Photo
- - - - -

Hulen Mall Adding Restaurants & Remodeling

Southwest FW Hulen Mall Restaurants Shopping Malls Abuelos BJs Brewhouse In-N-Out Burger

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:43 AM

This has been discussed in several different threads, so I thought I would start one specifically about the addition of 2 confirmed new restaurants at the east entrance and remodeling of the interior of Hulen Mall. Abuelo's and BJ's Brewhouse are the two official confirmed restaurants for the new east entry to the mall. In the original master plan, this area called for the addition of another wing and a fourth anchor. Also, as a part of this project, the interior of the mall will be painted and upgraded. Finally, there's talk about the construction of an In-N-Out Burger at the old Larry's Shoes location. It's interesting to see the mall making additions and renovations while at the same time there is road construction going around if for the Chisholm Trail/Southwest Parkway.

#2 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

It's interesting to see the mall making additions and renovations while at the same time there is road construction going around if for the Chisholm Trail/Southwest Parkway.

I guess it makes sense for both to take place at the same time. Any sort of construction is going to be a drag on traffic for the mall - so they might as well have both projects overlap.

Also the Chisholm Trail will probably be very beneficial for the mall so it makes sense to be ready for it prior to the completion of the road construction. Malls in general have been declining in popularity and closing down in large numbers for years now. My guess is the extra traffic that the new highway will bring to that shopping district will only add to that area's critical mass and probably increase Hulen Mall's chances of being a survivor. Malls these days seem to depend as much on the cluster of shops located nearby to draw in traffic as those other shops once depended on the mall.

On the other hand, I have always wondered if there will come a point where that part of town will choke on its own success. I personally do my best to avoid that area during any time of the week there is likely to be traffic. I don't have a lot of patience for being stuck in traffic and at stoplights. If you are visiting multiple stores/shopping centers along or around 183/Hulen/Overtone Ridge/Bryant Irvin - especially if it requires making multiple left hand turns - it can be downright brutal at times not to mention a huge waste of time. If I need to go to a store that is not available near Ridgmar, Montgomery Plaza or elsewhere on the West Side, I will, more often than not, put it off until I happen to be in some other part of town rather than deal with all the hassle of getting into and out of a location in Southwest Fort Worth. I probably have a lower tolerance level for sitting in traffic than most people. But I wonder how many others avoid that area for similar reasons and how much business is lost as a result of it.

My guess is traffic in the area will only get worse once the Chisholm Trial opens as it certainly will become easier for people to get to that part of town from both central Fort Worth and from the area around Cleburne. For me, getting there has never been as much of a problem as getting around and out of the area once I am there.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

Dismuke, I avoid the area for similar reasons. However, I will go there if I can make one stop and I come in from the east or north. Like you, if I have to navigate through the area and make multiple left hand turns, then I put it off until I'm in another part of town. Even with the new restaurants coming, I'm sure I won't change my habits. However, I will probably go to both because I do like BJ's and Abuelo's. Their nearest locations are quite some miles away.

#4 Roger_H

Roger_H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

With malls shutting down or struggling across the country, I was very surprised to hear about Hulen Mall actually expanding. Though I rarely go to the mall, I am very glad to see it expanding, as that speaks well for the economy of this part of town. I definitely plan to check out the new restaurants when they open.

As far as the area choking on its own success, my wife and I debate this constantly. I contend that you will never find a retailer complaining about a traffic count that is too high. My wife on the other hand, frequently points out store closings which she attributes to the difficulty of customers being able to get in and out of the location. I should point out however that my wife appears to have the same low tolerance for busy streets as John and Dismuke. Also, local residents tend to know how to use the side streets as shortcuts, which lessens the aggravation.

Personally, I think the completion of the Chisholm Trail Parkway will hurt the retailers along both Hulen and Bryant Irvin. I think the lower traffic counts that will come with the completion of the new road will offset any greater accessibility from other parts of town.

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

Ah, yes, the great myth of Southwest Pkwy., that it will alleviate traffic on Bryant Irvin and Hulen. Because there have to be a lot of people using those streets as shortcuts from downtown to Crowley and Cleburne, right?

