• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 John Cirillo

John Cirillo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:31 PM

I'm trying to find out anything I can about three downtown eateries.

First, Richelieu Grill. This was at 415 Main. The building it was in is gone now. But what building was it? Was it historically significant? That's all I really want to know about it. I got to eat in there only once, probably in 1979. It was a very homey kind of diner with the bar and grill on the left and booths on the right as you walk in, if I'm remembering right.
Wish I'd gotten a picture of that!

Second, this place called Nick's Hamburgers. I only know of it from some photos Les Crocker has. It was at the corner of Main and 1st Street. The northwest corner if I have my directions right. I don't see the word Nick's on any of the pictures but Les is sure it was Nick's. I am wondering what years it was in operation. I can't find it in my 1978 or 1985 phone books (all I have). In the background on one of Les's photos I can see part of Tandy Center, so I know that photo had to be 1978 or later.

Third, McCullough's Cafeteria. This was at 208 W. Third. I ate there once in 1978. It was pretty crowded at lunch. Any info on this place would be nice.

I worked in Tandy Center at that time, but usually didn't venture far. Just along Throckmorton in front of Tandy Center there was a strip of buildings that had a Taco Plaza/Mr Beef and for a little while there was a barbecue restaurant. I forgot the name (Something Smoke Shack?) And another place called A Pocket Full. I usually went to those places until they razed the block for the Americana/Worthington Hotel. I am looking at a fuzzy slide I took from Tandy Center of that 200 block on Throckmorton. I can also see Randall Pharmacy, Thompson's Book Store, and Dial Finance.

Thanks for any info on these.

John Cirillo

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

The Richelieu Grill, in its last days, was in a small 2 story commercial building on the northwest corner of 4th and Main. The building was "historic" with no designation, and was probably of the late 1800's/early 1900's vintage, but it had been altered over the years. The cornice had been removed and the brick, and ground floor storefront had been stuccoed over. I found out when they demolished it during the early 1990's that the structure and storefront along 4th was cast iron.

I don't remember the hamburger stand at 1st and Main being called Nick's. I thought it was Famous Hamburgers. It was located on the northwest corner and that building is still standing. First Horizon Bank now occupies that building.

I have eaten at McCullough's Cafeteria. The building was demolished to build the Sundance West Apartments. I think all of those places you talked about were demolished to build Sundance West, not the Worthington Hotel. The Worthington sits on the blocks occupied by Leonard's and Stripling's.

#3 John Cirillo

John Cirillo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Feb 8 2008, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Richelieu Grill, in its last days, was in a small 2 story commercial building on the northwest corner of 4th and Main. The building was "historic" with no designation, and was probably of the late 1800's/early 1900's vintage, but it had been altered over the years. The cornice had been removed and the brick, and ground floor storefront had been stuccoed over. I found out when they demolished it during the early 1990's that the structure and storefront along 4th was cast iron.

I don't remember the hamburger stand at 1st and Main being called Nick's. I thought it was Famous Hamburgers. It was located on the northwest corner and that building is still standing. First Horizon Bank now occupies that building.

I have eaten at McCullough's Cafeteria. The building was demolished to build the Sundance West Apartments. I think all of those places you talked about were demolished to build Sundance West, not the Worthington Hotel. The Worthington sits on the blocks occupied by Leonard's and Stripling's.

I don't find any entries for Famous Hamburgers either. Maybe he didn't have a phone? I don't know. Do you remember when it was there or when it was gone? Thanks to Google Street View, I can see the Horizon Bank you said was there. I wasn't positive it was the same building or not, but I see the Horizon Bank!

I thought Striplings was on Main, the other side of the block from the hotel? Oh well, they were dead by then anyway. I have a neat picture of the two city blocks they razed just before they started building the Americana foundation. You can see Stripling's on the block beyond. I can post this if it's pertinent to something. I'm not sure where to put it though.

You're right about the Worthington being on the next block over from the buildings I talked about. This 200 block had nothing to do with the Worthington.
I remembered something else too. Wasn't that the same block where there were two feuding restaurants in the early 90s and one of them caused a gas explosion in the other guy's place and pretty much took out the whole block? Yeah, I guess that block was still there in the late 80s/early 90s but all the stores had changed out. Somewhere I have grainy photos of the blown-up block and the boarded-up windows in Two Tandy Center.
I guess Thompson's and the Christian Science Reading Room were still there at that time. And Hong Kong House around the corner took the hit too.

Thanks for helping dredge up these events.

