1194 replies to this topic

#451 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

I went with my niece to the convention center Saturday to watch her daughter and dance group perform.  Lots of kids, and some adults, in weird colorful costumes.  I can't believe this happened in Cowtown!  Posted here rather than in the arts thread because it says something about our city's new image.

http://www.fortworth...98f8338b57.html

The crowds were huge! After Saturday's walking tour, I spent some time at the Water Gardens staring at people in costumes.

The term "kids" might be a bit generous. Most people wearing costumes appeared to be in their older teens or early 20s (around my age).

-Dylan

#452 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

Definitely a big event that adds to Fort Worth's resume of attractions. Hopefully they will return. I know the convention board spent a while making sure it would all go well.

#453 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

I went with my niece to the convention center Saturday to watch her daughter and dance group perform.  Lots of kids, and some adults, in weird colorful costumes.  I can't believe this happened in Cowtown!  Posted here rather than in the arts thread because it says something about our city's new image.

http://www.fortworth...98f8338b57.html

I was out there... had fun, chat with a few of the cosplayers... seemed like everyone was enjoying themselves.

Hope we get more Cons.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#454 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:20 PM

For the second time this season, Ft. Worth was mentioned on American Dad.

https://www.reddit.c...he_area_around/

Appatently, we have mountains... and we're in the desert...

7fwPZnE.png

#455 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

For the second time this season, Ft. Worth was mentioned on American Dad.

https://www.reddit.c...he_area_around/

Appatently, we have mountains... and we're in the desert...

Glad I am not the only one who finds Fort Worth mentioned in pop culture. I got flack for mentioning Fort Worth in the sci-fi show Beyond. I dare not mention when Fort Worth was talked about on Breaking Bad oops I just did. :swg:

#456 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:25 PM

Why would someone give you flack for bringing up a Fort Worth mention on a TV show?

The actor that played Skinny Pete on Breaking Bad lived in Fort Worth at one time.

#457 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

A Bud Kennedy column in the Star-Telegram puts an interesting slant on Fort Worth's image--the growth of higher-educational institutions, most notably the planned Tarleton State University campus on the city's far south side.  As suggested in the column, our city should be promoting higher education rather than western heritage and cowboy culture in order to keep the grads from leaving Fort Worth.

http://www.star-tele...59270849.html#0

#458 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

....As suggested in the column, our city should be promoting higher education rather than western heritage and cowboy culture in order to keep the grads from leaving Fort Worth....

No; such a suggestion was never made. 

From the FWST column -

"We sell the Western culture and heritage, and that’s a very authentic message,” said Bill Burton of Hillwood Properties"

Burton was speaking recently about marketing Fort Worth’s location in a region known for computers and technology.  JTo chase a piece of computer and technology pie by chucking the true, single identity that the City has is like "throwing the baby out with the bath water". We can have both.

#459 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:33 AM

Yeah, I put too much spin against western heritage and cowboy culture.  As Bud Kennedy writes, "Cowtown can also be a college town."

#460 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

I thought it was interesting when I saw the story about the Lockheed Martin job fair in DT Fort Worth. CBS 11 talked with a man who flew in from Virginia. He said he just found out about the job fair just the day before. Not much more detail was given. I would love to know if he heard of or been to Fort Worth before? How did he find out about the fair ? But in the end he got a job !  :smwink: I love Fort Worth overall Western Image. And I have no problem with that image includes Van Cliburn or Fort Worth part in Aviation history. But Image is way overrated when it comes to people wanting and looking for jobs. I don't think the Virginia guy gave any thought about Fort Worth image.  

#461 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:17 AM

I agree.  Image isn't everything but first impressions are important to an outsider seeking relocation to a new job.  If you come from Virginia to secure a Lockheed Martin position, I believe that company offers relocation assistance. That much is a comfort.  There is the thrill of adventure in leaving the elitist Virginia culture and beautiful picturesque environs for the wide open spaces and downhome mesquite-and-sagebrush state of Texas.