#6 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

Can anyone point me to a good link that shows exactly where the Chisolm Trail will be located? I see bits and pieces of it under construction, but can't wrap my head around what the finished product will look like.

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:16 AM

Here's a broad overview map:

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/ftw/sh121/sh121sp_map.pdf

Links to detailed maps are located near the bottom of this page:

http://www.ntta.org/...westParkway.htm

#8 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

Was over at Hulen Mall this afternoon. Used my Blackberry cell phone to take a couple pictures from the Sears East side parking lot looking North

Posted Image

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#9 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

Has there been a thread about the major development that will be going in at Winscot & I-20? I wonder if that will affect the business at Hulen.
My blog: Doohickie

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

Yes, there is a thread and it's actually in the Surrounding Cities Forum because it is within the Benbrook City Limits. I'm sure it will impact Hulen Mall. However, I doubt that they will lose any of their three anchors.

#11 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:50 AM

Star-Telegram reported a few weeks ago that BJ's will open around Halloween and Abuelo's will early next year. I know that doesn't answer why the date has been pushed back, but hopefully that gives you a little more concrete of a timeline.

The same report says the renovations inside the mall itself should be done within a month or so. That's pretty swift work, considering it started in May.

#12 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:34 PM

Hulen Resturant update photo taken today. Looks like they have the structure weathered in now. Alot of the interior work being done. 80% of the work is done in the last 20% of the project time. Also noticed that left of the resturant building they were had excavated footers and forming up. Forms looked like 24" deep. Like it might be for a concrete slab and covered outdoor eating area - just guessing.

Since last July they have planted new trees in the green grass area.
Also new Mall entrance signage has been updated with new brown stone designed signs.

One sign read opening in the FALL.
Another sign read "Coming soon Abuelo's Mexican Resturant"
Another sign read "Parkway General Contractor & Architecture - Parkway Construction Associates - parkwayconstruction.com"

Posted Image

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#13 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

I stopped by the mall office today to pick up my birthday gift card (a great deal: sign up at www.hulenmall.com/the-club and get $10 when it's your birthday). The receptionist said BJ's opens on Oct. 31. I could also see that the metal framework is up for Abuelo's, but not much more, so I'm guessing that's at least several months away. The new walkway from the Hulen parking lot to the second floor is open now too.

#14 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

Drove over to Hulen yesterday 29Nov11. Seems the resturant construction is coming along.

As mentioned earlier.... 80% of the work is done in the last 10% of the construction project time.

Picture taken with new cell phone. HTC EVO 4g

Posted Image

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

It's good to see they are moving along. I don't go to malls very much, but I will probably visit either Hulen or Ridgmar before Christmas, I usually do.

#16 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:33 AM

I am curious to see the impact of the restaurant row outside the mall. That is not usually so good for the mall itself. But I did visit BJ's about a week ago. I would also like to see the new finishes inside the mall since it has been remodeled.

#17 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

While walking around the Hulen Mall that day, I did not notice any interior design changes. Seasonal decorations were sparse. Yes we saw Christmas decorations.

We didn't see any changed store fronts except SunGlass Hut is changing Mall locations.

Brookstone used to have a store front then several years ago moved out. Saw where Brookstone now is back but is occupying a mall isle setting with limited products.

They did refit the childrens play area with new apparently very usable play equipment. Meaning we saw new parent seating areas around the play equipment. The play equipment seems to be brightly colored fiberglass elements with low rise 2 or 3 tread steps and low angle slide for toddlers. Very functional and safe equipment all with very large rounded corners. Even better, we noticed that this play area was actively being used for its intended purpose.

Mall entrances to parking areas have replaced their signage with brown stone and very readable directional text.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#18 FarSouth

FarSouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

I just ran across this old thread but just to add old news to an old thread it appears that the in n out is well on its way as Larry's has been torn down.