John

#4 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:10 AM

I beleive the Richelieu Grill was famous, or at least popular, for its chili. And it was a hangout for StartTleGram employees.
Don't know about the burgers.
The McCulloch Cafe was run by my mom's cousin Ellis McCulloch and his wife Charliss. It was not a cafeteria; it was a diner of the blue plate special genre. Most offerings were a plate with meat and two veg or an all veg plate, as I recall. For dessert, cousin Ellis made mighty good pies. I remember a pecan pie or two at family functions, bliss. I'll ask my mom if she remembers a timeframe on when this diner started and closed.
I'm pretty sure it was closed down by the time of the explosion. I think Ellis and Charliss had departed our earth by then. I remember that the building was destroyed in the gas explosion John refers to. It was on Christmas eve or Christmas day, so there were no injuries--downtown was closed. It got one of my faves shops, Thompson's Bookstore. Seems like the local news just reported that it was a bad gas line, so if anyone has dish on rivalries, etc, please post!

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:59 PM

I'm willing to bet the hamburger stand did not have a phone. They only occupied a small corner of that building.

Stripling's original buildings occupied the entire block bounded by Main, 2nd, Houston, and 1st. The store was demolised to construct the easternmost block of the Renaissance Worthington Hotel (then Americana). Stripling's did have an Art Deco annex building constructed across Main in the 1940's. That block is where the Wells Fargo Tower (City Center Tower I) is now located. The western two blocks of the hotel were where Leonard's had their main building and annex. In the early 1960's, when the subway opened, Leonard's expanded with a Home Store on the west side of Throckmorton Street, sitting where the elevator atrium of the old Tandy Center Mall now stands.

As for the explosion, I think the year was 1986. Yes, most of those stores were wiped out by the explosion and soon the block was demolished to construct Sundance West.

Thanks for the correction Birdland In Handley. I knew that McCullough's was not a cafeteria. I remember some of those blue plate specials.

#6 John Cirillo

John Cirillo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Feb 9 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm willing to bet the hamburger stand did not have a phone. They only occupied a small corner of that building.

Stripling's original buildings occupied the entire block bounded by Main, 2nd, Houston, and 1st. The store was demolished to construct the easternmost block of the Renaissance Worthington Hotel (then Americana). Stripling's did have an Art Deco annex building constructed across Main in the 1940's. That block is where the Wells Fargo Tower (City Center Tower I) is now located. The western two blocks of the hotel were where Leonard's had their main building and annex. In the early 1960's, when the subway opened, Leonard's expanded with a Home Store on the west side of Throckmorton Street, sitting where the elevator atrium of the old Tandy Center Mall now stands.

As for the explosion, I think the year was 1986. Yes, most of those stores were wiped out by the explosion and soon the block was demolished to construct Sundance West.

Thanks for the correction Birdland In Handley. I knew that McCullough's was not a cafeteria. I remember some of those blue plate specials.

That would make sense why I can't find them listed. It's hard to imagine not having a phone though.

I didn't know Stripling's was that big and so close to Leonard's. The picture I have shows the old art deco corner you refer to. When I moved here in 1977, Leonard's was already gone. I really missed out on seeing those department stores alive.
The only one I remember still being alive then was Monnig's. They had a lunch counter too, if I remember right.

And thanks, Birdland, I had forgotten they called them blue plate specials. I was only in McCullough's one time. I do remember getting a plate lunch with maybe sliced beef, green beans, and potatoes? And a piece of pie. Maybe chocolate cream? Did they have those? Or else blackberry or something.

The roll of photos I have that I took of the exploded block was dropped off at the Fotomat in Tandy Center on 12/12/1986 so it had to have happened before then. I just remembered it being a little later. The block was wrecked even more than I remember too. Demolished.

Thanks everyone!

John

#7 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:15 AM

Prior to the Sundance Apartments construction... didn't a restaurant on that block explode? Gas explosion I think...

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

Santini's Sub Shop blew up.

I have forgotten the name if the suspect from a restaurant next door.

The land was eventually bought for Sundance West.

McCullough's Cafe was gone. It had become Dusty's and moved to River Oaks, where they still have basically the same food as McCullough's.

#9 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:18 PM

The hamburger stand did not have a phone, as I remember. The grill was on a wall by open windows, no a/c, and you walked up to an open window and ordered your burger. They grilled onions for the burgers and when you left the old courthouse or civil courts bldg anytime after 10am, the wonderful smell from that grill would drive you nuts. Really good old-fashioned greasy hamburgers. Probably shut down in the mid-80s and was incorporated into the larger space that became a Chinese restaurant.