Then, hopefully, you're hired.  And, with L-M's assistance, you move into a new home somewhere in  Fort Worth, or if you like living far out, then in Haslet.  Meantime, you do some sightseeing around Fort Worth and, of course, at some time you visit Dallas.  But, if you like a pleasant less-crowded, less traffic-congested environment, you prefer Fort Worth.  I would suspect that, if you are from Virginia, you like the high-quality cultural aspects of our city.   Private schools for the kids.  Depending on your religion, one of FW's good churches.  The Kimbell Art Museum and the Reata restaurant for the family.  Crockett Row for young adults.  But a Virginia family may want something different from where it originated, so it may on occasion want to tour the Stockyards. 

#462 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

As somebody who once relocated to Fort Worth for a job, I can say the absolute last thing on my mind was the "Cowboy Culture". Salary, taxes, and cost of living are the first things a prospective hire is going to care about. Schools if they have a family. Proximity to other jobs in the same industry. This is why pretending to be a cow town when you're really an aviation town is counter productive.
  • JBB likes this

#463 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:32 PM

From a tourism standpoint, I think there's still plenty of value in the Cowtown promotion.  It's easy to lose sight of its popularity if you've been here for awhile.  From a job promotion standpoint, of course the Cowtown image doesn't carry much weight.  I think the same could be said for other cities and their promoted image.

#464 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:02 PM

As somebody who once relocated to Fort Worth for a job, I can say the absolute last thing on my mind was the "Cowboy Culture". Salary, taxes, and cost of living are the first things a prospective hire is going to care about. Schools if they have a family. Proximity to other jobs in the same industry. This is why pretending to be a cow town when you're really an aviation town is counter productive.

I agree but the last point. Fort Worth is not pretending. How many people in Boston are still fighting the British ? How many people in San Francisco are still panning for gold? Or even pray to Saint Francis that was named by the Spanish ? How many real Dallas Cowboys are in Dallas today ? How many active military Forts are in Fort Worth today ? Many cities ,sports teams and even companies live in the past. If others cities also have same or similar history. So be it. 

#465 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

.... pretending to be a cow town when you're really an aviation town is counter productive.

Fort Worth was established in 1843...The Kitty Hawk took place in North Carolina in 1903.   Fort Worth was a military post and late a major hub/transit of cattle 30 years before the first airplane and another 50 years as cattleman stockyard hub. Even though it has a sizeable aviation sector, Fort Worth was from the beginning, and through its formative years; and Fort Worth is still today a historically accurate Cow Town.

#466 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:14 PM

The beauty of it is the diversity. Don't like the cow image? There's something else you can probably find to better suit your interests. 

Cowboy's & Culture is quite accurate, IMO.

#467 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:45 PM

Cowtown is part of our heritage, and is a great way of attracting tourists.

For some reason, we're not doing a good job of attracting new companies and development to our city. Dallas and its suburbs are attracting large companies from elsewhere around the country, but Fort Worth isn't. Dallas and its suburbs are seeing an explosion of new suburban office buildings, but Fort Worth isn't.

-Dylan

#468 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:45 PM

Exactly. Well said.

#469 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:10 AM

For some reason, we're not doing a good job of attracting new companies and development to our city.

Right, that's my point.  If Armour and Swift were still around and doing job fairs, and hiring 500 people on the spot for high paying jobs, then promoting the cowtown image would be the right thing to do.  But look at Fort Worth's major employers.  It's AA, Carswell, Lockheed, Bell - guess what, that's the aviation industry.  People that are considering relocating here want to know if the job they relocate for falls through, there's a lot more jobs just like it around the corner.  And businesses want to know they can find the workforce here.  Yes, people and companies could go figure this out for themselves, but the City should be out there shouting to the rafters that this is an aviation town. 

You say "we can have both" but in reality, the city will only get one chance to tell people who it is.  And right now it's telling people it's a cow town.  That's great for tourism (maybe?) but not great for luring manufacturing companies and high skilled workers to the area.

