• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

I was surprised to read this Dallas Business Journal article on ESPN setting up at Sundance Square for the NCAA final four coverage.

http://www.bizjourna...ncaa-final.html

Also, an interesting sidebar about how some in the news media report on the impact of out-of-towners regarding hotel occupancy.  The Star-Telegram reported the other day that hotels in the Fort Worth and Arlington areas are booked up.  Of course, NASCAR racing at TMS this weekend is also going to have a local impact.  This morning KRLD, a Dallas station, reported that hotels in the Dallas-Arlington area are booked up (nothing about Fort Worth).   If I were an out-of-towner I'd check in to a comfortable but less than stellar hotel in Fort Worth to go to AT&T stadium, because we're closer to Arlington than is Dallas.

#2 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

Not to worry; it will be a triumphant success for Fort Worth given that it did not have to shell out a dime. Fort Worth hotels and restaurants will be slammed in a happy way.

Dallas' free pop-up concerts, its big show with food tents and portable toilets, are sure to cause a huge headache; any thing free such as this can quickly get out of control; and they are asking attendees to use DART! :laugh:

I would rather have ESPN and its national audience and its reach over KRLD and DBJ. I also contacted ESPN-Dallas two weeks ago to suggest that it not hang a "ESPN-Dallas" banner in downtown Fort Worth as it would be inappropriate and insensitive.  Don't know if they got my message; but today ESPN-Dallas on-air promotions of the Fort Worth broadcast was not using "Dallas" in its brand in regards to SS Plaza.

#3 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

They started downplaying the "Dallas" part after Cumulus (owner of top sports station KTCK "The Ticket") took over management of KESN, ESPN - Dallas.

Should be pretty cool.

Hope they come back next year for the football national championship.

#4 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:39 PM

I'm thinking ESPN will be back because if I am not mistaking, I heard that while the plaza was in it's construction stages ESPN tech guys were here assisting with the wiring process. Sounds like a permanent fixture to me.

#5 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

According to Open Table--most restaurants in Fort Worth have a lot of open reservations for Thurs, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.  Even the steak houses from Del Frisco's to Capital Grille have a ton of openings.

#6 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

So there's a division of ESPN called "Dallas?"

Oh, joy.

-Dylan

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

There has been for years.  

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

According to Open Table--most restaurants in Fort Worth have a lot of open reservations for Thurs, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.  Even the steak houses from Del Frisco's to Capital Grille have a ton of openings.

Barring some severe weather, I expect the "walk-up" business to be just as good or better than the Super Bowl Week at the time also had  a comparable number of open reservations.

#9 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

Has ESPN done any broadcasts from Fort Worth yet? I tuned in for a few minutes around 8am, and am watching ESPN now. They are reporting from an indoor studio instead of our plaza.

EDIT: They are live from the plaza now! :D

-Dylan

#10 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

I'm watching the NASCAR Nationwide (lower-tier) Series race on ESPN2, and they just showed a shot of the Dallas skyline. What gives?

EDIT: And ESPN2 is showing off Downtown Dallas AGAIN! :angry:

Edited by PeopleAreStrange, 04 April 2014 - 08:33 PM.

-Dylan

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

I'm watching the NASCAR Nationwide (lower-tier) Series race on ESPN2, and they just showed a shot of the Dallas skyline. What gives?

EDIT: And ESPN2 is showing off Downtown Dallas AGAIN! :angry:

In my opinion, there has been a fixation with anything Dallas ever since 11/22/63.  It is hard to ignore how drawn the media is to it; maybe it is the "Everything is bigger in Texas"/"Big D" combo.

It even weirdly seems to overshadow Houston too, although that would be a stretch

http://blog.chron.co...als_SNP_125.jpg

And then there is -

http://chicagophotos...read.php?t=3071

#12 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

Unless ESPN showed DT Fort Worth at the start of the race (which I missed), they did not show Downtown Fort Worth during the broadcast at all ! ! !

