583 replies to this topic

#551 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:21 PM

The article mentions nothing about a companion bill in the House (terrible reporting in my opinion), but I would think that keeping one off of the floor of the House would be right in the speaker's wheelhouse this session.  

#552 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

State Senator Konni Burton is proposing a bill that could derail TEX Rail....

Unless Colleyville has its own senatorial district, I imagine that this bill is being met with absolute bewilderment by Grapevine.

Not only is it obstructionism; what a birdbrain idea is this? :wacko:

#553 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

The platforms at the T&P are being extended to accommodate the longer trains. 

C9fBnIIU0AAnKcz.jpg

#554 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,322 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

Austin, I was there today, but not up on the platform.

#555 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:01 PM

That's where I got off the TRE for today's walking tour. Didn't take a picture, though.

- Dylan

#556 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

I was in Grapevine last night for dinner and on the way home I noticed they have begun track work West of Hwy 114. It looked like they plowed the old tracks, removing all the old ties and rail. The new concrete ties were stacked and ready to be laid and the new welded rail has been lying along the right of way for some time.

I'm not sure what kind of roadbed work they are planning to do before they put the new ties down. They have cut a pretty deep furrow in the old roadbed. This probably is putting a ding in the Grapevine Railroads tourist operation for a few days.

#557 Electricron

Electricron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:00 AM

Longer TexRail trains? 

Per TexRail, these trains are going to be 266 feet long. it'll have 229 seats with a crush load capacity of 488. It'll also have one ADA compliant restroom.

A F59PH locomotive is 58 feet long, Each Bombardier Bilevel coach is 85 feet long. A locomotive and three coaches is 313 feet long, longer than the TexRail train by almost 50 feet. I've seen four coaches running behind a locomotive before on the TRE, and that's another 85 feet, a whopping 398 feet. 

They aren't lengthening the platform to accommodate a longer train. They are lengthening the platform so it can service more than two trains at once. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the low floor heights of the Bombardier and Stadler trains are different, because that's about the only valid reason to accommodate more than two trains at once with a sole island platform. Otherwise, they could have just added tail tracks and not have to lengthen  the platform. 

#558 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

The T shared a photo of the machine which places new track going through Grapevine

C_3toC4UQAA0U6U.jpg

#559 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

Another photo from The T, showing the bridge which will carry TexRail over the freight yard and then under Belknap & Weatherford

DACNfShUAAEKL4y.jpg

#560 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:05 AM

Didn't get a picture, but a small portion of the flyover bridge east of Beach Street was in place yesterday.

- Dylan

#561 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

Another photo from The T, showing the bridge which will carry TexRail over the freight yard and then under Belknap & Weatherford

DACNfShUAAEKL4y.jpg

Thanks for posting this photo!

I went by there Saturday taking a train from North Yard to Davidson Yard. From my vantage point I could only see the orange pylons in the yard shown above. I didn't see any of the piers to the west of the yard.

Along the way I also saw some work being done where the TRE/UP Duncan Sub goes under the UP Choctaw Sub and the bridge connecting 4th/5th/6th/7th Streets, but it was unclear what it would become. The south platform track at T&P station has been completely removed; I'm not sure what the plan is there.

At Deen Road, some work has been done separating the oil facility at the NE corner of Long Avenue and Deen Road from the railroad tracks. There is also work being done under the Long Avenue overpass of the FWWR main and UP Choctaw M1 just west of Deen Road. A flyover is to be constructed in this area, but it's already a tight fit, so it should be interesting to follow the progress in this area. FWWR is making many improvements to their yard at Hodge during the I35W construction so it's a little difficult to distinguish what improvements are theirs vs. what's being done for Texrail.

Finally, most of the piers at Old Denton and Meacham are in place. It shouldn't be long before deck construction begins there. I drive by this location several times a week so the progress seems more gradual to me, but it is coming along. It's more difficult to get a good look at the maintenance base, but I have spotted a construction entrance along Long Avenue with FWTA signage.