#470 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

You say "we can have both" but in reality, the city will only get one chance to tell people who it is.  And right now it's telling people it's a cow town.  That's great for tourism (maybe?) but not great for luring manufacturing companies and high skilled workers to the area.

BS.  You get multiple chances.  And cowtown is just one identity the city portrays.  Usually right after that they cite the museums, aviation, high tech, etc.

Yes, you *can* have it all.

My blog: Doohickie

#471 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

BS.  You get multiple chances.

Okay here's a cherry-picked example. Nonsense article about flying cars by 2020 in "DFW".

http://cw33.com/2017...by-2020-in-dfw/

Engineering Director of Aviation, Mark Moore says, "Dallas has got a great aviation history and is very aviation friendly. There's American Airlines, Southwest."

He didn't say Fort Worth there - for a reason! Because "everybody knows" the aviation side of the metroplex is off to the East. It's nonsense, but that's what's in people's heads.

#472 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:29 AM

Fort Worth was a military post and late a major hub/transit of cattle 30 years before the first airplane and another 50 years as cattleman stockyard hub. Even though it has a sizeable aviation sector, Fort Worth was from the beginning, and through its formative years; and Fort Worth is still today a historically accurate Cow Town.

Right. It was a cowtown, and it is an aviation town. I agree with you.

The question is - what's the future of Fort Worth's economy?  Where do "real dollars" come from?  AA, Lockheed, and Carswell employ about 50,000 people combined - if you pretend the average salary of those jobs is around $40k, that's about $2 Billion (with a B ) in economic impact every year.  You have to sell a lot of souvenir cowboy boots to get to numbers like that.

#473 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

... But look at Fort Worth's major employers..... but the City should be out there shouting to the rafters that this is an aviation town....You say "we can have both" but in reality, the city will only get one chance to tell people who it is.  And right now it's telling people it's a cow town.  That's great for tourism (maybe?) but not great for luring manufacturing companies and high skilled workers to the area.....Right. It was a cowtown, and it is an aviation town. I agree with you.  The question is - what's the future of Fort Worth's economy?  Where do "real dollars" come from?  AA, Lockheed, and Carswell employ about 50,000 people combined - if you pretend the average salary of those jobs is around $40k, that's about $2 Billion (with a B ) in economic impact every year.  You have to sell a lot of souvenir cowboy boots to get to numbers like that.

All cities have history and jobs components and probably some other components that needn't be threshed out here right now.

I was born a Texan, and for better or worse, will always be a Texan.  It is my history and I cannot get away from that fact even if I relocated to some other place. You visit Richmond, VA and you will be saturated with its Civil War history even though the Civil War no longer exists.  Tourist come to Richmond expecting a recreation and to understand that history. Fort Worth's image was and is burnished in the Cattle Era; and not so surprisingly, tourist from U.S. and from abroad are drawn to it.  Your skepticism about it being great for tourism is plainly wrong, but it is also dismissive of the history of this City.

Now to your point about jobs and the future.  Based upon your criteria, there could be a bidding war over what is the current and future image of Fort Worth. I will begin the bidding with a few worthy candidates:

"Warehouse Town"

"Railyard Town"

"Silo Town"

Ultimately, your conclusion that finds that "one image is a negative upon the other" is a flawed conclusion that iis in opposition of the way all cities seek to make themselves unique and interesting to the tourism industry.  I think that a certain kind of employment is being touted over other kinds of employment. Fort Worth is already behind the 8-ball when it comes to that game. However, a robust tourism campaign yields the potential to attract new residents and new residents create the demand for products and services.  I am not so interested in what the city to the east is doing as I am interested in what strategy will make this City relevant in the future.

• JBB likes this

#474 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

BS.  You get multiple chances.

Okay here's a cherry-picked example. Nonsense article about flying cars by 2020 in "DFW".

http://cw33.com/2017...by-2020-in-dfw/

Engineering Director of Aviation, Mark Moore says, "Dallas has got a great aviation history and is very aviation friendly. There's American Airlines, Southwest."

