239 replies to this topic

#1 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

I made some Sketch Up models of skyscraper ideas I had for this city.

Just for kicks, I decided to remodel a few of them... you know because some ideas don't stay the same for ever.

(Remodels)
- Block TU
- Panther City Tower
- XTO HQ
- new Burnett Plaza & Park Tower
- new AT&T Building
- Sony Tower
- Double Tree Hotel
- Firestone Tower
- 500 W. 7th (Burnett Center)
- Eastside Cross
- City Place South Tower [existing]
- 777 Main [existing]

(Additions)

- Tandy Tower (200 Taylor Street)
- Eastside south Tower
- United Way Hotel
- Upper West buildings
- City Hall (Post Office) expansion
- AT&T (2nd version)

Block TU
Height: (old) 991ft. / (new) 900ft.
Floors: 61
Site: E. 9th/Calhoun/E. 8th/Jones
Type: Mixed-use
Groundfloor: Retail

I'm starting with the Block TU because I wanted to change this one the most.

582012_3829470388713_95386108_n.jpg

528098_3829621992503_1607922997_n.jpg

293155_3829622352512_862459453_n.jpg

391232_3829622832524_1279067812_n.jpg

Height Comparison
553359_3829623152532_625866186_n.jpg

320458_3829623912551_1071613777_n.jpg

Old design
- Garage: about 20 floors, more walls
- Ground floor: Retail facing Jones and Calhoun, car entrances facing 8th and 9th.
- Design: Split level, residences on bottom, offices on top. "Shade design" in wings.Multi-symmetrical.
- Orientation: nothing specific

New design
- Garage: 15 floors, more open/windows
- Ground floor: Car entrances facing Jones and Calhoun, retail facing 8th and 9th.
- Design: Even, residences in curved shape, offices are rectangular. "Shade design" for residences only. Only one line of symmetry.
- Orientation: Residences facing Sundance Square, rest of downtown. Offices facing the east.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#2 urbancowboy

urbancowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sustainable, Livable, Urbanism

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

I like your changes a lot. You could even do some green roofs at some of the elevation taperings.

#3 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Jeriat,

I think that this is your best design yet. If only we could see something like that actualized in the foreseeable future;but until then, I suppose that we can keep our fingers crossed. I hope that the Landmark Tower Block owners troll this blog occasionally. I am pretty sure that they would be equally impress with your concept.

Keep Fort Worth folksy

#4 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Jeriat - beautiful art work, seriously

#5 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Thank you.

Wish I had the REAL software for it, though. It's just to give you an idea.

7fwPZnE.png

#6 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

NICE
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#7 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Panther City Tower
Height: (old) 971/ (new) 1,096 ft.
Floors: (old) 56 / (New) 58
Site: Current AT&T Building
Type: Office
Groundfloor: Retail, Office, Public/Institutional

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Old design
- Ground floor: Room for 4 big retail spaces
- Design: Basic, 3 section rectangular shape with cut-ins like the Empire State Building, top with spire and shorter pyramid below.
- Style: "Neo Deco"
- Facade Material: Stone, aluminum, black tinted windows/curtain walls

New design
- Ground floor: Room for 2 big retail spaces, 6 smaller spaces for anything else.
- Design: Even squared shape, 4 sections with cut-ins, more like a mix between the ESP and Atlanta's BoA Plaza, top with spire enclosed with mesh like restraints, and a thicker, taller pyramid. Also featuring archs for each major section of the building.
- Facade Material: Texas Pink Granite, aluminum, black tinted windows/curtain walls, steel pattern (for top)

7fwPZnE.png

#8 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Posted Image

WOW! very nice. I am so surprise billionaires aren't trying to contact you for your design skills...

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Jeriat,
The early to mid-20th Century designs are my favorites. Although, I really admire your Block TU designs, I would have some concerns about the effect that a highly reflective glass claded tower would have on the surrounding streets and structures. I cite the current problems associated with the new Museum Tower Dallas upon the streets and building within the Dallas Arts District for example.