#19 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

I've been to both BJ's and Abuelos now. They are both fine. At BJ's I ordered the sliders, which is classified as an appetizer. For $8 I received 4 burgers that are at least as big as a standard McD's burger and taste a lot better. Way too much to eat though; I was with a group and gave a couple of them away. Abuelo's is nice upscale Mexican food. For my money I prefer Los Vaqueros, but the food tasted fine and the atmosphere is pretty nice. I'd eat there again.

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

I like both BJ's and Abuelos. In-N-Out will be a good addition to the area.

#21 RPLS

RPLS

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking and Automobiles

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

Yesterday I emailed with the manager of the Hulen Mall and he volunteered to me that the 3rd and final restaurant in front of the Mall will be a Red Robin to open next summer.

#22 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Bassett Furniture is reportedly taking over the Container Store's space after they move to Chapel Hill.

#23 RPLS

RPLS

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking and Automobiles

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

I noticed last night that In-N-Out is finally open. It was pretty busy.

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

I have split off all of the discussion on restaurants that are not on the Hulen Mall property into their own thread, also located within the "Commercial" section.

#25 CFerguson

CFerguson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, music of the 20s-30s, P.G. Wodehouse

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:36 AM

What are those multi-story cranes at Hulen Mall for?

#26 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:47 AM

I would love to say that Dilllard's has given in and is letting Nordstrom build a store but I doubt that will ever happen (Dillard's has the final say on Hulen anchors from I understand.)  Maybe it is something dull like new AC units.  I have not seen them yet so it is hard for me to say.  I know H&M is going in there (not sure where).  Let me do some digging.  On a related note...  When did Abercrombie leave?  They shuttered Hulen and Northpark in Dallas. 

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

Even though I have not been on mall property since the cranes have been positioned, it appears that they are installing new HVAC units.

#28 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:33 PM

Damn, I thought they were renovating Sears...it is such an eyesore.

#29 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:42 PM

There are SO many things I'd want to do and add to Hulen.

Although I like the 3 restaurants in front, I feel like they blocked the chance to add a 4th wing, since adding a 3rd floor is totally out of the question...

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#30 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:19 PM

The original master plan for the mall from 1977 shows that 4th wing with a department store at the end.  You are correct, putting the three restaurants in front of the entrance either makes the wing not possible, or the restaurants would have to build and open new buildings elsewhere on mall property before the 4th wing is built.  However, for quite some time, that 4th wing was promoted with two department stores on its east end instead of one.  With the decline in popularity of department stores, there weren't any takers, so mall management decided building some new restaurants to the mall would draw some new people.

Also, for the record, Macy's was designed to have a third floor added, but that has never happened, and Sears second floor is only half the size of the first, so that store has expansion capabilities.

#31 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:31 PM

I was looking at old plans, and that's where it came from.

But now, what I would want to do is just expand the original sections of the mall (Macy's and Sears) by using the existing anchors and building more stores within them.

On the Sears side, build a new Sears east of the extended section and on the Macy's side, put Macy's on the east side, add a new anchor on the west, and put a new movie theater on the very northern end of that extension.

To make up for lost parking, add 2, maybe 3 level garages to the eastern surface lots, then rework the main entrance roadway for buses...

It would take a lot, but that's my idea.

7fwPZnE.png

#32 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:13 AM

Damn, I thought they were renovating Sears...it is such an eyesore.

When was the last time  you saw  a new Sears Dept Store?  The Sears appliance store MAY stick around, but don't be shocked if Sears goes the way of Montgomery Wards in the not so distant future.

#33 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:46 AM

Malls are dying.  Ridgmar is dying, Hulen is dying.  In 10 years the malls might not exist at all. 

#34 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:15 PM

I have said for a very long time that if Sears would focus only on appliances, electronics and maybe automotive they would do just fine.  But personally I don't want Sears clothing or furniture...  and I think the cosmetic department was an epic fail!

#35 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

Agree.  I think places like Northpark and the Houston Galleria might survive though.  Looks like North East Mall and the Parks are both starting to sputter.  North East lost Saks years ago and Coach is gone.  Not sure about J. Crew, Banana Republic, Abercrombie (gone for a long time).  If you have a fascination with Dead Malls you could get lost in this...  Check it out seriously.  Dan Bell is doing a great job with this... 

https://www.youtube....nCx7dwchPJGJ3IQ

#36 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:42 PM

Malls are dying.  Ridgmar is dying, Hulen is dying.  In 10 years the malls might not exist at all. 