#562 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

DACNfShUAAEKL4y.jpg

Makes me sad that TexRail did not choose to construct a similar flyover at the Stockyards which would have given the district a station of its own.

Politics and developers at odds.

#563 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

DACNfShUAAEKL4y.jpg

Makes me sad that TexRail did not choose to construct a similar flyover at the Stockyards which would have given the district a station of its own.

Like how? 

I'm trying to get a visual of what you're talking about.

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#564 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

Like how? ....I'm trying to get a visual of what you're talking about.

Engineering the tracks by creating an arch or curve at the east edge of the Stockyard District so that the track/station is on land that could be developed as a part of the SD.

It seems obvious to me and to what I envisioned that a design could have been done.

#565 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

They're using that area next to 23rd or north of 28th?

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

#566 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

Yes, but just imagine a commuter train station interfaced into the residential and commercial development planned for that tract of land.

#567 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:33 PM

Yes, but just imagine a commuter train station interfaced into the residential and commercial development planned for that tract of land.

No, I'm asking which is being used.

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

#568 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

Okay. I understand your question.

TexRail decided to use land at the Decatur and Brennan Avenues intersection, land that is between 23rd and 28th Streets. 

The selection of the land was controversial because Grapevine understood and supported a station at FWSY District.  Grapevine threatened to pull out of the project, but eventually accepted the decision. 

IMO, a station on land that is a part of the FWSY District would have been awesome; and would have been a plus to the developer of the FWSY District.  The FWSY District will be served with a shuttle between the TexRail Station/Decatur Ave and it.  TexRail has expectations of the Decatur Station becoming a successful TOD.

#569 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:04 AM

TexRail decided to use land at the Decatur and Brennan Avenues intersection, land that is between 23rd and 28th Streets. 

The selection of the land was controversial because Grapevine understood and supported a station at FWSY District.  Grapevine threatened to pull out of the project, but eventually accepted the decision. 

IMO, a station on land that is a part of the FWSY District would have been awesome; and would have been a plus to the developer of the FWSY District.  The FWSY District will be served with a shuttle between the TexRail Station/Decatur Ave and it.  TexRail has expectations of the Decatur Station becoming a successful TOD.

Ok, so it's the one closest to the Stockyards.

It may cost extra, BUT, it's still possible to connect the Stockyards to the station. Build a bridge over the tracks to connect to a bus (or future streetcar) station in the newly developed extension of the Stockyards. It'll cost extra and several things would have to happen in between... but it's still possible.

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

#570 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:54 AM

Looking at google maps that area is heavy industrial.TOD would have lots of clean up and costs to make that location work. Stockyards would too but at least it already has movement to help the economics.

#571 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

At least gentrification is less of an issue in industrial areas. I haven't really seen any plans for TOD in the area, which is odd considering all the zoning and design work for the Berry St station which wont even be built for several years. 

#572 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

At least gentrification is less of an issue in industrial areas. I haven't really seen any plans for TOD in the area, which is odd considering all the zoning and design work for the Berry St station which wont even be built for several years. 

Well that is one of the projected Urban Villages, so that was probably gonna happen regardless of a TEXRail station existing or not.

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

#573 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:22 PM

The city owns a huge chunk of land South of Brennan leading towards the river. Currently the auto pound. Could make a nice area for TOD and Riverfront development.

#574 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

The city owns a huge chunk of land South of Brennan leading towards the river. Currently the auto pound. Could make a nice area for TOD and Riverfront development.

Do you know what part(s)?

Because I see a couple in-pound lots, a pad site, and recycling place.

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

#575 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

Looking at google maps that area is heavy industrial.TOD would have lots of clean up and costs to make that location work. Stockyards would too but at least it already has movement to help the economics.

Do you know what part(s)?....Because I see a couple in-pound lots, a pad site, and recycling place.

Actually, there is a park on the east boundary of the projected TEXRail Station that has a potential of becoming a nice urban village redevelopment scheme. 

