• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:58 PM

does anyone remember the elusive Lake Worth monster? It was a prank that got a lot of attention in , I believe. the late 40's or early '50's.

#2 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (hankjr @ Aug 16 2008, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
does anyone remember the elusive Lake Worth monster? It was a prank that got a lot of attention in , I believe. the late 40's or early '50's.

Goat-Man. Johnny Simons of Hip Pocket Theater wrote a musical play about it (actually, I think it was his master's thesis...)

#3 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (hankjr @ Aug 16 2008, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aiee! You're off by twenty years. Start here, follow links: http://en.wikipedia....e_Worth_monster

#4 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:50 PM

The 1969 monster story was the second iteration of LWM tales. The first did happen in the late 40s or early 50s, IIRC, and involved a contraption built of inner tubes and pulleys that a guy at the Lake Worth Boat Works built to scare some older neighborhood ladies away from fishing from their dock. This little prank spiraled out of control and produced a media storm before some fool with a shotgun showed up and shot the "monster."

#5 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (Ghost Writer in Disguise @ Aug 16 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (hankjr @ Aug 16 2008, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aiee! You're off by twenty years. Start here, follow links: http://en.wikipedia....e_Worth_monster

#6 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Aug 17 2008, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 1969 monster story was the second iteration of LWM tales. The first did happen in the late 40s or early 50s, IIRC, and involved a contraption built of inner tubes and pulleys that a guy at the Lake Worth Boat Works built to scare some older neighborhood ladies away from fishing from their dock. This little prank spiraled out of control and produced a media storm before some fool with a shotgun showed up and shot the "monster."

#7 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:25 PM

thanks cbellomy for clearing up the apparently earlier Monster episode. Prairie had me wondering if my memory is failing.

#8 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (hankjr @ Aug 17 2008, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks cbellomy for clearing up the apparently earlier Monster episode. Prairie had me wondering if my memory is failing.

Hmmm, sorry, I didn't even notice the decades you referred to before I answered, I just remember the hoopla surrounding the monster very well. I had a friend whose family lived on Lake Worth at that time and she wavered between being scared and concerned. I seemed to get the idea that there were a fair number of characters who lived in that neighborhood at the time, and that the whole thing might have been sort ofn elaborate hoax. The number of witnesses, and the agreement among them of the things they saw (car tire flung hundreds of feet into crowd) seemed to argue against it being a joke; something more serious. My remembrance was definitely from late 60's-early 70's. Wasn't around in the 40's.

#9 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:48 AM

i remember the Goatman reports from the summer of '69. I was in Jr. Hi, the right age to be susceptible to, and to adore, that sort of tale.
The main library had an art exhibit on Goatman a few years back but I can find no online images from it. Wish I could.
The info that there was a prior Lake Worth Monster is fantastic. Can't have too much Monster lore. (Love Dallas' White Rock Lady too, but we've got to keep up our own best urban legend.)

#10 Jamie

Jamie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

Check out the Lake Worth Monster's online blog: http://lake-worth-mo...2/about-me.html

I'm sure he can answer any questions you have.

#11 travelbear

travelbear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

The Lake Worth Monster has a computer and everything. I knew he really did exist ever since those reports in 1969. Now there is proof, right here on the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users