Agree.  I think places like Northpark and the Houston Galleria might survive though.  Looks like North East Mall and the Parks are both starting to sputter.  North East lost Saks years ago and Coach is gone.  Not sure about J. Crew, Banana Republic, Abercrombie (gone for a long time).  If you have a fascination with Dead Malls you could get lost in this...  Check it out seriously.  Dan Bell is doing a great job with this... 

https://www.youtube....nCx7dwchPJGJ3IQ

I have to agree, Northpark and the Houston Galleria will be just fine. I'm not that confident in the Dallas Galleria. Tarrant County malls are just about all starting to die.  They were never that great in the first place; all of them are Anyplace, USA malls. Strangely, the Stonebriar Mall in Frisco seems to do incredibibly well.

#37 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

You haven't been in awhile if you think Northeast or the Parks is sputtering or dying.

#38 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:36 PM

You haven't been to either of those malls lately, haven't you? 

7fwPZnE.png

#39 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

I been in both in the last 6 months.  I eat at Dagwoods near Ridgmar weekly and that mall is dead man walking.  Hulen will survive longer, but it will eventually die as the lots are never full.

#40 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:37 PM

Define "full"?

You're saying that as if the mall has to be completely packed every single day.

7fwPZnE.png

#41 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

On my way home from work, I drove through the Hulen Mall parking lot to verify the construction that is occurring.  The rooftop HVAC units are being replaced, just as I thought from viewing the cranes while driving down I-20. 

I did notice one other change.  The large Macy's sign on the west side of their store has been replaced by a new Macy's Backstage sign.  I read that they were trying the discount store within a full store concept here.  Unfortunately, whomever was in charge of replacing the sign didn't take the effort to remove all the previous labelscars from Macy's, two generations of Foley's logos, and Sanger Harris.

#42 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:09 AM

I did notice one other change.  The large Macy's sign on the west side of their store has been replaced by a new Macy's Backstage sign.  I read that they were trying the discount store within a full store concept here.  Unfortunately, whomever was in charge of replacing the sign didn't take the effort to remove all the previous labelscars from Macy's, two generations of Foley's logos, and Sanger Harris.

That's definitley not a good sign for the mall (discount store).  Malls are indeed dying, many business publications have reported this.  (Macy announced last week, it is going to close 100 stores).  That enclosed shopping concept just isn't connecting with consumers anymore and online shopping is really killling them.  Malls that are powerful shopping destinations like NorthPark and the Houston Galleria will survive. But most malls simply will not be around in the future.  And there was never anything special about any Tarrant Co. malls.  I haven't been to Northeast Mall in a long time, but I did go to the Parks Mall a few years ago, after six or more years of never visiting.  . Let's just say the crowd is much different than I remember.  Now that I think about it, the only malls I do go to semi regularly are North Park in Dallas and I pretty much always visit the Galleria when I'm  in Houston.  They both, especially North Park, seem to really try to give you a pleasant shopping experience.

#43 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

I've started a new topic over in City Issues to deal with the question of whether enclosed malls are dying.  I would now like to keep this thread only relating to Hulen Mall.

#44 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:21 PM

Not Hulen Mall, but in the area:  Anyone know what's going on with the former Mervyn's/Burlington Coat Factory at Hulen and South Drive?  There are construction fences around the building.

#45 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:40 PM

Looks like a Floor N Decor,

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

#46 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:01 AM

Looks like a Floor N Decor,

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

Good, I don't like empty buildings.

#47 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:59 AM

My first reaction is that the building is way too big for a tile shop, but then I remembered going to the one in North Richland Hills when I got my bathroom redone, and the Mervyns building is probably about the same size.  You can get a feel for how big the place is from the Floor & Decor website.

That's a lot of tile.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Southwest FW, Hulen Mall, Restaurants, Shopping Malls, Abuelos, BJs Brewhouse, In-N-Out Burger

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users