#576 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

Actually, the station will be just north of 28th street- the further of the two original options. It will serve as a bus hub for the northern part of town.

Had the Brennan / 23rd street site been selected, I'd argue a pedestrian bridge could've been built over the freight tracks.

- Dylan

#577 Electricron

Electricron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:50 AM

How many flyovers would be needed to get to the Stockyards? More than the one that you suggested.

The first flyover crosses UP tracks near the yard by the old Purina plant to get TexRail from the west side to the east side of the UP tracks.TexRail will be building a new bridge over the Trinity River - there''s already three existing railroad bridges crossing the river at that location north of downtown Fort Worth. The new bridge has to be to the east of the existing bridges, the reason for the first flyover.

A second flyover to cross the UP, BNSG, and FWWR tracks at Tower 60 to go to the northwest side of that tower's diamond crossings. 

And if the engineer doesn't with cabs while at the Stockyard Station, a third flyover will be needed go go east on the Cotton Belt corridor crossing over the UP and BNSF tracks again.

That's a lot of flyovers just to put a station nearer the Stockyards than the one FWTA is building - a station still over a half mile away from the Stockyards. Most people will be expecting some sort of ride because for some that's much too far to walk considering the amount of walking required to see all the sights at the Stockyards to begin with. 

GVRR should still be running "Puffy" directly between Grapevine and the Stockyards anyways - TexRail doesn't have to do it!

#578 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:32 AM

Actually, the station will be just north of 28th street- the further of the two original options. It will serve as a bus hub for the northern part of town.

Had the Brennan / 23rd street site been selected, I'd argue a pedestrian bridge could've been built over the freight tracks.

Oh... that kinda sucks.

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

#579 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:10 PM

How many flyovers would be needed to get to the Stockyards? More than the one that you suggested.

The first flyover crosses UP tracks near the yard by the old Purina plant to get TexRail from the west side to the east side of the UP tracks.TexRail will be building a new bridge over the Trinity River - there''s already three existing railroad bridges crossing the river at that location north of downtown Fort Worth. The new bridge has to be to the east of the existing bridges, the reason for the first flyover.

A second flyover to cross the UP, BNSG, and FWWR tracks at Tower 60 to go to the northwest side of that tower's diamond crossings. 

And if the engineer doesn't with cabs while at the Stockyard Station, a third flyover will be needed go go east on the Cotton Belt corridor crossing over the UP and BNSF tracks again.

That's a lot of flyovers just to put a station nearer the Stockyards than the one FWTA is building - a station still over a half mile away from the Stockyards. Most people will be expecting some sort of ride because for some that's much too far to walk considering the amount of walking required to see all the sights at the Stockyards to begin with. 

GVRR should still be running "Puffy" directly between Grapevine and the Stockyards anyways - TexRail doesn't have to do it!

No, I'm not arguing TEX Rail should be built over the freight tracks. I'm aware that would be crazy expensive.

I'm arguing that a pedestrian bridge could've been built over the freight tracks had the other site been selected.

- Dylan

#580 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

How many flyovers would be needed to get to the Stockyards? More than the one that you suggested....That's a lot of flyovers just to put a station nearer the Stockyards than the one FWTA is building - a station still over a half mile away from the Stockyards...GVRR should still be running "Puffy" directly between Grapevine and the Stockyards anyways - TexRail doesn't have to do it!

One!

It amazing how doing something to enhance the FWSY gets push back nary a wimper was said against the Irving Flyover on TRE.  Consistent nay saying about Fort Worth regarding the needs of the something.

Two questions:

(1) Why is there a need for a station on 28th Street if not for the FWSY?

(2) How is having GVRR connecting Grapevine to FWSY enhancing Fort Worth stations that are south of the FWSY; are you even aware that GVRR is a weekend tourist ride and would not be considered transit? 

#581 Electricron

Electricron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:13 AM

One!

It amazing how doing something to enhance the FWSY gets push back nary a wimper was said against the Irving Flyover on TRE.  Consistent nay saying about Fort Worth regarding the needs of the something.