#10 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:46 AM

I asked my 88 year old Mom today what sort of timeframe she remembered for her cousin Ellis' McCulloch Cafe and she could not conjure up any info except "Ask anyone who worked Downtown --they all will remember it." But it delighted her that people interested in local history are asking about it. So thanks much for that, John Cirillo. 8)

#11 John-Laurent Tronche

John-Laurent Tronche

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

On a related note of bygone cafes, does anyone remember that restaurant on University Drive, where Jack in the Box is now, that was shaped like a dog? I've looked around here for a name of it, or what it was, but haven't found anything. What was that place anyway?

#12 fwnative54

fwnative54

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (John-Laurent Tronche @ Feb 18 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a related note of bygone cafes, does anyone remember that restaurant on University Drive, where Jack in the Box is now, that was shaped like a dog? I've looked around here for a name of it, or what it was, but haven't found anything. What was that place anyway?

I believe that was Jimmie Dips Chinese Restaurant. I remember at the time that I thought it was the only "fancy" Chinese restaurant in Ft. Worth.

#13 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

When I was a kid I used to go with my Dad some where downtown called Simpson's. This was a room and board place and Mrs. Simpson home cooked all meals and I think some of the Fort Worth Cats lived there as well as ate there most of the time. Best I remember it was very cheap and very good and you always got more than you could eat. I think this was in the late 40's or early 50's.

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

Papaw, you are correct about Simpson's boarding house. She had great meals for a very cheap price. Jennie Simpson was my great aunt. Unfortunately, I am not old enough to have ever eaten there, as she passed away before I was born. Her boarding house was on W. 3rd Street where the CGI Building is now located.

#15 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:36 AM

How about some props for Bailey's Bar B Q?

A real throwback to the '40s, and it's still there.

#16 ladyblue

ladyblue

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Birdland in Handley @ Feb 17 2008, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I asked my 88 year old Mom today what sort of timeframe she remembered for her cousin Ellis' McCulloch Cafe and she could not conjure up any info except "Ask anyone who worked Downtown --they all will remember it." But it delighted her that people interested in local history are asking about it. So thanks much for that, John Cirillo. 8)

I worked at the Cafe in 1965. I was nineteen years old and had a small son to support. Hard work but very rewarding.Met alot of nice people.
Ladyblue

#17 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

I know everyone's pretty much moved on from this topic, but I had to chime in my memory of the ol' hamburger stand that was on Main and 1st Streets.

I can remember my (much) older brother taking me there a few times many years ago (back in the late '70s up until the mid '80s), and he claimed that the stand made the best Coney Islands in Fort Worth. My most vivid memory of the stand was from one of those trips. It was wintertime, and the air was biting cold. Any slight breeze would make you hunker down even more in your coat and muffler, and the skies were a steel grey, but it seemed like the only sign of life in the area was around that hamburger stand.

I can still smell the aroma of the piping hot chili, melted cheese, and onions that was generously slathered onto the Coney Islands, and I remember seeing the wafts of steam that would float away with the cold breeze. Every time a really good Blue Norther blows in from way up north (namely Amarillo!), I get a hankerin' for a chili cheese dog with onions. It's the memory I take from that now closed down hamburger stand.

And I miss it.

--Saginaw
"If I only had a time machine..."

#18 wrccpa

wrccpa

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

What was the name of the hamburger place that off the street, tucked into a corner close to city hall and the old main library.

#19 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:04 AM

I think it went by the name Hamburg House; they offered many variations on the hamburger. ( I liked the blue cheese as a teenaged carnivore.)
Wasn't there was a little tension when the main library was torn down that that fine little turn of the century building would go too? But it's a nice little survival, last we looked. Isn't the real name the Bryce Building?
Weird as it was for them to abbreviate Hamburger to Hamburg, there was a mom-n-pop burger joint near BH Carroll school, called Hamburg Heaven. A fairly nondescript (but at least semi-googie) building, with wonderful signage--a flying hamburger with heavenly wings.

#20 wrccpa

wrccpa

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:34 AM

Thanks, I loved eating there. I am not sure what made it so special, but it was great place to go. I barely remember the library. I only went inside a few times.

#21 buffalo71

buffalo71

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

I remember the downtown Picadilly cafeteria. We would go there after Sunday morning church and our group would always sit upstairs. I'd always be so nervous walking up those stairs with a tray full of food.