I think that the Panther Tower design is absolutely all about the character of Downtown Fort Worth and is sensitive to the streets and surrounding buildings. An excellent design. Surely, someone with the deep pockets will stumble upon you. I dearly hope so.

Keep Fort Worth folksy

#10 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

Jeriat,
The early to mid-20th Century designs are my favorites. Although, I really admire your Block TU designs, I would have some concerns about the effect that a highly reflective glass claded tower would have on the surrounding streets and structures. I cite the current problems associated with the new Museum Tower Dallas upon the streets and building within the Dallas Arts District for example.

I think that the Panther Tower design is absolutely all about the character of Downtown Fort Worth and is sensitive to the streets and surrounding buildings. An excellent design. Surely, someone with the deep pockets will stumble upon you. I dearly hope so.

Keep Fort Worth folksy

I appreciate the complements. This is all in my free time and really doesn't take as much time to finish. This is just Sketch Up after all.

The older styles are more my thing, actually. I like art deco the most, so you'd see more of it in my projects and side projects. And trust me, I'm doing everthing I can to get into a firm. I've already got one contact and sent in several resumes.

7fwPZnE.png

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:53 AM

I dunno, but I suspect that the AT&T Building is the way that it is because it probably houses most of the city's land line switches and connectors pass through this network. I would also imagine that this vital network must be kept at a constant temperature. It is really akin to being an "electronic silo" that has been placed squarely within the heart of the city. I would however like the facade to be more interesting, maybe some commercial generating art.

#12 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Mr. Bass Hier Jeriat and put up his awsome buildings ! :smwink:

#13 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

I dunno, but I suspect that the AT&T Building is the way that it is because it probably houses most of the city's land line switches and connectors pass through this network. I would also imagine that this vital network must be kept at a constant temperature. It is really akin to being an "electronic silo" that has been placed squarely within the heart of the city. I would however like the facade to be more interesting, maybe some commercial generating art.

Funny you mention this, because I actually have a design in mind for a new AT&T buidling to replace the current, lackluster City Hall. They're only a walk across the street from each other, so it's still in the heart of the city.

One thing I like about downtown Dallas (and it's one of the very FEW things I like about it) is that they at least cover up a lot of their big walls with ads or paintings.

7fwPZnE.png

#14 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

Teaser.... since I'm too tired to upload everything right now:

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#15 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

Posted Image

Was your post a follow-up teaser to the Emporis listing for a "vision" stage plan for an XTO Building?

http://www.emporis.c...ortworth-tx-usa

#16 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

Posted Image

Was your post a follow-up teaser to the Emporis listing for a "vision" stage plan for an XTO Building?

http://www.emporis.c...ortworth-tx-usa

Uh huh.

7fwPZnE.png

#17 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Oh my! Jeriat, are you serious about this possible future addition from XTO?

#18 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

To answer your question, yep.

Exxon Fort Worth/XTO HQ
Height: (old) 887 ft./ (new) 921 ft.
Floors: 50
Site: Throckmorton/7th/Houston/6th
Groundfloor: Retail, Entertainment

This one is a bit more close to heart since I started with this AND, it angers me everyday to see the parking lot where the 50 story XTO building was supposed to stand. It's what made me want to start doing these.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Macy's facing Houston St.
Posted Image

Hard Rock Cafe of Fort Worth, corner of Throckmorton and W 7th.
Posted Image

Bubba Gump on the corner of Throckmorton and 6th.
Posted Image

spires and tops
Posted Image

Posted Image

Elevations
Posted Image

Posted Image

Old design
- Ground floor: 2-one story spaces for retail facing Throckmorton and Houston
- Design: Inspired by Evans Hall on the campus of Prairie View A&M and several art deco buildings.
- Facade Material: Red stone/clay, aluminum, black tinted curtain walls

New design
- Ground floor: 3-three story spaces for retail and/or renovation. (Houston space: 1, Throckmorton space: 2)
- Design: Same as above.
- Facade Material: Same as above, with white brick.

7fwPZnE.png

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Jeriat, there are some great buildings here. Look at the parking lot where the Landmark Tower was located as something positive. It is a prime location for a future building, should XTO, or someone else, decides to build it.