Two questions:

(1) Why is there a need for a station on 28th Street if not for the FWSY?

(2) How is having GVRR connecting Grapevine to FWSY enhancing Fort Worth stations that are south of the FWSY; are you even aware that GVRR is a weekend tourist ride and would not be considered transit? 

Yes, I am aware.

Did you not read that the 28th Street Station was going to become a major bus transfer hub for North Fort Worth?  Intermodal is the key for making any overall transit system work - buses and trains must work together. The proposed 23rd Street site had very lousy access, to both the neighborhood and buses.  

Besides, the 28th Street Station location isn't that much farther away from the FWSY than the 23rd Street location. One street borders the southern boundary of the FWSY, the other street borders the northern boundary. In both cases, for those willing to walk or bike that distance, a new pathway/bikeway could be built.

28th Street is already grade separated from all three railroads for both vehicles and pedestrians, 23rd Street is not even grade separated from even one. For the 23rd Street site to work, someone will have to provide the grade separation. And that someone wasn't going to be the FWTA.  

#582 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:58 AM

Yes, I am aware.

(1) Did you not read that the 28th Street Station was going to become a major bus transfer hub for North Fort Worth?  Intermodal is the key for making any overall transit system work - buses and trains must work together. The proposed 23rd Street site had very lousy access, to both the neighborhood and buses.  

(2) Besides, the 28th Street Station location isn't that much farther away from the FWSY than the 23rd Street location. One street borders the southern boundary of the FWSY, the other street borders the northern boundary. In both cases, for those willing to walk or bike that distance, a new pathway/bikeway could be built.

(3) 28th Street is already grade separated from all three railroads for both vehicles and pedestrians, 23rd Street is not even grade separated from even one. For the 23rd Street site to work, someone will have to provide the grade separation. And that someone wasn't going to be the FWTA. 

The aspect regarding intermodal is and has never been questionable.  In all projects of this nature, rail and bus must be interconnected.

I question how familiar you are personally with both the 28th Street location and 23rd Street location. Have you ever personally visited the areas in question?  I have and almost everyone in Fort Worth is more familiar with the area than it seems that you are.

(1) 23rd Street has direct and excellent access to North Main Street which disqualifies your statement that it has lousy access to the neighborhood and busses.

(2) The 28th Street location, though as the bird flies, is of equal distance to the FWSY as 23rd Street/Decatur; but unlike 23rd St, access from the 28th St site to FWSY is separated at least a dozen railroad tracks, parked railcars and busy train movement 24/7.  The suggestion that walking or biking to the FWSY from 28th St is ridiculous; and of course, the solution as you are offering is that a pathway could be built to address this problem is an admission that this site is flawed and is inferior to a site in the vicinity of  Exchange and 23rd Street.

The solution is actually to design an elevated track bridge between 28th Street to 23rd Street, but that would negate any TOD speculation that FWTA/DART has about the site that they have chosen which makes your statement that FWTA wasn't going to that someone who would build a grade separation the only factual statement that has been made.

(3) So if the station was located on the FWSY side of the tracks, all of these problems would be resolved.  However, FWTA does not want to make this simple track realignment because FWTA and DART insist upon making the TEXRail line a commuter/developer project.  Transit is actually not its exclusive priority.   TOD is what FWTA/DART wants; and nothing will stand in the way of either.  28th St has been chosen to capitalize upon their developmental goal sacrificing what is logical for what it their mind is profitable.

If their is a silver lining in this naked initiative for TOD by FWTA/DART, then it is the possibility that the City's central core areas will someday have a light rail/streetcar network that connects Downtown directly to FWSY.

• JBB likes this

#583 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted Today, 05:36 PM

The Peach yard bridge is the longest bridge on the route at 4,200 feet long. Another bridge will cross the track intersection near Meacham blvd and Old Denton Rd in Haltom City. 

#584 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted Today, 07:07 PM

Aha, bridges. Can't be that there is a lack of money.

Why not one at FWSY?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users