Sunday nights after church (we went to church a lot!) we'd head out to Kip's Big Boy on University. I'd either have a Big Boy burger or chili spaghetti and would ALWAYS top it off with one of the best hot fudge sundaes ever. They served them in a silver sundae cup that would get frost on the outside because it was so cold...mmm.

Good memories for sure!

#22 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (John Cirillo @ Feb 8 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First, Richelieu Grill. This was at 415 Main. The building it was in is gone now. But what building was it? Was it historically significant? That's all I really want to know about it. I got to eat in there only once, probably in 1979. It was a very homey kind of diner with the bar and grill on the left and booths on the right as you walk in, if I'm remembering right.

Second, this place called Nick's Hamburgers. I only know of it from some photos Les Crocker has. It was at the corner of Main and 1st Street. The northwest corner if I have my directions right. I don't see the word Nick's on any of the pictures but Les is sure it was Nick's. I am wondering what years it was in operation. I can't find it in my 1978 or 1985 phone books (all I have). In the background on one of Les's photos I can see part of Tandy Center, so I know that photo had to be 1978 or later.

Third, McCullough's Cafeteria. This was at 208 W. Third. I ate there once in 1978. It was pretty crowded at lunch. Any info on this place would be nice.

I worked in Tandy Center at that time, but usually didn't venture far. Just along Throckmorton in front of Tandy Center there was a strip of buildings that had a Taco Plaza/Mr Beef and for a little while there was a barbecue restaurant. I forgot the name (Something Smoke Shack?) And another place called A Pocket Full. I usually went to those places until they razed the block for the Americana/Worthington Hotel. I am looking at a fuzzy slide I took from Tandy Center of that 200 block on Throckmorton. I can also see Randall Pharmacy, Thompson's Book Store, and Dial Finance.

John Cirillo

#23 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (John Cirillo @ Feb 8 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

John Cirillo

#24 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:37 PM

If memory serves, the hamburger stand at 1st and Main was World Famous Hamburgers. My friends and I would buy a sack of burgers (12 for a buck) there in late '40's. Think the Prop. was named George.

#25 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

The McCullough Cafe folks now have Dusty's Diner in River Oaks.

I think we've talked about Famous Hamburgers on a thread here.

#26 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything.

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (buffalo71 @ Aug 27 2008, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember the downtown Picadilly cafeteria. We would go there after Sunday morning church and our group would always sit upstairs. I'd always be so nervous walking up those stairs with a tray full of food.

Sunday nights after church (we went to church a lot!) we'd head out to Kip's Big Boy on University. I'd either have a Big Boy burger or chili spaghetti and would ALWAYS top it off with one of the best hot fudge sundaes ever. They served them in a silver sundae cup that would get frost on the outside because it was so cold...mmm.

Good memories for sure!

does anyone remember the Clover Grill, on Houston next to the Renfro Rexall Drugstore at 7th and Houston?

#27 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:40 AM

What explosion?

#28 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything.

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (JOHNFINLEY @ Oct 12 2008, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What explosion?

No, the NORTHEAST CORNER.

#29 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (Birdland in Handley @ Aug 21 2008, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Weird as it was for them to abbreviate Hamburger to Hamburg, there was a mom-n-pop burger joint near BH Carroll school, called Hamburg Heaven. A fairly nondescript (but at least semi-googie) building, with wonderful signage--a flying hamburger with heavenly wings.

Ah, yes -- I remember Hamburg Heaven very well. Never ate in there, though, for no apparent reason. It was just a memorable landmark I drove past several hundred times. smile.gif Don't know why it was abbreviated to "Hamburg," maybe it was shortened just so they could fit it onto the sign. The building is still there, though today it's a Mexican fast food joint.

#30 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:50 PM

We used to eat at Hamburg Heaven when I was a kid. I have not eaten at the Mexican fast food restaurant now in that location. I may give it a try someday.

#31 friscodana

friscodana

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

Didn't Striplings have a restaurant called the Pink Rooster? I remember it as a little girl - had a prime rib roast carving station with mashed potatoes. It was a classic. Can't find anyone that remembers it. We used to use the Striplings parking garage every Saturday when we went to downtown in the late 50's and 60's.

#32 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Oct 14 2008, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We used to eat at Hamburg Heaven when I was a kid. I have not eaten at the Mexican fast food restaurant now in that location. I may give it a try someday.