He didn't say Fort Worth there - for a reason! Because "everybody knows" the aviation side of the metroplex is off to the East. It's nonsense, but that's what's in people's heads.

More laziness than anything else I suspect.

#475 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

Ultimately, your conclusion that finds that "one image is a negative upon the other" is a flawed conclusion

This is what I don't get:  How some people view the world as a series of dichotomies:  "Either this or that.  BUT NOT BOTH."  That's just crazy talk.  The world is far more nuanced than that.

#476 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

You haven't been paying attention to politics recently.

#477 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

Ever wondered why so many images of Austin, Texas covered the airwaves or why so many commercials are produced in Austin?

I think there are major reasons for this -

(1) the State Commission for the Film Industry is located there;

(2) City of Austin is by far the most active applicant and the largest recipient of state funds for local filming projects.\

(3) University of Texas ranked 12th in the world for Radio-TV-Film.

Here are two articles in the Fort Worth Business Press that show that Fort Worth is considered to have a distinctive character sought by production companies; and yet, Fort Worth & CVB are neglecting an industry that can create jobs and promote tourism for the City. UNT, UTA and TCU have RTF Departments; and can provide a continuing supply of students/talent necessary to meet the demand for industry workers. 

Besides, I want to be in the movies. :swg:

http://www.fortworth...498069ba2c.html

http://www.fortworth...031554271e.html

#478 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

Did you see this story?

http://www.fortworth...79c970f5be.html

#479 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:17 PM

Yes. "Fort Worth tiene mucho talento". :swg:

#480 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

An Image of Fort Worth (a Panther) drawn on the Image of Fort Worth (a map) by my Strava tracker during last night's bicycle ride.

21014211_1379090072139879_45639184382224

#481 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:16 AM

Very cool. What's the distance on that? I'm getting tired just looking at it.

#482 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

It's a bit under 20 miles.  Then with the "to" and "from" my house, I rode 38 miles last night.  It was a Night Riders group ride.  Last night's leader, Durango, is a pretty fast rider so it was a pretty good workout.

I got home about a half hour before the rain started in earnest.

#483 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

Very nice Doohickie. We could call that the Panther City circuit. I'm going to have to give that a shot.

It could also pass as the Sphinx btw

#484 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:31 PM

Just be careful on Rosedale west of Forest Park.

#485 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

....Well I been channel surfing of late. CNN and FOX  have been talking with people from Fort Worth.....

Why were CNN and FOX talking with people from Fort Worth?

#486 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

....Well I been channel surfing of late. CNN and FOX  have been talking with people from Fort Worth.....

Why were CNN and FOX talking with people from Fort Worth?

Largest conservative city would be my guess.  All the cities larger than us have Democratic mayors, if I'm not mistaken.

#487 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

FWST, 10/02/17 - "As a university [TCU] and as a city [Fort Worth], coming into the Big 12 [conference] totally changed the whole outlook of everything that's happened here in Fort Worth and TCU".

Coach Patterson routinely without prompting evokes Fort Worth in conversations with the media, student athletics and their parents to be everlasting betterment of the City.  Students and parents are immediately taken by the beauty of the campus and the coziness, cleanliness and the atmosphere overall of both Fort Worth and TCU.

Gary Patterson and TCU - love the hell out of you!

#488 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:32 AM

News of this "huge" new Facebook data center planned for the Alliance area has been posted in another thread, but I think it augments a point about the changing image of Fort Worth.  We've been talking about the North Texas regional bid for Amazon's second headquarters (another thread) about the time this news story broke about Facebook's new FW data center in Alliance Texas.

http://www.star-tele...e178193461.html

So what new image Fort Worth?  I can't help thinking of a logic game that goes,  "Fort Worth is to Alliance Texas as Dallas is to Frisco."  But that wouldn't be entirely accurate because Alliance Texas is really north Fort Worth whereas Frisco is an independent community, albeit a "suburb," of Dallas.  What worries me, especially since the Amazon affair, is that Fort Worth may become perceived as another Dallas "Frisco."  In that Amazon-related thread I posted an MSN slideshow listing our regional bid under the label "Dallas."  Is this the wave of the future running against an independent identity for Fort Worth?