#20 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

I appreciate the complements. Just really hate seeing that lot there.

I guess I should mark down the buildings since I have PLENTY of them in mind and on paper.

7fwPZnE.png

#21 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Burnett Plaza teaser:

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#22 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Burnett Plaza (II)
Height: (old) 714 / (new) 409 ft.
Floors: (old) 46 / (New) 28
Site: Texas, W. 10th, Cherry, Burnett
Type: Mixed-Use
Groundfloor: Retail, Art Gallery Space, Plaza

Posted Image

Posted Image

Residential Space
Posted Image

For Texas....
Posted Image

Plaza
Posted Image

Tunnel, used for entries into the building and art space.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Old design
- Ground floor: Enclosed plaza with archs.
- Design: Tall skyscraper loosely based on the old Medical Arts Building.
- Style: Neoclassical/modern
- Facade Material: Brownstone, white stone, shale (roof).

New design
- Ground floor: 3-three story spaces for retail
- Design: Shorter, wider, slightly more accurate remodel of the Medical Arts Building, with an 8 story extention for residential space and garage.
- Style: Neoclassical/modern
- Facade Material: Polished granite, white stone, shale (roof), stainless steel.

7fwPZnE.png

#23 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Ditto respects to you Jeriat. But beyond your expertise I’ve wondered about the factors involved in the marketability of downtown Fort Worth regarding high-rise structures (aside from taking a course in urban density). Does one conclude, as one factor, that low Class A office vacancy rates downtown increases the probability of more high-rise construction there? Probably not. I read somewhere that FW’s vacancy rates downtown are fairly low, and we haven’t had a new high-rise office structure built downtown since the Carnegie a few year’s ago. Beyond city zoning, building and site requirements, we might surmise that high-rise structures are more likely to be added to downtowns rather than outlying neighborhoods because of the disparity of population density. But that’s not so in Dallas, Houston, New York, Miami, etc., where high rises have popped up just about everywhere. But, for the most part, that is the case in Fort Worth (e.g., mid-rise rather than high-rise hotels in our own neighborhoods here). Obviously, Dallas has more people than Cowtown, but it doesn't explain why high rises are almost everywhere in that city. Could it be that Dallas builds lots of high rises everywhere to live up to its "Big D" reputation (like New York living up to its "Big Apple" hubris)? Could it be that fledgling Oklahoma City built it's huge high-rise "Devon Tower" downtown because it wants to be like Big D? Maybe Fort Worthians don't care to be so high-and-mighty as Dallasites and that's why we think in smaller scale downtown? But, anyway, It would be good if at least one of your high-rise architectural ideas became the new reality in downtown FW.

#24 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Ditto respects to you Jeriat. But beyond your expertise I’ve wondered about the factors involved in the marketability of downtown Fort Worth regarding high-rise structures (aside from taking a course in urban density). Does one conclude, as one factor, that low Class A office vacancy rates downtown increases the probability of more high-rise construction there? Probably not. I read somewhere that FW’s vacancy rates downtown are fairly low, and we haven’t had a new high-rise office structure built downtown since the Carnegie a few year’s ago. Beyond city zoning, building and site requirements, we might surmise that high-rise structures are more likely to be added to downtowns rather than outlying neighborhoods because of the disparity of population density. But that’s not so in Dallas, Houston, New York, Miami, etc., where high rises have popped up just about everywhere. But, for the most part, that is the case in Fort Worth (e.g., mid-rise rather than high-rise hotels in our own neighborhoods here). Obviously, Dallas has more people than Cowtown, but it doesn't explain why high rises are almost everywhere in that city. Could it be that Dallas builds lots of high rises everywhere to live up to its "Big D" reputation (like New York living up to its "Big Apple" hubris)? Could it be that fledgling Oklahoma City built it's huge high-rise "Devon Tower" downtown because it wants to be like Big D? Maybe Fort Worthians don't care to be so high-and-mighty as Dallasites and that's why we think in smaller scale downtown? But, anyway, It would be good if at least one of your high-rise architectural ideas became the new reality in downtown FW.