Just remembered something about Hamburg Heaven: As a very young kid seeing that sign, I always thought that the character Wimpy from "Popeye" would be eating in there. You remember how he kept eating hamburgers in the cartoons. "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today..."

#33 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (friscodana @ Oct 15 2008, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't Striplings have a restaurant called the Pink Rooster? I remember it as a little girl - had a prime rib roast carving station with mashed potatoes. It was a classic. Can't find anyone that remembers it. We used to use the Striplings parking garage every Saturday when we went to downtown in the late 50's and 60's.

Oh, the elegant tearooms and such that fancy downtown department stores had! I can remember only shopping in the stores. I was too little or/and my parents were too thrifty to treat us to the actual restaurants. I'd love to see replies to this and expanded info about DT:The Department Stores.

#34 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:50 AM

I think I've eaten at least one lunch in every one of the department store restaurants downtown. Don't remember much about them, except that once (I think it was at Cox's) we met a Sherrif's deputy, who gave me a blank bullet from his belt. Must have been around 6-8 at the time.

#35 m lambert

m lambert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (Saginaw @ Jun 25 2008, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know everyone's pretty much moved on from this topic, but I had to chime in my memory of the ol' hamburger stand that was on Main and 1st Streets.

I can remember my (much) older brother taking me there a few times many years ago (back in the late '70s up until the mid '80s), and he claimed that the stand made the best Coney Islands in Fort Worth. My most vivid memory of the stand was from one of those trips. It was wintertime, and the air was biting cold. Any slight breeze would make you hunker down even more in your coat and muffler, and the skies were a steel grey, but it seemed like the only sign of life in the area was around that hamburger stand.

I can still smell the aroma of the piping hot chili, melted cheese, and onions that was generously slathered onto the Coney Islands, and I remember seeing the wafts of steam that would float away with the cold breeze. Every time a really good Blue Norther blows in from way up north (namely Amarillo!), I get a hankerin' for a chili cheese dog with onions. It's the memory I take from that now closed down hamburger stand.

And I miss it.

In the late 40s you could get five Coney Islands for aquarter.

--Saginaw

#36 cincyvid

cincyvid

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (friscodana @ Oct 15 2008, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I've been trying to think of the name of that place. The Roast Beef was amazing, and remember the hot fresh donuts at Striplings downtown. I used to love watching them getting made and the dough riding into the hot oil on those little flat train car-like conveyor.

#37 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:48 AM

My mother's parent's took me to McColloch's on a Saturday afternoon when I was 8 years old(1958). As soon as we sat down, my father's parent's came in to eat. That was ironic, especially when my father's parents lived 50 miles away. I loved the desserts.

QUOTE (Birdland in Handley @ Feb 9 2008, 06:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I beleive the Richelieu Grill was famous, or at least popular, for its chili. And it was a hangout for StartTleGram employees.
Don't know about the burgers.
The McCulloch Cafe was run by my mom's cousin Ellis McCulloch and his wife Charliss. It was not a cafeteria; it was a diner of the blue plate special genre. Most offerings were a plate with meat and two veg or an all veg plate, as I recall. For dessert, cousin Ellis made mighty good pies. I remember a pecan pie or two at family functions, bliss. I'll ask my mom if she remembers a timeframe on when this diner started and closed.
I'm pretty sure it was closed down by the time of the explosion. I think Ellis and Charliss had departed our earth by then. I remember that the building was destroyed in the gas explosion John refers to. It was on Christmas eve or Christmas day, so there were no injuries--downtown was closed. It got one of my faves shops, Thompson's Bookstore. Seems like the local news just reported that it was a bad gas line, so if anyone has dish on rivalries, etc, please post!

#38 WCS59

WCS59

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:29 AM

Didn't Striplings have a restaurant called the Pink Rooster? I remember it as a little girl - had a prime rib roast carving station with mashed potatoes. It was a classic. Can't find anyone that remembers it. We used to use the Striplings parking garage every Saturday when we went to downtown in the late 50's and 60's.<!--

Yes, I've been trying to think of the name of that place. The Roast Beef was amazing, and remember the hot fresh donuts at Striplings downtown. I used to love watching them getting made and the dough riding into the hot oil on those little flat train car-like conveyor.

The Pink Rooster also featured a large ice cream soda called the Tall Texan.

Right across 1st Street from the Stripling's loading zone was Betty's Grill, where I had my first chicken fried steak.

#39 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:16 AM

Does anyone remember Eskimo's? It was an old hamburger stand on the corner of Henderson and 7th St (acrosse corner from the Firestone Tire).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users