making a BIG hoot about JFK's last half day on EARTH was spent here, collecting hats and boots. And then a small sidenote of who this town is named after following that detail. " Oh, BTW, the town that JFK spent his last "half day" before being gunned down by an assassin(s) IN DALLAS, is named after an Indian fending war decorated Canadian-born General of the US Army. The END." smile.gif
[/quote]

I was going to give you hat's and boot's for your birthday safly. I'll just havta to think of something else. smilewinkgrin.gif

#21 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(hipolyte @ Feb 8 2006, 10:31 AM) View Post

If you consider 'statues' to notable persons as a way to remember our collective history, then General Worth should be recognized...true, there is a large monument to him in New York...because he was a NATIONAL HERO at the time of his death.
His memory was eclipsed by the Civil War, and he was involved in things that were not politically correct by todays standards.
Involvement in what is now considered to be systematic extermination of native Americans is currently frowned upon, and some feel that the Hispanic population of the city may look askance at a memorial to the Hero of Chapultapec, Mexico's West Point, defended to the last man(boy) by it's cadets.
However, Fort Worth is named after him, and his history, though questionable, is our history.

Interesting historical POV. A lot of what he did and was documented for military histoical accuracy will more than likely be frowned upon. WAR and BATTLE are meant to be frowned upon, and should ALWAYS be a last and final resort. The historical facts about Gen. Worth brings upon great HUMILITY of our past and a keen sense of what is RIGHT for our future. Much like the Alamo in SA, we should reflect upon and honor those who shed their blood for LIBERTY and FREEDOM. Irregardless of what side you believed in. To bring honor in past battles, is to leave a sense of honor and prosperity for our future. A STRONG belief that society will get through the tough times is what should be the underlining point in honoring our fallen ones.

Personally, I would rather honor both, but to bring a different light among both subjects is surely going about it the WRONG WAY. I for one would think that this particular project would never get off the ground, as I am sure that many of political squabbles would take place in regards to the "funding" for this matter. And that would be a very sad sad day in FW's history. sleep.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#22 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(hipolyte @ Feb 8 2006, 08:45 AM) View Post

General William Jenkins Worth, born in Hudson, New York, 1 March, 1794.

Oh OK. I thought there was something he was involved with that made me think of Canada and Gen. Worth. Hudson, NY is pretty darn close to Canada? smile.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#23 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:07 PM

[quote name='Now in Denton' date='Feb 8 2006, 12:25 PM' post='21091']
[/quote]

I was going to give you hat's and boot's for your birthday safly. I'll just havta to think of something else. smilewinkgrin.gif
[/quote]

Straight CASH "HOMIE" will be just fine. Thank you. biggrin.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#24 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(Buck @ Feb 8 2006, 12:57 PM) View Post

JFK was here longer than Gen. Worth.

There's something really, really wrong with how funny that struck me.

#25 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:29 PM

"Much like the Alamo in SA, we should reflect upon and honor those who shed their blood for LIBERTY and FREEDOM. Irregardless of what side you believed in. To bring honor in past battles, is to leave a sense of honor and prosperity for our future. A STRONG belief that society will get through the tough times is what should be the underlining point in honoring our fallen ones. " Safly

Well put. I agree.

#26 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(hipolyte @ Feb 8 2006, 10:31 AM) View Post

A historical park would be a big draw for tourist , everyday people and History buffs .

#27 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:56 AM

Well, if we are talking tourist dollars and draw here. Do you honestly think that the public will assemble arounfd JFK PArk in FW, or where he was actually and notoriously gunned down 25 miles eastward? dry.gif

Look at the competition, make sense out of it and then present a good argument on why it should specifically be in DTFW.
www.iheartfw.com

#28 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Feb 9 2006, 11:56 AM) View Post

Well, if we are talking tourist dollars and draw here. Do you honestly think that the public will assemble arounfd JFK PArk in FW, or where he was actually and notoriously gunned down 25 miles eastward? dry.gif

Look at the competition, make sense out of it and then present a good argument on why it should specifically be in DTFW.

The very so called points you put up is the draw. And I gave my points you gave yours. Done. Look safly JFK, Bush , Cowboy Stadium ect . We don't agree let it go and don't be bitter.

#29 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:42 PM

I'm sorry, I must be a bit confused here. Did not have my Dr.P yet. wacko.gif

What does Reggie Bush have to with this? unsure.gif
www.iheartfw.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users