Drive-in theater screen tower artwork

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

Howdy, folks!

This was more than likely touched on in previous topics, but I'd like to invite everyone here at the forum to help me catalog the appearance of Fort Worth's early drive-in theaters' screen towers under one topic, for future reference. Like all drive-in theaters constructed at that time, they were built as brick or poured concrete structures with a residence or storage space at the base, and not the later and cheaper screen-on-frame tower. Here is what is known so far and dates of operation:

BOWIE BOULEVARD/BOULEVARD - 1946-61: unknown
PIKE - 1947-c. early 1960s: cowboy camp scene; neon animated
BELKNAP - 1948-82: wagon train scene; neon animated; was later replaced by buffalo kicking football and floodlit
SOUTH SIDE - 1949 or 1950-67: Snow White and the Seven Dwarves under cursive script?; neon animated or floodlit?
COWTOWN - 1950-c. late 1970s: brahma bull with B-36 bomber, clouds, and town (Fort Worth?) in background under "Cowtown" cursive script (possibly as rope-formed lettering?); neon animated or floodlit?
JACKSBORO/CORRAL - 1950-c. early 1980s: circus scene with superimposed enlarged clown head; neon animated or floodlit?
MANSFIELD HIGHWAY/MANSFIELD TWIN - 1950-c. mid-1990s?: unknown; when reopened as twin screens (c. late '60s-early '70s) towers were rebuilt as screen-on-frame
WESTERNER - 1950-c. late 1970s: unknown
ARLINGTON/ARLINGTON TWIN - 1951-c. late 1970s: unknown
PARKAIRE - 1951-75: unknown
RIVERSIDE - 1951-c. early 1980s: unknown, although it appears that later no artwork was displayed or removed because of it's XXX features

If I've missed any theaters that began as solid structures, or any other details, please let me know here at the forum. Thank you, everyone, and good luck!

--Saginaw
"If I only had a time machine..."

#2 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Saginaw @ Dec 30 2008, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Howdy, folks!

This was more than likely touched on in previous topics, but I'd like to invite everyone here at the forum to help me catalog the appearance of Fort Worth's early drive-in theaters' screen towers under one topic, for future reference. Like all drive-in theaters constructed at that time, they were built as brick or poured concrete structures with a residence or storage space at the base, and not the later and cheaper screen-on-frame tower. Here is what is known so far and dates of operation:

BELKNAP - 1948-82: wagon train scene; neon animated; was later replaced by buffalo kicking football and floodlit
SOUTH SIDE - 1949 or 1950-67: Snow White and the Seven Dwarves under cursive script?; neon animated or floodlit?
COWTOWN - 1950-c. late 1970s: brahma bull with B-36 bomber, clouds, and town (Fort Worth?) in background under "Cowtown" cursive script (possibly as rope-formed lettering?); neon animated or floodlit?
JACKSBORO/CORRAL - 1950-c. early 1980s: circus scene with superimposed enlarged clown head; neon animated or floodlit?
MANSFIELD HIGHWAY/MANSFIELD TWIN - 1950-c. mid-1990s?: unknown; when reopened as twin screens (c. late '60s-early '70s) towers were rebuilt as screen-on-frame
RIVERSIDE - 1951-c. early 1980s: unknown, although it appears that later no artwork was displayed or removed because of it's XXX features

If I've missed any theaters that began as solid structures, or any other details, please let me know here at the forum. Thank you, everyone, and good luck!

--Saginaw

#3 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (hankjr @ Dec 31 2008, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Howdy, folks!

--Saginaw

#4 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

Howdy, folks!

--Saginaw
The Bowie Blvd had a cowboy on a bucking horse, according to an ad in the FWST (5/11/1948). Though I don't remember it, I'd always heard the South Side's mural was a lit image of the state of Texas. The neon and mural were built by Federal Enterprises. The theatre architect was a pretty well known (at that time) indoor and outdoor theatre architect named Jack Corgan. This information from the FWST ad for the South Side's opening night on 9/24/1949. The Twin began with solid concrete or brick screen towers (at least the west screen), but they were replaced at some point. The Twin opened in 1953. Also, the Belknap wasn't concrete or brick but was framed sheet metal, although the tower did have an apartment built inside for the theatre manager and his family. The Belknap opened 5/7/1948. Cool topic, Saginaw...Exposing my inner history geek...

#5 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (801hme @ Jan 3 2009, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Bowie Blvd had a cowboy on a bucking horse, according to an ad in the FWST (5/11/1948). Though I don't remember it, I'd always heard the South Side's mural was a lit image of the state of Texas. The neon and mural were built by Federal Enterprises. The theatre architect was a pretty well known (at that time) indoor and outdoor theatre architect named Jack Corgan. This information from the FWST ad for the South Side's opening night on 9/24/1949. The Twin began with solid concrete or brick screen towers (at least the west screen), but they were replaced at some point. The Twin opened in 1953. Also, the Belknap wasn't concrete or brick but was framed sheet metal, although the tower did have an apartment built inside for the theatre manager and his family. The Belknap opened 5/7/1948. Cool topic, Saginaw...Exposing my inner history geek...

That is some FASCINATING information, 801hme!

About the FWST ads, would you happen to know if they're illustrated, or is it text only? If I can get to it, I'll make an attempt to get to the Fort Worth Public Library to take a look. In doing my personal research on drive-in theaters, I've ran across Jack Corgan's name several times. It would be a rewarding discovery if Mr. Corgan's blueprints were accessible, if they still exist.