I can't tell you how much I'd LOVE for just ONE of these ideas to become reality.

I've always felt that this city has always been scared to be more than what it is. A lot of what makes a city a city has been held back for years (a real Convention Center hotel), or still hasn't come into existance yet (better mass transit) and I hope to one day help change that. Some people in this city (which have a lot of power here) can't let go of the fact that this isn't a small town anymore....

7fwPZnE.png

#25 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

... But beyond your expertise I've wondered about the factors involved in the marketability of downtown Fort Worth regarding high-rise structures...Maybe Fort Worthians don't care to be so high-and-mighty as Dallasites and that's why we think in smaller scale downtown?

First I would answer that you are on the right track to wonder about what factors into the downtown market; and yes, Fort Worth seems to be largely in the hands of people who want it to remain small and in the hands of a few. Of course, it is this perception that has bubbled to the surface recently when outside developers expressed their concerns about the influence of the downtown establishments over developments downtown, but also along 7th Street and in Near South Fort Worth.

It is true, all the variables, low Class A Office vacancy rates and demand, are currently in place for new high rise construction. The one or perhaps uniquely situation that makes Fort Worth different than the other cities that you cited is the ownership of the bulk of prime real estate and land in downtown by two groups: Sundance Square Corp (SSC) and Bob Simpson Company (BSC). For its development, SSC uses David M Schwarz, a primarily low and mid-rise idealist; and the preferred business model of BSC is to renovate over to build new construction. It is unlikely, while these two groups predominate the downtown market that a new high rise will be built until the last piece of SSC land is developed; and the supply of buildings having the potential for renovation is depleted. One would suspect that, other developers have looked at the favorable downtown market, but have probably shied away, because of the way they rightly perceive is a market effectively controlled and determined by the SSC and BSC dual-opoly.

The best likelihood of a new high development in downtown Fort Worth will come from an outside group who would have the clout to go head to toe with the likes of SSC and BSC and to seize upon an opportunity to build a project associated with the following scenario: Fort Worth is selected as the North Texas terminus of a Tulsa/Oklahoma City to DFW to Houston High Speed Rail line. Were that to happen, the Convention Center/Transit Sector of Downtown would instantly become the venue of multiple mid-rise and high rise buildings.

By the way, Jeriat, I like the newer version of Burnett Plaza II over the original version. Besides that I think the original version looks too much like Dallas' Comerica Building and its facade is too dark. I think the newer version is more in keeping with Fort Worth, ala The Star Telegram Building. My preference is that you return it to its original height.

#26 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Did'nt even realize I had an account here to :)

My favorite so far. Not to big, not to small. Not a lot of glass either, and not a box. The size makes it more feasable to, kinda like Carnagie.
The Plaza/Ampitheater is meh, But the world has landscape designers for that.
The podium/garage is nice, retail is always one of the most important things for DTFW. Is the Horse a giant Ferrari logo? Haha it looks like it.
The Tower itself reminds me of One Park Place in Houston, which was built very recently in 2009. And attracted a grocery store to Downtown Houston.
Posted Image

Idk how good you are with photoshop or similar programs but I'd love to see some of these put into actual pictures of the skyline...
Keep it up man.

#27 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

Did'nt even realize I had an account here to :)

My favorite so far. Not to big, not to small. Not a lot of glass either, and not a box. The size makes it more feasable to, kinda like Carnagie.
The Plaza/Ampitheater is meh, But the world has landscape designers for that.
The podium/garage is nice, retail is always one of the most important things for DTFW. Is the Horse a giant Ferrari logo? Haha it looks like it.
The Tower itself reminds me of One Park Place in Houston, which was built very recently in 2009. And attracted a grocery store to Downtown Houston.
Posted Image

Idk how good you are with photoshop or similar programs but I'd love to see some of these put into actual pictures of the skyline...
Keep it up man.

Oh yeah. Phoenicia. I've been to that store a couple times before.