What is the point of travelling across the country to set up a temporary studio in one city if you are going to show off a different city instead? :no:

-Dylan

#13 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

We sure know how to roll out the bad weather when a big event is in town eh? ESPN may never want to come back!

#14 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

Anyone have pictures of ESPN's setup? I can barely find any pictures of the setup, and I can't find any night pictures of the setup.

I hate to say this, but I don't think ESPN is helping our image any. There was a guy reporting from the plaza a minute ago, but the anchor in ESPN's main studio keeps referring to us as "Texas." (Think along the lines of "we now head to Texas..." and "Thanks to [Name] for reporting from Texas.") I have not heard the words "Fort Worth" used in the 20 minutes that I've been watching. Add this to the use of Dallas' skyline in yesterday's TMS broadcast.

-Dylan

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

I heard "Sundance Square in Fort Worth" a few times yesterday. Was kinda weird to hear and see a place I spend a lot of time at on ESPN.

I've not seen any pictures of FW used in cutscenes or anything. Only FW related things I've seen in the broadcast was from the plaza. To be fair, all the pictures shown of Dallas are of the skyline, and FW doesn't exactly have a skyline I'd want to show off. And of course, plenty of shots of Cowboys Stadium have been in there.

A few shots of Bass Hall, the museums, Botanic, TCU, Zoo, Magnolia and perhaps even the stockyards would be nice. Dallas has a few things it could show off to, the Perot, AAC, Dealey, Klyde, etc. 

#16 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

I watched game day at 2:30 and they clearly stated Sundance square in Fort Worth. The direct tv descriptions said live from Fort Worth texas.

The set looks great.

#17 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

I heard "Sundance Square in Fort Worth" a few times yesterday. Was kinda weird to hear and see a place I spend a lot of time at on ESPN.

I've not seen any pictures of FW used in cutscenes or anything. Only FW related things I've seen in the broadcast was from the plaza. To be fair, all the pictures shown of Dallas are of the skyline, and FW doesn't exactly have a skyline I'd want to show off. And of course, plenty of shots of Cowboys Stadium have been in there.

A few shots of Bass Hall, the museums, Botanic, TCU, Zoo, Magnolia and perhaps even the stockyards would be nice. Dallas has a few things it could show off to, the Perot, AAC, Dealey, Klyde, etc. 

I guess whoever the anchor is determines whether Fort Worth is mentioned, as I heard "Sundance Square in Fort Worth" yesterday as well.

As far as the plaza, they have only been showing a very small portion of it. I have not seen any overhead shots of the plaza or any part of downtown. Yesterday's race (in Fort Worth) would've been a good opportunity to show off our downtown from above (ignoring the skyline). Instead, they showed off a different city, reinforcing the idea to viewers that our city is a suburb of that city.

-Dylan

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

....To be fair, all the pictures shown of Dallas are of the skyline.....A few shots of Bass Hall, the museums, Botanic, TCU, Zoo, Magnolia and perhaps even the stockyards would be nice. Dallas has a few things it could show off to, the Perot, AAC, Dealey, Klyde, etc. 

Interesting and an astute observation.  Viewed from that one dimensional perspective, it is kind of pathetic.

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

I've been disappointed with the coverage of Fort Worth this year on their broadcasts.  I thought that they did a much better job when the Super Bowl was in Arlington back in 2011.  However, I will admit I haven't been watching as much TV on this visit because I have been extremely busy.

#20 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

Also the weather has been a real downer. Cloudy and patchy rain and rather cold for the time of the year. The Cowboys Curse I guess.

#21 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

Here are a few pictures of ESPN's broadcast last night. The first picture is pretty much all that most viewers have seen of our downtown.

CAM00223.jpg

CAM00231.jpg

After missing a crowd shot, I decided to move to the TV with a DVR. Here is what I recorded later on:

Sorry about the terrible audio. No, I was not outside.

If you listen closely at around 0:40, you can hear the announcer say "Sundance Square in the greater Dallas metroplex." :o

-Dylan

#22 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

Here are a few pictures of ESPN's broadcast last night. The first picture is pretty much all that most viewers have seen of our downtown....

