#51 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:26 PM

Well, there were demolition permits being taken out some months ago, but those have stopped, meaning either interior demo is finished or the owner/developer has hit some kind of snag. The City of Fort Worth's approval process is efficient, but also pretty exacting. The development review folks try their hardest to make sure the stuff built in FW isn't crap, and that's what might contribute to the wait, but I think the real problem is on the devleopers side. It seems that developers propose stuff, and then never follow through. Maybe Dallas is different because developers are more accustomed to actual development? I think the Fort Worth market is still trying to adapt to rapid growth from the 90's onwards, after 40 years of virtual stagnation compared to our sunbelt brethren... <_<

#52 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:23 PM

I guess you're right, Johnny. It just seems that as soon as a project is announced here in Dallas, you see movement right away or right when they say construction will begin. I used to live and FW and currently work in our DTFW office almost every Friday, and I notice it just seems like things take forever, if at all. I can think of several projects that were announced that have still to materialize. It's just frustrating to see FW's urban core progress so slowly...it's trailing other comparable and even smaller cities.

#53 WTx

WTx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Buildings of the 20's - 40's.

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:29 PM

I walked by there Sat morn and noticed there were the bright orange inspection stickers in the window?? FYI. Maybe this means something is going on.

#54 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:35 PM

Those bright orange Permit Inspection Notices have been there for almost a year and a half.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#55 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:50 PM

... maybe the reason FW is lagging behind other cities in core development is because it does take so long to get anything through all the red tape. Maybe the city makes it to hard to build in this city and that's why projects come and go without anthing ever happening. That certainly would help support my claim that "the powers that be" in this city do not want much growth, either upward or outward, in downtown. Wouldn't "red taping" projects to death be a great way to control things without actually having any responsibility for projects falling through?

#56 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:12 PM

... maybe the reason FW is lagging behind other cities in core development is because it does take so long to get anything through all the red tape. Maybe the city makes it to hard to build in this city and that's why projects come and go without anthing ever happening.

View Post

I honestly don't think that Fort Worth has any more red tape than any other large American city. Actually, I would say we have less. I remember a thread and/or media story somewhere where a Dallasite complained about how the City of Dallas made development in downtown so difficult.

Trust me, my mentor is the head of the development review division for the City and I've seen a LOT of projects - urban and suburban - that have truly stupid mistakes and deviations from guidelines that developers try to sneak past the City for whatever reason (most likely money). Of course, the City says "uh-uh, not going to happen, fix it and see us again" to which some developers just give up. So, if anything, developers are the ones choking their own projects to death by not reading the rules or following zoning ordinances (another reason things might take a while, zoning changes are often required). If you should be frustrated with anyone Willy, I'd suggest the local and national development community - the locals too conservative to do anything, the nationals too ignorant to look into us (so far). That's who I blame the lack of development on, but then again, what do I know?

At least we still have Tom Struhs! Even he makes mistakes though...(dude, why didn't you just follow the PD YOU came up with, your 600 Samuels project wouldn't have required a zoning hearing!!) <_<

#57 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:28 AM

See what I mean?

http://www.dfw.com/m...al/12348594.htm

Dennis Myles said city employees sometimes have to deal with irate customers.

"People think it's easy being a city employee," Myles said, "but you have disgruntled customers and a lot of people who can't get done what they want to get done."

Some people are just crazy...thankfully, no one was hurt. It's going to be one interesting rest of the week. :rolleyes:

#58 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:39 AM

See what I mean?

http://www.dfw.com/m...al/12348594.htm

Dennis Myles said city employees sometimes have to deal with irate customers.

"People think it's easy being a city employee," Myles said, "but you have disgruntled customers and a lot of people who can't get done what they want to get done."

Some people are just crazy...thankfully, no one was hurt. It's going to be one interesting rest of the week. :rolleyes:

View Post

Hey it's not fun being a customer either. Two years ago I paid for a tiny plot of land next to my dad's house . I was in a good mood and everybody and I do mean everybody down at Zoning was a sour puss. Not a happy face to be found. Everytime I went. If you ever deal with City Hall you know you never have your business done in one day. Red tape and all.

Only the DPS office is the other something I never look forward to going but thankfully it's every so many years. :lol:

#59 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:49 PM

Those babes down at Building Permits/ C of Occupancy Permits are HOT. Love having converstions with them, city time is city dime. :rolleyes:
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#60 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:25 PM

:smwink: Oh saf...always thinking of the important things.

#61 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:17 AM

Those babes down at Building Permits/ C of Occupancy Permits are HOT. Love having converstions with them, city time is city dime. :D

View Post

You so lucky I always get the East German wretlers. :smwink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users