I guess subconsiously, One Park was in mind. I visit Discovery Green EVERYTIME I'm in Houston, so maybe it just sunk in.

I honestly had no real ideas for the plaza outside an amphetheatre and open space, but that's the idea. Also, a Denny's....

7fwPZnE.png

#28 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

Burnett Park Tower teaser:

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#29 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

I have been reading these periodic posts about potential skyscrapers and it looks like a considerable amount of thought has been given to the various designs, etc. Although I do have to agree with Kevin's recent comment about the downtown block sizes probably being to small to really handle them.

However, every time I look at these nice drawings I get this little niggling voice that says: "What For"?

All this appears to be is a personal urge for skyscrapers because someone feels that they are cool. And that's OK for a personal dream. But, where is the rest of the business justification? And please don't tell me that if they are built that occupants will immediately fill them. Not now. Not in this economy.

As a personal thing, I have admired skyscrapers all my life. But I'm different. I like great, soaring, stylish buildings with as certain amount of ornamentation, not the tacky, glass walled, all-look alike pieces of poop that make up most of Fort Worth's later tall buildings, including the Pier One. And most of all, my skyscrapers need to reach into the sky with innovative and artistic caps instead of just some squared off crummy shield for the heating and cooling units. Skyscrapers don't have to be tall. They just need to look tall and feel tall.

While I don't live in the past and yearn for the 1920's and 1930's in Fort Worth, if you look at an aerial of the downtown of that period you get a picture of solidity and mass that radiates power. The tall buildings for the most part are architectural, of varying materials with different layouts on the ground and have ornamentation that makes them interesting to look at. And as business places, they seemed to have worked because most of them are still in use today.

Every time I drive by those embarrassing twin glass towers there is a little voice in me that says" "Implode"...

Those that think that "modern" or contemporary architecture equates to glass and concrete slabs are simply without vision of any kind. Compare the exquisite and very contemporary Kimble to the execrable but equally contemporary Modern which has less appeal than the average run-down Wal-Mart big box store in a bad part of town. The most complementary comment about the Modern that I have read on this Forum is that: "the view of downtown from the inside is really nice". Which about sums it up.

If we are going to have new skyscrapers, then let's build them with a plan and forethought, not just to have another ugly glass people tank. And if we are going to build them, then build them with style, innovation and with a sense of their surroundings understanding that they are in Fort Worth, which is a unique place.. Not Minneapolis or Houston or Atlanta or.....

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#30 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

I have been reading these periodic posts about potential skyscrapers and it looks like a considerable amount of thought has been given to the various designs, etc. Although I do have to agree with Kevin's recent comment about the downtown block sizes probably being to small to really handle them.

However, every time I look at these nice drawings I get this little niggling voice that says: "What For"?

All this appears to be is a personal urge for skyscrapers because someone feels that they are cool. And that's OK for a personal dream. But, where is the rest of the business justification? And please don't tell me that if they are built that occupants will immediately fill them. Not now. Not in this economy.

As a personal thing, I have admired skyscrapers all my life. But I'm different. I like great, soaring, stylish buildings with as certain amount of ornamentation, not the tacky, glass walled, all-look alike pieces of poop that make up most of Fort Worth's later tall buildings, including the Pier One. And most of all, my skyscrapers need to reach into the sky with innovative and artistic caps instead of just some squared off crummy shield for the heating and cooling units. Skyscrapers don't have to be tall. They just need to look tall and feel tall.

While I don't live in the past and yearn for the 1920's and 1930's in Fort Worth, if you look at an aerial of the downtown of that period you get a picture of solidity and mass that radiates power. The tall buildings for the most part are architectural, of varying materials with different layouts on the ground and have ornamentation that makes them interesting to look at. And as business places, they seemed to have worked because most of them are still in use today.

Every time I drive by those embarrassing twin glass towers there is a little voice in me that says" "Implode"...

Those that think that "modern" or contemporary architecture equates to glass and concrete slabs are simply without vision of any kind. Compare the exquisite and very contemporary Kimble to the execrable but equally contemporary Modern which has less appeal than the average run-down Wal-Mart big box store in a bad part of town. The most complementary comment about the Modern that I have read on this Forum is that: "the view of downtown from the inside is really nice". Which about sums it up.