Again, this concerns me.  If the regional perspective ultimately consumes the once-upon-a-time Fort Worth vs. Dallas competition for economic development, the future "image" of Fort Worth may be that our city becomes just another of the Planos, Friscos, and McKinneys of the Dallas region.  I don't know if there's anything we Fort Worthians can do about that kind of image.

#489 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

This is a tough one, and I may be going off on a tangent.  First of all Amazon did ask for a proposal from one Metro area each.  I think in this situation, to comply with the request, Fort Worth and Dallas had to submit one proposal.  It would have been a shame if all of DFW was eliminated because we didn't comply with their requests.

As for the image of Fort Worth, I really think the general public has to follow Joel Burns' campaign a few years ago.  We should put pressure on our companies, TV stations, radio stations, and the media to call Fort Worth what it is -- Fort Worth!  Even though architecture is the focus of my website, one of the reasons that I started it was to promote Fort Worth.  We have two of the four "big" local network TV affiliates based in Fort Worth.  We should put pressure on Channel 5 and Channel 11 to single out and identify Fort Worth.  I do realize that they are licensed to serve both cities, but the physical locations of both stations is within our City Limits.  I also think that when Channel 5 moved from Broadcast Hill to Centreport (and stayed in the city), they were asked to put Fort Worth ahead of Dallas.  I think they have done better since they relocated, but they could do more.  There is more that I could say about this, but we should do everything we can to promote our city.

#490 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

Well as long as we get businesses and corporations to relocate here and that helps our citys economic future and our growth in the end does it really matter that we are considered another Frisco. I think our separate identity and our obsession with trying to be recognizable and better than Dallas only matters in a pissing contest and when we want to beat our chest.

We have to face the fact that we are always going to be less important of a city in the public eye because Dallas is our neighbor. Their name is on one of the most successful sports teams in the world, they had an iconic TV show named after it and a popular President was killed there. We cant change those facts, but in the end who cares. Does being known make a city better?

I want to live in a city that is trying to make itself as livable as it possibly can to its residents and to attract new residents and visitors. I want to live in a city that has a great history, great museums, a beautiful downtown, vibrant walkable neighborhoods, varied outdoor activities and a charming character. That is what Fort Worth has or what it is striving to be. All those things make a great city to me.

I used to travel quite a bit for work when I lived in SF and people I met would ask me where I was from originally. I would say I was from Dallas/Fort Worth and on several occasions, too many to count, many people would reply You know Ive been there but I like Fort Worth much better than Dallas. Then I would interject and say well actually I am from Fort Worth and I was filled with pride saying that. Several of my friends from the West Coast have visited me and they have really loved it. They say they like that it is genuine, friendly, and feels completely comfortable with who it is. Theyve also told me that Dallas feels fake, generic and that its trying to hard to impress and they have no real reason to want to visit it again. This is coming from well traveled people who have visited many places around the world.

I also love it when I go out and run into people who are visiting or have recently moved here and they tell me how they have been surprised by our city, how much fun they have had, how safe our city feels and how pretty and clean our city is. Many of those people believe Fort Worth is a hidden gem and more and more people are starting to discover that.

#491 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

Well as long as we get businesses and corporations to relocate here and that helps our citys economic future and our growth in the end does it really matter that we are considered another Frisco. I think our separate identity and our obsession with trying to be recognizable and better than Dallas only matters in a pissing contest and when we want to beat our chest.

Expressing a reasoned opinion?  Why, that's just crazy talk! 

#492 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:19 PM

Yes, it does matter. We can't just let our history as a metro anchor fall by the wayside.

Fort Worth (the town) was established before the railroad. Fort Worth has always been a center of commerce. Fort Worth was (and is) influential enough to spur its own suburbs. Fort Worth did not grow because of Dallas or any other city. This is in contrast to Frisco- they are growing because of Dallas.