You are absolutely right about the old Belknap being constructed of framed sheet metal. As a matter of fact, the screen tower was built with corrugated sheet metal, and there is a picture of it in the book 'The American Drive-In Theatre'. I should've remembered that, since I have that pic and I visited the Belknap a couple of times! Doh!

I seem to remember that there used to be a very small and fuzzy picture of the Fort Worth Twin when the west screen was a solid structure. I wish I had saved it.

Thank you very much for your input, 801hme! If you can remember anything else, please don't hesitate to post.

--Saginaw

#6 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (Saginaw @ Jan 3 2009, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (801hme @ Jan 3 2009, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is some FASCINATING information, 801hme!

About the FWST ads, would you happen to know if they're illustrated, or is it text only? If I can get to it, I'll make an attempt to get to the Fort Worth Public Library to take a look. In doing my personal research on drive-in theaters, I've ran across Jack Corgan's name several times. It would be a rewarding discovery if Mr. Corgan's blueprints were accessible, if they still exist.

You are absolutely right about the old Belknap being constructed of framed sheet metal. As a matter of fact, the screen tower was built with corrugated sheet metal, and there is a picture of it in the book 'The American Drive-In Theatre'. I should've remembered that, since I have that pic and I visited the Belknap a couple of times! Doh!

I seem to remember that there used to be a very small and fuzzy picture of the Fort Worth Twin when the west screen was a solid structure. I wish I had saved it.

Thank you very much for your input, 801hme! If you can remember anything else, please don't hesitate to post.

--Saginaw

The information I got was from the actual newspaper copy now on microfish so they are fully illustrated, though sometimes very grainy. You can print copies to keep for yourself for 25 cents a copy. There are fairly informative articles and/or ads on the openings of the South Side, Belknap, Twin & Meadowbrook. You may find others as well, that was as far as I got...Wishing you good hunting...

#7 hinzdl

hinzdl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

Saginaw found this today on the UTA Digital Collection website, go to the WD Smith's Commerical Collection and then go to page 4 image 61 for the Bowie Boulevard Screen print....Hope it helps.UTA

#8 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

Saginaw found this today on the UTA Digital Collection website, go to the WD Smith's Commerical Collection and then go to page 4 image 61 for the Bowie Boulevard Screen print....Hope it helps.UTA

WOW!!! :D

For me, this is the "Holy Grail" of local drive-in theatre photos! Thank you very much for the link, hindzl! It's GREATLY appreciated! :D

--Saginaw

#9 CleanBarber.com

CleanBarber.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

It will be interesting to see what the artists create for the new drive in screens being made by La Grave Field. I was told the drive in will be open by mid fall.

#10 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

This will be something special once finished, cant wait.

Oh question, I've heard that you could hear the movie through a certain radio station.

Will that be the only way to here the movie? Because I do not think its a good idea to leave cars running for environmental purpose,

and with the car turn off but the radio is still operable means a dead battery soon... just wondering

#11 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

It will be interesting to see what the artists create for the new drive in screens being made by La Grave Field. I was told the drive in will be open by mid fall.

CleanBarber, I'd be interested, too. The thing is, the original drive-in theatre screens that were built in the '40s and '50s were of solid construction, that is, with living and/or storage space at their base. These screens won't have that, but just be of simple construction. Also, the official word is that it won't be open until next spring.

This will be something special once finished, cant wait.

Oh question, I've heard that you could hear the movie through a certain radio station.

Will that be the only way to here the movie? Because I do not think its a good idea to leave cars running for environmental purpose,

and with the car turn off but the radio is still operable means a dead battery soon... just wondering

The last time I was personally at a drive-in theatre was back in 1978, at the old Fort Worth Twin when they had the in-car speakers. I think that nowadays people bring a portable radio to tune in to the show. Not too sure about that, but that would be my guess since you're right about the potential waste of fuel and battery power.

--Saginaw

#12 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Just FYI, if those interested hadn't seen this already. The Opening of the new Drive-In near LaGrave has been pushed back to around Spring of 2013.

http://fwbusinesspre...ArticleID=23031

#13 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Just FYI, if those interested hadn't seen this already. The Opening of the new Drive-In near LaGrave has been pushed back to around Spring of 2013.

http://fwbusinesspre...ArticleID=23031

Hate to add to this subject since it really doesn't belong in the history thread, but does anyone know whether the city's plans have changed on the temporary arrangements for TRV "stop gap" business locations that include this drive-in theater? For those whose memories need refreshing, I recall that the city was going to approve only 10-year leases that would expire when the TRV supposedly gets moving commercially.

#14 CleanBarber.com

CleanBarber.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Spring 2013. Bummer... I was really looking forward to watching a flick in the back of my 65 pick up with Mrs Clary in wintertime. Oh well.....

#15 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

http://photos.cinema....jpg?1378704200

This is from 1948 according to the site where I found it: http://cinematreasur.../theaters/41013

#16 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

http://photos.cinema....jpg?1378704200

This is from 1948 according to the site where I found it: http://cinematreasur.../theaters/41013

Great find GWID...Here's the ad with the "Cowboy" image I posted about earlier.

FortWorthStar-Telegram-BowieBoulevard-Be

#17 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Oh, & here's an image of the South Side screen tower. This was the original South Side at 81 & Felix, not the Southside Twin that came later.

SouthSideDrive-In.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users