If we are going to have new skyscrapers, then let's build them with a plan and forethought, not just to have another ugly glass people tank. And if we are going to build them, then build them with style, innovation and with a sense of their surroundings understanding that they are in Fort Worth, which is a unique place.. Not Minneapolis or Houston or Atlanta or.....

Not to be smug or anything because you do make some good points but, again, these are just IDEAS. These are what I see COULD happen. It's not like any of these are really gonna happen, especially in the near future, but it's from what I see when I walk around downtown and the potential for the future.

And any skyscraper that is built should have some style and purpose. They should function well within their surroundings and maybe even influence others around it.

P.S., All of these could fit within Fort Worth's 200 x 200 blocks. Trust me, I've made sure of that.

7fwPZnE.png

#31 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

The Burnett Park Tower
Height: (old) 767/ (new) 788 ft.
Site: current Burnett Plaza
Type: Observation (w/ restaurant)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gold metal, with red roofing as another ode to the old Med Arts Building.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

.... to one day (with hope) replace this P.O.S.
Posted Image

Old design
- Ground floor:Entry, storage/loading
- Design: Tower with current Burnett Plaza step design "cage".
- Style: Modern
- Facade Material: stone, steel, dark curtain wall

New design
- Ground floor: Entry, storage/loading
- Design: Same as above, only more narrow.
- Style: Modern
- Facade Material: white/grey flagstone, steel, dark curtain wall, red tile, aluminum.

7fwPZnE.png

#32 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

AT&T Bldg. teaser

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#33 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

Jeriat, something you may be interested in:

esri.com/CityEngineTrial

I would love to look over your shoulder to see how it works

#34 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Jeriat, something you may be interested in:

esri.com/CityEngineTrial

I would love to look over your shoulder to see how it works

I am interested..... :)

Thanks.

7fwPZnE.png

#35 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

AT&T of Fort Worth
Height: (old) 536' / (new) 560' ft.
Floors: (old) 37 / (New) 35
Site: current City Hall
Type: Office/Utility
Groundfloor: Retail, Office

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Garage. Ground level includes retail/office space, billboards. The base includes two 107' x 158' LED boards east and west and one 107' x 148' billboard facing south.
Posted Image

Crown and LED Boards covering utilities.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Old design
- Ground floor: Undecided (left blank incase of just keeping the current City Hall as a base)
- Design: Zig zag cut-ins on east and west, flat north and south, with a tall crown, Southwestern colors/patterns.
- Style: Modern (80's style)
- Facade Material: Concrete, dark blue curtain walls/windows, white and teal tiles.

New design
- Ground floor: Retail/Office space and garage entry with billboards
- Design: 28 story tower with some setbacks, half brick/half glass, sitting on top of utilities and a garage.
- Style: Modern (80's style)
- Facade Material: blue curtain walls/windows, yellow brick, LED boards, white stone and steel.

..... gotta admit, I'm still playing with this one.

7fwPZnE.png

#36 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Sony Tower teaser:

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#37 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

Sony Tower
Height: (old) 800' / (new) 657' ft.
Floors: (old) 41 / (New) 54
Site: Florence, W. 1st, W. 2nd
Groundfloor: Retail

Posted Image

With the Hunter Plaza Apartments to the bottom left corner...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Megastore
Posted Image

White "SONY" letters during the day, black letters backlighting against the lantern at night.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Old design
- Ground floor: Store with 12 story garage.
- Design: Inspired by the Playstation 3.
- Style: Postmodern
- Facade Material: Black curtain wall, aluminum

New design
- Ground floor: A much larger store, nothing else.
- Design: Same, only shorter with no garage and a "shelter" structure with a lantern on top in the shape of the building.
- Style: Postmodern
- Facade Material: Black curtain wall, blue-green aluminum, clear curtain wall (lantern).