If you listen closely at around 0:40, you can hear the announcer say "Sundance Square in the greater Dallas metroplex." :o

"Hey, its okay. You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all the time".

National viewers who find what little that they saw of downtown will be seeking out Sundance Square if ever they decide to visit North Texas.  The new way of finding yourself around in an unfamiliar city is to use your smart phone; not to rely upon television; So course in any search, Fort Worth will be prominently branded as the site of not only Sundance Square but the Stockyards as well; and the masses will find their way.

I would imagine that many if not most of the national viewers have seen a skyline before (NYC, Chicago, Seattle, Houston, Atlanta) and that they are not as in awe with Dallas' skyline as we and our local media tend to be.  As one of our member said and I see his point, "To be fair, its all that Dallas seems to have".  You know that is kind of pathetic when you think about it.  :swg:

#23 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

They just say Dallas so people know where to exit so they can find Sundance Square.

I am starting to think ESPN is cursed, bad weather has followed them every time they visit Sundance Square.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#24 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

They just say Dallas so people know where to exit so they can find Sundance Square.

I am starting to think ESPN is cursed, bad weather has followed them every time they visit Sundance Square.

Its Monday, and back to work tomorrow, and of course it will be absolutely gorgeous; and even more picturesque; but SdSq filled with more fans who have figured out that FW is not in Dallas.  I would imagine that a paved plaza is nicer than a wet and muddy field turned into grounds for a concert.  BTW, is that concert tonight? 

#25 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

Its Monday, and back to work tomorrow, and of course it will be absolutely gorgeous; and even more picturesque; but SdSq filled with more fans who have figured out that FW is not in Dallas.  I would imagine that a paved plaza is nicer than a wet and muddy field turned into grounds for a concert.  BTW, is that concert tonight? 

...it's been going on, Springsteen closes it out tonight, could go down a bit Woodstock-ish.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#26 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Pretty good article on ESPN's Grantland about the host city.

http://grantland.com...a-sports-mecca/

#27 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

Arlington is nothing more than a glorified suburb of Fort Worth and Dallas.

Glorified = popular because of stadiums and theme parks.

-Dylan

#28 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:31 AM

Didn''t expect to see ESPN back at Sundance Square, at least not until next year's Final Four.  But, here they come for college football!

http://www.star-tele...meday.html?rh=1

#29 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

Didn''t expect to see ESPN back at Sundance Square, at least not until next year's Final Four.  But, here they come for college football!

Decided to investigate just out of curiosity where the teams (Florida State and Oklahoma State) will be staying while in the metro for their game at AT&T Stadium.

It looks like FSU and its fans are headed to the Omni.  FSU has official parties planned for in the Stockyards and will be swarming Sundance Square and downtown. 

I think that OSU will not take a back seat to the Floridians; and expect their fans who are already here to flood the square in big numbers too, yet so far unable to get any information about their stay or plans.

Arlington + Fort Worth = Win!

Give all of them and the buck$ they will be bringing a big welcome to town.

#30 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

I really don't think it can be overstated how good the ESPN thing is for Fort Worth.  Looking back on it, the folks at Sundance executed a major coup when they first got that done a few years ago.

#31 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

We sure know how to roll out the bad weather when a big event is in town eh? ESPN may never want to come back!

Again ESPN returns and so does rain for the weekend...what is up? :eek: 

#32 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

Looks like the worst of it should be on Friday. It should be a little cooler in the morning than normal for this time of year.

#33 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

It's a busy day in downtown Fort Worth.  Walking by Sundance Square plaza this morning I saw them setting up the ESPN broadcasting center.  Nice video article on the NBC news (local from Channel 5) website below.

http://www.nbcdfw.co...&cm_cat=Article

#34 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

They are live there now on ESPN. All the orange baracades on Main Street in the background look like garbage.

#35 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

Oh my God, ESPN actually showed OUR skyline... 

