12 replies to this topic

#1 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:48 PM

With the news of the first Alamo Drafthouse in Tarrant Counting to be built in NRH, I thought: where would be the best place for Fort Worth to get its first?

My suggestion: The rest of the block that the Wells Fargo wedge once stood.

eLSTrds.png

The red rectangle is where I'd build the cineplex with the grey and white hashmarks being used as parking. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#2 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

I believe that the Alamo Drafthouse, while having the sound of Texas authenticity, is not the best fit for the Stockyards. 

The AD, from this outsider's observation, offer films that one can view almost anywhere in Fort Worth.  It is me; I could be wrong, but I do not see AD offering an uniquely film goer's experience that matches the uniqueness of the Stockyards.

And too, I am excited and hope that the proposed New Isis Theater with its venue of live performances and film will be popular and successful.  The NIT is both iconic and is a intrinsic part of the Stockyards; not just another corporate franchise wanting to come into the district.

http://www.fortworth...b563c18127.html

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:01 AM

I wouldn't call Alamo Drafthouse just another corporate chain at all.  Most of their showings are in line with what other theaters are playing, but their events definitely set them apart.  Just glancing at the Richardson location's calendar shows subtitled foreign films every day, family friendly theme parties (Clue and The Sandlot), classic re-releases several days each week (Harvey, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, The Philadelphia Story).  They also do one-time documentary showings (one I wanted to see last years played at Richardson and the Cedars, I saw it closer to home).

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

From all accounts, AD has been a roaring success; its footprint is large.  It would certainly be welcomed in either Riverside or Near South; however, the Stockyard District is an area where new entrants, particularly of the corporately branded kind, should be vigorously scrutinized. 

It may some a bit protectionist, but I do favor projects that evolve from restoration and redevelopment of the existing infrastructure such as the Isis Theater.

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:58 PM

Although I would welcome an Alamo Drafthouse in Fort Worth, I would rather see the New Isis Theater restored in the Stockyards.

#6 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

Two things on my proposal here:

- I do realize New Isis is already getting a renovation and being reused, but I don't believe it's being reused for its original purpose, if I'm not mistaken. 

- I wanted to choose one of Core Hoods and the Stockyards were the first to come to mind so they wouldn't have to compete with anyone. BUT, I could think of some other spaces... 

7fwPZnE.png

#7 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

A Core Hood that is up and coming, yet easily overlooked is the Riverside Six Points Urban Village.  An Alamo Drafthouse would be a great addition to this area;  I think - perhaps situated at the intersection of Sylvania and Race Streets.

The City would be wise to offer AD an encouragement to further more development for this promising neighborhood.

#8 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

Are they ALL large or do they vary in size?

I've only been to one Drafthouse and it was in Austin... Basically looked like every Movie Tavern I've seen.

7fwPZnE.png

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

A Core Hood that is up and coming, yet easily overlooked is the Riverside Six Points Urban Village.  An Alamo Drafthouse would be a great addition to this area;  I think - perhaps situated at the intersection of Sylvania and Race Streets.

The City would be wise to offer AD an encouragement to further more development for promising neighborhood.

Given the recent trend of suburbanish locations I could totally see one next to Top Golf.

#10 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:37 PM

EAST

This little area where Top Golf is doesn't have a name... so I'll give it one. 

Trinit-E
a6N4Lky.jpg

River Arts District location
Mt5i5nk.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#11 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:42 AM

I was hoping we'd get an Alamo in a location/style like the one south of downtown Dallas. This is disappointing. Hopefully FW proper isn't far behind.

--

Kara B.

#12 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:19 PM

I was hoping we'd get an Alamo in a location/style like the one south of downtown Dallas. This is disappointing. Hopefully FW proper isn't far behind.

Agreed. The Ceaders location was my basis for this. 

Anyway, some Southside options

Magnolia Avenue

lbXFGkt.jpg

South Main

vOukm0D.jpg

Two Rosedale locations:

WUHLgZA.jpg

UzuRnKp.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#13 Presidio Interests

Presidio Interests

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

Alamo Drafthouse would be a good tenant in central Fort Worth somewhere.  Its hard (expensive) to find a site big enough to fit the cinemas and accommodate the heavy parking load.   Some of the sites you identified are already in some predevelopment stage now.  One is across the street from our Magnolia May project (401 -411 W. Magnolia), on the former City Vending property.  That is now owned by UT Southwestern.  We would welcome and love having a theater right across the street on Magnolia, however I would guess that UTSW has some of their own long term plans for that land. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users