Fort Worth is one of the few large U.S. metro anchors that isn't widely recognized as one. That's not fair, and our image is likely costing us business.

-Dylan

#493 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:01 AM

This is a tough one, and I may be going off on a tangent.  First of all Amazon did ask for a proposal from one Metro area each.  I think in this situation, to comply with the request, Fort Worth and Dallas had to submit one proposal.  It would have been a shame if all of DFW was eliminated because we didn't comply with their requests.

As for the image of Fort Worth, I really think the general public has to follow Joel Burns' campaign a few years ago.  We should put pressure on our companies, TV stations, radio stations, and the media to call Fort Worth what it is -- Fort Worth!  Even though architecture is the focus of my website, one of the reasons that I started it was to promote Fort Worth.  We have two of the four "big" local network TV affiliates based in Fort Worth.  We should put pressure on Channel 5 and Channel 11 to single out and identify Fort Worth.  I do realize that they are licensed to serve both cities, but the physical locations of both stations is within our City Limits.  I also think that when Channel 5 moved from Broadcast Hill to Centreport (and stayed in the city), they were asked to put Fort Worth ahead of Dallas.  I think they have done better since they relocated, but they could do more.  There is more that I could say about this, but we should do everything we can to promote our city.

Sorry in advance for my tangent and my many explanation points. But this hit a nerve with me. I do just that Mr. Roberts. In fact all the time. "follow Joel Burns' campaign" But I call my campaign more on the lines of Amon Carter. For example. Earlier this year. Remember the story of the 14 year old boy Carson Huey who graduated from TCU ? I think he started at TCU at age 11. Well CBS evening news David Begnaud. Was AT the TCU campus and did a sit down interview with him. So this story is going nationwide. And we all know where TCU is. No where close to Dallas. 

Well at the end of the story he signed off "This is David Begnaud in DALLAS" To say that I was furious is a understatement !  I twitted Mr. Begnaud. Asking him why he sign off "Dallas" ?  And he replied !  "it was filed in Dallas" HUH ?  Needless to say as you know Mr. Roberts. We all know where the main station is in Fort Worth not Dallas ! I told him the main CBS station for North Texas is still in Fort Worth ! So that argument don't fly. He said "If we file from the scene then we say that city that we are in. But if we file from our Bureau then we say were our bureau is and that is in Dallas"  Again... HUH ? He was AT the TCU campus ! Even if what he said made sense. And it don't. That is totally ridiculous. And I told him so.

Up until now I think I was too mad to post this here. But again I do fight for Fort Worth all the time. I just cannot let this kind of thing just go by without me at least trying. You win some you lose some. But like Joel Burns, Jim Lane, Amon Carter. We just have that Fort Worth fight in us I guess. I agree "we should do everything we can to promote the city"  

#494 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

Yes, it does matter. We can't just let our history as a metro anchor fall by the wayside.

Fort Worth (the town) was established before the railroad. Fort Worth has always been a center of commerce. Fort Worth was (and is) influential enough to spur its own suburbs. Fort Worth did not grow because of Dallas or any other city. This is in contrast to Frisco- they are growing because of Dallas.

Fort Worth is one of the few large U.S. metro anchors that isn't widely recognized as one. That's not fair, and our image is likely costing us business.

Sorry in advance for my tangent and my many explanation points. But this hit a nerve with me. I do just that Mr. Roberts. In fact all the time. "follow Joel Burns' campaign" But I call my campaign more on the lines of Amon Carter. For example. Earlier this year. Remember the story of the 14 year old boy Carson Huey who graduated from TCU ? I think he started at TCU at age 11. Well CBS evening news David Begnaud. Was AT the TCU campus and did a sit down interview with him. So this story is going nationwide. And we all know where TCU is. No where close to Dallas. 