7fwPZnE.png

#38 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Burnett Hotel teaser

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#39 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

Jeriat, dude I'm loving the layouts... wow. Hey what is it that you're not telling us about Sony Corp? Are they make they're way here? :)

#40 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

Jeriat, dude I'm loving the layouts... wow. Hey what is it that you're not telling us about Sony Corp? Are they make they're way here? :)

Oh I wish, but I don't think there's any leads on them actually moving or having a branch out here. That possibility is still out there, though.... And thanks. :)

Aloft of Fort Worth - Burnett Plaza (old name: Double Tree Fort Worth)
Height: (old) 446' / (new) 370' ft.
Floors: (old) 24 / (new) 27
Site: Bank south of Burnett Plaza
Type: Residential
Groundfloor: Some retail, Lobby, Plaza Space outside

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bottom 10 floors are hotel space. the other 17 is condo/apartment space.
Posted Image

Another "lantern" on top.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Old design
- Design: Parallelogram 1st floor, hexagonal shape from floors 2-10, parallelogram shaped for the rest, with two triangular shapes on top.
- Style: Neomodern
- Facade Material: Turquoise curtain walls, sandstone.

New design
- Design: Parallelogram 1st floor, hexagonal shape from floors 2-10, parallelogram shaped for the rest, with another parallelogram lantern with two triangular shapes inside holding it up.
- Style: Neomodern
- Facade Material: Light green, Teal curtain walls, sandstone

7fwPZnE.png

#41 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

*Firestone teaser:

Posted Image

*wont look exactly like this.

7fwPZnE.png

#42 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

The Firestone Tower
Height: (old) 512' / (new) 428' ft.
Floors: (old) 27 / (new) 32
Site: W. 7th/Henderson/W. 5th/Lexington
Type: Residential
Groundfloor: Retail, garage

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Garage with green roof/gardens.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Old design
- Design: Boxy residential with open space on top and roof to match apartments across the street.
- Style: International
- Facade Material: ?

New design
- Design: 1st school Chicago (with some elements taken from the apartments) with a castle-like roof and garage.
- Style: Chicago School/Deconstructive
- Facade Material: Stucco, Concrete, Painted brick.

7fwPZnE.png

#43 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

What's going on up on the roof of the tower? Any options? What purpose are the turrets and arches?

#44 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

What's going on up on the roof of the tower? Any options? What purpose are the turrets and arches?

I wanted to do something different with the roof. Those are turrets and arches.... I think my mind was in a state of fantasy or something when I was making it.

Half of these are just freestyle....

7fwPZnE.png

#45 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

500 W. 7th (Burnett Center) teaser

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#46 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

Burnett Center
Height: (old) [concept] 417' [renew] 300' / (new) 325' ft.
Floors: (old) [concept] 32 / (new) 21
Site: 500 W. 7th
Type: Mixed-use
Groundfloor: Retail, Entertainment (first 3 floors)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Remodeled red,white, and blue gold star patern down the back.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Revolving LED billboard and signage.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

500 W. 7th

- Design: Generic 60's box with extention at the base.
- Facade Material: Concrete, black curtain wall

Old design
- Design: Skinny box with a slanted extention rising with the building, star pattern as a "spine" in the back, and a garage/3 story retail base
- Facade Material: Multi-grey stone, black curtain wall, aluminum

New design
- Design: Same as 500 W. 7th, only with the slanted extention, base has more curve with glass curtain, and there's a star patterned "spine" in back, with 3 story retail/entertainment.
- Facade Material: Grey stone, black curtain wall

7fwPZnE.png

#47 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Jeriat nice work and yes "Resident Evil", can't wait for it to come out :)
Hey have you ever thought about a building design layout near the trinity river?

#48 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

Jeriat nice work and yes "Resident Evil", can't wait for it to come out :)
Hey have you ever thought about a building design layout near the trinity river?

Oh, I have...... kind of difficult, though.

7fwPZnE.png

#49 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

Taking a bit of a break right now (another project) but will be back in a week or so.

7fwPZnE.png

#50 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Burnett Complex

Burnett Park, Burnett Plaza, Burnet Park Tower, Burnett Center, and Aloft.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png