That's kind of a shock. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#36 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

What?! Did you get a picture? What angle did they show?

-Dylan

#37 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:09 AM

What?! Did you get a picture? What angle did they show?

Northside. 

I didn't get a pic, it was only a few seconds. But still good to see... even if our skyline isn't exactly "marketable". 

7fwPZnE.png

#38 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:50 AM

There was a lot of folks out tonight. Picha Pachi was packed at 2am!

#39 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

They had a live helicopter shot of downtown this morning. Sundance is packed with TCU, SMU, OSU, Florida State cheerleaders involved. Some bands too. On the intro they said they were live from Sundance Square in Fort Worth. Later on they talked about all the football taking place in the "Dallas, Fort Worth, and Arlington area."

#40 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

Tim Love on there grilling up random stuff just now, says "Fort Worth is one of the greatest cities in the world..."

Huge advertising for the city. 

#41 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

Tim Love on there grilling up random stuff just now, says "Fort Worth is one of the greatest cities in the world..."

Huge advertising for the city. 

While wearing an orange Tennessee shirt.

#42 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

http://www.fwweekly....d-burn-bridges/

#43 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

Meh. 

I care more about the entire city's advertisement over just one school. Besides, TCU got PLENTY of face time out there and even the mention of the Andy Dalton teams being able to make the playoffs if the playoffs were around 3 years ago. 

Anyway, some scenes:

10615519_10203637197003926_7676036355158

10511188_10203637193723844_9647409837339

10659349_10203637198443962_1783761065234

10646970_10203637202684068_7991400575666

10366315_10203637210404261_4001230846458

10580100_10203637207244182_7767842233513

10460271_10203637207444187_1163819737761

10647123_10203637211004276_7109221421182

10647123_10203637212604316_7358802018981

10665663_10203637217164430_8248624878830

10613137_10203637227124679_8031534557022

1480625_10203637231284783_33508297546142

10308136_10203637239924999_2437729811762

10614177_10203637245125129_7226561948985

10646730_10203637247645192_6240548867158

10600486_10203637250045252_2382525024125

10636085_10203637258685468_5539209855503

10409380_10203637265045627_3727104850406

10653802_10203637267805696_5817056745474

10626512_10203637270005751_4454722571746

10394556_10203637261765545_4164331702420

7fwPZnE.png

#44 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

"Out of bound...name calling". :frown:

Really? If a public figure isn't a forum member, can you really call expressing a strong opinion of him a "personal attack"?
My blog: Doohickie

#45 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

It's College Gameday and the guy was wearing the shirt of his alma mater who is playing today.  Maybe he's a jerk and maybe he's not, but wearing that shirt certainly doesn't make him one.

#46 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Nice pic, Jeriat. Quite the eclectic crowd.

Some OSU fans showed up early with a banner with a very unfortunate remark and the pic of it is making the blog rounds today. OSU announced on their Twitter feed that they had asked ESPN to have it removed from the crowd. All of the signs about crab legs and free seafood are hilarious.

#47 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

It was totally exciting seeing Stone Cold Steve Austin, and check who else was talking http://usat.ly/1qqKhH3 Oh! and the crowd energy was off the charts  :)

#48 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

"Out of bound...name calling". :frown:

Really? If a public figure isn't a forum member, can you really call expressing a strong opinion of him a "personal attack"?

Name calling is wrong.  How can it be justified when he was only expressing his heritage and not demeaning others?   Something I learned long ago about respecting others: Better to say nothing if you have nothing good or constructive to add.

#49 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

Some OSU fans showed up early with a banner with a very unfortunate remark and the pic of it is making the blog rounds today. OSU announced on their Twitter feed that they had asked ESPN to have it removed from the crowd. 

Yeah, with them being at a school IN Oklahoma, they should know better. 

Other than that, it was a fun crowd. 2nd Gameday I've been to. (1st was in Houston when U of H had a lil' something)

7fwPZnE.png

#50 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

I've done a little editing to the thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users