Well at the end of the story he signed off "This is David Begnaud in DALLAS" To say that I was furious is a understatement !  I twitted Mr. Begnaud. Asking him why he sign off "Dallas" ?  And he replied !  "it was filed in Dallas" HUH ?  Needless to say as you know Mr. Roberts. We all know where the main station is in Fort Worth not Dallas ! I told him the main CBS station for North Texas is still in Fort Worth ! So that argument don't fly. He said "If we file from the scene then we say that city that we are in. But if we file from our Bureau then we say were our bureau is and that is in Dallas"  Again... HUH ? He was AT the TCU campus ! Even if what he said made sense. And it don't. That is total ridiculous. And I told him so.

Up until now I think I was too mad to post this here. But again I do fight for Fort Worth all the time. I just cannot let this kind of thing just go by without me at least trying. You win some you lose some. But like Joel Burns, Jim Lane, Amon Carter. We just have that Fort Worth fight in us I guess. I agree "we should do everything we can to promote the city"  

An enormous  " I agree" with PAS and NID. 

"Bravo!"

#495 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:53 PM

Well at the end of the story he signed off "This is David Begnaud in DALLAS" To say that I was furious is a understatement ! 

The video I see shows him saying "David Begnaud-CBS News-Fort Worth, Texas."

Unfortunately, CBS News (not David himself) followed his story with a shot of the Dallas skyline.

-Dylan

#496 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

Yes we all know that it was established before the railroad and that is why I said that I love it’s history and cultural identity. It has been those things you mentioned and it will continue to be those things.

I think most people do view Fort Worth as a large metro area in it’s own right but many forumers believe that somehow we are slighted because people talk about Dallas first. I’m just saying that is always going to be the case because Dallas is the bigger city and is more recognizable worldwide because of the reasons I mentioned in my initial post. I’m trying to say who cares if Dallas is talked about first. We are and can still be a great city with them as our neighbor. Actually we don’t really have a choice unless we can find a way to move an entire metro area. LOL

Also, Fort Worth does get noticed and that’s why it has been included on a lot of “Best Places” lists. I think we are one of the most recognizable anchors but you are not seeing it because of homerism. When do other anchor cities like St. Paul, St. Petersburg, Oakland & Newark get mentioned in the public media. Not much, besides Oakland and that’s because they have professional sports teams.

Finally, to be honest if Fort Worth isn’t getting the business you think we deserve I blame that on 2 things. The first is that we have a terrible ISD. Most new families that come to a new area look into school districts as a determining factor of where they are going to relocate. My partner who is Commercial & Residential broker thinks that is our main reason why businesses turn us down and choose places like Frisco & McKinney. Secondly, and most importantly IMO, our city council and leaders have made it abundantly clear that they want to keep in place what makes Fort Worth the charming city it is and that’s our “Big City with a small town charm” motto. They as well as many forumers on here know that’s what makes us stand out as an excellent city. However, with that leading their mantra they have made it extremely difficult for businesses and developers to jump into the (Dickies) Arena.... see what I did there. Many of those entities do not have the time or capital to sit around and wait through our grueling process so they move on and the word about those entanglements has spread throughout the business community . Fort Worth’s ails on the business front are of it’s own making and they will continue to shoot themselves in the foot unless they lighten up on and speed up that process.

Ultimately what I am trying to say is I could care less about what others think about our “image” and that we are not as recognizable. I care about creating a livable & inviting city. One that is trying to serve it’s citizens while promoting smart growth. Baltimore and Detroit are both recognizable cities... Does that make them a better city because of it. Maybe to some people they are. I guess it all comes down to the eye of the beholder.

#497 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

Something refreshing. 

MSNBC on air interview with Congressman Veasey takes place with the Downtown Skyline in the background as viewed from the West Fork Trinity River @ Northside Drive.

Like I said, refreshing.

#498 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

From last night TCU game, I saw something that I've never seen during a broadcast before...

https://twitter.com/...923277022547968

7fwPZnE.png

#499 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

ESPN briefly showed the Fort Worth skyline during a race at TMS several years ago.

-Dylan

#500 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

That's a nice view.  Is that from one of the Left Bank buildings ir a drone shot?  That was great for TCU to get a prime time slot on a network last night, especially when game 7 of the ALCS was relegated to one of the Fox cable channels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users